By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DONCASTER SHOW
24/02/2020 11:13:22

"Wrong dates" almost certainly a scam to clear out ur bank a/c. A lot of scams rely on impulsive action by people who fail to take their time, study and think about what they see.

Thread: A Warning
15/02/2020 21:52:39

Harry,

Its :- Dirty

Metal

Basher

John

Edited By DMB on 15/02/2020 21:53:26

Thread: Slideway locking screw bottoms out
15/02/2020 21:36:38

Bill,

I would think that all there is, is a drilled and tapped hole. Why would the maker create a cavity at the bottom and what for? Cannot think of any logical reason for an apparently useless cavity. Suggest you go ahead with making a brass slug and follow it up with the locking handle. Should work OK, at least I hope so. Just seems like an omission during assembly. Good luck, hope all goes well.

John

Thread: Locked out of computer
15/02/2020 21:19:31

A small independent shop may be cheaper to deal with for repairs rather than big business like PC World.

15/02/2020 21:17:19

Mechman and Stuart,

Computer active magazine have had some excellent practical articles on various aspects of DIY building and alterations. They also run a help section. Quite a cheap mag and I think, very good, been taking it for years. Try them.

John

Thread: A Warning
15/02/2020 15:52:45

Harry,

All depends on whether u r still young enough 2 b hormone - driven!

Thread: Fast bit of engineering work.
12/02/2020 23:11:28

Fast work! I had double heart bypass on a Friday afternoon and chucked out following Tues morning, about 3+ years ago. Felt bit groggy but OK and now feeling great.

Thread: High blood pressure !
29/01/2020 19:36:13

Mike Poole,

Yeah! When you see the axe about to swing, you duck!

29/01/2020 19:34:28

Colin Calver,

I was born after 1/4/47 but not heard about entitlement to scan and never offered one. Maybe during umpteen scans on diff. machines 3years ago, if there was an aneurism prob. they would have picked it up then, although they were actually looking for something else, cause of my complaints about chest pains. I told the that if it was indigestion like they said, it would be restricted to the centre not random pains all over the place. Final scan on a diff. machine, they immediately said were keeping you in, bypass next week! Following Fri. afternoon, double bypass, next Tues. morning, come on get dressed you're going home! Anyway, loads of pills to take for life. Now on 3rd station which doesn't give me seriously bad leg muscle aches. Aspirin caused internal bleeding. Ramipril caused apparent drunkenness. As last summer wore on so I felt ever more grotty, tired chest pains diff. to prev. so stopped taking the lot and not looked back. Now have more energy, sleep better, dont stagger about like I used to, chest pain gone away, whoopee! I was left overnight after op. on a meat trolley in the middle of the ward as no beds. All 3 heart op wards bunged out. (Sussex County Hosp. who didn't have a very good rating then) Alls well that ends well as they say and now OK.

John

Thread: Beaten and robbed.
26/01/2020 12:58:49

Dont buy jam jars off fleabay - go to proper 2nd hand car outfit, pay more but safer for variety of reasons, incl. using card payment and get money back if deal goes belly up.

Thread: scam alert
25/01/2020 00:01:22

Well said that man (Nick Farr) As you say, on DD things automatically renew. That sort of emailer is hoping you forget about the DD and create enough panic for you to rush into complying with their request.

Always slow down, never let anyone rush you into any decision.

I dont do surveys anymore. 1) Too many of them taking up my time. 2) Stops dodgy noseyparkers obtaining personal details in an apparently innocent sort of way. This applies with street eyeball surveys where they put on all the charm imaginable to drop your guard and to internet versions.

I dont take any notice of reviews, - 5* ones for sale! Not worth a light. Just use own judgement.

"If in doubt, chuck it out!"

John

25/01/2020 00:01:21

Well said that man (Nick Farr) As you say, on DD things automatically renew. That sort of emailer is hoping you forget about the DD and create enough panic for you to rush into complying with their request.

Always slow down, never let anyone rush you into any decision.

I dont do surveys anymore. 1) Too many of them taking up my time. 2) Stops dodgy noseyparkers obtaining personal details in an apparently innocent sort of way. This applies with street eyeball surveys where they put on all the charm imaginable to drop your guard and to internet versions.

I dont take any notice of reviews, - 5* ones for sale! Not worth a light. Just use own judgement.

"If in doubt, chuck it out!"

John

24/01/2020 14:02:12

Duncan,

I keep the buggers waiting for their money by paying in bits and grabs, aka, monthly Direct Debit. This has the additional advantage of preventing the scumbags succeeding with what they've tried on with you. I appreciate that you may not want TV licencing to get direct access to your bank a/c but all DD users have to sign up to a code of practice making them behave.

In general, attempts to speed up your decision making are done with the aim getting YOU to do what THEY want. This applies just as much to genuine companies who use expressions like, "hurry, sale ends on Sunday", as to the scammers who want you to push go/yes before you've had time to think and study their fake website in close detail. Like Spencer Davis, I keep on running, changing passwords, email a/cs, passcodes and anything else that allows me to ring the changes. So far, so good!

John

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
19/01/2020 20:51:23

Bazyle,

You left out Corah Hotel, in July one year, I think. Sweltering hot, pavements burned feet and xbn held in the "Winter Garden". Not amused, hot house greenhouse affair, nearly fainted with the heat. Think it might have been in the 60s and on going in, on left was that Duke of Edinburgh Trophy winning large (green?) 5"G Atlantic part on its side (?) with long narrow mirror underneath to show off works 'tween the frames.

John

Thread: Where are tool fairs/swap-meets advertised?
15/01/2020 23:40:57

It's all about 'marney' - jus giss us yer marney! Like just about everything else everywhere.

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 10:36:50

My thoughts are unpublishable

Thread: Keyway Broaching
03/01/2020 12:55:34

My old Drummond fb had drive pins on the changewheels.

Thread: Scam ?
27/12/2019 12:24:57

Just like to add that my prev. post is in no way critical of Ian. In fact, a brief glimpse of a large amount of script appears with a piccy of a loco drawing but is very quickly obliterated/superimposed by the Google message. It is the apparent "Google message" and the way that it is smartly covering the other posting, maybe in the hope that the reader will not notice and  human greed takes over to click on a choice of prizes that is the doubtful part to my mind. Looks like, click on a "prize" and you get one, but not what you might expect. Likely to get taken to a fake site and robbed blind.

Edited By DMB on 27/12/2019 12:33:32

Edited By DMB on 27/12/2019 12:35:04

27/12/2019 12:17:30

This one for Neil or one of the other moderators?

Under "042 Locomotive," Ian Childs has replied with a link.

When I click that link, a page appears, headed up as Google saying I am the 7.38 billionth search request and there is a subdued woman's voice saying "congratulations." And a prize, which looks like an invitation to click on, which of course I won't.

Comments, anyone?

Thread: Scam alert
20/12/2019 23:48:20

Further to my previous posting regarding "Loveenergysavings.com."

They are based in Bolton phone no. 01204 866054.

It is entirely possible that is a respectable organisation but the person and outfit that he represents could be something different, especially as he was using various phone numbers with an area code of 0203, whatever that is.My thoughts are that my frequent caller was an imposter claiming to work for L E S. Funny how Martin Lewis mentions a number of comparison sites but not that one. I wonder why?

All dead and buried now and he never got the chance to obtain Bank details from me

As I often say, "if in doubt, chuck it out."

Edited By DMB on 20/12/2019 23:52:01

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest