By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheap ER collet advice please
14/10/2019 06:51:05

I see CTC actually give a tolerance run out of .008mm, if they don't meet that standard you can get your money back [Paypal - item not as described, credit card - chargeback] so a win win situation. They would also have to pay postage if they wanted the collet[s] back.

Tony

Thread: Would you buy one of these collets?
12/10/2019 19:13:05

Using a big cutter [i.e. 25 mm / 1"] or above in an R8 spindled machine seems attractive but in practice you would get little or no benefit out of doing so.

Tony

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
10/10/2019 14:02:27

Bridgeport’s certainly had their place in industry, although light by many standards they are extremely versatile & a handy tool, many hundreds of thousands were made so they must have got something right.

I personally found that the bigger Cincinnati’s were good for removing loads of metal when required but didn’t have the ‘feel’ for Toolmaking tasks.

Tony

Thread: What are members thoughts on Gap Bed lathes ?
09/10/2019 14:29:45
Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 09/10/2019 14:09:11:

Tony how can you compare a 3 1/2 centre lathe to a 6 inch lathe regarding performance, with more than twice the size of motor. You should be comparing the 290 to a 6 inch Colchester which by the way is about 5 times heavier.I have a S7 and a Colchester Master and both are very good and can cover a wide range of work,

I'm not comparing either to each other, just pointing out a couple of observations from personal experience.

Tony

09/10/2019 12:31:59

My Super 7 replacement is a Warco WM 290V, the Myford wins hands down on build quality & ‘feel’ but the Warco is in a different league for performance.

The Warco is certainly rough around the edges but hopefully decent where it matters & also the ‘accuracy’ certificate is a total work of fiction but worryingly I am getting to like it.laugh

Tony

Edited By Tony Pratt 1 on 09/10/2019 12:33:39

Thread: UK stepper motor supplier
06/10/2019 19:48:17

Thanks to all who replied! Will report back.

The motor is being used to drive the lead screw/feed shaft on a Warco WM290V so not very fast maybe 200-400 rpm, just seems under powered a bit?

Tony

06/10/2019 12:12:08

Hi,

Motor is 24HS39-3008D [**LINK**], power supply is JC-240-48 48V 5A, [JC Power] going into a DM556 microstep driver.

Hope that makes sense.

Tony

06/10/2019 12:04:39

Old school, thanks i'm not going but will give them a look.

SOD. Bit of a confession, I'm working on the Clough42 [Youtube] electronic lead screw, my son has done all the electrical/programming side of things & I have done the mechanical bits, everything works apart from the under powered motor.

He is in Portugal for a week so I was trying to help out, I will get the information you have asked for but it may take some time, thanks for your assistance!

Tony

06/10/2019 11:08:33

Can someone personally recommend a decent UK supplier of stepper motors who sell good products at a reasonable price & could offer technical help if needed.

I want this to complete a project whose only problem is that the Chinese supplied stepper motor which is rated at 4Nm is only giving about 2/3rds of that, I’m pretty sure wiring etc. is correct.

Thanks,

Tony

Thread: New lathe?
02/10/2019 06:52:46

The Emco is vastly superior to a Myford in my opinion but condition is everything. I owned a Myford Super 7 for 40 plus years but always dreamt of getting a Maximat Super 11 in good condition. You really need to see it in person & check it over when running.

Tony

Thread: Turning between centres on Super 7
01/10/2019 09:35:32

Face drivers would be ok for low torque work but a bit iffy for any sort of cut.

Tony

Thread: M&W rules now better...
26/09/2019 18:47:51

It's a rule guys, yes make it correctly but only a rule in the end.

Tony

Thread: Worried
26/09/2019 06:50:05

And we are led to believe our education system is so much better than it was, as GCSE results improve year on year, never really swallowed that onesmiley

Tony

Thread: Metric tap and die set
19/09/2019 15:43:45

Much used question & the standard answer is buy 'quality' [Dormer, Guhring, Titex etc. etc] threading tools as & when you need them. Try Arc Eurotrade, Cutwel, Cromwell tools, RS to start with.

Tony

Thread: M8x1 left hand tap.
18/09/2019 15:51:12
Posted by Pete Savage on 18/09/2019 15:44:50:

I just checked back through my emails, and my dodgy tap set did come from rdg tools. They offered me a refund if I sent it back recorded but that would have been half the value of the product.

None of the shops mentioned have one on stock so hopefully ordering they won't just get a bad one from rgd and pass it on!!

Pretty sure the retailer has to pay postage on faulty items as per UK consumer goods act[or similar distance selling regulations]

Tony

Thread: Ebay site changes for the worst
17/09/2019 18:20:34

Just pay what you think it's worth.

Tony

Thread: Screw cutting is over complicated
17/09/2019 18:19:01
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 17/09/2019 18:06:14:

I think both of you are being unfair - I don't recall coming across either production or toolroom chargehands that were so hidebound in attitude.

HA HA HA HA HA etc.

I've worked for a few right tartars - Hitler didn't have a patch on 'em - every bit of nastiness they could muster, every minute every day. Not very good toolmakers / machinists either. Still don't know why they acted that way, except maybe they were always treated like that.One guy couldn't hit a thou tol if his life depended on it.

(But I've also worked for some really personable and fair ones - and they were very capable ones too.)

Funnily enough I was talking about this very subject yesterday to my last ever apprentice, I can forgive 'managers' being useless & promoted above their skill level but why do so many of them have to be complete bullying a***holes, who couldn't run a bath let alone a team of people?

Tony

16/09/2019 17:31:16
Posted by IanT on 16/09/2019 16:21:35:

Better not let Joe Pieczynski (The Texan Spiderman) hear you talk about "thread depth" - you'll get a smack on the wrist!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqJWoAM5eRQ&t=888s

laugh

IanT

Joe is of course right in what he says.

Tony

Thread: General Question
15/09/2019 12:14:23

SOD makes a number of fair points but if you don't receive your item just claim the money back from PayPal or your credit card, there is absolutely no need to 'write it off'

Tony

14/09/2019 19:04:30

Ask for a refund!!

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest