By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Knurling tool
15/08/2021 09:38:21

Nick, absolutely typical of most far eastern 'tooling', all the elements are there but so poorly executed as to make the tool completely unusable as purchased.

Tony

Thread: Which is better Thompson or er collets
13/08/2021 19:24:41

incorrect post

Edited By Tony Pratt 1 on 13/08/2021 19:34:32

Thread: Dore-Westbury Mill
13/08/2021 12:31:17

It's not something I would do as the cutter is likely not to run true & may work it's way out of the 3 jaw chuck under cutting conditions? Having said that if you are happy go for it.

Tony

Thread: Hole diameters for single point threading
13/08/2021 08:49:37

Joe, 16IR-A60 is not a full form insert, as you say the tip has negligible radius so just using the theoretical core diameter will be I think problematic. A male gauge or mating part would be a good test of fit.

Tony

Thread: Making Tapered Castellations in Aluminium
11/08/2021 13:28:21

Have you got a milling machine & rotary table?

Tony

Thread: surface grinder
11/08/2021 12:27:16

Totally agree with Rik, the J & S 540 was the most often seen surface grinder in all the Toolrooms I frequented, a nice medium sized machine. IF you can get a decent one it will be expensive & you will have to pay your money before finding out if it can grind flat unless the seller will let you 'have a go'?

Tony

Thread: chinese lathe tailstock is 3/16" too high
10/08/2021 08:35:16

'practical machinist' is meant to be a forum for so called professional machinists so the OP will get no help there, I would suggest speaking to Little machine shop as a starting point.

Tony

Thread: Leveling machines
04/08/2021 17:06:21

I must admit I couldn't be bothered to Google it, why not just say 'combine'crook

Tony

Thread: Chester DB8VS
04/08/2021 13:00:27

Is it a faulty belt?

Tony

Thread: Leveling machines
04/08/2021 12:59:11
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 04/08/2021 09:46:01:

There's a rather worrying implication in this thread that, in order to get your lathe to 'turn parallel', you need to twist or untwist the bed. This is misleading: there's rather more to lathe alignment than possibly twisted beds, isn't there? Headstock alignment for one... Also, many posts seem to conflate alignment with levelling. The erudite Mr Gilligan has cast his pearls in the past, but...

Correct, all machine tools will be 'aligned' once in their working position to achieve satisfactory results. Not sure what conflate means?

Tony

Thread: New Chuck won’t screw on
02/08/2021 10:55:45

Any competent manufacturer of say 'Myford backplates' would require a properly toleranced drawing to quote against because as we know nothing can be made to an exact sizewink, I have a feeling the retailer is most probably using nominal sizes & letting the end user do the quality check??

Tony

30/07/2021 20:20:13

Richard, just leave it as it is. .0025" slop is plenty good enough for a 3 jaw chuck & will give you a bit of leeway if you want to get a part dead on for concentricity. My brand new Warco supplied 3 jaw chuck had a .010" run out from new, in the end I had to reduce the register diameter to get it to run true, obligatory inspection report said run out was within .001"angry

Tony

Thread: Metric thread dimension wanted.
30/07/2021 19:59:42

I just deleted my first answer but my 2nd is just Google the data, or get a Zeus book or similar.crying

Tony

Thread: Machining D2 Steel?
29/07/2021 14:00:26

I have used D2 in the now distant past & from memory it was more difficult to machine than O1. Maybe a little more info on the part to be made will help us.

Tony

Thread: Centre Drill Leaves a “Pip” - Sometimes
25/07/2021 12:28:18
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 25/07/2021 10:22:03:

If small drills are wandering without centre drilling first then either the drill, or technique, are in need of revision.

Andrew

Pray tell us what is this wonderful technique which guarantees a small drill will not wander on touching the work piece surface.

Thanks,

Tony

Thread: Is there a chart for drill hole dia vs. boring bar size?
24/07/2021 10:33:16

No magic formula exists as far as I know, just experience.

Tony

Thread: Centre Drill Leaves a “Pip” - Sometimes
23/07/2021 21:30:23

For small drills you can just use a sharpened pointer to make a starting indentation in the work piece.

Tony

Thread: Bench grinder
23/07/2021 21:29:02

Most of the cheapo Bench grinders are not 'fit for purpose', If they were constantly rejected by the consumer the manufacturers might up their game.

Tony

Thread: New Chuck won’t screw on
21/07/2021 17:14:09

A picture paints a thousand words. In the meantime check both threads are completely clean.

Tony

Thread: Setting up rear parting tool properly
21/07/2021 16:25:29

The first picture looks 'wrong' to me, the tool boat should be nearly horizontal, maybe like that to get the centre height right? As it is the 2 clamping screws are going to have edge contact only & will not be very secure. More detailed advice from others will follow I'm sure.

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
Dreweatts
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest