By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WM180 change wheels
22/10/2020 17:52:27

Oh for gods sake this is ridiculous!, how come an Ebay supplier selling decent products is 'verboten' I'm thinking of getting a Delrin gear but have to trawl the net to find said supplier?

Tony

Found him

Edited By Tony Pratt 1 on 22/10/2020 18:10:52

Thread: Optimum products?
21/10/2020 08:31:41

I had a Super 7 for 45 plus years, lovely m/c but 'limited' now with my son. Now got a Warco 290v [is that a Weiss?], cost £3300, it's build quality is as rough as a Badgers a**e but it is such a capable m/c, I threw the crappy gear train away & fitted an electronic lead screw, what a bonus!

The new Myford super 7 ['British engineering at its best'] is the wrong side of £10 k without tooling, I hope for that price it really is made in Britain?

The choice is yours dear reader, but if I was looking right now the Boxfords look value for money.

Tony

Thread: Griptru wil not ad just
20/10/2020 12:23:34

Plus one for Alan's comments, good bit of kit if used correctly.

Tony

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
18/10/2020 13:20:39

I'm going to leave well alone atm, if I get a problem later on I will get the change done to the latest update but the control panel is currently behaving itself.thumbs up

Tony

Thread: guideway surfaces regrind
14/10/2020 20:20:51
Posted by gerry madden on 14/10/2020 19:33:46:

Tony - As I thought about it more last night I concluded that the best way might be to drop the bars into V-blocks and skim each flank using a surface grinder. (The side of the wheel should clear the other flank due to the undercut at the root.) Assuming the guides are already precision machined, most of the error 'could' be in the heights of the V-blocks so some shimming might be required here to get the guide perfectly parallel with the table. I'm by no means an expert in such a field so I would be very interested in your thoughts as to why 0.005mm would be a challenge.

With respect I don’t think you realise how small .005 mm [.000197”] is in reality, in practical terms it will be extremely difficult to set up a grinding machine to take off evenly .005 mm, the parts are very unlikely to be flat within said .005 mm, there will be twist, distortion etc. etc.

Reworking a part to remove such a small amount is not really grinder territory but is very doable using a lap, how you measure the metal removal is open to conjecture. You would have to rely on the existing part to guide the lap.

Tony

Thread: End mill centre clearance
14/10/2020 10:39:52

Thin saucer shaped wheels.

Tony

14/10/2020 10:20:48

Roy, even with the new code installed I can change modes with the spindle running so I am confused.

Tony

14/10/2020 09:22:19

Finally working with no blips!! I fitted the split ferrite collars as suggested but unfortunately no better, I then updated the code from git hub [well my son did] & it's now sorted with no random data changes from the control panel, I think Clough42 lowered the clock speed?

Tony

Thread: guideway surfaces regrind
14/10/2020 08:15:30

You state 'cut depth to a max of 5um', which is .005 mm so not a grinding job as it would be nigh on impossible to set up & remove such a small amount but as previously stated lapping would be you best bet.

Tony

Thread: Bridgeport feed control lever
13/10/2020 17:26:36

I'm not an expert but used a Bridgeport for many years & can confirm the down feed should snap out of engagement with a positive feel. It does sound as if the adjustment is 'out' because the quill normally shouldn't feel rough at all, I would imagine there must be a Bridgeport manual online ? Or maybe the website 'Lathes.co.uk' has them for sale.

Tony

Yes manuals are online

Edited By Tony Pratt 1 on 13/10/2020 17:28:35

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 12:28:36
Posted by V8Eng on 13/10/2020 12:21:44:

I think you will find that most pressure to install smart meters comes from Central Government.

I have read that there is a Government requirement that UK homes to to be fitted with them within a certain time frame (not sure of years etc).

I also think companies may be liable to fines if they do not meet the required timescales.

Yes central govt has been convinced by someone green that smart meters save money, I think I'm right in saying that obviously we the consumer are paying the billions it will cost? Also I read somewhere that the roll out finish date has been extended more than once.

Tony

Thread: Chuck accuracy gone AWOL
13/10/2020 11:46:17
Posted by Mick B1 on 13/10/2020 10:06:10:
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 13/10/2020 08:18:34:

3 jaw chucks aren't really a precision work holding device.

Tony

This is a standard Warco chuck on a WM250V, with a bit of ground silver steel. The clock divisions are half-thous (when it comes into focus!):-

**LINK**

Admittedly this is the best result I got, and the reverse jaws and inside gripping configurations tended to get .001 - .002" TIR, but the great majority of standard chuck work uses 'em like this, so I wouldn't *usually* have any worries about removing and replacing the workpiece.

Edited By Mick B1 on 13/10/2020 10:07:31

I stand by my statement '3 jaw chucks aren't really a precision work holding device', your chuck is obviously a 'good one' at the moment, but give it a few years of use/abuse & things will change, a 3 jaw is very versatile but its design makeup doesn't lend itself to supreme accuracy, others may disagree?smiley

Tony

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
13/10/2020 09:19:55

I personally will not have a 'smart meter', it doesn't save any electricity as the ads state, if you don't realise switching on an appliance costs money you really do have a problem.

Tony

Thread: Chuck accuracy gone AWOL
13/10/2020 08:18:34

3 jaw chucks aren't really a precision work holding device.

Tony

Thread: Problems fitting soft jaws to a 3" Pratt lathe chuck
12/10/2020 12:57:37

Move the c/bored hole further away from the end face of the ally block??

Tony

Thread: Chinese BS0 Dividing Head
10/10/2020 19:32:41

I bought my BS0 head years ago from Chronos, no complaints so far. You might find Brexit puts tooling prices down, who knowsfrown

Tony

Thread: Good YouTube videos
10/10/2020 09:17:17
Posted by XD 351 on 10/10/2020 07:02:51:

I didn't resurrect this thread for this whingeing crap ! I didn't want to start another youtube video thread either - i just thought this channel may provide some entertainment or education for those who wish to watch it .

What happened last year or the years before i don't care about as this is out of my control and i was really hoping for a more positive reaction from my post .

And just for the record i now double check that any links to youtube or any website that i provide do not or have not done any reviews that would be in contradiction to the COD on this forum .

yes

Thread: Myford Super 7 Leadscrew
10/10/2020 08:15:49

As little as possible without binding,I can't see it being critical but 2.7 mm is a hell of a lot of end float.

Tony

09/10/2020 10:02:37

Alan, yes that's working now, I'm impressed with the wiring!! I shall be happy if mine just works.

Tony

09/10/2020 09:32:40

Hi Alan,

can you check your link please, it doesn't seem to work [for me]?

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest