By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Clarkson Mk1 Missing Centres
12/03/2011 13:39:52
Peter, centres of various origins appear on Fleabay at fairly regular intervals.
Tony
Thread: Bending Mild Steel Flat bar
07/03/2011 17:27:59
Hi Vince, yes you can bend it cold but 9.5mm is pretty thick and it will need a fair bit of force to shift it. Heating to red hot in the bend area will make it so much easier to work.
Tony
Thread: Case Hardening
03/03/2011 19:12:59
I was going to suggest Chronos until I saw the price- it's £30 a tub
Tony
Thread: Bending HSS
27/02/2011 10:57:58
Why am I not suprised about Ebay HSS being crap! We all know our eastern friends can make good stuff but I suggest this is another case of making to a price not making quality.
Tony
Thread: Machining services
16/02/2011 18:07:19
Hi Barry, if you contact me via"message member" we can discuss your needs, I can read drawings in most formats. I have 37 years experience as a toolroom machinist so should be able to help
Best wishes,
Tony
Thread: Advice needed on Dore-westbury mill please!
31/01/2011 17:39:54
Hi, I made a Dore Westbury mill quite a few years ago but sold it on as I found it a bit of a toy. Not being negative but it did seem a bit flimsy although saying that many people have made this mill and have got many years excellent service out of them.
I don't know what your budget is but against my difficult to do "buy British policy" you would be well advised to look around at the far eastern imports as you get a lot of metal for your money.
Tony
Thread: Tormach
13/01/2011 17:24:39
Posted by KWIL on 27/11/2010 11:58:18:
You pay VAT on P&P for goods bought in the UK, so what is the difference?

I think he means that as the shipping is by a US company why pay UK vat and I agree, but as we know they can and do charge tax on anything they want!
Tony
Thread: Chuck jaws
04/01/2011 19:27:11
Hi Ray, I should imagine they are mild steel case hardened purely on the cost involved in using a "better" type of steel but I stand to be corrected. If case hardened, a carbide drill should go through say 2mm deep into the soft steel and you will have no trouble tapping it, use a drill slightly larger than the thread O/D
Tony
Thread: Myford puzzle?
27/12/2010 16:55:22
Jack,
You really don't want to be die cutting a thread this size even if one is still obtainable. The torque needed to cut would be quite substantial and quite often tearing can be a problem. A screw cutting tool isn't that hard to make and can be used on other jobs in the future, the root and crest form really doesn't have to be perfect to do the job but of course chasers will give you the correct radii
Tony
Thread: Albums
19/12/2010 13:27:52
Hi, just looked at one of Stub's albums and can't see any arrows to move backwards and forwards, what settings would need adjusting?
Tony
Thread: 5C or ER Collet Chuck
16/12/2010 19:02:51
Hi, exactly what size of lathe have you got? I think you meant that 5C collets are also avaliable in hexagon and square as well as round, ER collets have a fair gripping range but 5C only really work gripping bar at the nominal collet size.
Do you intend doing much square and hexagon work? Lots of questions to ponder and my experience of collets is that the ER series seems to grip better but that might be imagination on my part.
Tony
Thread: Tears as last Harrier jets leave Ark Royal
25/11/2010 16:42:07
The Conservatives have been left an almighty mess by someone else and it needs to be cleaned up. But I still can't understand where we are getting £10 billion to give to the Irish when there "simply wasn't £80 million" to lend to Sheffield forgemasters, politicians are so short sighted unless they are looking to get themselves on the gravy train!
Tony
Thread: Chinese lathes
24/11/2010 17:40:17
I did not appreciate that the lathe was not bought new by "Lathejack" so that does explain some but not all the shortcomings. I too would like to hear from the man himself!
Tony
22/11/2010 17:47:48
You obviously get plenty of metal for your money and as an owner of an old Super 7 with all it's size limitations I am tempted by the shiny offerings of Warco etc but as a Toolmaker I don't know if I could accept their shortcomings albeit at a very reasonable price.
I really can't get my head around the mentality of manufacturers who allow sand and swarf etc to contaminate what is meant to be a precision machine tool, I suppose they are trying to shave every extra penny off the cost.
Tony
Thread: Text under Ads
21/11/2010 12:39:16
No problem with "Steel for Cylinders" even at the beginning. "Web designer on holiday until January", are you having a laugh! get someone who supports their product
Tony
21/11/2010 10:43:51
Excuse my ignorance, but I can read the posts OK on this one. What exactly is the problem?
Tony
Thread: Drilling of 34CrNiMo6 4340 817M40 En24?
10/11/2010 21:12:10
As has been said decent HSS will do the job no problem but coolant and plenty of it is a must, you can get fairly cheap coolant pumps and tanks from the usual suppliers. Will a 12mm dia. x 60mm deep pilot hole be ok as you seem a little bit vague on exactly what you need?
Tony
Thread: Why is everything you buy such rubbish!!
07/11/2010 19:51:28
Two examples of how short sighted and thick people are. I did my apprenticship at Vauxhall Motors,Luton in the 70's and the same people who were making cars on the track would turn up for work in shiny brand new Japanese motors[this massive site is now a housing and shopping development]
All the goverment vehicles seem to be made abroad, how short sighted is that! Surely a Jaguar is equal to the BMW's and Subaru's the coppers use? and yes I know they are now owned by the Indian's but still made in Britain!
Tony 
07/11/2010 17:20:08
Thousands of jobs including mine have gone east and continue to do so [latest Twinings tea}! It is not about serving you the customer with a cheaper quality product it is about making a cheaper product full stop.
Dear consumer you won't pay for quality British/American/German/French made item so you pay less for a pile of cr*p which doesn't work so therefore you are actually paying more than if you bought a decent item in the first place.
Remember "Quality remains, long after the price is forgotton". If I sound bitter good, because I am, for myself, my country and all the youngsters who won't have the joy of making something with their hands.
Tony
Thread: Stuck chuck
02/11/2010 17:05:05
Hi Mark, can you post a picture?
Tony
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest