By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Watford

Here is a list of all the postings Watford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Merry Christmas
25/12/2018 07:01:06

An absolutely splendid Christmas to one and all.smiley

Mike

Thread: Best way to turn long, thin brass job
21/12/2018 18:09:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-TkuQDWdbA

If you can get to the above it might just be helpful.

M

Edited By Watford on 21/12/2018 18:17:05

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
21/12/2018 12:32:18

Drone(s) not shot down because of the risk of a stray bullet, we learn. Who ever does these 'risk assessments' and then allows armed police with (presumably loaded) weapons to roam around the very crowded concourse just a few hundred yards away?

Mike

20/12/2018 15:11:44

Whoever it is has shown that it is possible to get away with it. Where to next? Westminster, with a load of Salisbury juice?

Mike

Thread: Unnecessary waste of paper
28/11/2018 14:46:38

Not just the banks. Just renewed my car insurance. Two large envelopes received, one to invite renewal, and the second to send the insurance certificate. Counting the total sheaf of papers that this involved I found that they had sent thirty-nine sheets of A4.

My input was a solitary bank transfer. question

Mike

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
20/11/2018 14:49:20
Posted by Robin on 20/11/2018 14:32:05:

I'm not sure I want to tell, because you lot might tell me it isn't what I bought it as and burst my bubble. I really enjoy owning the rifling cutter for a Lewis gun indecision

Would that be the Lewis of Morse fame I wonder? note

Thread: DIY Epoxy Frame based CNC MILL
18/11/2018 10:54:14

Absolutely and completely fascinating.

Thanks for all the effort.

Mike

Thread: Nickel plating
13/11/2018 22:35:04

Try Frost....................

https://www.frost.co.uk/paints-coating-plating/automotive-electroplating/electroplating-kits.html

Go to Plating Kits 

Heard good results from vintage motorcycle restorer.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 13/11/2018 22:36:43

Thread: A New Golden Age of Model Engineering Exhibitions
22/10/2018 22:37:20
Posted by Mike Poole on 22/10/2018 13:09:08:

Is a show for model engineering too much of a niche these days? Are the shows for Model Railways, Model Boats, Model Aircraft, Maker Shows etc. all in a similar predicament of falling attendance from punters, suppliers and exhibitors? It is apparent from the threads on this forum that many of the model engineers actually have wide ranging interests so maybe a bigger show with a wider range of interests represented might solve everybody’s problem. Punters would have plenty to look at, suppliers could use their budget on a big show instead of multiple small ones or none at all.

Mike Poole makes perhaps a very valid point in his long appreciation of the situation. May be the diversification of modelling titles has led also to the diversification of shows.

I went (was taken !) to my first Model Engineer Exhibition immediately after the war, in 1946, at the tender age of ten. Things were then very much as Mike has posited. Pretty much all branches of modelling were represented, and whilst the level of my pocket money precluded much more than a tube of balsa cement there were many trade stands. In the following years the show spread to both Horticultural Halls and you got a pass out to cross the road to yet more exhibits. I was a regular attender until the Queen insisted that I go and play with her other troops for a couple of years. Later, at Seymour Hall, we even had the benefit of a splendid swimming pool for the boats, though a portable pool was usually set up elsewhere. Usually there was live steam along one side of the hall at most of the venues. Model Aircraft were not left out with a cage for control line flying, and RTP cars used the same area. There were many aircraft models on display, and associated trade. The clock-makers were there in force.

Enough of this nostalgia !!!   And I have only got to about 1976. But I just wanted to emphasise Mike's point. regarding the many branches of our hobby vis-a-vis the half dozen or so My Time Media modelling titles. Perhaps by bringing some or all of these together in a good suitable venue the rot could be arrested.

This would no doubt require some sanction from a high level but I believe that Mr Owen Davies to be a very reasonable guy and might very well see that this could be a useful venture. Perhaps the various title editors should talk to one another on the subject and ask for a meeting.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 22/10/2018 22:39:47

Edited By Watford on 22/10/2018 22:40:38

Thread: Fruit pickle......
29/09/2018 19:23:35

Having purchased some brick cleaner, as mentioned in previous posts, it worked well. However a word of warning I had it in an open tray, and without giving it a thought left it on the bench for a couple of weeks. Imagine my horror to discover that many nearby items, including my apprentice scribing block, had all been attacked by the fumes. Fairly serious de-rusting and clean up job was the result. A cautionary tale perhaps.

Mike

Thread: Doncaster show
28/08/2018 19:51:57
Posted by Mike Poole on 28/08/2018 17:02:08:

Does anyone know if a date has been confirmed for the 2019 show?

Mike

Leaving a line .............

That would be the next ME/MEW show would it?

Mike 2.

Thread: Songs for the Workshop
26/07/2018 19:29:10

Also from G&C., from the Mikado.... " Now here's a how-de-do " . Probably to be sung after a major parting-off dig-in.

25/07/2018 22:44:42

From Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance - " I am the very MODEL of a modern Major General "

Thread: Am I getting an irritable old git?
03/07/2018 19:38:45
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/07/2018 18:43:32:

The thing I dislike most about growing old is the sense I'm losing position in society. The value of what I know and did in the past is eroding. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with ideas that don't interest me. I'm starting to see anything that challenges my personal world experience as a threat. I think this sense of decay is why some older chaps become authoritarian, irritably convinced that all change is bad, youth incompetent, standards dropping, and everything was better in the good old days. It's self-destructive because young people do value elder experiences provided they aren't rammed down their throats by silly old duffers. We seniors have to recognise that some of our best-practice may be inappropriate because of changes since our time. But if what you know is useful or interesting, they listen.

Dave

I know that it becomes progressively more difficult to be a grandfather of 82 years. Particularly when one comes from an age of capstan lathes in the factories, steam engines on the main line, direct current coming out of the wall, petrol-engineed cars with points and a condenser, busses with a platform on the back, being able to purchase ether at the chemist (to make diesel fuel) at age twelve without any questions, and 'proper' apprenticeships.

Oh! I nearly forgot. Two years National Service. In hind sight....quite splendid.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 03/07/2018 19:39:48

Thread: Lost and Found
20/06/2018 11:53:24

Then there was the old bicycle thing. Park cycle outside the model shop with pedal on the kerb, gaze in wonder at something in the shop window, turn and get back on bike - not your bike!!!. Whoops.

Now a-days the youngsters just drop their bikes on the pavement - bad for bike and bad for the elderly on foot.

Mike

Thread: What is this for? Mystery object
15/05/2018 10:21:49

Is it the part of a cash register which rings the bell when the drawer pops out?

M.

Thread: EDGWICK 20" SHAPER
12/05/2018 20:21:16
Posted by David George 1 on 12/05/2018 17:12:23:

Nice to see it working again it brings back memories of my apprenticeship.

David

+1 for that sentiment! Sad that there are none coming on behind.

Mike

Thread: Department of Work and Pensions
19/04/2018 19:26:45
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 19/04/2018 19:05:10:

If you save it carefully for two months you might be able to treat yourself to a cup of coffee whilst out shopping.

Enjoy.

Brian, Do remember to recycle the cup.  cake

Mike

Edited By Watford on 19/04/2018 19:28:45

Edited By Watford on 19/04/2018 19:29:35

Thread: Machine painting
08/04/2018 18:28:31

With signwriting like that you should be able to depose Foggy Dewhurst in Last of the Summer Wine.disgust

Mike

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
31/03/2018 21:44:51
Posted by duncan webster on 31/03/2018 16:07:05:

................ I got an offer I couldn't refuse and then did another 8 years as a contractor doing the interesting stuff, none of the modern management gibberish, just proper engineering.

Work is supposed to be horrible - if it isn't horrid then it isn't work idea

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest