By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help needed for screws - Fishing Reel
05/05/2020 09:52:57

EKP have the appropriate machinery to cut threads themselves. Think there was an article in ME(?) sometime ago about EKP and their machinery.

Just googled "7/32 x 48 tpi" and first item on flebay is what the OP wants, priced at AUD $19.9, seller, "C, Australia" so suspect that's "Classic Fasteners" mentioned above.

HTH

Thread: Cutting a slot in a turned piece
27/04/2020 14:11:13

Hi Adam,

If you use small dia slot drills or endmills, use high speeds. Slitting saws, start at the slowest speed and change up to next one and so on. Key is to listen to the tool, loud screeches or other noises, its saying I'm in pain! In other words, something wrong like too high a speed, or work not adequately secured against vibration. Even just clamping work will dampen vibrations leading to a better finish. Be ready to experiment a bit with setups and speeds. Above all, use at least good eye protection - NHS dont do spares yet.

Good luck with job

John

Edited By DMB on 27/04/2020 14:14:09

Thread: Blot On The Landscape
24/04/2020 16:08:10

How to upgrade existing routes? How about widening existing trackbeds, London to Glasgow via Brum and Manchester and bring back the wider carriages on a new broad gauge? Same number of carriages but more passengers in each due to the wider bodies and could go up at the same time with double deckers, even more passengers per block section.

Just get me coat

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
14/04/2020 00:21:53

When I was very young, the big co-op bakery in Portland Rd., Hove, used to deliver bread with a large horse drawn van, early1950's at that age I got rushed out to front door to see 'bakers geegee' go past! Often left his 'visiting card' in road outside which my parents quickly shovelled up for the roses. Hand pushed cart, gypsy called out, "any ol rag n bone?" We used to go to a shop called "International Stores" near Portslade & West Hove Station as it was called then, now just "Portslade". Choose groceries in that shop, arrange day of delivery by motorised van rather than horse and cart, wow! Things gone full circle, shops complaining about reducing footfall but they keep quiet about their increasing online sales which must make up. Order on line and its delivered. Quicker, more efficient version of the old way. My Mother used to live in a house on Reigate Heath, as a child and remembered taking own container out to meet milkman who ladled milk out of a churn on the back of a small 2 wheeled horse drawn cart. Her Uncle was one of the early motorists in Brighton with bicycle spoke wheels. He used to complain about the price of petrol, Bob a gallon! 5p, new money now it's at least £1.06 and just a litre, about £4.74 a gallon. I remember laying awake at night listening to BR's loose coupled 4 wheel goods wagons going along the Brighton to Worthing line, about a mile away at Southwick. They seemed to rattle for ever more. Kept awake at night by the all night pile driving in Southwick for the new electric power station being built alongside Shoreham harbour. Years later they had open days, went up on flat roof, terrific view. All gone same way as the old power station which it replaced and the coal gas works went. New smaller gas fired power station in place of the enormous last coal fired one. Gas comes across the new South Downs country park, underground in twin pipes and under the 'canal' (harbour) to power station on South side next the sea. The then new larger lock to take bigger coal ships was "opened" by Prince Phillip. Now it's been made smaller for the sailing boats, so as use a lot less water. Might be seawater but it costs money to keep pumping it. How life changes. Anyone been to Pendon Museum? Origins in the 1930s when a model maker became alarmed with all the changes to the vale of the white horse, first the Kennet and Avon canal, then GWR then traction engines, then cars, buses, lorries and metalled roads. Well worth going to see Museum.

Edited By DMB on 14/04/2020 00:27:03

Thread: End mill relief
10/04/2020 14:34:56

Bob,

In your opening post, you mentioned "dish angle". Can I take it that what you meant was the very cutting edge being angled from the centre to the outer, sharp corner? This is somewhere around 3/4° or so. Quite important to have that as well as the primary and secondary angles. It applies to 2 and 4 tooth end mills.

John

Thread: Check my sums please
05/04/2020 10:36:37

"All the wheels are a nice hand push fit on their axles".

Wondering why no one else has picked up on that remark? I really dont think that they are a tight enough fit to prevent later movement, un-doing the wheel quartering. I suppose it's possible that builder intends to loctite them.

John

Thread: Myford Mk1 Super 7 restoration
04/04/2020 19:05:20

Hi and welcome!

I note comment about rear toolpost. I can confirm that it is Myford - I have one.

My S7 dates from around 1971. Now got Newton - Tesla vfd drive as the old motor 'went home'.One of the best extras that can be fitted to the basic lathe, in my opinion. I have collected quite a few accessories over time. Very satisfied with my purchase many years ago.

Hope you get a lot of pleasure from using it like I have.

John

Thread: Machinery's Handbook
02/04/2020 22:15:19

Doc. flattening or doorstop!

Thread: A few Thou Under?
02/04/2020 22:05:14

Malcolm,

Read a previous one under "General Questions" and "Threading and the Tables", see 'Hopper's posting on 31/3/2020@23:53:33. I think this about as good advice as any. Note that all threads should ride on the flanks and not interfere with root/crest. Soft metals will be squashed/deformed rather than cutting cleanly and some of the 'spare' metal could choke up the root/crest void, making things a bit tight, hence the 'extra' 5 thou clearance As an example,I have just turned down1/4" brass rod (all I had suitable) to 3/16" and put a 2BA die down it. Too tight, boy did it squeal! General rule of thumb, if metal makes a loud noise, something not right - investigate and correct, which of course I didn't!

Note, .6403 x Pitch applies to BSW/BSF/BRASS26T/ME32/40/60TPI, but I think ME60T is no longer in use. Metric, BA, Unified have thread depths and flank angles to different to that of the Whitworth 'group'. 

HTH,

John

Edited By DMB on 02/04/2020 22:13:35

Thread: Model Engineers' Workshop and Coronavirus
02/04/2020 21:20:52

Neil,

I think poor old PM had a bit more to cope with, like his ME offices warmed up a bit with an incendiary!

John

Thread: Lathe
30/03/2020 23:04:24

Hi Ronen,

Did you get a manual? If so, consult it. It may well list all wheel configurations for threads and feeds. Assuming change wheels rather than gearbox, use largest wheel available on leadscrew. You need a huge gear reduction to get a very low leadscrew speed and thus, a fine feed. I'm not au fait with Warco lathes but if all else fails, ask makers for help/advice. Have found owner, Roger Warren a pleasant and helpful  chap to deal with.

John

Edited By DMB on 30/03/2020 23:07:38

Edited By DMB on 30/03/2020 23:08:28

Edited By DMB on 30/03/2020 23:09:06

Thread: Coronavirus
30/03/2020 22:51:15

Dont give a bugger how they do it as long as my pensions continue to arrive every month. The greedy lot have already creamed off their 'share' of my money, so one of my remaining bucket list items is to live long enough to draw out in pension a darn sight more than I actually paid in!

Thread: Myford Super 7 tailstock taper turning adjustment
30/03/2020 22:42:37

An old idea I've seen in a book is to put the faceplate on with both head - and tail - stock centres in. Use centres to hold a bar of metal by the hole in it at one end and swivel bar by hand around in front of the faceplate like a clock face and minute hand. Note varying space, if any, between outer end of bar and faceplate. This magnifies any discrepancy. Not tried it on my Myford or the fb Drummond I had previously, just what I saw in a book.

Thread: Pressure
30/03/2020 22:28:57

Only a few weeks ago here in Brighton, my small cheapo barometer showing very low readings every few days and rising a bit in between. One occasion, it went to 945 lowest I've ever seen but dont know how accurate my baro is, at least it gives a sort of ball park idea of what's going on.

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 21:38:54

In my workshop, all the power sockets are on a ring circuit from a main switch in the shed. Lighting is from the same main switch box but arranged as a radial down either side of shed. All individual items are always at least switched off at the plug, but the Newton Tesla vfd for the Myford is unplugged until wanted to use, so as to be sure of protecting expensive kit. Special close up led lighting on mill supplied by dodgy looking wallwart transformer plug also only plugged in when needed to prevent fire. Only heating left switched on, in use 24/7.

If I go out or going to bed, most items in the house switched off at the plug, not left on standby like I understand people do with their TV. Of course, all but the freezer and fridge get the plugs pulled during thunderstorms, including workshop power. Reduces number of burnt out appliances if struck. Too bad about the hardwireds, Insurance claim for them.

What does it matter if UK does house wiring differently to the rest of the world? It works and seems safe enough. Next time you go to France, take a look at their grid pylons, totally diff. design to ours but they work. Just more than one way of skinning the moggy.

Thread: Motor Starters
25/03/2020 09:02:11

Seeing the VFD thread by Steviegtr, I'm reminded of the time when I wanted help wiring a simple starter for my 1PH mill motor. This was small green and red push buttons and a big red mushroom head emergency off button. Yellow top of box, black lower half.

Two options, an expensive one in UK or identical el cheapo model on internet from the east. I went for the latter, with of course, no instructions and I couldn't figure out how to wire it, so appealed for help on here. Several answers including look at instructions supplied with UK version.

I tried both, they were different circuits for apparently the same switch. The UK version wiring diagram didn't work, meaning the Chinese makers had built the innards differently for some reason. The other circuit supplied by another reply works perfectly.

I dont feel it necessary to have VFD on the mill but I have it on the myford. 'Plug n play' type from Newton -Tesla. Highly recommended, trouble free, excellent.

Edited By DMB on 25/03/2020 09:04:53

Thread: Fine Gauze
20/03/2020 19:45:11

Tim, do you mean a piece of figlass thread poked thro' the holes?

20/03/2020 19:43:11

Speedy, well done!, good clear instructions like LBSC. Got any more good loco build tips?

Come on, spill the beans as the great man used to say.

John

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
17/03/2020 15:27:43

Rhubarb doing well in my back garden, if anyone needs help to clear their bog roll stockpile........

Thread: Can anyone help me?!
14/03/2020 21:36:37

Claire,

What sort of saw? Engineers hacksaw, presumably but could be a jewellers, coping or other type? Can you describe it? This applies to all queries; give as much info as possible and/or photo, to boost possible number of responses. I mean this to be helpful, not critical.

John

Edited By DMB on 14/03/2020 21:39:47

Edited By DMB on 14/03/2020 21:41:04

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest