By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Are there any left?
21/08/2019 10:49:44

Anchor supplies

I went there once - all kinds of stuff (more than now listed on their website) including under a tarpaulin out front a jet engine!

Also http://www.bullybeef.co.uk/

Edited By John Haine on 21/08/2019 10:53:30

Thread: LED Dimming
20/08/2019 15:02:50

Yes, but you hardly need a 4 kW dimmer for a 20W lamp! And LEDs don't dim very well with simple Triac dimmers. That unit would probably work fine with a big beefy incandescent spotlight.

How about this:

**LINK**

?

20/08/2019 14:05:16

That power supply is totally unsuitable. The lights you linked to are low power 220v (fine for UK) dimmable LED bulbs. I suggest that you use a standard LED dimmer such as this which is made for the job and available from B&Q.

Thread: Grinding your own lathe cutters
19/08/2019 08:55:17

Found it!

**LINK**

19/08/2019 08:04:24

Christopher, given the you have a small lathe you may find this thread interesting.

**LINK**

also somewhere I described using it on a flat base like the "Turnado " for hand turning.

Thread: Digital inclinometers
18/08/2019 11:06:38
Posted by Emgee on 18/08/2019 10:45:37:

Perhaps the battery issue is only on models that have more functions such as later models with ABS function ?

Can the Wixey check and indicate a level surface or is it always relative to the last Zeroed setting ?

Emgee

My Wixey was quite early, battery issue is just down to not having an on/off switch. It is a relative instrument, so you need to reference it to your "level" surface.

18/08/2019 09:21:11

Whatever the niceties of (non) critical and precision. the Wixey is a good choice IMHO. Phones work, but are a bit large and have to be held against whatever you are setting. They Wixey is a handy size, sticks to the work with magnets so it doesn't slide off, can be put on a parallel if needed to reach the work. It does eat batteries, so I now take the battery out, pop it on one of the magnets, and put the gauge on a shelf. I reported on some accuracy measurements on mine here.

Thread: What 3 Words
16/08/2019 07:16:09

I heard that someone was rescued who was trapped in their car after going off the road. Spoke to the rescue services, they talked her through installing the app, she got her location, they found her. Several courier services use it, my brother has his location as a discreet signboard on his garage.

Thread: Arkwright Scholarship
16/08/2019 07:10:59

Uphill roller?

**LINK**

Thread: Meter Probe
14/08/2019 08:55:26
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/08/2019 20:57:53:

Even my cheapest £5 'disposable' multimeter has shrouded plugs. Sobering that it is an order of magnitude + more accurate than my expensive old moving coil meters.

My better meter has shrouded plugs and only the very tips are bare - I find this style much easier to use TBH.

Neil

Or at least precise? wink

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 17:11:17

I believe wind generators match their speed to get the most energy from the wind, with multi pole generators or harmonic gearing to step up between the rotor and alternator. Then rectify and use an inverter locked to mains frequency to generate 3 phase back to the grid. Solar generates dc directly, again will use an inverter.

the Guardian version of the supermarket freezer story pointed out that they can just switch the things off to shed energy when required, they don't I think have any energy storage or generation as such.

13/08/2019 10:58:33

I wonder just how many clocks still get time from the mains?

Thread: Does anybody know what this is ?
03/08/2019 10:09:25

Telephone ringing magneto?

Thread: The Current War (Film)
30/07/2019 08:22:39

This was late 19th century America, not the playing fields of Eton! Ethics and fair play don't figure much in modern US business methods come to that.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
28/07/2019 19:44:19

Almost? Totally!

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 16:06:25

By the way beware of having minor damage fixed on the other guy's insurance. The problem is making any kind of claim will put your costs up too! It's because people who have been in one accident are more likely to be in another. So they stick a few percent on your premium to cover the risk, and that becomes the baseline for future quotes. Changing insurer doesn't help because they share accident data. Another factor likely to quietly push quotes up is fibbing or being suspected of fibbing. If you make a damage claim make sure it's worth it (my guess at least £200) and get your story right first time.

In my case it was a new rear bumper assembly for a Mini - cost was much more than I was going to pay myself.

Thread: Steam powered RC aircraft
28/07/2019 16:03:24

In the case of the flash steam plant mentioned above, the flame is enclosed in a housing, there is a minimal volume of high-pressure steam, and the flame could be fairly well controlled, as much as a model jet engine I'd have thought.

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 13:27:13

I did have a very minor accident where someone ran into the back of my car very very slowly and caused rather monor damage which I nevertheless had fixed on their insurance as the car was nearly new. For years thereafter I had "claims managers" contacting me to see if I wanted to pursue a claim for personal injury. It seems that LV Insurance who was the original insurer passes on details to these companies which I think is completely unethical. Anyway I once engaged the caller in quite a long conversation to get him to explain what needed to happen. I said that there was no injury, but he went on to say things like are you sure? Any unexplained backpain etc? and on and on. Eventually I said to him "so, are you basically saying that I should lie so that you can make a buck on a possible payout?" At this point he rang off!

Thread: R8 spindle advice required
28/07/2019 11:04:27

My VMB has the pin, it hasn't sheared off yet! I think for normal cutters and materials it probably isn't needed as long as you tighten the drawbar well; but if you're using beefy face cutters or shell mills it might be handy (but also might shear off!). One issue I had with the R8 collets I bought, some of them the slots had tight spots which took some stoning off (I probably used a diamond hone) to fit easily. For a "light vertical head" maybe you can dispense with the pin?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
28/07/2019 10:19:32

Russell, indeed, that's one of the features to be added in the next round of updates. There are 3 ways to regulate the clock. Coarse - periodically adds or subtracts 2 second increments to the displayed time. Medium - via a weight tray. Fine - trimming the amplitude by changing the impulsing interval (currently 80 seconds), though I have other plans for amplitude. None of these require a rating nut adjustment.

At some point I also need to make a PCB to replace the frightful electronics breadboard!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest