By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello from Julz, new member
23/01/2020 07:54:08

img_20181127_172122697_hdr.jpg

Welcome Julz. Nice to have another U3 hacker on here. Here's a photo of mine, now has a collet spindle, 3 phase motor and VFD. More photos in one of my albums, including of the Turnado - inspired hand turning tool.

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
21/01/2020 07:29:43

In answer to the question - obviously not! Why do you need one?

Thread: Gathering pallet
20/01/2020 16:38:16

You need a taper pin reamer don't you? They can be bought, or you can make another arbor with the same taper out of silver steel, file nearly half the diameter off longitudinally, polish the face and harden/temper to make a d-bit reamer.

Since taper pin reamers are used in clockmaking e.g. for making holes for taper pins holding pillars in plates, Timmins may have designed the arbor taper to fit a standard size.

Hmm.  Tracy sell such reamers that seem to be 1:50 or 1:48 and are horribly pricy.  Maybe remake the arbor to a standard taper?

Will send you a PM.

Edited By John Haine on 20/01/2020 16:43:50

Thread: CNC Model building board
20/01/2020 14:04:15

Rod, have PM'd you.

20/01/2020 11:36:49

I've vgot quite a lot of Valchromat bits, black and blue. I could spare some, how much do you need?

You might also try this stuff on MDF to seal the surface before milling.  It gets soaked up like rain in the desert into MDF, apply several coats (outside) and allow to dry thoroughly.  Binds the fibres together in a resin matrix.

Edited By John Haine on 20/01/2020 11:52:33

Thread: projects
20/01/2020 09:32:55

Some nice projects in Guy Lautard's Machinist's Reader (3 volumes).

Turner's Cube?

Thread: Stepper motor and driver supplier recomendations
20/01/2020 09:23:12

Zapp Automation for stepper motors. But consider if you really need to replace them - I built new driver electronics for a Denford Novamill using the bog standard 2M542 drivers and keeping the original motors. There's no sign that it's short of torque on the axis drives.

I suspect that there are now much better drivers than Gecko around based on the latest generation of stepper driver ICs (unless Gecko have also updated).  Maybe ask on mycncuk?

Edited By John Haine on 20/01/2020 09:24:37

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
20/01/2020 08:43:18
Posted by Clive India on 20/01/2020 07:40:24:
Posted by Clive India on 19/01/2020 16:14:41:

Did anyone take pictures? Could we see them?

Grateful for the pictures of posters of a bygone era - but no pictures of 2020 AP?

Just Photoshop ones from previous years....

Thread: CNC Model building board
20/01/2020 08:41:54

If you mean something like high quality mdf then you could try Valchromat.

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition 2020
19/01/2020 09:11:56

One hopeful sign, maybe because of there being less visitors and easier to notice, there were a few women actually looking at tools with interest as if they might buy. But general impression was of old grey men (like me).

Interesting comparison with knitting - its growing popularity does show that people are interested in making things.

Thread: How to soften steel
19/01/2020 09:08:11
Posted by Steviegtr on 18/01/2020 14:04:51:

Thanks for the comments. The reason I was going to change the tool post was that when I bought the lathe it came with a box of parts. In there were about 20 cutting tools, all 1/2" square. There were 3 small ones between 8 & 10mm square. 1 is chipped. So that's the reason. If I leave it for a few years as advised, until I am up to scratch with working it. I will have to buy some more cutting tools of the smaller size. Is that the way to go.

1/2" square is much bigger than you need on a Myford. If you're going to use HSS, buy some 3/8 or 5/16 HSS blanks, they are cheap enough. Actually for most turning jobs a simple RH knife tool will work, so you only need one! Smaller HSS is easier to grind as well.

Or, get a Diamond toolholder from Eccentric Engineering, or make one (lots of discussion here). It will do almost everything you need except boring.

Making extensive mods to a machine tool to suit a few superannuated lumps of HSS is a waste of time.

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
18/01/2020 13:57:29

Oh dear, I missed them then.

18/01/2020 13:05:09

Triumph of hope over experience for me. Great sense of deja vu at each except that the number of exhibitors reduces year by year. I went with a friend who cam last year and the year before too, we agreed that this would probably be the last time. Even fewer vendors than before, no SMEE, no clocks that I could see, same old models, distinctly lower attendance on the Friday than previous years.

Thread: Mobile Phone
18/01/2020 11:46:32
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 17/01/2020 21:10:50:

.......I live quite close to a mast and still only get one bar they'll tell me next I live to close, this is not the first time Ive complained but today I think I drew the village idot I will be phoning them again on Monday asking to talk to someone higher up the ladder

H

Being close to the base station would only help if its operator is the one that Tesco use to provide the actual service (which I think is O2). We nearly have line of sight to a mast less than half a mile away but O2 don't have a base station on it so it's no use.

Thread: Cutting teeth on a spur gear
17/01/2020 21:04:24

Yes you're right Jason, I forgot the addendum. Still the undercut problem with 8 teeth. For Michael's 10 teeth the module would be 4.2 mm at the same shaft diameter, or if the shaft was made 6 mm diameter you could go for 10 teeth. But it depends on the tooth form and module of the mating gear which presumably exists.

17/01/2020 20:32:31

You have two problems here Eric.

First, you need a cutter with module 5/8 = 0.625 mm which is non-standard at least for conventional involute gears.

Second, I believe that anyway an involute pinion with 8 teeth cannot be cut using a normal circular gear cutter because the teeth are undercut, at least for standard pressure angles. Looking for example at the Davall Gear Catalogue they jump from 0.5 to 0.7 mm module and therr standard range has a minimum tooth count of 12.

Pinions with small numbers of teeth are used in clocks with a so-called "cycloidal" form which has no undercut. As far as I know the only supplier around is PP Thornton who could supply you with an 0.6 mm module cutter but it will cost you £68.50.

If you could post a photo of the mating gear it would be easy to see if it used a cycloid or involute form. If it is cycloidal then you can make a flycutter quite easily.

Thread: Mobile Phone
17/01/2020 20:16:53

How well a phone works depends on network coverage, radio performance of the phone, and its internal software stack. The radio performance of phones (receiver sensitivity, effective radiated power etc) depends to a large extent on its physical design, size of its internal antennas and so on. Radio performance is a constant struggle between what the phone designed wants it to look like, ever increasing complexity and number of bands etc, and there are a lot of phones around that are frankly pretty ropy just considered as radios so they may not work as well as they ought to given the available network coverage.

There are only a small number of manufacturers of the actual chipsets used in phones - about 3 now - and working on a network depends on a complicated software stack in the phone which come from the same suppliers. Because phones have evolved over 3 generations of digital mobile technology - and now a 4th coming in - and every phone has to work on at least 3 network technologies today (2G/3G/4G) there seem to be odd behaviours in chipsets from particular suppliers that persist in phones for years.

We have had at least 2 phones in the past that have exhibited an odd behaviour where, despite apparently having a good signal and showing they have service, they will neither make nor receive calls or texts. Once they get in this mode the only thing to do is to restart the phone whereupon you may get deluged with texts and voicemail alerts, and all the texts you though you had sent but were queued in the phone get sent. This seems to be characteristic of a particular software stack from one of the major chip vendors. We haven't seen it on recent phones (2 Motorolas) but my wife just got a new Samsung phone where we have had the old problem reoccur. Since the chipset supplier concerned dominates the industry it is quite probable that this could have caused your problem.

So there is a basis for what you are told though it's very garbled - if the phone and stack are working properly it should work seamlessly without restarting provided its home network or one where your home provider has a roaming agreement in place has coverage.

Thread: rolling brass strip in the lathe
16/01/2020 09:47:33

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, especially Jason and Mr. Godley for the photos of setups. I'll report back on progress when I've tried it, one way or t'other!

Thread: Driving Small Taps
16/01/2020 09:44:47

Certainly down to M3 I almost always tap in the mill under power, if possible at the same setting just used to drill the hole with the tap in the chuck. Set the VFD frequency to just under 10 Hz-ish, use the quill lever feed to bring the point of the tap down to nestling in the hole keeping it under light pressure throughout, switch the drive to fwd so the tap cuts the thread, once it has threaded through switch to reverse to withdraw the tap. If it's a blind hole I just start the tap this was, then stop, lock quill, loosen chuck leaving the tap in the work, raise quill, finish off using a tee bar tap holder. Touch wood, I haven't broken a tap yet this way.

Thread: rolling brass strip in the lathe
15/01/2020 08:41:07

Thanks Jason! I knew that bending rolls would do the job from an article in HJ but not wanting to buy a set just for one job I need to improvise the same method. I hadn't thought of using the mill but that looks much better than the lathe. I've got a couple of big bearings too.

Thanks also for the other suggestions.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest