By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
14/01/2021 22:27:05

"USA 1 in 838" Probably whole country average. On BBC news this week, 1 in 5 in Los Angeles! And 60,000 rough sleepers. What is going wrong with one of the supposedly most advanced countries on earth? I don't know of anyone who has or had C-19. Only go out for daily walk, sometimes at night to avoid passersby or if in the day, drop in to a shop for milk and a few other bits, eggs, fruit, fresh veg., catfood stocks.Keep raiding my large freezer for meat, bread, frozen veg. Start car for 15 mins once a week, but have new battery anyway. Workshop getting daily useage.

Thread: Cleaning copper rivets.
13/01/2021 19:22:39

Soft solder will prevent any subsequent silver soldering even if the soft has been filed off. It seems to sink into the surface of the copper. Just forget soft solder for boiler making. I think almost any corrosive liquid will remove oxidation and it need not be so aggressive, white vinegar from supermarkets, citric acid from wine making shops or stronger like patio, brick, toilet cleaner. I would rather use the less aggressive acids which take longer but are much safer to use and easier to dispose of safely.

Thread: Recommended suppliers
12/01/2021 20:31:29

Nick,

Maidstone Engineering have been around for many years but there was a change owners. They used to have a stand at the defunct Brighton Modelworld Exhibition. They should be OK to do business with. Latest national news is that Post Office is in trouble with so many staff of sick that they can't deliver Mail as quickly as usual. "Snail Mail" is a very unkind and generally unjustifiable nickname.

John

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
11/01/2021 20:16:21

Dunno

11/01/2021 19:47:18

What about calling his bluff by making an attempt to purchase it on condition of prior inspection?

Thread: Backyard Iron Casting
11/01/2021 19:03:42

Cover the surface of molten alloys with charcoal to prevent evaporation of the zinc. Scraper to get rid of it just b4 pouring. Lid on crucible. I think there is a least one alternative to charcoal, could be limestone.

HTH

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
11/01/2021 18:26:17

Another naive question,

Has anyone made the police aware?

Doesnt matter if they investigate and advertiser subsequently proved to be genuine, if it's reported in good faith, it's OK.

Thread: ME BEAM ENGINE - Something to Run.
10/01/2021 09:26:27

Wow! How fantastic. Details e.g., old style blueprint drawings in the office and metal stocks in the pigeon hole shelving. I think it's on a par with Pendon Museum.

Thanks for sharing video, Jason.

Thread: Humbrol Enamels
10/01/2021 09:08:37

Do a test first to check following. My Father used white spirit to thin house paint but it spoilt the gloss versions. Could WS have same effect on Humbrol, even if only the gloss types?

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
09/01/2021 13:07:51

Hoorah! Postie just delivered my copy (+"Computeractive" + Dominoes pizza leaflet)

07/01/2021 15:54:31

"No it aint!"

Not today, but maybe tomorrow, same as Smith's? So much for advertising that a benefit of coughing up handfuls of dosh a year in advance is to get it days b4 newagents casual customers. Not even got the excuse of blaming Royal mail being overwhelmed by the Xmas postal rush.

Thread: A finished project - at last!
04/01/2021 22:44:29

Wow! What a lovely model. All the studs poke out of the nuts by the same amount, piping very nicely executed, painting and brightwork excellent. Well done, really worth entry to MEX, if it happens, must be an award winner. Wish my efforts were half as good.

Thread: New scam to beware of
04/12/2020 20:56:10

If you have a number of cards, I suggest only using Sainsburys cr card to buy in Sainsburys, Tesco cr card only to buy in Tescos, M&S cr card to buy in Mark's only.

Keep all till receipts for each company on a separate bulldog or similar Spring clip to await comparison with Statement.

Strict adherence to para. 1 will soon show up, say e.g., Tescos petrol on Sainsburys Statement and draw attention to a dodgy transaction. Amazon items on Tesco Statement?, same thing. Keep say, a Halifafax card for swipe n go at smaller food shops in general or only takeaways and use Nationwide card for smaller food shops other than takeaways. No fraudster is going to know what each card is used for, exclusively.

Dont allow card issuers to "award" you with ridiculously high credit limits. I used an Esso garage in Brighton many years ago, paying witha a card witha very low limit with several items already on it. Got a call from the issuer asking if I had any connection with a certain district of Brighton and have I tried to buy a computer with that card because it busted the credit limit! "No." so card was replaced and Police visited house involved. Bit surprised that they shared so much info with me. I should add that I always pay cards " in full" to quote Martin Lewis.

04/12/2020 20:30:49
Posted by Pete. on 04/12/2020 20:01:35:

Bill, I recently had an attempt to use my card, luckily my bank account is linked to my phone, and if it detects use at a location it assumes I'm not at, it stops the transaction, and sends me a text msg asking me if the transaction was me, a 'no' reply will freeze your account instantly, and a new card will need to be ordered.

While ordering my new card, I asked how someone could have got my card details, she told me it could be possible that an unscrupulous employee at a legitimate business either uses your info, or passes/sells it on as I haven't used my card any sites that could be considered even slightly dodgy.

The person who had my details tried making a fast food delivery from 'deliveroo' or something for less than a tenner, so not a professional fraudster.

"Not a professional fraudster "?? How sure can you be, that transaction could have been a test and if it went through, next one could have cleaned you out.

John

Thread: Delay to Issue 299
03/12/2020 21:31:00

"Dont miss an issue". It's like that other silly slogan by British Rail, "We're getting there".

Daft and some, pathetic company slogans usually come back to bite the directors arses. BR didn't quite get there b4 Maggie sold them off.

I keep a year planner every year with publication dates crossed of when received as I've missed out in the past so everything now closely monitored. Also use it for track days, members BBQ days, traction engine rallies etc in normal times. Have to say got no axe to grind, latest ME,MEW both arrived Wednesday, so like a pig in muck.

Thread: Glasses
03/12/2020 00:15:38
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 02/12/2020 13:33:09:
When the optician gives me my prescription I take it home and insert the details on Glassed Direct platform and a few days later the glasses arrive.

I've never had the nerve to ask the optician for my prescription - do they have to give it to you? Somehow seems slightly unfair when they do the eye test and then you go somewhere else for the glasses, but given the prices they charge for frames, I could get over that reservation.

Rob

Rob,

My experience of some opticians shops, they try to put pressure on to select frames immediately after the eye test but insisted on having my prescription,made excuses and left! Input to Glasses Direct and got 2 pairs for less than 20 quid, using Martin Lewis' blagged code. No pressure recent years so there must have been a lot of complaints.

John

Thread: Travelling in Tiers
02/12/2020 23:37:35
Posted by Bazyle on 02/12/2020 19:33:26:

A cornish publican on Radio Devon has been mentioning getting 'people he didn't recognise' and his pub is buzzing. That's Tier 2 going into Tier 1.
I can't understand people who are so desparate to go for a drink, or to any other non food shops for that matter.

Same intelligence as those who rush out to stockpile bogrolls.

Thread: New scam to beware of
02/12/2020 23:30:54

I usually 'move on' after a contract ends - gas and elec., phone and broadband. One year, went on hunt for new power supplier and one claimed to be much cheaper but compensated by using higher, incorrect useage figures, still coming out marginally lower bottom line. Clever trick! Told him to use my figures which he did. Cut a long story short, after much buggering about he wanted me to go ahead and supply Bank details. I had guessed long before, that it was a scam, so told him I wasnt going to and why. He phoned me on a different no. several times each week with me cutting him off and blocking his no. All finally ended when on last call he apparently used my no. but last digit wrong and I blocked no he used. I am sure you all realise that the hope was I would automatically block my no.!

Dodgy calls in 2019 so bad that I asked for and got phone contractor to change the no. It was OK for a while then it all got bad again. Changed to new supplier and peace at last but it's the only good thing I have to say. Another fly in the ointment they havn't got awful customer service, it's simply non existent in my experience. In my opinion their phone and broadband is the poor relation of their ultimate owners and only want my £18/month. Make most of it, M., contract nearing end, will move on.

02/12/2020 22:53:06

Michael,

Wot do u mean, pantomime is on most of the year - @ Palace of Westminster!

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
30/11/2020 12:50:02

I have in prev. threads described my cheapo heater in mill driptray. Home made 3ply wood box with 4 brass battenholders wired in series with 60W edison bulbs with bayonet fittings.Permanently plugged in but only switched off while using mill. Don't normally forget to activate when locking up workshop for the night. Arranged that cheapo heater shares same plug socket as angel eyes bright light above endmill chuck. So, one out, other in.

Very old 3ft tubular heater in Myford driptray controlled by thermostat via timeswitch often 9pm to 7am or 8.

No heat on Fobco bench drill - not needed, just plastic bag over top and another on table.

Heated lathe covered with flimsy plastic sheet + thick plastic bag over the vfd.

Heated mill table thick plastic bag each end + 1 above y axis slide + 1 below. Enormous, even thicker larger format plastic bag over top of mill.

Workbench also has flimsy plastic sheet, quickly flicked back for work and finish, no heat necessary. 

Heat escapes and makes rest of 10 × 8ft shed gently warm. Max and Min thermometer down end furthest from heaters monitors all..

Shed roof lined with thick polystyrene sheet, door and walls covered in 3plywood and voids stuffed tight with rockwool insulation. Outside, whole shed covered in roofing felt, waterproofing/draughtproofing/insulating.

Winter, temperatures still go up and down like a whores drawers but kept within acceptable bounds for working and very little rust trouble.

Sounds like  lot of aggro with the plastic bags, thick ones held ballast or sand years ago before the aggregate industry adopted much thinner version. I plan work to do as many jobs as possible on one machine, so cuts down on bagshift and setting up time. Set up time is the big time waster.

Edited By DMB on 30/11/2020 12:57:22

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest