By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Case for Clocks
04/01/2011 12:06:02
Hi All,
From my notebook;
www.just-bases.co.uk            01803-558-820

21 Graham Road,
Paignton
TQ3 1BB

Bases, plinths, Perspex cases and domes, turntables, display boxes.

I cannot recall where I found the above but suspect it was probably a link from another site. I have no connection with this business and have not done any business with same, so readers should take usual precautions. Having said that, hope this helps.
John.
Thread: Metal storage
29/12/2010 17:19:16
Hi Pailo,
How about using different - length tubes and sorting stock lengths to suit?
For plate/sheet, use a purpose made rack with dividers and stand stock on edge. It may be necessary to fix the rack to a wall as I would think that it would soon get tippy. All depends upon sizes really, are we talking about 6" square  or 4ft x 2ft sheets?
John.
Thread: Late delivery of magazines due to adverse weather
29/12/2010 17:10:01
Hullo Peter,

You say stuff is getting through so you doubt its the bad weather as such.
How about this being the reason? - Royal Mail managers up to their ears in mail @ sorting offices decide that Joe public will create a hue + cry if important  Cr Card and other bills held up so people get charged for ` non-payment.` Also other types of Financial/Legal letters, Court papers, Summons, Hospital appointments and so on.
What would you do ? Sort out piles of mags posted en-masse and chuck `em all on one side to deal with after main backlog of more important post has been cleared.
Just a thought.
Thread: Footplate Experience Recommendations
27/12/2010 22:39:00
PS, I`ve got a bus pass now!!
27/12/2010 22:37:47
Hi,

A great many moons ago, when I was a teenager actually, I obtained a footplate pass from BRand had a ride on an M7 tank from Ryde StJohns road down to Ventnor and the other roue, out to Newport and Cowes, all on the Isle of Wight. This was just befor closure of Wroxall and Ventnor section and complete closure of Newport/Cowes line under the Beeching cutbacks of non-viable routes.
The journey from Wroxall to Ventnor was an experience! Most of it was in a tight fitting tunnel under Knighton Down and the tunnel had a bend in the middle so you couldn`t see the other end. It was absolutely choking on the footplate with brown sulphurous gases/smoke.
Ventnor was in a bowl shape carved out of the chalk, rather like the Chalkpits museum, West Sussex. Down the West sidewall, large caves had been hewn. I dont know original use for them but when I was there, some were in use for coal merchants storage.
When we came back from Cowes and entered the Junction with the Sandown/Shanklin/Ventnor line, said junc. having a speed limit of 40MPH, the well-worn tank was making a deafening racket, jerking the pole reverser backwards and forwards.
Happy memories!
John.
Thread: Late delivery of magazines due to adverse weather
25/12/2010 11:18:24
Hi all,
He`s been!
Man in red jacket left a pressie on Friday; MEW172!!
Didnt have a silly red hat or Rheindeer - must have left them @ home.
 Ah well, `summat ter read` @ work next week.
Merry Xmas everyone.
John.
Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
22/12/2010 23:11:49
I have seen the Vulcan several times - wow!!
Also seen and heard the Eurofighter. When it goes away and turns so you can see the exhausts, the noise just has to be heard to be believed!
They say Concord was noisy. I was at a Stones concert at the old Wembley anmd looked up to see Concord going over, completely `silent` like a dirigible, the concert was so loud. I`ve now got Tinnitus.
John.

Thread: Which slideway oil is best?
22/12/2010 22:55:19
I use a concoction recommended by Guy Lautard (lautard.com).
1 fluid ounce of STP or Wynns oil treatment (makes concoction very sticky so it stays put)
1 fluid ounce of Molyslip oil, this is full of tiny balls of graphite which get into any very small crevice G is a very good lube.
A quantity of EP90, an extreme pressure oil. Cannot remember how much of this - will have to look iy up + get back.
Mix up by shaking vigourously in used plastic oil bottle.
Seems to work OK

Regards,

John
Thread: issue 171
21/12/2010 21:50:56
Hi all,
Re my prev. moan 18/12 about ME4393+MEW172.
Monday,20/12, I was in Smiths, Churchill Sq., Brighton as soon as they opened. I counted 9 copies No.4393, 5 copies No.172 and approx a dozen (didnt actually count them) of January EIM. These are the dregs left after the weekend vultures.
I have all 3 by subs but `good ol` snailmail` still failed on Tuesday. I think that as EIM hasnt arrived, it must be our wonderful postal system, not myhobbystore.
John
18/12/2010 22:22:18
website says ME-4393 & MEW-172 are in shops but not in my house yet, as of Sat eve 18/12."Good `ol Snailmail."

16/12/2010 15:04:14
David Clark 1,
I am using this `moans thread` to tell you about the letter dated "Dec 3 2010"received today (16th) "Snail Mail" to blame??
1) It appears to be mass produced with half the Market Harboro` address chopped off.
2)"FREE access to our online archive of past issues allowing you to search fo your favourite articles".

No it doesn`t!  Even after logging on with my subsciber no., go into "Archive" and it demands another 30 quid. Or what am I doing wrong and if so,  why doesn`t the letter explain how?

3) Why does the letter (dated only 3rd Dec) state my renewal will star with "Mar 2011 Iss 174" ? Is this to assist myhobbystores cashflow?!!

Sorry to moan about letter whci is very similar to many previous renewal reminders but I think my point no 2 is a serious complaint.
BTW, I very much enjoyed XBN and think bothME/MEW very much improved. Happy Xmas!
Thread: Chemical blackening
13/12/2010 16:14:39
There are more than one ME/MEW advertiser who frequently advertise blacking chemicals but unfortunately, cannot name them off top of head.
13/12/2010 16:12:13
search internet-you never know!
Thread: Horses for Courses
10/12/2010 21:42:23
Hullo Terryd,
You are probably right - Stainless doesnt like seawater. I once read a corrosion article about Stainless screws and boltshaving  been used on a wooden yacht and it was found that where they were hidden from sight inside the wood and permanently wet, they developed patches of corrosion which would eat the bolt away rather quickly until it failed so I understand Bronze is back in favour.
John.
Thread: Fluxes
09/12/2010 09:29:48
Hi All,
Soft Solder Flux. I have not yet tried it but someone "at the club" recommended a flux which he said really does work on brass although the makers say its for copper tube in the plumbing industry; Wickes Active Paste Flux.John
Thread: You are going to the Model Engineer Exhibition aren't you?
08/12/2010 11:02:24
Hi David,
I`m going Fri.  Have pre-ordered items from various traders to collect.
Merry Xmas & Happy Hogmanay!
John
Thread: Metric vs Imperial - Practical or Traditional?
06/12/2010 10:52:27
Hi All,
Having said what I have in last post, I try to keep to one or other system as required by what`s offered on drawing/in book, rather than constantly trying to convert.
I think the hardest work on say, loco-building, is coping with a drawing which says 16G
brass sheet in stock is 1/16" and the angle to join it is say, 2mm thick. To find length of screw/rivet needed to join them, I would reduce everything to decimal parts of an inch.
John.  
06/12/2010 10:45:02
Hi All,
I have a cork notice board in my workshop weith various notes drawing-pinned on, mainly laminated to keep `em clean.
Possibly of interest in the metric/imp section is something I cribbed from I cannot remember where;-
3 Horizontal lines, the first marked "inches" and reads left to right, .39  .79  1.18  1.57  1.97  2.36  2.76  3.15  3.54  3.94  4.33  4.72
Second line; 1  2  3    4 consecutively to 12
Third line reads "cm" (centimetres) 2.54  5.08  7.62  10.16  12.70  15.24  17.78  20.32 
22.86  25.40  27.94  30.48
Obviously, in the vertical, the .39 is directly above "1" in next lower line and in turn, directly above "2.54" in the bottom line.
Suppose you want to know what 6cm is, in inches. Look @ "6" in middle row and read
up to top row = 2.36 inches.
What`s 8" in metric? Look @ "8" in middle row again and read down to bottom row =
23.32cm/203.2mm
How easy is this.
Thread: Brake Discs
01/12/2010 09:53:18
ady,
Overnight flash rusting DOES take place on unprotected ferrous items. It used to happen a long time ago in my wooden shed workshop, cured by a number of precautions.
I am told that the London tube train rails rust overnight before first morning train.
BTW, its been snowing very fine powdery stuff for hours down here in Brighton and still only an inch or so and main roads black slush.
John
Thread: Setting Piston Valves
22/11/2010 10:05:29
LBSC once recommended the compressed air escape from drain valves method, I think it was a loco. with `tween frames steam chests.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest