By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling Problems
17/07/2019 23:45:52

I have several new iron castings to take to next club wrinklies day, when we have a BBQ.

17/07/2019 23:43:30

I have in the past, used angle grinder to put small 45° angle cut along the edge to be 'hit' first by a carbide single point tool, to break thro the skin. It worked OK.

I wouldn't use a shell mill on such a flimsy set up as Rodney/Myford. No substitute for a proper mill and as hefty a type as possible.

Suggest you join a club with a decent workshop and if needed, a fellow member will advise / teach use of a big mill.

As said above, cook it in the ashes of a hot BBQ. Or solid fuel stove. Leave overnight to cool slowly, buried in hot ash.

Thread: moore and wright internal micrometer
17/07/2019 23:30:14

Google for M&W manual - its in 5 languages incl English by owners of M&W

Edited By DMB on 17/07/2019 23:30:49

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
17/07/2019 15:37:44

Consider from a slightly different angle; many species are tottering on the point of extinction. Humans are reverse of that, the current number of over 7 billion of us is, I think, ridiculously unsustainable in the long term. The rate of increase in numbers, soon to exceed 8 billion, is also way beyond sustainability. 

Edited By DMB on 17/07/2019 15:54:50

Thread: Advice please
01/07/2019 15:28:08

If you win small claims/county court and still no payment you can up it to the high court who send bailiffs round to demand entry to property and make inventory of possessions to remove for auction and debt recovery including clamping owners vehicles. All this as last resort if debtor really cannot /will not pay.

Good luck in resolving problem and next time pay by cr card so you can pass the buck to the card issuer.

John

Edited By DMB on 01/07/2019 15:29:10

Thread: What are you using for Lathe Way Oil?
02/06/2019 18:02:20

"Guy Lautards Gunk" - made up of 3 diff oils in diff proportions. Seems to work OK. One is STP or equivalent to make it stick in place another graphite, molyslip to fill any minute gaps with graphite particles and third, EP oil. It's in one of his excellent books.

(He also had another concoction to aid drilling which I have found to be very good.)

Thread: Brede Pumping Station
30/05/2019 21:41:33

Well worth a visit even though only running on compressed air supplied by very noisy diesel pumps usually used to drive pneumatic drills to dig up roads. It's a little inland, North of Hastings.

Beekeeper Clive Hartland could be interested in this; I have a photo of the front of the building which has a dark patch near the top. When picky is enlarged, it looks like an enormous bees nest under the eaves. There is another much smaller lump next to it, this one is black and white stripes like a giant humbug - wasps nest? Date on pic is 2nd Sept. 2017.

I cannot work out how to copy the pic from my mob to here, on my tablet or I would include it.

John

Thread: Electrics for a battery locomotive
19/05/2019 20:39:46

Based on what I have seen go wrong recently,

1 Dont copy road vehicles with their chassis earth return.

2 Keep wiring runs neatly tied up with cable ties and well away from moving parts like wheel flanges.

3 Always have main fuse or isolator.

4 Consider keeping an on board battery nut spanner

5 Watch out for horns, some are 2 wire, OK, but some are 1 wire, NOT OK, since this type relies on a chassis return.

6 Make sure control board is not directly beneath a roof top ventilator fan mesh, because when it rains...........

Good luck, hope it all pans out successfully.

John

Thread: London to Brighton Run
12/05/2019 15:58:21

Just got back from admiring the competitors arriving on Brighton seafront. Usual collection of old and not all that old lorries, buses, fire engines, cars, vans etc and 3 steamers. A Foden steam lorry, a Burrell and a Leeds built traction engine intended for the military but 1sr WW ended too soon for it so went to a private buyer. Makes one realise how time is passing by when vehicles in regular daily use when one was younger now shown off as museum pieces! Lovely sunny day, lots of crowds, good time had by all.

Thread: NME&MEX Doncaster
12/05/2019 15:42:18

My first trip to Donny, on Friday and thought it was a very good xbn. Well worth long road flog from Sunny Sussex. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some excellent models,tools, clocks.

John

Thread: Cylinder mounting.
12/05/2019 15:24:51

Andrew,

It seems like I'm not the only one not understanding "Carrot bolts". Come on, spill the beans!

John

Thread: E.stop wiring
09/05/2019 16:49:49

Mike,

I asked the forum for advice on the above, some months ago. One reply gave me Axminsters wiring which did not work. I did not buy mine from Axminster, got it from Hong Kong, identical appearance and eve same part no. Another reply gave me a different circuit which did work and has done ever since. Description follows.

Mains Live in to terminal 1 on emergency button. Live out terminal 2 from button to terminal 13 on stop /start. Live out terminal 14 to motor.

Mains Neutral in to start/ stop terminal23. Terminal 24 out to motor.

Whilst it works, have I got it wired correctly?

John

Thread: Lathe Light
05/05/2019 21:39:26

Dont use that filfy 'B' word!

Thread: EKP
25/04/2019 21:01:09

I ordered on line some BA Steel nuts and Hex. HD. screws of a length not sold by the other suppliers that I checked. The order was on Bank Hol. weekend, Sunday 21st, so no chance to process order until Tuesday morning, 23rd. They arrived mid morning Wedesday 24th. Royal Mail on the ball as well. Well done the pair of you.

Fit of nuts on the screws OK and finish of both very good and I thought they were a good price. Well satisfied.

John

Thread: wheel sets and axleboxes Himalayan and Darjeeling
25/04/2019 19:03:09

Hi Dusty,

I have found a thread on this forum which may help you -

Darjeeling and Himilayan locomotive in 3 1/2 gauge. Note incorrect spelling of Him....

HTH,

John

Edited By DMB on 25/04/2019 19:03:32

25/04/2019 17:46:49

Dusty,

There is a list of errors somewhere on the internet, for SweetPea design and I believe for other designs. Try looking for a list appropriate for your loco.Sorry I can't be of more use. Good luck.

John

Thread: Impressive Workshop in Germany
14/04/2019 21:27:18

Sour grapes? Nah! not really. I just don't need all that stuff to do what I want to do. Another thing, his mastery of English is far better than my German. All in all, he seems a lot cleverer than me and I wish him luck.

14/04/2019 16:08:18

Streuth!

Is he a tool salesman?

Thread: Gear cutting
10/04/2019 22:50:47

www.muffettgears.co.uk

10/04/2019 22:44:15

Way back in the 60's(?) a gear manufacturer by the name of Muffett, Tunbridge Wells, used to regularly advertise in ME. I had some very nice small gears from them in more recent times - very satisfied customer.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest