By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 4 jaw chuck axial allignment
18/08/2019 09:58:27
Posted by duncan webster on 17/08/2019 20:44:37:

use a small length of engagement, set true near the chuck, then move the dti to the far end and set it true by tapping it with a lead weight, then go back to the chuck end, repeat till you get fed up

I'm afraid that is the way to do it, I use copper packing also between jaws & work piece, it's a real pain but in the real world chucks don't always perform as you would like them to.

Tony

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 07:55:00
Posted by J Hancock on 13/08/2019 07:43:10:

I think the real embarrassment was to find some wag's program had dumped London off line first,

as a way of saving the rest of the UK from blackout.

Meanwhile, the demolition of our coal-fired back-up generation continues.

Are they really that stupid? I fear I already know the answer.

Tony

Thread: Collet Chucks out of true
10/08/2019 18:01:53

As you say the collet chuck 'isn't the best' so you really have no decent reference to diagnose the collets, can't really say any more than that apart from the run out will get worse as you move away from the collet/collet chuck which is exactly your situation.

Tony

Thread: Threaded Norman Toolpost
10/08/2019 13:27:20
Posted by ChrisB on 10/08/2019 12:28:10:
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 10/08/2019 09:07:20:

Seems very limited, much better to have a QCTP or a 4 way toolpost in my opinion.

Tony

Why? I had the impression the Norman tool post was a very rigid tool post with minimal overhang over the cross slide. On the downside the tool holders are considerably larger, but then they are far easier to machine than say an Aloris type holder. Am I missing something?

Unless I am mistaken the toolpost only takes one tool or do you replace the whole unit when a different tool is reqd?

Tony

Thread: Lathe - dead centre wont reach the workpiece
10/08/2019 09:13:36

Ian,

You are right, as an owner of a new Chinese lathe it looks impressive but already I can see I will have problems getting close to the head stock, it's also apparent that my machine has features from UK/US/German machines so a sort of copy from many sources.

Tony

Thread: Threaded Norman Toolpost
10/08/2019 09:07:20

Seems very limited, much better to have a QCTP or a 4 way toolpost in my opinion.

Tony

Thread: What are these off
09/08/2019 10:50:12

Yes off a dividing head, used similar back in the 70's

Tony

Thread: Collet Chucks out of true
04/08/2019 11:05:14

Unfortunately the world is full of crap tooling/washing machines/electrical goods etc. etc. etc., it's the way of our world at the moment.

You get an item but it's not quite right so what do you do, use it or return it???

Tony

Thread: R8 spindle advice required
29/07/2019 09:31:15

My industrial experience of using many R8 spindles is that the pin is useful to stop rotation of the collet whilst the drawbar is being tightened. Useful to have but you can manage without.

Tony

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
21/07/2019 12:26:47

Never fancied the glass option & you can pick up decent surface plates fairly cheaply.

Tony

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 12:25:05

Myford Super 7 for 45 years & now just purchased a new Warco WM 290V, certainly a lot of metal for the money but rough in places, looks like a project?

Tony

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 12:20:23

Dore Westbury which I built myself & again way too flimsy, Myford VME knee/turret mill, nice size & well made. Worked on many different types in industry.

Tony

Thread: Wiggler or edge finder?
21/07/2019 12:18:00
Posted by Clive Foster on 21/07/2019 12:09:15:

Hi Brian

Sorry to be unclear. Take 2 on the calibration, with pictures.

Obviously if you put a straight round rod of known diameter in a collet and just touch it against something solidly fixed to the table the spindle centre line will be exactly half the diameter of the rod away from the solid object.

Not strictly true, you should have mentioned that the rod needs to be running true [concentric] to the spindle for this statement to be accurate.

Tony

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
21/07/2019 10:02:18

I used cast iron but mild steel will be no problem.

Tony

Thread: Snail Problems
29/06/2019 10:56:38

I believe Metaldehyde slug pellets are to be banned in 2020?

Tony

Thread: HSS hire 500 kg folding engine crane
23/06/2019 16:43:08

Latest update is that the lathe is in front of the stand, I moved it there by pallet truck which my next door neighbour happened to have.

On searching Ebay I came across a guy less than a mile away from me who is hiring a 2 ton crane for £10, I couldn't believe my lucksmiley

Thanks to all!!

Tony

22/06/2019 14:05:13

Thanks for all the replies, plenty of food for thought!!! Its already in the garage so just need to lift it up & onto the stand.

Tony

22/06/2019 12:33:12

Hi,

I need to install my brand new Warco WM290V lathe using a 500 kg folding engine crane, I contacted my local HSS hire but they couldn’t confirm if it would transport in the back of a Mondeo hatchback, has anyone moved one of these engine cranes by car?

Thanks,

Tony

Thread: Possible New Internet Scam to be Aware of.
22/06/2019 10:34:20

Saw a doco on TV where almost illiterate street kids in Lagos, Nigeria, buy time at shanty town internet "cafes" and send out such scam emails. Poor buggers are desperate for a feed yet only one mouse click away from people who live a fabulous life of luxury by comparison. IE, us. You have to feel sorry for them when you see their circumstances. Most of us, if we met them in person, would not begrudge them a few bucks to feed them for a week or two. Truly sad.

I often wonder where our £7 billion per year foreign aid goes to, obviously does bugger all for the really desperate? Sorry to get political but it makes me so mad!

Tony

Thread: water supply
18/06/2019 18:56:11
Posted by Anthony Knights on 18/06/2019 08:00:31:

One last word, then I won't bother posting anymore. In my teens, I lived in Skegness, so know Wainfleet well. Or I thought I did. I don't recognise the place now . All the housing I have seen on TV look like newish buildings to me. Built on a flood plain ?

I will now get back in the workshop before I upset anyone else.

Unfortunately many modern houses have been built on flood plains.

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest