By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How to make an accurate internal hole
05/06/2011 11:21:30
John, boring to size is the way to go, more control and concentricity guaranteed, reamers seem attractive but can do strange things.
Tony
Thread: Gib Strip Material
28/05/2011 16:42:41
Flat Ground Stock untreated is a good suggestion but if you harden it you may get flatness problems.
Tony
Thread: 2 piece collet ?
24/05/2011 22:42:16
James, splitting the collet after turning will not make anything elliptical! All diameters, threads and lengths will not change in the splitting process. The turned diameters will still be true cylinders. If you haven't got a stub arbor and suitable slitting saw avaliable, careful use of a junior hacksaw should be ok to make the split.
Tony
24/05/2011 21:48:51
Conventional method is to machine first, then split, why can't you do this, as you mention splitting before machining in your post, I'm not sure if super glue will cut the mustard? Also what machine tools have you?
Tony
Thread: Machining what am I doing wrong?
22/05/2011 19:27:22
Check centre height of tool, you are using carbide tools so faster rpm is usually better. Try cutting oil and slower feed. What diameter steel are you using?
Tony
Thread: Making a gear cutter
15/05/2011 16:38:05
Hi Mogens, I seem to recall he is a member of this forum but I can't remember how to search for an individual?
Tony
Thread: This months MEW are 3 CNC features two too many
14/05/2011 14:13:12
Good point Steve, I hadn't considered that.
Tony
14/05/2011 13:33:13
CNC gets the thumbs up from me, it's not new technology and has been around for years. The editor can only print what articles he receives so he must be getting more CNC biased at the moment and he cannot please everyone all the time!. Just remember CNC is only a tool and like any tool it has it's uses and if you don't want to use it you don't have to.
Tony
Thread: Technical and engineering drawing.
24/04/2011 11:27:33
Dave, your are quite right, if Sam's little test was supplied with all the necessary information at the beginning it wouldn't have been a test and I could have spent more time cutting metal rather than scratching my head and I believe that is the whole point! I used to know the drawing standards years ago but like many things they are filed away in a forgotten part of my brain. In the context of all engineering work the drawings should be clear and unambiguous so the part can be produced in a timely and efficient manner, this applies both to amateur and professional drawings and in theory should be a simple process to follow.
People of a certain age do have a lot of knowledge to pass on but we all tend to get impatient with the young as our fathers and granfathers did, I have taught many apprentices and now my 19 year old son Toolroom techniques and I really do have to remind myself that they are only just starting out on the journey of life.
Tony
19/04/2011 22:15:17
Hi Sam, doesn't look like any one knows the answer to your trick/puzzle judging by the lack of responses.
Tony
Thread: Clarkson Collet Threads?
17/04/2011 10:32:39
Google search provides the information that the thread is 20 tpi for all sizes with a Whitworth form.
Tony
Thread: Bench grinder
04/04/2011 21:46:08
This came up on another forum and got me thinking, China, India and the rest can make quality stuff far cheaper than we can for many reasons that I won't go into but why is much of it such utter rubbish, it can only be corporate greed at the highest level? We are now a throwaway society in an era when we are meant to be preserving our environment / resources etc a definite conflict of interests there. Sorry if I am drifting OT.
Tony
04/04/2011 19:27:24
Hi Chris, I think the term is badge engineering? I presume Record like many other companies are buying stuff from our Eastern cousins and sticking a "Record" badge on it which I suppose is also not made by Record. Starrett is I believe ruining their reputation in America for this type of practice, you pay their prices but don't get their quality, a bad deal in my book.
Tony
04/04/2011 16:53:38
Ian, they are not flash they are properly engineered and manufactured to a decent quality, something of a rarity these days. Size is really up to you, I have a HP7150 and it does everything I need, do you really need a 8" grinder?
Tony
04/04/2011 09:09:07
Ian,
I second Creusen you will only need to buy one! I bought 2 far eastern grinders before and they were not good, I gave up trying to "improve" them and bought quality which I should have done in the first place.
Tony
Thread: Suggestions please.
31/03/2011 21:25:30
Graham, excellent ideas coming out of this posting! Very ingenious to use 2 rollers & 2 rules to get your angle, however I would stick to a sine bar and clock to check your tool it's much more user friendly and from experience projectors can give spurious readings even the industrial ones made for the job.
Tony
Thread: Greenwood Tools - Excellent Service
30/03/2011 17:09:31
Andrew, from bitter experience I now change my tips over an empty box to ensure that when I drop the screw I can actually find it again.
Tony
Thread: Amateurs
23/03/2011 22:06:10
Very interesting posts one and all. It's become very obvious that we all have something to bring to the table for us to learn from or not as the case may be.I have really enjoyed all the discussion that Donald instigated, long may it continue.
Tony
23/03/2011 21:37:16
MGJ, have you seen the price of an F1 car or aircraft , if you can throw enough money at a component you will get it right eventually with no concessions. I am frankly amazed that we can't make steel, weld it then machine it flat, have we really got that bad?
Tony
23/03/2011 21:17:02
When I was in a Toolroom environment it was a fact that the production workers didn't even understand what, why or how we were making things, but were always saying " why is it taking so long, I could do that 5 times quicker". The first part is oh so true,the last part I added for David's benefit.
Tony
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest