By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Keyway Broaching
03/01/2020 12:55:34

My old Drummond fb had drive pins on the changewheels.

Thread: Scam ?
27/12/2019 12:24:57

Just like to add that my prev. post is in no way critical of Ian. In fact, a brief glimpse of a large amount of script appears with a piccy of a loco drawing but is very quickly obliterated/superimposed by the Google message. It is the apparent "Google message" and the way that it is smartly covering the other posting, maybe in the hope that the reader will not notice and  human greed takes over to click on a choice of prizes that is the doubtful part to my mind. Looks like, click on a "prize" and you get one, but not what you might expect. Likely to get taken to a fake site and robbed blind.

Edited By DMB on 27/12/2019 12:33:32

Edited By DMB on 27/12/2019 12:35:04

27/12/2019 12:17:30

This one for Neil or one of the other moderators?

Under "042 Locomotive," Ian Childs has replied with a link.

When I click that link, a page appears, headed up as Google saying I am the 7.38 billionth search request and there is a subdued woman's voice saying "congratulations." And a prize, which looks like an invitation to click on, which of course I won't.

Comments, anyone?

Thread: Scam alert
20/12/2019 23:48:20

Further to my previous posting regarding "Loveenergysavings.com."

They are based in Bolton phone no. 01204 866054.

It is entirely possible that is a respectable organisation but the person and outfit that he represents could be something different, especially as he was using various phone numbers with an area code of 0203, whatever that is.My thoughts are that my frequent caller was an imposter claiming to work for L E S. Funny how Martin Lewis mentions a number of comparison sites but not that one. I wonder why?

All dead and buried now and he never got the chance to obtain Bank details from me

As I often say, "if in doubt, chuck it out."

Edited By DMB on 20/12/2019 23:52:01

20/12/2019 23:30:52

Bandersnatch,

Nor have I; my wonderful wife sadly pegged it from Sepsis and many other complications of Diabetes, sometime ago. I was always under pressure to answer the phone or the doorbell. I often ignore doorstep callers if not expecting actual deliveries known callers. I refer to my prev. post regarding phone. Got caught out the other week, went to door expecting Amazon delivery but confronted by 2 giggling teenage girls door knocking for Caroline Lucas for the Green Party, here in Brighton. [I wouldn't vote for them but she did deserve votes for effort. Hers was the first and last leaflets in my letterbox as well as those callers. Only 1 leaflet each from 2 other parties and neither were Conservative and no other party bothered with door knocking in this part of Brighton Pavillion constituency. Guess what I think of them all. And I no longer vote on mere promises.]

To get back to topic of scallywags, landline phone nice and quiet these days! My mobile always switched off unless I want to use it. Get complaints about being uncontactable but I remind whingers of who pays the bill. Just leave message and I'll call back, which I do.

Thread: Imperial Fasteners
20/12/2019 17:56:38

BSW & BSF may still be available from Blackgates/GLR/ maybe even Reeves or EKP. Try Google??

Thread: Scam alert
20/12/2019 17:51:12

Earlier this year, had a phone call from Loveenergysaving as a result of digging around for a cheaper elec. supplier for club. Caller claimed to be a legitimate site like MoneySavingExpert and others. I checked Companies Register, not really surprised to find a listing as "they" all do that to lend an air of respectability. He was claiming to get the club a better deal than the current supplier and that was with one and the same supplier! When I queried that, he said that he could obtain a bulk discount for introducing new customers. He knew the club was with that supplier. He also gave a quote at prices which seemed to be too good to be true. Ignored my figure of annual useage and used a much larger consumption figure. Phone calls at least once a day and constant emails went on for weeks. I blocked emails and phone calls but he called from an apparently different number each time, mostly starting 0203 etc. Eventually, he used what looked like my own number, which if I blocked it without reading properly, I would have blocked myself! Anyway, the last digit had been changed, he hoping I wouldn't notice. Needs to get up a bit earlier to catch me.Finally after that, I had the landline number changed and being choosy who I reveal it to. Most organisations will only be given one or other of my old nos., so I dont get a repeat of selling on. Contract comes to an end soon and number change again.

Thread: Building a Forge
15/12/2019 10:19:11

Hi ChrisB,

Going on other's earlier postings, maybe better to use white insulation blocks from a building supplies co as they reflect and intensify the heat. Refractory bricks absorb and hold the heat, no so good for your proposed useage. Must emphasize that I have not tried this out, it's only what others have said. I plan to do this, next summer? maybe. See if you can track down prev. discussions on this subject.

John

Thread: Stuart S50 (Want to cry)
12/12/2019 14:08:22

Hi Michael,

Wait for a forecasted dry day and put the lot outside in the bbq and cover with dry sand to ensure a very slow cooling. Cover with scrap sheet steel to keep rain/dew off.

Still use carbide cutters.

HTH

John

Thread: Myford Super 7 Apron removal
11/12/2019 15:56:27

Hi All,

I understand that some S7 rhs bearings have dowels which are tapped 2BA, for the insertion of a puller. HTH

John

Thread: Magazine article series.
09/12/2019 16:38:49

What about "Screengrab"? Paste etc?

Thread: Lathe lighting
07/12/2019 19:51:54

Noah had a couple of those "Admiralty" Drummonds, loaded on board 2 by 2.

Put em on Ebay b4 he went into nursing home

Edited By DMB on 07/12/2019 19:52:57

Thread: Nuts
03/12/2019 23:11:31

Weird looking. Why the huge tubular spacers?

Thread: Drill Query
30/11/2019 22:43:42

For those who don't know, I believe PCB material is very abrasive and requires use of carbide drills.

Thread: Raising the work area
26/11/2019 23:06:33

Hi Quenton,

I note your comment about your Sharp mill. I also have one. Great little machine but shame about limitations;

"Daylight" above table, which is not much when using a Clarkson windmill chuck.

Table only 4 1/2" wide. (Just continue struggling to workaround)

Only 2 T slots in table. ( I get by with difficulty)

I am interested to know how you increased the head height? I have given this much thought and have a scheme which is in with the rest of my "Roundtoits." My idea was to use 2 whopping great blocks of cast iron with a pair of holes in each. They would fit on the (retracted) overarm and the arm supporting the vertical spindle would fit in the top hole. About 4"/100mm increased height. Is this what you did?

John

Thread: Gandalf is broken
22/10/2019 21:04:16

Chuck it away n get a noo onedevil

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
20/10/2019 09:11:35

I am a Brighton club member, a thriving club. We have a member so young (11 or 12) that a condition of his membership is to be accompanied by a parent. There are a further 7 of various ages below 18. On the other hand, one member keeps reminding everyone that he will be 90 next year.

Worthing club, of which I am also a long standing member, has no under 18s that I am aware of. This being inspite of running council sponsored model making courses for the school ages during the summer hols. Hopefully, the memory will stick and some will take up the hobby in later years, perhaps when the hormones recede!

If the above is typical the most other clubs will either have no youngsters or several, but it's a start. This sort of discussion has been going on for years and will no doubt continue.

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
16/10/2019 13:27:51

Hi Ian,

Agree with Andy, grab the opportunity which will give you full control over the property. Means that you can get repairs carried out at a price chosen by you, not exorbitant maintenance charges. Also alterations to suit you but maybe subject to planning law.

Great chance for your future. Sorry, cannot advise on the cost quoted but if it was me, I'd be inclined to take up the offer

Very good luck,

John

Thread: 31/2 gauge Lion assembly problem
16/10/2019 10:43:15

Yet another drawing ballsup.

Thread: High Paint Costs
15/10/2019 14:09:33

Dont blame you, that price seems so ridiculous that one could assume it's a pricing error. Let em keep it for ornamentation in the shop! Ha,ha.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest