By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Websites for the Bored
08/04/2020 11:34:07

I don't think anyone has nominated Clickspring yet? Brilliant craftsman.

Numberphile is very good.

If you're interested in clocks, Horolophile.

Thread: Percival Marshall gramophone message?
07/04/2020 16:28:01

Given when it was made one hopes they have a backup in case someone drops it, and for when they run out of needles!

Thread: Recent conversions of Warco WM18 to CNC?
06/04/2020 22:13:02

I suggest that you fire up M3 in simulation mode at least and play with the screens and wizards as a way to build up familiarity. You may as well use what you have. I've used M3 for ~10 years and have a lot of learning invested as some custom macros and things, so I'm not going to change until the PC driving it gives out because there would be a lot of re-work to do, but if I didn't have that old PC I would start differently now.

Thread: Homemade Lathe Tools
06/04/2020 19:58:57

img_1345.jpg

This is a tangential lathe tool holder I made for my Unimat.

img_20181216_170520235_hdr.jpg

This is it on its accesory base for hand turning a la "Turnado"

toolpost1.jpg

This is a replacement tool holder for my S7 to ensure rigidity and repeatable QCTP mounting.

Thread: Myford Super 7 with 'Big Bore Conversion'
05/04/2020 14:08:49

I have a Myford "big bore" S7 and frankly an MT4 taper is a pain! Apart from anything else you can't get any MT4 tooling to fit because the taper is shortened - I bought an MT4 arbor from RDG (why own Myford?) to make a tool setter and it was too long! The only MT4 thing I have is a short plug with an MT2 hole supplied with the lathe by Myford - why on earth they didn't just make it ER40 in the first place I don't know.

Thread: Recent conversions of Warco WM18 to CNC?
04/04/2020 10:14:50

I've taken a few screen photos of Mach3 to show the wizards. First 3 is the full list.

img_20200404_095309016.jpg

img_20200404_095316809_hdr.jpg

img_20200404_095258041_hdr.jpg

Then 3 of the config forms for the bolt patterns.

img_20200404_095154116_hdr.jpg

img_20200404_095113916_hdr.jpg

img_20200404_095023752.jpg

BUT - if you are just planning a mill conversion I suggest that you DON'T use Mach 3!! This is because its development stopped years ago, NFS no longer support it and bugs only get fixed by courtesy of users. The availability of surplus PCs that can drive the parallel port is drying up, and even if you use a separate motion controller that probably isn't supported in M3 if it (the controller) gets updated, and there's a stream of issues with Windows releases that create new incompatibilities.

If you stick with Mach, go to Mach 4, you will then really need a separate motion controller. I'm not familiar with M4 but I'm sure it has a similar range of wizards. Or there are a number of other systems out there.

03/04/2020 15:52:31

What do you want to make that the wizards would not do, out of interest? I'm not saying that they will do everything but many common "manual" milling jobs can be done. Also each wizard generates G code that you can copy and use to piece together more complex programs. To go beyond the wizards there are some simple and in some cases free CAM tools which generate gcode for more complex jobs. Once you start with wizards and simple CAM and start to see G code in action you might want to start writing your own but I suspect that many CNC machinists never work at the G code level.

03/04/2020 15:11:02
Posted by Martin Connelly on 02/04/2020 23:58:02:

Jack M, Mach3 has manual data input (MDI), no programming required, so you can get started with a converted mill before you progress to programs and CAD/CAM. You just need to know a few gcode commands to make the mill do what you do manually such as move the x axis 20mm to the left (or right) or the y axis away or towards you. Read through this to get an idea of using MDI. A mini wireless usb keyboard is useful as well for jogging the machine around.

Using MDI

Martin C

You can use the MDI but the only thing I use it for is parting on the lathe. Much more useful on both lathe and mill are the suite of Wizards provided by Mach to do a wide range of common machining tasks.

Thread: Mystery Tool.
02/04/2020 13:42:41
Posted by AdrianR on 02/04/2020 12:49:54:

Pure guess, it is to remove clock hands

+1

Thread: Gear Cutting - Pressure angle.
01/04/2020 17:53:51

As Andrew says you can use any pressure angle you like as long as they are all the same.

The minimum pinion count for involute is determined by the fact that the teeth get undercut which means they are hard to shape. I have a spreadsheet (based on an original from Mike Cox) to turn the G code to make involute cutters for any tooth count and pressure angle based on the usual circular approximation. This includes a flag to warn when the tooth count for a given pressure angle is too low to avoid undercutting. For a pressure angle of 17.5 degrees this tells me that the minimum tooth count is 20.

Thread: Insulating board that won't drop powder as it is touched
29/03/2020 21:37:25

Rockwool? After all someone who has made one recommends it.

29/03/2020 13:55:32

Jake Sutton, a brilliant clockmaker, described using a bluing box in Horological Journal last July and mentioned a useful mod to reduce the heating of the outside of the housing. This was to use Rockwool-type roofing insulation rather than vermiculite.

Thread: Coversion charts
29/03/2020 08:02:43

People have been complaining about this site only hosting jpgs for years, it's about time that was fixed!

Thread: Best Milling Machine Ever????
29/03/2020 07:57:10

I inherited an Aciera F1 from my Dad. He got it from the company he worked from when they shut down the labs, had been used making electron microscope parts. Only trouble was the feed screws were very worn. Lovely machine, originally designed for the Swiss watch industry, but too small for model engineering really. I sold it to a collector and bought a Myford VMB with the proceeds. Not the best but does the job for me.

Thread: Myford ML7 4mm Screw Cutting
28/03/2020 09:11:42

As the ML7 leadscrew is 1/8" pitch you will need slightly more than one rev of the l/s per headstock rev. The leadscrew may well be absorbing more energy than the headstock! You should consider using a setup that does most of the cutting with the leading flank of the tool and applying only very small cuts.

Thread: Tom Senior light X Axis power feed
27/03/2020 08:23:23

Stick the magnet on the steel or iron pulley with a dab of epoxy underneath and leave to set. You only need a very small magnet, say 3 x 2 mm. It won't come off nor significantly unbalance the pulley. Remember the larger the radius it's fitted the smaller the unbalance force.

Thread: 7 pin connector 240v?
26/03/2020 16:33:55

When Weller first introduced their temperature controlled soldering irons the lead from the base to the iron, which needed 3 wires carrying 24V AC and ground, were attached at the base to shrouded terminals with little strain relief. So they upgraded the design and used a miniature Bulgin type connector - this was about a half-scale version of the old 1" diameter bulgin connectors that were often used for the mains lead on various instruments, hifi etc before IEC connectors came along. However the small Bulgin was actually designed to carry mains and certain equipment actually used it for that so there were mains leads around with 13A plugs on one end and the miniature Bulgin plug on the other - and it was possible to plug this in to the 24V output on the soldering iron base!

Well one bright spark technician in the Post Office Research dept where I worked thought they would demonstrate to the safety people what could happen - it was most spectacular as the transformer tried to deliver 2400V to the mains plug! That design did not last very long! A good demonstration of why careful connector selection is very important.

Thread: Thread heading looking weird
26/03/2020 16:25:24

Same problem for me with Chrome, has been like this for a while.

Thread: Mute Microphone in Windows 10
26/03/2020 16:24:39

In my experience with win10 it is an audio disaster area. Problem is that it is very inconsistent between applications, some work, some don't, some are intermittent.

Thread: EMI from electric shavers etc
26/03/2020 11:37:37

If nature had intended us to shave we wouldn't have evolved beards...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest