By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: End mill regrinding
22/10/2019 11:20:36

I think it depends on how deep cuts you take and so how much of the flute is worn. If you just grind the end teeth then you need to cut back to where the flute is sharp - normally I think it's the corners that get rounded so you don't need to take off a lot. However you may need to re-gullet the cutter at some stage. As for the "dish" angle, I'd have though that 2.5 degrees is too much! The greater the angle the harder the corners have to work. I normally use 1 degree.

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
21/10/2019 14:37:53

Surely model engineers, like police constables, seem to look younger every year...?

Thread: Could anyone let me know what these are
19/10/2019 20:41:12

Do the bases fit Tee slots perhaps?

18/10/2019 22:25:59

Aha! Better. The thing on the right is a pull stud for an int taper toolholder to adapt it for use in an ATC on a CNC mill. The drawbar has a clip on the end that grabs it. Other bits look they might be alignment aids.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
18/10/2019 22:20:40

Walked into the sort of "tent" on the side of the main hall where the GTBA stand is, to find it filled with a blue haze. Had they be running the jets perhaps? or left a door open while a traction engine was passing? No, it was the grease smoke from the cafe... Catering abysmal I thought, poor quality and inefficient. Why don't they just get a few food trucks to park outside? Apart from that the show was humdrum I thought, every year a few less traders, always the same models being displayed (it seems). Every year the wife asks me why I go, I suppose it's mainly local family connections, but I'll just go and see them next year and give the show a miss I think.

Thread: Could anyone let me know what these are
18/10/2019 21:57:58

Hard to say without photos! But it may be a fitting to use the 40int taper with an automatic change tool holder system.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
16/10/2019 19:47:09

My local contact advises approach up or down the Fosse Way as the A425 to the west is closed!

Thread: New Member from Suffolk England
16/10/2019 13:37:43

Just over the border in Cambs here - which bit of Suffolk are you in?

Thread: What solenoid to use?
15/10/2019 19:46:35

At least as far as the ones I pointed out, that's correct. Motor drives leadscrew through gears, leadscrew moves pushrod. Applying force to pushrod will not turn motor, too much friction. Think of leaving electric car window open and turning off ignition.

Thread: What are these pliers for
14/10/2019 18:13:58

I have an identical pair, which is same as I used to have in my PO toolkit, but neither of those had the "longitudinal" slot in the jaw - might that be an "aftermarket" add-on?

Thread: What solenoid to use?
13/10/2019 09:46:38

DC motor drive is likely to be better and cheaper, small geared motor driving a screw. You can buy complete units on eBay, search for linear actuator.

Thread: New lathe?
02/10/2019 10:58:35

What do people do to handwheels to bend them, and how might it have affected other parts? (Might of course just be transit damage.)

Thread: collet block
29/09/2019 09:44:20

The ER40 one is 1.75 inches square, that's 44.44 mm.

Thread: 3 Phase
29/09/2019 08:11:11

Topologically.

but no, the problem is that there is mutual inductance between the windings, and the couplings between each pair all have to be in the same sense for the motor load to be balanced. This is covered in a couple of threads here.

Thread: Unusual GPO hammer?
28/09/2019 20:15:12

Remember the old Rate Book? I used to work at Dollis Hill, designing RF equipment. We wanted some coil formers with screening cans and adjustable cores. They obviously had them because one was on display behind glass showing all the things they stocked. after a lot of trouble we managed to ascertain that the adjustable cores were known as "cores, dust" while the actual main item we wanted, the coil former, was known as a "mounting, core, dust".

I was always amused that a good old terminal block was listed as a "block, terminal", which everybody eventually spoke about as if the block was the noun and terminal the adjective - of course then it should have been listed as "terminal, block"!

Thread: ML7
28/09/2019 16:57:33

If you have a large mill you'll quickly realise I think if you try it that it's much easier doing small work on a large mill than trying to cope with the Myford limitations!

Thread: Myford vfd
23/09/2019 08:33:38

I'm afraid you won't find one. Single phase induction motors inherently have only a narrow speed range as they use a capacitor to get the needed phase shift at least for starting and sometimes running too. I believe there are vfds for low power single phase fans but they wouldn't have the grunt needed. You'll need to change the motor to a 3phase one.

Thread: TPH machine tools Essex
22/09/2019 22:22:42

To be pedantic, the + sign was introduced in GSM to tell the network to insert the appropriate international access code for the country concerned. Calling from any mobile today you can just put a + in front of the country code - this is obviously important for international roaming where you may not know or have easy reference to what the international access code is for the country you are in.

Presumably TPH may want to sell internationally.

22/09/2019 15:16:14

Pretty standard now really. That isn't a mobile phone number, the code is 01708 which is Romford. 30 seconds on The Phone Book gives their address as PO Box 2234, Wickford, SS11 9DN but that's probably an accomodation address.

Thread: Aciera F3
16/09/2019 15:16:07

When I had an F1 I found these people:

**LINK**

though I sold the machine before I got round to buying more collets for it.

Anglo-Swiss have some W20 collets on their website.

**LINK**

Have fun, Aciera machines are awesome. I inherited mine but it was too small for my needs at the time - it financed the purchase of a VMB.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest