By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: HSS hire 500 kg folding engine crane
23/06/2019 16:43:08

Latest update is that the lathe is in front of the stand, I moved it there by pallet truck which my next door neighbour happened to have.

On searching Ebay I came across a guy less than a mile away from me who is hiring a 2 ton crane for £10, I couldn't believe my lucksmiley

Thanks to all!!

Tony

22/06/2019 14:05:13

Thanks for all the replies, plenty of food for thought!!! Its already in the garage so just need to lift it up & onto the stand.

Tony

22/06/2019 12:33:12

Hi,

I need to install my brand new Warco WM290V lathe using a 500 kg folding engine crane, I contacted my local HSS hire but they couldn’t confirm if it would transport in the back of a Mondeo hatchback, has anyone moved one of these engine cranes by car?

Thanks,

Tony

Thread: Possible New Internet Scam to be Aware of.
22/06/2019 10:34:20

Saw a doco on TV where almost illiterate street kids in Lagos, Nigeria, buy time at shanty town internet "cafes" and send out such scam emails. Poor buggers are desperate for a feed yet only one mouse click away from people who live a fabulous life of luxury by comparison. IE, us. You have to feel sorry for them when you see their circumstances. Most of us, if we met them in person, would not begrudge them a few bucks to feed them for a week or two. Truly sad.

I often wonder where our £7 billion per year foreign aid goes to, obviously does bugger all for the really desperate? Sorry to get political but it makes me so mad!

Tony

Thread: water supply
18/06/2019 18:56:11
Posted by Anthony Knights on 18/06/2019 08:00:31:

One last word, then I won't bother posting anymore. In my teens, I lived in Skegness, so know Wainfleet well. Or I thought I did. I don't recognise the place now . All the housing I have seen on TV look like newish buildings to me. Built on a flood plain ?

I will now get back in the workshop before I upset anyone else.

Unfortunately many modern houses have been built on flood plains.

Tony

17/06/2019 06:49:25
Posted by Hopper on 17/06/2019 06:46:56:

Regarding overpopulation which has been mentioned in previous posts, I will offer the following facts.

(1) In 1950 the UK population was 50.38 million.

(2) 2019 figures show the population at 66.93 million ( and that's just the ones we know about )

That's hardly any increase at all. Rougly 16 million in 70 years. About half of one per cent a year? That's a dangerously low population growth rate, many economists say.

Edited By Hopper on 17/06/2019 06:48:46

These are the same economists who get bugger all right? in reality this country is becoming unpleasant to live in due to overpopulation! 

Tony

Edited By Tony Pratt 1 on 17/06/2019 06:51:39

Thread: High performance Torx bits
12/06/2019 20:03:48

Yes I should have mentioned 1/4" hex bits it is, unfortunately heat is not an option due to electronic components in close proximity.

Thanks,

Tony

12/06/2019 19:42:25

My last job before retirement involves quite a bit of small screw removals which are heavily Loctited in position, does anyone have personal industrial experience of a decent maker of small Torx bits, so far every bit I have seen in the company is just up from mild steel in performance.

Thanks

Tony

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 12:19:08

If you sell privately get the buyer to collect, it's absolutely no problem moving Myfords of this size, obviously a dealer will give you bottom dollar, advertising on Gumtree is free.

Tony

Thread: Myford vmf style (KF-VO-A2F)
04/06/2019 19:34:35

Condition condition, condition should be your criteria, I have a Myford VME so sort of the same size & it's a great little m/c.

Tony

Thread: Super 7 - Best way to use ER25 Collets
03/06/2019 12:16:33

I'll add my 2pennyworh, just watched 3 you tube videos by 'Ades workshop' on his trials mounting & using ER 32 collets, bottom line is you can normally work around a less than perfect collet chuck but if the collets do not have decent concentricity you are stuffed.

BTW Cutwel do a standard collet & a super precision offering.

Tony

Thread: Chernobyl TV Series
28/05/2019 17:51:01

I'm not watching it either, I've got enough real life drama going on, my last ever apprentice thinks it's great, ah the innocence of youth!

Tony

Thread: DC motor + speed controller
25/05/2019 17:52:14

Thanks Clive I will investigate!

Tony

25/05/2019 16:43:28
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/03/2016 14:41:14:

If you want to consider a stepper drive one that will allow you to do things like threading with it, wait for the next MEW which will have an article that goes through installation of a kit-build system in detail.

Neil

Hi,

I can't locate the article that Neil mentions above, can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Tony

Thread: Lathe improvements?
23/05/2019 20:08:16
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 23/05/2019 19:26:37:

There’s a chap just started a series on DIY ELS on YouTube - search for Clough42, makes very interesting viewing. He explains the issues very well and is developing the series as he goes, for example, has moved on from stepper to hybrid stepper / servo motor.

I'm awaiting developments on that one also.

Tony

Thread: Warrington Model Engineering Developments
19/05/2019 12:37:08

Didn't they make a power cross feed attachment [electric motor] for the Myford 7 lathes a long time ago?

Tony

Thread: Taper attachment
11/05/2019 19:52:13

Alan,

On an 8 deg right angled triangle with a base of 1", the height upright will be .14" & the hypotenuse will be 1.01", is that what you have?

Tony

Thread: Laser Tachometer
02/05/2019 20:11:45

Jason B,

Thanks for the excellent 'guide'!!! smiley

Tony

02/05/2019 19:40:36
Posted by JasonB on 02/05/2019 19:01:13:

Though for the same sort of outlay you can get the little tachos with proximity sensors and fit one of those which will give you a read out all the time. I have one on my mill now. This sort of thing

Hi,

Has anyone got an idiots guide to wiring up the 'little tachos' as linked above? I have the display, ribbon cable & sensor, thanks in advance.

Tony

Thread: 2mt Myford Collet
30/04/2019 21:43:04

The 'Myford' type of collet will only hold the nominal size, i.e. a 1/2" collet will only hold a 1/2" shank or yes you can use a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to hold the cutter.

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest