By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: London to Brighton Run
12/05/2019 15:58:21

Just got back from admiring the competitors arriving on Brighton seafront. Usual collection of old and not all that old lorries, buses, fire engines, cars, vans etc and 3 steamers. A Foden steam lorry, a Burrell and a Leeds built traction engine intended for the military but 1sr WW ended too soon for it so went to a private buyer. Makes one realise how time is passing by when vehicles in regular daily use when one was younger now shown off as museum pieces! Lovely sunny day, lots of crowds, good time had by all.

Thread: NME&MEX Doncaster
12/05/2019 15:42:18

My first trip to Donny, on Friday and thought it was a very good xbn. Well worth long road flog from Sunny Sussex. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some excellent models,tools, clocks.

John

Thread: Cylinder mounting.
12/05/2019 15:24:51

Andrew,

It seems like I'm not the only one not understanding "Carrot bolts". Come on, spill the beans!

John

Thread: E.stop wiring
09/05/2019 16:49:49

Mike,

I asked the forum for advice on the above, some months ago. One reply gave me Axminsters wiring which did not work. I did not buy mine from Axminster, got it from Hong Kong, identical appearance and eve same part no. Another reply gave me a different circuit which did work and has done ever since. Description follows.

Mains Live in to terminal 1 on emergency button. Live out terminal 2 from button to terminal 13 on stop /start. Live out terminal 14 to motor.

Mains Neutral in to start/ stop terminal23. Terminal 24 out to motor.

Whilst it works, have I got it wired correctly?

John

Thread: Lathe Light
05/05/2019 21:39:26

Dont use that filfy 'B' word!

Thread: EKP
25/04/2019 21:01:09

I ordered on line some BA Steel nuts and Hex. HD. screws of a length not sold by the other suppliers that I checked. The order was on Bank Hol. weekend, Sunday 21st, so no chance to process order until Tuesday morning, 23rd. They arrived mid morning Wedesday 24th. Royal Mail on the ball as well. Well done the pair of you.

Fit of nuts on the screws OK and finish of both very good and I thought they were a good price. Well satisfied.

John

Thread: wheel sets and axleboxes Himalayan and Darjeeling
25/04/2019 19:03:09

Hi Dusty,

I have found a thread on this forum which may help you -

Darjeeling and Himilayan locomotive in 3 1/2 gauge. Note incorrect spelling of Him....

HTH,

John

Edited By DMB on 25/04/2019 19:03:32

25/04/2019 17:46:49

Dusty,

There is a list of errors somewhere on the internet, for SweetPea design and I believe for other designs. Try looking for a list appropriate for your loco.Sorry I can't be of more use. Good luck.

John

Thread: Impressive Workshop in Germany
14/04/2019 21:27:18

Sour grapes? Nah! not really. I just don't need all that stuff to do what I want to do. Another thing, his mastery of English is far better than my German. All in all, he seems a lot cleverer than me and I wish him luck.

14/04/2019 16:08:18

Streuth!

Is he a tool salesman?

Thread: Gear cutting
10/04/2019 22:50:47

www.muffettgears.co.uk

10/04/2019 22:44:15

Way back in the 60's(?) a gear manufacturer by the name of Muffett, Tunbridge Wells, used to regularly advertise in ME. I had some very nice small gears from them in more recent times - very satisfied customer.

Thread: Changing Broadband
10/04/2019 22:17:20

A club I belong to, have had no end of trouble trying to change things after AGMs and new committee members.

The bank wouldn't change to the new Treasurers name and address even though it was all done and signed for by the old and new Treasurers on their form. Then the employee very reluctantly agreed to put the form in their internal post. The were still addressing statements cheque and paying in books to a long deceased previous Treasurer, in his name but to the new address of the (female) new Treasurer 8 years later! They have now got it all correct at long last.

BT would not supply a phone service unless it was in the name of the Treasurer who they held liable for payment and ever escalating charges like all organisations, so we disposed of them and now use a pay as u go mobile in the clubhouse for emergency communications.

It just doesn't seem to register that customers will only put up with so much before they look around for cheaper/better alternatives.

Thread: Drill too high? Use a milling machine stand!
10/04/2019 21:46:17

Alistair,

Wow, what a very nice job you have made of the subject but the background electricals also look very good.

Hang head in shame! I fixed power sockets to my shed walls, fed by a cable strung around the walls at the same height as the sockets. Lighting circuits even more Heath Robinson but they have worked OK for years.

John

Thread: Just desserts
10/04/2019 21:09:45

Curious this, "desert" as in arid wasteland the " s" is pronounced like it's a "z" but so is the other word with 2 "s" s, as in "just desserts".

Usually, a double letter is the soft version, like the double f in Ffestiniog. The single letter is normally pronounced in a hard/ harsh sort of way, but my first example appears to break the 'rule', hence I said its curious.

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
01/04/2019 14:26:53

The SMEE manages to supply printable copies of their Journal back numbers.........

Thread: Castings
09/03/2019 21:12:54

About 40 years ago, I had some iron castings made at Haven Foundry in Newhaven, Sussex. They have long since gone. Whilst there, I saw a lot of professionally made patterns painted in red and yellow. Yellow was about the shade of primrose flowers and the "red" looked a sort of orange-ish shade. Nothing like as dark as in the picture above.

John

Thread: Machining cork!
04/03/2019 20:07:33

Cant help with making corks to size,but if and when you succeed, a light smear of vaseline will waterproof the cork.

Thread: Model trains stolen - Kent
17/02/2019 15:37:25

Police are undermanned and being swamped with rising levels of crimes. No alternative but prioritise investigation of serious crime and issue an incident no. for low level stuff where victim needs to make insurance claim. The blame lies with MPs and their depts who have created funding cuts in every sphere including law and order.

It's a case of everyone look out for themselves. Review security and increase it.

Safeguard it or lose it.

John

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
16/02/2019 22:20:19

If someone phones you, emails, texts, dodgy letterbox mail, door knockers, they want something from you, your money, loads of it!

A very tempting offer? Just think, "what's in it for me v. what's in it for them?"

Just turn the lot away and go direct to the company of interest to you. Careful use of Google or others should get you to the genuine website of that company and not a spoofed one.

Certainly don't click links in emails. The scum are getting craftier, so look and think before you open an email; doing so could automatically load malware.

You have to be in it to win it, so if you haven't taken part in some strange named lottery, how on earth could you possibly be a winner? I have personally known an acquaintance who fell for that one. I also knew of someone renewing their annual Kaspersky subs where a screen popped up claiming to be part of K in Australia, giving instructions to send the money there. That mistake cost the victim £150.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Allendale May 19
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest