By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello and a question to start with
07/02/2020 09:14:24

Glad you sorted it Ian. Your chuck body is probably hardened so I doubt that a JT33 reamer would have helped anyway. I have also resorted to Loctite to make sure a chuck doesn't come off the taper - I don't see why it isn't a perfectly good engineering solution.

Thread: What is This?
06/02/2020 21:09:39

I've seen a ham wrapped in foil and baked in a Traction Engine smokebox, but never a spud baked in an exhaust pipe...

Thread: Linked belt for Myford 7
06/02/2020 17:26:25

Initially I fitted a plastic belt sold by RDG as suitable for the S7 - however it was designed for the older smaller bore lathes that have wider vees and slipped horribly. I ended up buying a more expensive one from RS the right size for the pulleys and it has been fine.

06/02/2020 16:19:16

I am. Where did you order it and for which version of the S7?

Thread: Where to acquire a small amount of bromine
06/02/2020 14:43:50

Bromine is a gas, liquid at room temperature IIRC my A level chemistry. It is an element in the same group as chlorine and fluorine in the periodic table. Nasty, corrosive stuff, used alongside chlorine as a poison gas I think in WW1. See: **LINK**

Do you really need bromine as such or a bromide? (E.g. silver bromide.)

Thread: What is This?
06/02/2020 09:44:23

Vague resemblance to some sort of bottle opener? Essential tool in the workshop.

Thread: Hello and a question to start with
05/02/2020 16:45:42

Is the chuck falling off the Jacobs taper or the morse taper falling out of its socket?

Thread: Denford Novamill
04/02/2020 13:59:38

I can recommend the Novamill though may be worth updating the electronics. Though small, very rigid and mechanically excellent. If I didn't have one already I'd be very interested!

Thread: Myford S7 long bed
02/02/2020 19:48:40

PXF is extremely useful. For one thing it makes parting off much less traumatic.

Thread: ML7 how much space needed?
02/02/2020 16:01:29

img_20200202_151230347_hdr.jpg

This is my S7. It's tucked into a corner with the big mill on the left and in a gap at the end of the bench on the right (orange handled screwdriver). The front of the swarf tray is 60 cm from the back wall, the gap between the mill and the wall with the shelves is 150 cm. It's just about convenient to work on but I wouldn't want any less space.

Thread: Building a miniature router for inlay
02/02/2020 08:36:12

Lots of router spindles as used in cheaply CNC machines on eBay. Kress spindles are supposed to be very good but more expensive than Dremel. Or regard the dremel as disposable!

Thread: Superglue chucks
01/02/2020 11:27:31

My local B&Q stocks the blue Scotch tape - that's where I got it from.

**LINK**

Thread: A question of beat
31/01/2020 06:54:24

Ah, but how do you estimate the 15 seconds?

29/01/2020 13:34:41

Once people needed time resolution to 1 second but displaying hours minutes and seconds the die was cast. For example if you were taking a sight of the sun on board a ship a 1 second error at the equator would amount to a quarter of a nautical mile, the difference between shipwreck and safety. So you would want your chronometer to register seconds, even if the balance would beat faster. Then you needs a ratio of 60:1 (or a quotient of 0.016666....) between the seconds and minute hand. Not a lot of choice of ratios to get this given 60 has prime factors 2x2x3x5. Similarly for the minute to hour hand, and possibly worse with fewer prime factors. The fact that so many clocks have run for so many hundreds of years without having many relatively prime ratios perhaps means that wear from this cause isn't so much of a problem.

Once you get into electric and quartz clocks where the whole train is "motion work" it carries hardly any power and the forces are minimal.

Thread: Home made T&C jig
29/01/2020 08:19:04

Now you have a mill tha Acute grinder is a nice project. Upgrade your grinder with a CBN wheel.

Thread: A question of beat
28/01/2020 22:24:13

Well a pair of gears is bound to have a whole number ratio surely!

In the motion work as opposed to the going train the gears carry very little load.

28/01/2020 12:20:15

Yes I do know what a factor is, thanks. It was just the expression that puzzled me. Quite common I think to see a 60:1 ratio as an 8:60 x 8x64 teeth = 7.5 x 8 = 60.

28/01/2020 09:36:31

Well, they are always going to be a "factor" surely, since both have integer numbers of teeth? Was the point to try to make sure that they are relatively prime (if possible) to distribute wear evenly, or something like that? In any case you have to have specific ratios between hour and minute, and minute and seconds hand, if it has one.

28/01/2020 07:24:23

Unlike a pendulum I guess making a balance for a specific period is rather hard unless you have a lot of data on the spring material etc. So maybe he started with the balance and designed the train to suit?

Thread: Stepper motor and driver supplier recomendations
27/01/2020 14:11:25

Not exactly UK based...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest