By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Decent Oilcan suggestion please
16/11/2012 09:20:13

I think Merlin was wrong in saying 2 sizes of Reilangs - I am fairly certain that there are 3.

I saw a batch on a stand @ recent MEX which appeared to be very poorly finished. I am wondering whether that trader thinks theyre being `smart` and getting a cheap Chinese version to sell @ normal price for extra profit. If I am right, they will soon `slip up`!

John

Thread: Workshop Security
07/11/2012 21:58:45
wot? call local police station? If they are still open!
Thread: Knurling
06/11/2012 20:46:44

My 4yr old desktop Acer uses XP Pro and is showing posts covered by the adverts on this thread. Even using compatability view doesn`t cure the problem. However, if I call up same on my 3G mobile, eveything is displayed correctly. This leads me to believe that the prob. is likely to be connected with running "obsolete" software. The mob. is running a much more up to date software. B4 anyone says they cannot afford a new mob. that is internet-enabled, mine is a fairly new model - Samsung GS11, FREE on contract. Low cost monthly rental but with a low data allowance. Use it sparingly and it lasts the month till a new allowance received. I am using 02 which obligingly sends me a text if I use allowance B4 end of month - not paid huge xtra cost yet! Just recommending this as purely a very satisfied customer. Cost? well how much do you easte on smokes/booze? & nothing to show for it but a good cough/hangover!

Thread: Amolco milling attachment
04/11/2012 11:13:56

joegib,

Re your post on 4/11@0910. Google says the link given by you is broken.

John

Thread: Design a covering mechanism
03/11/2012 21:05:24

UK cannot, surely, be the only industialised country to be bogged down by the Hinder & Stop brigade? So How do they cope with this prob in say, Ozzie, USA, Canada etc? We copy the rest in so many other ways.

Thread: Feeling of inadequacy
03/11/2012 20:45:00

I also still have a loco proj. to finish, which I hope to achieve before no. 2 proj; getting back more in OAP pension payments than the total NHI contributions paid in!! B4 I snuff it. Hopefully, also finish all the other projects that I have got started

John

Thread: The 2012 Model Engineer Exhibition at Sandown Park on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of November
01/11/2012 16:34:02

KWILL and Derek S,

Thanx very much for oyur help, much appreciated. Was right in guessing 10 am but 1hradrift of times all 3 days. Hope you all enjoy xbn.

Rgds, John

30/10/2012 22:41:57

DC1,

I am going to have a Vic Meldrew moment! ; I dont believe it. Have searched the mags, my advance ticket, various parts of this site and the special "modelengineershow.co" site and still cannot ascertain the open/close times of MEX!! Please help, ta!

Rgds, DMB

Thread: MEW 200th issue
22/10/2012 14:29:09

Hi DerryUK,

Please read previous posts by others where there seems to be a consensus of opinion that MEW always has been and should continue to be used for workshop methods, ideas and making machines or parts of. Likewise, ME is more actual model making.

Rgds,

John

Thread: Using acetylene with silver solder
07/10/2012 23:56:08

Ianmac,

It seems from your description that you have, or very nearly, finished the boiler. If so, you may be lucky in that the blistered SS joints may not leak and I would be tempted to carry out a low pressure test to check this. I say this because I think Michael Williams` post is probably correct - remaining SS could now only melt at a much higher temperature. You could possibly have difficulty. I would therefore do a low - press. test to see if its OK rather than risk trouble. Let the club boiler tester see it and and accept his opinion as the last word on this. Good luck, hope all turns out OK.

John.

Thread: Quick Change Toolpost and Holder systems
07/10/2012 23:40:15

chris j,

I had trouble with rapid - depletion of charge in my camera batteries. I have stopped using rechargeables, now only use non-rechargeables and carry spares if going out somewhere.

Have recently left camera at home and relied on mobile phone`s camera - Samsung GS11 - brilliant quality photos but in fairness to camera, it has more pixels.

John

Thread: Boiler failure reported in old issue of ME
07/10/2012 23:27:42

Its not just dodgy boilers but also dodgy fittings. I recently heard of someone haing a hand scalded by a backhead fitting blowing out + the hot water + steam. I understand that it was a commercial fitting with, would you believe, a tapered thread! If this is correct and if I had been the injured driver, I would have named and shamed the maker Lets hope the guilty are reading this and take it as a warning that if it happened to me I would sue.

Thread: Using acetylene with silver solder
07/10/2012 11:23:37
would job be too hot,causing solder to overheat and bubble(effectively,boil)?
Thread: Myford Super 7
02/10/2012 11:56:21

Sparky,

There are a couple of parts of your lathe which suggest to me that it is not an MLS7 but possibly an ML7R. I have a similar grey Myford and its a genuine S7. Id has different headstock bearings - yours look like ML7 style. Your leadscrew protector appears to be the tubular type. Mine is a short length of flat bar bolted to the end of the saddle at an angle to create a slope, making swarf + coolant run off.

What do you think?

John

02/10/2012 11:45:53

Sparky,

There are a couple of parts of your lathe which suggest to me that it is not an MLS7 but possibly an ML7R. I have a similar grey Myford and its a genuine S7. Id has different headstock bearings - yours look like ML7 style. Your leadscrew protector appears to be the tubular type. Mine is a short length of flat bar bolted to the end of the saddle at an angle to create a slope, making swarf + coolant run off.

What do you think?

John

Thread: Filing Machine Construction
28/09/2012 23:20:47

I consider HH to be an excellent author - one of the best.

As regards a previous remark on "padding out an article, I fail to understand why some apparently cannot be bothered to explain things in detail since this would certainly pad out and earn them more for their efforts and at the same time, be very useful to some readers. Some articles just seem to be padded with waffle, intentional or otherwise.

John

Thread: Thunder Mountain WIP
28/09/2012 22:51:31

Its looking good.

What do you use to fix the bits together?

John

Thread: Drilling copper
28/09/2012 22:48:53

If you use milk, you need to have a good clean up - nice to drink cold but out of date, rank + stinking!

I think even a small amount left on machine will probably stink.

I have used (not for copper) excess oil drained from tinned sardines but that goes very smelly fishy pong. Live + learn!

good luck,

John

Thread: Decent Oilcan suggestion please
26/09/2012 22:59:50

Hi Ian,

Over the years, I have tried a number of different oil cans with a screw top and a handle and pump lever mounted on top. Nearly all painted red, some had the proud manufacturers name on them. The tops all leaked profusely, dripping oil everywhere, like makers held shares in oil companies! Also got another type, similar to above but no handle - hold tank, which is just as bad. Proud? they should all be deeply ashamed of their rubbish products.

Then I bought a "Reilang." Wow! expensive but so is "Myford" oil if its wasted by the cheaper types of oil can. Reilang has not yet spilt a drop. Very satisfied customer. Available from Blackgates Engrg, Reeves and possibly others.

Thread: Digital Magazine Flash Problem?
24/09/2012 00:14:34

Hi Steve,

Internet banking? huh! I have the most secure password in the world for that - it`s called, "DONT!"

All the time my bank will let me `get away with` phone banking + keep it off "thiefnet," so I will.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest