By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: simple tongs
11/07/2020 22:22:00

Celso Ari,

Just watched your youtube on making tongs. Thanks for sharing. I like your design of the joint, might make a set of tongs using your design.

John

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
11/07/2020 22:02:56

The world never stops moving on.

Thread: simple tongs
11/07/2020 21:59:28

Celso Ari,

If you do not understand a word, try the translator and if its still a bit confusing, private message the person who posted it. Never be afraid to ask, one or more of us will try to explain things. Not helpful that there is different slang used in different areas of UK and some things have a different name depending on which part of the country. An English Lake is an Irish Lough or a Scottish Loch. There are many more examples.

Regards,

John

Thread: Amazon Prime scam?
07/07/2020 15:08:12

Every year when my 12month phone contract expires, I scout around for another supplier with a cheap cost. BUT, I wave goodbye to my old number and all the toerag scammers and get new no. from new supplier. Friends and relatives informed and a few organisations. All others told new no. if and when it suits my convenience. Result ; Peace, glorious peace!

Thread: Hand Planer on ebay
02/07/2020 22:26:22

Muscles? That could be why its 4 sale. One needs to stop and think very carefully why something is for sale in other words, what exactly is the real reason? If its a house, has the owner bodged up cracks due to subsidence caused by inadequate foundations where land was previously a tip? I know an example and its not mine, that I've seen change hands many times over the years. Same with cars, old lathes any old dog of an item. Buyer beware! In this case, its likely Duncan is right or it could be an executors clearout. Think I would prefer a small shaper.

Thread: Digital angle gauges
22/06/2020 07:35:31

I obtained a Wixey at an ME exhibition some years ago. Very happy with it. Accuracy good enough for most uses same as digital calipers. For more accurate work, use other methods. Make sure battery is removed or buy good quality one which will last much longer.

John

Thread: Myford motor pulley shake.
22/06/2020 07:25:51

Niko,

My S7 supplied new with an Ali pulley which eventually worked loose and Nottingham replaced it foc with a CI one. Apparently, they were CI then Myfords tried a change to Ali probably to cut costs. They went back to CI and appeared to know all about the problem so there must have been a lot of other complainants.

John

Thread: Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe
16/06/2020 22:09:43

Hi Iain,

Why not use free standing shelving? Similar to Dexion which is no longer made. I have seen adverts for that type where the advertiser boasts about how strong it is and quotes max. weight. Not cheap but do you want to risk being flat packed? Concrete garages have internal strengthening as you found out and I wouldn't have considered drilling it. What about insulating, walls, roof? I think you could suffer serious rusting of machinery and steel stocks. Have a look back on past postings on this.

John

Thread: Covers for SX2P Mill
14/06/2020 16:58:14

Hi,

I got those concertina bellows from Arc years ago. Very good, recommend em.

John

Thread: Generating force to cap beer bottle
13/06/2020 09:33:58

Plain ol' bottle opener is the most important 'spanner' in the toolbox!

Thread: Storage of files
12/06/2020 10:50:42

What a tidy workshop, JasonB.

Keith and others,

When I did 'metalwork' at school, the teacher had a large board on one wall with very narrow shelves. Each shelf had a small slot to take a file. Long, very long, time ago but I think the files were in rows of slots 3 deep, thus accommodating a common size and cut together in a smallish space and protected from knocking together. He further painted the tang of each file a colour related to its cut. Remember white, I think was fine or smooth.Red was, I think for coarse and green?? for 2nd cut. System worked very well. He could also see at a glance if any missing at end of lesson. I have coped the colour codes with mine and with other things like metric taps and dies are red, brass thread yellow, etc Most drills done, except very small ones. Drills and taps painted band just above flutes. Guy Lautard suggested a carousel style of compact storage with a set of 3 round MDF type boards on a common centre post rotating on a baseboard, with slots around the edges.

John

Thread: Yorkshire Steam Wagon Drawings ???
03/06/2020 20:36:41

Hi Darren,

I vaguely remember photos of a Yorks. T shaped boiler being built, ME or EIM, not sure but could have been perhaps 1980 s? Cannot remember if there was a proper build series or just a series of photos with a commentary, I did this, made that like this etc.,etc. Try trawling thro' internet indexes of the mags.

Good luck,

John

Thread: LBSC 3.5" "Maisie"
29/05/2020 10:19:47

bogus,

Thin cork sheet is often used and would probably best suited to your need. ME suppliers sell white fibrous insulation matting special for that purpose but I think min. available is 1/4" but compressible. Could be difficult to deal with on small boiler, have you grown a 3rd hand yet, ha, ha. Cereal packet cardboard usually used for a trial pattern shape. You could possibly have to make up a thin brass ring to finish off "joint" from cleading to smoke box. Hope this is helpful, good luck and come back to forum if need to.

John

Thread: Graham Meek’s Tailstock Dial - MEW279
23/05/2020 10:09:21

Martin,

How about a separate thin knurled piece, when satisfied with result, affix it (superglue?) to the dial? I would do it like that as I wouldn't be very happy having done all the other work then bugger it up.. Have made some dials but not woth any knurling.

John

Thread: Macro rust spots.
21/05/2020 10:23:25

When I took a large collection of stainless to the scrap merchant, first thing he did was apply a permanent magnet to separate the good stuff containing 'no iron' which he paid me for and I had to take away the rest. The rest was attracted by the magnet and contained iron which he said was worthless. The yachting fraternity had trouble with stainless screw failure, due to being always wet in the timber hull and wet with highly corrosive seawater. Screws looked OK outside but rotted away in the wood. Gone back to Bronze screws. Back in the days when LBSC was busy loco building and construction notes, he often referred to using "Rustless" steel. I've often wondered about that and if it was Austenitic non - magnetic type.

Thread: 2" Clayton Wagon
19/05/2020 22:23:19

Hello Jon,

A now deceased Worthing club member who I was pally with, built a steam lorry, fairly certain it was a Clayton. Whe he rallied it at Guildford some years ago, other owners were astonished at its performance. He said the reason was that he considered that it lacked steam reserve, so asked Helen Verrall to build the boiler 1 1/2" taller to have better steam space.

HTH

John

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
11/05/2020 09:18:49

Keep phone in pocket, just in case...........

Thread: Stainless steel fittings on copper boiler
09/05/2020 14:06:42

bogus,

Do not use/reuse brass fittings. As above, zinc dissolves due to electrolytic action, leaving copper in a spongy form, very weak. Failure likely, accident waiting to happen and a danger to you.

Normal to use ME32 and ME40 and Brass thread 26tpi. All3 are whitworth form with 55° flank angle. Do not use Cycle or any UNEF/UNF/UNC as they are all 60° flank angle and incompatible with whitworth form.

Don't use stainless, you dont know composition of the alloy and could fail in a similar fashion to brass. Blocks of zinc are actually used as sacrificial anodes on boats to prevent corrosion damage to fittings. However, dont even think about doing that for a boiler. Just stick to phos. bronze to be sure of being safe. You may see a yellow metal Bush especially large diameter dome bushes and the like. These are gunmetal, not brass. GM is Copper and Tin and is OK for use in boiler construction. Brass screws and union nuts can be used external only, like injectors, pumps and their pipe runs. Dont use steel screws, not even to say secure a dome to its GM Bush.

I have Maisie book somewhere and Model Engineers going back donkeys years so if you need info on subject, I'll see what I can do.

Good luck,

John

Thread: lathe and other modeling equipment
07/05/2020 12:31:36

Hi Angela,

Sorry about your loss.

Was dad a member of a local model engineering club? If so, contact the Secretary, they usually have for sale notices on their clubhouse noticeboards. I would hope that if they've just lost a member they would let you advertise. Did he have friends with a common interest? Someone could advise on values of machines and tools. Could be helpful to say where you are, vaguely, like "London area" or "Manchester district". Dont put address on here. Hope this helps and good luck.

John

Thread: Help needed for screws - Fishing Reel
05/05/2020 18:46:58

Not done it yet,

Sorry about typo, just checked flebay and confirm taps 7/64 x 48tpi still for sale @ $19.90 in Oz.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest