By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gents impulse clock
16/06/2019 15:53:15

Hmmm...that link doesn't work very well with an emoji in it Robert! Please could you try again?

16/06/2019 13:58:01

As the clock is a bit of a "Topsy", there aren't really nice drawings for a constructor to follow I'm afraid. I have wondered about a more "this is what I did" type article for HJ.

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 10:00:49

Here in East Anglia, though we have had some rain in the last week, we have basically had a drought for an extended period of 2 - 3 years. When we moved here, we were warned about flooding in the vicinity, water was regularly running down the village main street, steams were full, paths muddy. None of that now. It would be all very well piping drinking water in from the NW where it's very wet, but there's no way you could import enough to soak the soil. Basically the climate is changing, it's getting hotter and drier, and extremes, of rain as well as temperature, are becoming more common. But the average rainfall here has declined a lot.

Thread: Gents impulse clock
15/06/2019 10:49:51
Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 14/06/2019 17:01:49:

Slightly off-topic because this thread is principally about Gents rather than Synchronome.

I was told by Barry (he of Barry's Virtual Clock Museum ) that the Kerplllunk emitted every 30 seconds by a Synchronome master clock installed in domestic premises has been known to sunder marriages!!!!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Indeed, one of the reasons why my re-build of a Synchronome resets the gravity arm with a little stepper motor and uses another stepper to drive the hands, replacing the electromagnet in the slave clock. An Arduino controls the steppers sensing the pendulum with an opto coupler. Some teething problems, but nearly going.

15/06/2019 10:46:20

Dave, the errors don't cancel, quite. They add up as a sort of "drunkard's walk" depending on the type of disturbance and the Q of the pendulum.

Thread: ER25 collet arbour grub screw
12/06/2019 20:42:27

It may be to make sure the cutter goes in at a repeatable projection from the collet. I have some ER16 collet chucks with something similar.

Thread: Illegal CD copy
10/06/2019 12:18:40

A slightly different situation, but all the archive of the Horological Journal has been scanned (from 1858 I believe) and is available to members on the BHI website. What's more, it's been OCR'd which makes the text searchable. I suspect that there's more interest in ME back numbers than HJ.

Thread: Myford Dividing Head and Raising Block
09/06/2019 10:58:25

You probably need a raising block, but easy to make one, could use a lump of aluminium, cast iron, or mild steel.

Also if you are using an ER20 collet then I guess it's in an MT2 collet chuck? That will have quite a long overhang which will contribute to the problem. The Myford DH is best used with MT2 collets that fit the arbor direct, as long as your stock fits a standard collet. Options are either the Myford collets with the threaded closer, which are rarer than hen's dentures these days and anyway expensive; or to buy single finger collets like these and use a bit of studding as a drawbar.

Thread: Need to drill a hole digital caliper
07/06/2019 14:27:42

**LINK**

Sorry, I forgot the link.

07/06/2019 13:23:45

Look for cobalt drills. I bought this set from Toolstation and they are excellent - went straight through my Dickson toolholder block. Use moderate speed, quite a lot of pressure, lubricate.

Thread: Recommendation for a 3 phase electricity book?
07/06/2019 08:12:13

The Wikipedia article is quite a good introduction, and the MIT document Robert links to looks pretty complete. There are lots of similar compendia of lecture notes on the web, they seem to have replaced the engineering textbooks I used to have to buy during my degree. If you want definitive guidance on installation etc then look at the IET books.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Bed for Power Cross Feed
06/06/2019 12:46:53

Nothing as far as I know, they're identical.

Thread: Salvaging Useful Parts from Printers
06/06/2019 10:03:18

Forget the electronics for making a 3D printer. The only parts useful would be the rods I think, and modern printers don't really have those. They used to use stepper motors which could be useful, but now have DC motors and encoders, much less useful because you need quite tricky real-time software for accurate control. The life of an ink-jet printer is so short that they have to engineer out every cent of surplus cost.

Thread: Quicksilver
06/06/2019 09:58:24

Never mercury, they used originally tin but now lead - see the informative article on Wikipedia. The bath has to be at the glass temperature so it doesn't freeze, mercury would boil away!

Thread: 1.1kw motor iffy
05/06/2019 14:17:54

Highly unlikely to be the winding, but could be the cap. Has it always been this way? I find when I start my lathe at a high speed pulley setting it takes a few seconds to get up to speed as the oil warms up.

Thread: before superglue
05/06/2019 09:08:40

I use soft electronics solder a lot, especially in conjunction with a non-corrosive white paste flux. For example, fitting "brass "collets" into wheels on the clock I'm building. Make the two parts a good fit; apply a little fux into the joint and fit together; cut small piece of fine cored lead-free solder and wrap round the shoulder where the two parts mate; and apply gentle heat with a torch. Takes less than a minute to reach temperature, solder flashes into joint, job done.

Normal "Araldite" type epoxy also very useful. I have a storage heater in the workshop, when I've assembled the parts together with the glue I pop it on top of the hot heater and leave overnight.

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 15:35:20

At least 1 747 has been scrapped after mercury contamination.

04/06/2019 13:07:00

The head of science at my school in the 60s was a crusty old gent who had equipped the physics labs after the war with surplus meters etc - you haven't lived until you've used an altimeter to balance a Wheatstone Bridge! Amongst other things he bought a crate of bottles of mercury which lived in the cellar - I think they had got through a couple of bottles by 1968, where it went who knows!

Regarding mercury arc rectifiers, these don't emit x-rays. In the machines lab at uni there was a test setup with a 3-phase one in a big steel cabinet where you could look at the arc through a strobe disc, if you got the speed right you could see the arc stepping from electrode to electrode as the phases changed. The technician used to warn us against opening the door because of the UV, but the machines lecturer encouraged it, pointing out accurately that the glass stopped nearly all the UV. Great fun.

Thread: Antikythera mechanism
03/06/2019 22:00:23

There's a nice story in one of Richard Feynman's books about visiting the museum, probably in the 1950s and seeing the mechanism, and being gobsmacked by it. Apparently he asked one of the curators what it was, who replied, oh it's just a bit of ancient Greek clockwork.... That was before people like Wright and de Solla Price took X-ray tomography to it. Of course they didn't have machine tools then, though of course any Super-Adepts would have rusted away completely...

Thread: Electronic Indexers - How Is Cumulative Error Avoided?
03/06/2019 10:49:39

Apologies Joe, but your reply seemed to indicate that the tool acceleration had to match the spindle acceleration in the run-up.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest