By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Watford

Here is a list of all the postings Watford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Silver booty
20/12/2016 19:27:01

try 2401

mike

Thread: Apparantly I'm a spammer!
01/11/2016 21:14:14

There's a bit of a ring here.

Thread: Air casters
30/10/2016 19:24:58

Circlip, I think your solution would not be an option. John wants his wife to be able easily to move the printing press away from the wall on occasions when she needs to use it. A pallet truck perhaps would not be acceptable in her workplace/studio.

To make a positive suggestion how about half a dozen or eight steel plates fixed (glued?) on the base, each with an escape hole(s) below and a piped entry on the side. All six to be connected together and fed from a remote compressor. Fairly easy to achieve but may still be too expensive.

I believe that expense was among Sir Christopher Cockerell's problems

Watford

Edited By Watford on 30/10/2016 19:26:27

Thread: Precision layout & machining?
22/10/2016 15:28:29

Dianne,

If you are really going for gold then may I suggest "Accurate Tool Work" by C.L. Goodrich & F.A. Stanley.

Original copyright by Hill publishing Company 1908, and reprinted 1988 by Lindsay Publications Inc

Old it may be, but for layout it does tell the whole story. An interesting read for anyone interested in engineering.

Enjoy

Mike

Thread: updating profile email address
05/10/2016 15:22:26

You're 'avin a larf! This gets more complicated by the moment.

My saved log ins are in the wood shed.

Whatever next???

Mike

04/10/2016 20:00:08

I am suffering exactly the same problem as Jason. I was forced to change my provider after the demise of Demon email, and advised the IT lady accordingly. It now seems that the details have been changed as I get communications like the MEW advisory on Monday. However I am unable to log on to this forum to post without going through the rigmarole of typing in new address and then requesting new password.

Mystic Meg - if it be she - mentioned that I would have difficulty like this, when she responded to my original email.

Perhaps the matter could be taken a little more seriously by those who know about these things.

Mike.

Thread: Catering at shows
27/09/2016 19:04:25

After past experience of Brooklands catering I was sceptical of the prospects at MEX. In the event we had very good cottage pie served on a warm plate, and found a table at which to eat it. Well done Neil and associates, and I take back what I said.

Mike

Thread: MEX Photos for those that stayed home
18/09/2016 18:45:00

Would it be possible to have a listing of the awards winners please?

Mike

Thread: Its a what ???????
27/08/2016 19:48:56

That's a clever bit of moderating

mike

Thread: Setting Up a Workshop Special
12/08/2016 10:44:08

'Taming of the Screw' ??

Mike

11/08/2016 21:20:29

Then there is that book on coil spring manufacture called 'Gone with the Wind'.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 11/08/2016 21:21:06

Thread: Polishing Brass - or where to get P5000 paper
30/07/2016 13:09:29

Good old fashioned newspaper (newsprint) works pretty well. Just a drop of Brasso for lubricant.

Mike

Thread: GUY MARTIN
29/03/2016 21:15:01

Apart from the mechanicals, about which there seems some debate, Guy Martin was pretty good too.

Brave but mad !

Mike

Thread: Grinding wheel ..balancing hole?
27/03/2016 19:46:38

Thanks Ian

27/03/2016 19:23:17

I still think there is evidence of a former life and that this makes this wheel a very suspect object. See 32 - 12 and some other characters less distinct on a lower label.

Could it be that Chronos are selling New Old stock I wonder?

In passing - I could not find any reference to this type of wheel on their site but this may be that I looked in the wrong place.

Mike

grinding wheel2.jpg

23/03/2016 21:23:44

The labels on both sides of the wheel show signs of deterioration/staining, does this denote age?
It is strange that the peeeling back is adjacent to the holes.
Holes of the size shown would seriously effect the balance, so either it was balanced by unusual means OR is out of balance now because of the holes.
Manipulation of the image showing the data label shows that the label/blotter has been placed over an old label still partly stuck to the wheel.
Best practice says that this should have been removed.
The readable characters on this lower label are clearly " xxxx 32-12.x ".
This additional label seem to indicate that the wheel is second-hand.
The wheel came from Chronos.
Whilst Chronos claim that the wheel is servicable could it be that a wrong item was picked at the time of dispatch?
In the light of all the publicity that has been given I would think that Chronos would like to have it back in their possession prior to a possible accident.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 23/03/2016 21:25:25

Thread: Useless light bulbs.
28/02/2016 15:59:20
Posted by Michael Walters on 28/02/2016 15:41:39:

How is it that we've come here? I miss the old fashioned light bulbs. Just dont make'em like they used to!

Michael W

Possibly, Michael, because the EU said no more 'old fashioned' light bulbs???

Mike

Thread: OT Analogue tachographs (Kienzle?)
22/01/2016 11:36:09
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 22/01/2016 09:01:52:

MOT - what would the tester say if the mechanical speedo read 30 Mph and the Tacho 40 Mph ??

He would probably say that you have a seriously bad case of clutch slip.

Mike

Thread: Internal Combustion Engine Supercharger
29/11/2015 19:30:32

Martyn

Have a look at www.austinsevenfriends.com and go to the Forum. There is a pretty good index and you will probably find some helpful information there. Several guys have been down this path previously. Also, if you are an Austin Seven buff then you should probably be aware of this very friendly domain in any case.

Mike

Thread: Gone but not forgotten
19/11/2015 17:52:53

Not actually on a wall, but going back to my youth the sign on the back of Smith's Crisps delivery vans used to confuse me. It read "We wish to extend our courtesy to the road. Please sound your horn." It meant of course that it drew the drivers attention to the fact that you were behind and might wish to overtake. (Mirrors were not what they are today!) I always thought the van would stop and sell you a bag of crisps.

Mike.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest