By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Club Constitution
10/04/2021 19:17:12

Over the years I have seen a number of clubs consider incorporating. One that I belong to studied the fors and againsts in great depth and decided against.Those in favour put forward the idea of paying a pound and if Joe public sue after an accident, they may get an insurance payout but the club insurers would employ a clever lawyer to get around the scheme. Wind up club to avoid that and they are likely to make the committee, aka directors personally liable and subject to bankruptcy proceedings. Nothing would be gained and incur considerable unnecessary costs complying with company law.Nothing tested in the courts yet and with HMRC intrusion and costs involving accountant and lawyer, that club decided it was best to stay as they are. A large national club is incorporated with all the costs and general aggro, is it worth it?I think not. One local club went Ltd and incurs annual accounting fees of some hundreds of pounds. I belong to two local private ME clubs who get along fine without external intervention and in both cases, all committee members are honorary and stay on the committee for as long as they and the general membership wish. I have no knowledge or experience of charitable status which was also considered but I think that again there would be some considerable unwanted external interferance in the affairs of a club which exists to support the hobby.

Thread: Myford Super 7 spanner sizes
09/04/2021 23:38:27

Tim,

That sounds like another brainless modern idea to save on production costs and bugger the result. Complete trash.

09/04/2021 23:35:24

My S7, new in ?1971?, came with the 2 big double open ended spanners mentioned above and 2 small single open ended spanners, one fits topside locking screws, cant remember what the other was for, maybe banjo locking screws. Still need 2BA to fit Oilers and Allen keys for all the skt hds. L/S Brkts held by 2BA skt hds, e.g. A C - spanner was also in the kit to adjust the mandrel bearing.

Thread: (bicycle) thread identification?
09/04/2021 23:20:45

CEI = Cycle Engineers Institute

Standardisation; humph! Umpteen different systems, all different in one way or another.

BA = 47.5° flank angle and all different pitches but each dia. related to each other by a constant.

Whitworth group, same flank angle 55 °, some constant pitch like ME 32,40,60TPI BSW, BSF, Pitch varies according to diameter and BSW 1/4"D for example doesn't have same Pitch as 1/4"BSF.

Brass is constant 26t Pitch.

Basically, nothing fits anywhere except within it's own system!

I believe that there is only one exception ; 1/4"dia Brass and BSF are interchangeable.

Trying to use a nut from one system to fit a bolt from another is likely to jam up tight.

Thread: "TINKER" tool & cutter grinder
09/04/2021 22:55:11

I was made redundant about 25 years ago (gosh, how time flies!) from Link Miles simulators and it was while I worked for them that I bought currency notes from my bank and posted them to Guy in payment for a full set of drawings and notes. Taking a small risk but it worked and I thought that was the cheapest, easiest method at the time.

Adam Harris who runs Camdenbooks in Somerset, only sold Guys books, not drawings. I have all Guys books and the drawings are not in the books. I also don't recall the drawings in Model Engineer. The books are or were, avail. second hand on Ebay.

I have not quite completed the jig and I have no plans to dispose of the drawings when I have finished making the jig.

Anyone who tries to make one to the drawings, beware. Not saying there is an error but it's got me foxed, the square toolholder appears to have been drawn incorrectly. I cannot be certain. When I restart work on it, that's the last major item to make and I will do it how I think it was intended to be machined, then I'll know for certain! If I'm wrong, I have a work-around, to avoid a scrapper.

Hope to report my findings in due course but it's likely to be sometime as I'm giving priority finishing Harold Hall's MK2 jig, so I can write my notes on it for the Brighton club's newsletter. Lots of other Roundtoits to do as well. Busy retirement!

BTW, not yet found an error in HHs drawings and incredible detail down to steel specs and details of each commercial screws, sizes.

Edited By DMB on 09/04/2021 23:01:39

Edited By DMB on 09/04/2021 23:02:23

09/04/2021 10:44:46

JasonB,

I have all of GLs books and confirm that drawings not in any of them.

Clever design requiring only one pattern to produce 2 identical iron castings, obviously helps keep cost down. They are machined slightly differently to serve their different purposes. The long flat part is machined both sides and slotted the same. The end "lump" is bored the same diameter to accept a PGMS bar common to both bores. Then the variations start.....

One casting acts as a base to be fixed to your baseboard and the other becomes the upright, supporting the toolholder block of square section cast iron.

I acquired the 2 iron castings many years ago from a fellow club member after purchasing the drawings from Guy. I am unable to say why the situation appears to have since changed - you will have to do your own research. Mine has got very near completion but suspended for no other reason than I wanted to also build Harold Hall's jig and write about progress in my clubs newsletter. HH s jig doesn't use castings, only stock metric sizes of steel bar but I have 'got away' with 2" sq instead of 50mm and 1 1/4" sq instead of 32mm Refer to ME No. 4662, for comments on Sources of metric bar.

I see no reason why the castings couldn't be done in Ali at home by someone who has the gear to do so. I understand that there is little difference between CI and Ali, as regards vibration damping but perhaps somebody knows better?

John

Thread: Home Made Rear Toolpost Issue
05/04/2021 20:26:39

I dont possess a tool height gauge. I just set tool by eye, face bar and adjust tool height to remove pip, then lock the adjuster. Jobbie done! Having done each TH, all is set for nxt turning job.

04/04/2021 09:11:35

I have an iron casting and drawing for the GHT design of rear TP. I am thinking how I can mod. the design to incorporate the style of clamp used in my topslide TP as detailed yesterday and add a simple alignment plate on the chuck side, together with 2 long Tee nuts to make them easier to insert into the slots. I would then not need to mill an alignment tenon. Another roundtoit about to be completed so I can write it up in my club's newsletter.

04/04/2021 09:01:06

Small edit to my last posting yesterday re my very nice parting toolholder and blade. I missed a dimensional error of the blade, it should have read 3/32" x 1/2" x 4"

03/04/2021 21:47:49

Chronos "Spare Parting Blade Toolholder Myford Quick Change Toolpost", code SKU MFSP, £19.12incl. vat. Look that up, illustrates what I use in the front with a blade marked HSS 3/32 x 1/1 x 4 M2. It is not marked as being a Chronos tool but is identical. Had this for sometime and cannot remember source. Cannot trace anything like it on any other ME suppliers website, so have to assume it probably was from them.I used it recently to part off 7/8"D washers. Centre height is pre - set, just clamp to toolpost, slacken TP nut, run carriage towards stationary chuck and hold blade against front face of chuck then tighten TP nut. A drop of cutting oil, steady feed at half normal turning speed and swarf crinkles up in corrugation making a noise like frying bacon. No dog ins, cut as square as desired, no problem. Nice stiff blade, no bending resulting in concave and convex surfaces. Superb combo of blade and holder. Just satisfied customer of Chronos, nothing else.

Thread: Quality kit supplies in the UK?
31/03/2021 21:59:28

I have nearly completed Harold Hall's T&C grinding jig to his excellent drawings in his book. I failed to source sensible lengths of all the metric sections required. I ordered plenty to allow for mistakes and thought total cost not too bad. OK if you live close - ish to say, Maccmodels but hopeless trying to get local supplies down here in Brighton. What I obtained was 2" sq and 1 3/8" sq steel bar substitute for 50mm and 32mm in the drawings. Table is 4"sq. 1/4". Just used the Imperial sections and worked to the metric dimensions. Not at all difficult. So far, only one big problem, no metric 3 x 10mm for the Gib Strips part 12. I thought maybe use 1/2" × 3/8", but the difference between the two thicknesses throws out the dovetails and the leadscrews. Thinking of annealing the steel before I mill 3.5mm off each side to prevent it curling up.Otherwise, metric/Imperial dims not been a problem. Also, helpful bits of info like stock sizes and specs. on completely error free drawings. Well done, Harold.

John

Thread: Low head Cap Screws
28/03/2021 21:01:56

Thank you, Jeff.

John

28/03/2021 11:51:42

Nigel,

What do you mean, please? Does grade 8.8, 12.9 refer to tensile strength?

John

Thread: 3" and 4" Wheels
26/03/2021 14:21:44

Jason, I prefer your method rather than that of a fellow club member. He did his by trepanning the discs, but did the rims differently. He obtained thickish steel sections, milled a central slot, rolled the up to spring over the remains of the discs and welded it all together. More than one way of skinning the cat as they say.

John

Thread: Are we being listened to on the phone
26/03/2021 14:04:36

Could have been FBI, GCHQ, Russians or Chinese spies or local police. More likely, scammers/hackers trying to pick up more info b4 raiding your bank a/c. Take very great care over your security. Change passwords frequently to break bad effects of organisations leaks, all too common.

Thread: Tracytools
26/03/2021 13:57:02

I ordered 4 cutters around 16.40 Thursday, arrived this morning, Friday. Expected Saturday, so surprised and delighted. Post Office s matching performance as well. Well done Tracy's and P.O.

Thread: Tea Spoons
24/03/2021 20:57:20

I pull couple of sticks of rhubarb from the garden and boil in water and leave to go cold then drain. Leaves Ali and Stainless saucepans sparkling clean. Ita likely that other fruits will work as I guess its the weak acid that does the job

Thread: Mail Scam
23/03/2021 20:19:04

Positive reviews can be purchased online which of course makes the whole thing meaningless. As they say, there's always one that spoils something for everyone. In this case I have stopped doing reviews.

Thread: Covid 19
23/03/2021 19:48:53

Just a bit of light heartedness in this (currently) miserable world ;

As far as I can see, there is only one tangible benefit to wearing a mask in public, (but for men only), is that they conceal the fact that you haven't bothered to shave for three days!

Thread: Tea Spoons
23/03/2021 19:42:27

CIF is like smokers tooth cleaner but in a liquid. Both aggressively abrasive, so would probably do a good job as cylinder grinding paste. CIF at least, could contain powdered pumice which given the quantities available is probably 'cheap as chips.'

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest