By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe
30/03/2020 23:04:24

Hi Ronen,

Did you get a manual? If so, consult it. It may well list all wheel configurations for threads and feeds. Assuming change wheels rather than gearbox, use largest wheel available on leadscrew. You need a huge gear reduction to get a very low leadscrew speed and thus, a fine feed. I'm not au fait with Warco lathes but if all else fails, ask makers for help/advice. Have found owner, Roger Warren a pleasant and helpful  chap to deal with.

John

Edited By DMB on 30/03/2020 23:07:38

Edited By DMB on 30/03/2020 23:08:28

Edited By DMB on 30/03/2020 23:09:06

Thread: Coronavirus
30/03/2020 22:51:15

Dont give a bugger how they do it as long as my pensions continue to arrive every month. The greedy lot have already creamed off their 'share' of my money, so one of my remaining bucket list items is to live long enough to draw out in pension a darn sight more than I actually paid in!

Thread: Myford Super 7 tailstock taper turning adjustment
30/03/2020 22:42:37

An old idea I've seen in a book is to put the faceplate on with both head - and tail - stock centres in. Use centres to hold a bar of metal by the hole in it at one end and swivel bar by hand around in front of the faceplate like a clock face and minute hand. Note varying space, if any, between outer end of bar and faceplate. This magnifies any discrepancy. Not tried it on my Myford or the fb Drummond I had previously, just what I saw in a book.

Thread: Pressure
30/03/2020 22:28:57

Only a few weeks ago here in Brighton, my small cheapo barometer showing very low readings every few days and rising a bit in between. One occasion, it went to 945 lowest I've ever seen but dont know how accurate my baro is, at least it gives a sort of ball park idea of what's going on.

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 21:38:54

In my workshop, all the power sockets are on a ring circuit from a main switch in the shed. Lighting is from the same main switch box but arranged as a radial down either side of shed. All individual items are always at least switched off at the plug, but the Newton Tesla vfd for the Myford is unplugged until wanted to use, so as to be sure of protecting expensive kit. Special close up led lighting on mill supplied by dodgy looking wallwart transformer plug also only plugged in when needed to prevent fire. Only heating left switched on, in use 24/7.

If I go out or going to bed, most items in the house switched off at the plug, not left on standby like I understand people do with their TV. Of course, all but the freezer and fridge get the plugs pulled during thunderstorms, including workshop power. Reduces number of burnt out appliances if struck. Too bad about the hardwireds, Insurance claim for them.

What does it matter if UK does house wiring differently to the rest of the world? It works and seems safe enough. Next time you go to France, take a look at their grid pylons, totally diff. design to ours but they work. Just more than one way of skinning the moggy.

Thread: Motor Starters
25/03/2020 09:02:11

Seeing the VFD thread by Steviegtr, I'm reminded of the time when I wanted help wiring a simple starter for my 1PH mill motor. This was small green and red push buttons and a big red mushroom head emergency off button. Yellow top of box, black lower half.

Two options, an expensive one in UK or identical el cheapo model on internet from the east. I went for the latter, with of course, no instructions and I couldn't figure out how to wire it, so appealed for help on here. Several answers including look at instructions supplied with UK version.

I tried both, they were different circuits for apparently the same switch. The UK version wiring diagram didn't work, meaning the Chinese makers had built the innards differently for some reason. The other circuit supplied by another reply works perfectly.

I dont feel it necessary to have VFD on the mill but I have it on the myford. 'Plug n play' type from Newton -Tesla. Highly recommended, trouble free, excellent.

Edited By DMB on 25/03/2020 09:04:53

Thread: Fine Gauze
20/03/2020 19:45:11

Tim, do you mean a piece of figlass thread poked thro' the holes?

20/03/2020 19:43:11

Speedy, well done!, good clear instructions like LBSC. Got any more good loco build tips?

Come on, spill the beans as the great man used to say.

John

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
17/03/2020 15:27:43

Rhubarb doing well in my back garden, if anyone needs help to clear their bog roll stockpile........

Thread: Can anyone help me?!
14/03/2020 21:36:37

Claire,

What sort of saw? Engineers hacksaw, presumably but could be a jewellers, coping or other type? Can you describe it? This applies to all queries; give as much info as possible and/or photo, to boost possible number of responses. I mean this to be helpful, not critical.

John

Edited By DMB on 14/03/2020 21:39:47

Edited By DMB on 14/03/2020 21:41:04

Thread: Tool info
13/03/2020 19:31:43

Bugger me! It actually says, "Made in GB"

Thread: Old model engineer magazines
11/03/2020 16:14:38

OK, you can't just smack bound Vols down on the copier but there are one or two ways around this. Years ago when I was trying to get back issues to see what had gone before, especially with the likes of Duplex, Jim Radford, LBSC etc, I acquired loose copies in complete vols. so I could copy, with the intention of later disposal. Guess what? "later" has still not arrived! The other idea was to use some sort of clamp as a third hand to hold a bound vol. open while I used my tablet to copy the pages of interest. This is very slow but could be useful with club library vols. to save cost of buying and subsequent storage, but not really followed it up. Did experiment at home with the few bound Vols that I have. Most very old vols seem to be bound, suggesting that loosies were dumped.

I would still like to obtain complete vols prior to 1925, if anyone has them and wants to dispose of same. Anyone able/willing to help, please?

John

Thread: Tooling Choices, identification & WM290 Feed Question
02/03/2020 19:31:17

JasonB,

Thank you for your how to post above. Will make a note of it for future use.

John

Thread: Ebay Chancers
01/03/2020 10:21:13

fizzy,

Could, most likely is, a dodgy advert, note mis-selling of Pendle.

John

Thread: DONCASTER SHOW
24/02/2020 11:13:22

"Wrong dates" almost certainly a scam to clear out ur bank a/c. A lot of scams rely on impulsive action by people who fail to take their time, study and think about what they see.

Thread: A Warning
15/02/2020 21:52:39

Harry,

Its :- Dirty

Metal

Basher

John

Edited By DMB on 15/02/2020 21:53:26

Thread: Slideway locking screw bottoms out
15/02/2020 21:36:38

Bill,

I would think that all there is, is a drilled and tapped hole. Why would the maker create a cavity at the bottom and what for? Cannot think of any logical reason for an apparently useless cavity. Suggest you go ahead with making a brass slug and follow it up with the locking handle. Should work OK, at least I hope so. Just seems like an omission during assembly. Good luck, hope all goes well.

John

Thread: Locked out of computer
15/02/2020 21:19:31

A small independent shop may be cheaper to deal with for repairs rather than big business like PC World.

15/02/2020 21:17:19

Mechman and Stuart,

Computer active magazine have had some excellent practical articles on various aspects of DIY building and alterations. They also run a help section. Quite a cheap mag and I think, very good, been taking it for years. Try them.

John

Thread: A Warning
15/02/2020 15:52:45

Harry,

All depends on whether u r still young enough 2 b hormone - driven!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest