By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WARNING Scammer
21/09/2020 20:46:27

Police should be informed - get him/her taken out

Thread: interest renewed
18/09/2020 22:51:04

Hello again, Peter,

Ian T is showing a pic of what appears to be an ER chuck anf I notice that the for sale column is showing a boxed set of 4 collets and what may be a Clarkson chuck, £50.

John

18/09/2020 22:42:14

Oh, another thing, only buy sizes of cutters needed, preferably new so guaranteed to be sharp and use cutting oil. Cutters dont blunt so quickly with use of cutting oil and should last quite a while before the need to sharpen. I wouldnt think the relatively flimsy set up in a lathe would allow the use of large dia. cutters. There are businesses doing cutter sharpening, at a price. The alternative will be friends/ club members with the equipment to do the job or buy/make your own. Making an endmill sharpening jig is a bit of a journey in itself. I am currently halfway through making Harold Hall s design.

John

Edited By DMB on 18/09/2020 22:44:03

18/09/2020 22:29:24

Hello Peter,

Dont know if you are aware but I offer the following with good intention and not wishing to offend. Do not try to use end mills on your lathe without a proper milling chuck or the necessary drawbar to hold chuck tight to the mandrel. Lathe collets and chucks cannot grip tight enough to prevent the endmill spiral from winding the cutter out of the chuck. Either / and work ruined, cutter teeth broken, etc. Get a second hand Clarkson milling chuck and make a drawbar to stop it coming loose, Morse Tapers locate but unsuitable to hold. If you go that route, you will need screwed shank endmills to screw into that type of chuck. There are 4 Imperial sizes of collets in a set to fit the Clarkson chuck, which take various dia. cutters which share a common size shank. There are also similar sized metric collets to hold a range of metric cutters. The base of the metric collets have a circumferential groove to indicate that they are metric rather than Imperial but sizes should be engraved on the side anyway.It is now more usual to use an ER chuck to hold plain shank cutters. Several ME suppliers stock new ER chucks in various sizes to grip a range of collets available separately. Hope this helps, any questions, askaway.

John

Thread: Dore boring and facing head
18/09/2020 17:30:07

Hi Steve,

FWIW, the ali casting is about as tough as bluetack - fit a threaded steel bush for the tool locking screw.

John

Thread: Best way to remember Mill movements when turning hand wheels
16/09/2020 21:51:53

Hi Chris TickTock,

I am right handed and using my right hand, turning X axis wheel @ RH end of table clockwise, table moves forward away from RH extremity or if you like, from Right to Left. Likewise, Y axis wheel turned clockwise makes table move away from me towards body of mill. My mill has a fixed Z axis spindle because it has a rise and fall knee with the operating handle below the table and to the right of the knee. Again, winding wheel clockwise makes the table rise up, which seems to be quite natural. Just like "Sandgrounder" said, above and as John Hinkley above said, practice. Good luck, happy metal butchering!

John

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
27/08/2020 16:04:39

Look around the market near the end of contract for the nxt cheap supplier and dont take phone no. with you. Just pass new no. on to friends and relatives and club membership secretaries with instruction not to publish. Members know to contact the M.S. for info missing from membership list. Only give out new no. where forced to do so, leaving all the commerciial sites to "whistle" with obsolete no. My phone never rings from scammers these days.

Thread: Power Hacksaw
26/08/2020 12:04:30

JA,

I remember a bench mount bandsaw somewhile ago. It looked a smart jobbie but I thought very expensive and why do I want another when I had the floor mount Warco bandsaw, still in use today. Didn't follow it up as 2 seemed extravagant and lack space. Lots of designs on internet, one simple design I'm thinking of making to utilise my large stock of hacksaw blades. Kennedy hacksaws look attractive but they are probably all knackered and need refurb.

AJAX,

What do you mean by "trapdoor" hacksaw? I take it that means reciprocating frame?

John

Thread: Cigarette Papers
11/08/2020 10:39:28

I have used them, lick or wipe in oil on mill to stick them to edge being located but I now use a feeler gauge, metric set if working in metric or Imperial size set if using Imp dimensions, helps avoid conversion errors.

John

Thread: simple tongs
11/07/2020 22:22:00

Celso Ari,

Just watched your youtube on making tongs. Thanks for sharing. I like your design of the joint, might make a set of tongs using your design.

John

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
11/07/2020 22:02:56

The world never stops moving on.

Thread: simple tongs
11/07/2020 21:59:28

Celso Ari,

If you do not understand a word, try the translator and if its still a bit confusing, private message the person who posted it. Never be afraid to ask, one or more of us will try to explain things. Not helpful that there is different slang used in different areas of UK and some things have a different name depending on which part of the country. An English Lake is an Irish Lough or a Scottish Loch. There are many more examples.

Regards,

John

Thread: Amazon Prime scam?
07/07/2020 15:08:12

Every year when my 12month phone contract expires, I scout around for another supplier with a cheap cost. BUT, I wave goodbye to my old number and all the toerag scammers and get new no. from new supplier. Friends and relatives informed and a few organisations. All others told new no. if and when it suits my convenience. Result ; Peace, glorious peace!

Thread: Hand Planer on ebay
02/07/2020 22:26:22

Muscles? That could be why its 4 sale. One needs to stop and think very carefully why something is for sale in other words, what exactly is the real reason? If its a house, has the owner bodged up cracks due to subsidence caused by inadequate foundations where land was previously a tip? I know an example and its not mine, that I've seen change hands many times over the years. Same with cars, old lathes any old dog of an item. Buyer beware! In this case, its likely Duncan is right or it could be an executors clearout. Think I would prefer a small shaper.

Thread: Digital angle gauges
22/06/2020 07:35:31

I obtained a Wixey at an ME exhibition some years ago. Very happy with it. Accuracy good enough for most uses same as digital calipers. For more accurate work, use other methods. Make sure battery is removed or buy good quality one which will last much longer.

John

Thread: Myford motor pulley shake.
22/06/2020 07:25:51

Niko,

My S7 supplied new with an Ali pulley which eventually worked loose and Nottingham replaced it foc with a CI one. Apparently, they were CI then Myfords tried a change to Ali probably to cut costs. They went back to CI and appeared to know all about the problem so there must have been a lot of other complainants.

John

Thread: Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe
16/06/2020 22:09:43

Hi Iain,

Why not use free standing shelving? Similar to Dexion which is no longer made. I have seen adverts for that type where the advertiser boasts about how strong it is and quotes max. weight. Not cheap but do you want to risk being flat packed? Concrete garages have internal strengthening as you found out and I wouldn't have considered drilling it. What about insulating, walls, roof? I think you could suffer serious rusting of machinery and steel stocks. Have a look back on past postings on this.

John

Thread: Covers for SX2P Mill
14/06/2020 16:58:14

Hi,

I got those concertina bellows from Arc years ago. Very good, recommend em.

John

Thread: Generating force to cap beer bottle
13/06/2020 09:33:58

Plain ol' bottle opener is the most important 'spanner' in the toolbox!

Thread: Storage of files
12/06/2020 10:50:42

What a tidy workshop, JasonB.

Keith and others,

When I did 'metalwork' at school, the teacher had a large board on one wall with very narrow shelves. Each shelf had a small slot to take a file. Long, very long, time ago but I think the files were in rows of slots 3 deep, thus accommodating a common size and cut together in a smallish space and protected from knocking together. He further painted the tang of each file a colour related to its cut. Remember white, I think was fine or smooth.Red was, I think for coarse and green?? for 2nd cut. System worked very well. He could also see at a glance if any missing at end of lesson. I have coped the colour codes with mine and with other things like metric taps and dies are red, brass thread yellow, etc Most drills done, except very small ones. Drills and taps painted band just above flutes. Guy Lautard suggested a carousel style of compact storage with a set of 3 round MDF type boards on a common centre post rotating on a baseboard, with slots around the edges.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest