By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Good Supplier of Sheet Metal Shear and Bending
11/10/2010 09:30:44
If you only have to do a one-off or even several-off, then no further use for machine, it would be far cheaper to pay a commercial outfit to do it for you and no machine to flog-off after!
Thats what I would do. Try looking thro Yellow Pages. If no luck locally, try YP further afield - local Library stock them.
Good luck,
John.
Thread: A strange fluid
08/10/2010 09:47:52
Hi David Clark 1,
Re your posting on 18/9/10 under "a strange fluid" thread, regarding adverts over text and you said "might be your browser". I am also suffering this prob. on this thread, using IE, so I thought I would try Firefox and sure enough, prob. red!!
Well I never! Good `ol Microsoft.
John
Thread: Metric vs Imperial - Practical or Traditional?
06/10/2010 09:04:32
Hullo Terryd,
Just read your post about the origins of our currency. I think you may be wrong. As I understand it, Pounds, Shillings and Pence or L, s, d, came from the Romans and Latin words, Libra, Solidus and Denarius. Still alousy method of measuring value.
John 
06/10/2010 08:55:44
Hi all,
Here we are again, arguing about Imp/Metric. Metric has a number of very useful benefits, like multiplying/dividing can easily be done by shifting the decimal point in head or on paper, no need for a calculator. Just try doing similar calcs. with thous-a thousand to the inch then we go to 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet in a yard, a cock-eyed 1760 yards to a mile. Now add in all the other daft  measurements, many still being used , like chains (22 yards?) used by our Railways. Have you forgotten Rods, Poles, Perches, Gills, Ounces, Pounds, Hundredweights and Pennyweights, Quarters and Tons, Nautical Miles, Fathoms, 4 Quarts to 1 Pint, 8 Pints to a Gallon and so the rubbish goes on and on.
BTW, I am British, schooled in England and taught both systmes at school.
In a nutshell. the problem is either one of being to VISUALISE how far is a Kilometre rather than half a mile or thous against tenths or hundredths of a millimetre or half a litre versus a pint or old codgers RESISTANCE to change.

THIS IS HOW I GET AROUND THE PROBLEM

Iam building a loco to Imperial dimensions so I use the Imperial edge of my steel rule and my Imperail mike, electronic calipers set to Imperial measurements.
Suppose I need to know how long a screw or rivet is needed to fix together say running board to valance angle and one piece of metal is in Imp. and the other in Metric. Ju st measure thickness of both in same units then calculate length of rivet/screw in same units. I dont have a problem with something like that. 
Thread: Shine a Light
05/10/2010 10:49:48
Hi John S,
I went to Brighton Uni - as a Security Officer!  Something I did as a fill-in to retirement after being made redundant from a much better job.
John.
Thread: HELP ME PLEASE!
05/10/2010 10:34:20
Hi Nick,
I use Yahoo and looking near the top of my current screen, there is a line of symbols same line as Y!  web search, which nicludes a picture of a fish. When mouse is hovered over it, it says, "Translate Page"  -  this is Babelfish, which I think you have to specifically download. I find it works onders!!
John
Thread: Rhoestats
05/10/2010 10:19:40
Hi Ray,
FWIW, I remember anodising done in a school science lesson. I clearly remember the excellent teacher demonstrating the effect of relatively high and low currents. A high current quickly deposited more plating of a very soft sludgy nature, easily rubbed off.
A low current took a long time to deposit a much thinner plating which was more or less permanent. This plating was then coloured with a dye. This was 40-50 years ago, so cannot help with what the dye was or actual currents/voltages. Hope the foregoing may be of  a little help.
John.
Thread: Lathe oiling
03/10/2010 12:39:23
Hi all,
I used to use one of thoses awful red pump cans with a handle and a grreen one with no handle where you hold the actual tank. I think both types used same/similar type of pump where more oil ends up on the user, tops and sides of cans and any surface they are put on.
Ever since investing in a Reilang can, no wasted oil and clean hands! Usual disclaimer - just very satisfied user.
The mls-7 has lift-up caps to oilers on 2 countershaft bearings and front mandrel, no problem. I unscrew spring loaded ball type oiler for mandrel rear bearing - it only takes a moment as I keep it just figer tight. Dont very often use back gear so oiling its bearings not a problem very often. Leadscrew bearings get the finger tight oiler treatment, same as Fobco drill and mill.
John. 
Thread: Visit to London
27/09/2010 10:13:19
Here`s another 4 model engineers visiting `the smoke` -

Rotherhythe Museum, only a small one, relates to adjacent Brunel tunnel under the Thames.

John
Thread: Hydraulic Oil Supplier
14/09/2010 16:19:54
I have seen the following recommended as a slideway oil concoction;

1 part STP or Wynn`s oil treatment (its very sticky to stay put.)
     1 part Molybdenum DiSulphide, a graphite oil, tradename, Molyslip.This was recommended to fill any minute spaces with balls of graphite to lubricate.
     20 (?) parts EP90, Extreme Pressure oil

Shake vigourously every time b4 use.

I use it on Myford bed  and graphite grease on leadscrews, Lathe & Mill. I use Myfords oil for the  bearings on MLS-7, Mill and Fobco Drill. I keep Myford oil in a Rheilang pump can for two reasons; it doesnt waste oil like other makes of pump cans so is economical with expensive oil and as it doesnt spill everywhere, I dont get oiled as well! 
John

Thread: gundrilling, and old ME articles sought
14/09/2010 15:53:41
Hallo Des,
For ME indexes, go to www.groundlevel.demon.co.uk
OR, Guy Lautard did a Technical Index of ME articles. There is also a spiral bound red covered book indexing a certain period of ME produced, I think, by EIM publishers, TEE Publishing.
John
Thread: Tramcars by Ashley Best in Model Engineer magazine
03/09/2010 14:56:25
I too, am enjoying the tram articles in ME even though they`re not my primary interest.
I emember when I must have been very young, having a ride on the trams on The Crumbles @ Eastbourne, a large flat beach - pebble area now built on and called Sovereign Harbour. I think the trams moved down to Seaton, (Dorset?)  I also remember more recent trips on Blackpool`s trams. Can vaguely remember rides on Brighton`s Trolleybuses. I think trolleys were the best of both worlds in having clean traction lacked by dirty diesel buses and the manouverability lacked by trams. Oh BTW, if you wonder how long ago all above was, I have got my bus pass!
Thread: wheels and loctite
31/08/2010 10:52:57
Hi all,
I remember a loco. construction series where the builder (Les Wharnett?) described initial machining of the portion of axle which would end up `inside` the wheel, to correctly
fit tightly, then M/C away the middle part to required diameter for the Loctite, leaving two lands about 1 / 32 nd inch each end of wheelseat as a guide to accurately locate wheel.
I am fairly sute it was the Lynton & Barnstaple loco described a few years ago in Eingineering In Miniature.
I would follow the above for ALL wheels or any other `shaft-in-a-hole.`  Where there is a twisting force as in Driving wheels or gears on a shaft, I would also use some sort of  pin,peg,wedge, spline or key - you know, the appropriate `mechanical` method of securing a shaft in a hole. 
Good luck, Bob,John.
Thread: David Clark
23/08/2010 09:41:37
I`m not looking for a check in the post but I will take this opportunity to thank David for all his efforts with both mags and this site -well done! Have taken ME since June,1962 and MEW from first issue, so have seen Editors come + go like politicians but the current one is the best by far.Long may you stay, David!
Thread: Fitting a DRO to a verticle mill
23/08/2010 09:34:28
Hi  Bob,
Why dont you ask Allendale? I`m sure they would be only to pleased to advise.
John

Thread: Which Milling Machine?
21/08/2010 16:43:32
Hi David,
Go to -
                  www.lathes.co.uk

+ select "Sharp" mill. You will see fotos of what I have got - it takes Myford collets, has Myford mandrel thread, table takes tee bolts on vert. slide. ( I recently used vert slide on table for special purpose.)  My "Sharp" has OEM powered table drive and stand.
This site will give detailed descriptions numerous mills + lathes+fotos.
Good luck,
John.
Thread: Don Young 0-6-0 "Aspinal"
21/08/2010 16:21:07
Hullo David,
I think Don described his Aspinall design in his own mag., "Locomotives Large And Small"
John
Thread: Making springs 2
16/08/2010 13:02:03
May I suggest you enquire if Squires of Bognor, West Sussex have any thing suitable. No connection, just satisfied customer. They do quite a thick heavy Catalog. Strange sort of shop - 1/2 is needlework etc, 1/2 is all sorts, wire, screws pliers and various hand tools rather like Proops or other miscellaneous bits stalls one sees @ exhibitions.
Good luck,
John.
Thread: Forum Posts Obscured by Advertisments
12/08/2010 22:23:44
When I click on  the more items for sale, I find the black characters od date/time/advertisers name are obscured by the blue lettering naming actual items for sale.
Can

someone please do something about this?
12/08/2010 22:23:43
When I click on  the more items for sale, I find the black characters od date/time/advertisers name are obscured by the blue lettering naming actual items for sale.
Can

someone please do something about this?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest