By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for old Al

Here is a list of all the postings old Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: sales spiel
16/12/2016 10:52:33

my one, is where something is described as 'rare'. This just means, dont buy it, you wont find anything else to fit it.

The other one is where photos are upside down. That means, im trying to hide something thats can be seen in a regular photo and lazy people wont bother to examine too closely.

Its still fun to look and enjoy others attempts at adding that extra bit of sparkle to something that would be skipped before the site started. buyer beware. anybody want to buy a car. rust free, im only charging for the good bits!

Thread: Cheap 3 in 1 tig welder - any one used one?
08/12/2016 13:25:10

If you want a TIG outfit, spend a little more and get one with an impulse start. Scratch start ones are not good. TIG is an art, but, with a bit (lot) of practice, you can get some really good results. Give 'Welders Warehouse' a ring.(on the internet somewhere). they have been very helfull to me.

I junked my mig for doing welding on models and the other thing i did was junk the non refillable gas bottles.Check the availability of gas in your area.

Cant do without my tig now.

Best of luck

Thread: Noisy WM250V Lathe
14/11/2016 11:42:53

Yes a recording of the noise would be useful. Our machines are capable of a full symphony of noises

Thread: Purchasing a Milling machine
14/11/2016 11:38:24

Im not a fan of Chinese tooling. I curently have a Brigeport mill-short table, a Colchester student lathe and 2 Myford 7 lathes.

I started with a Warco minor mill and a myford. The mill did its job and the support i had from Warco was second to none and i didnt even buy it from them, i got it second hand. The mill got me going, it earnt me a few bob and fitted size wise well in my workshop. At the time of my model engineering career, i was very pleased with it.

The worst you can do is buy a machine that is too small for what you need, the second worst is buying a machine that is far to big for your needs and filling your valuble space with something that 'will come in handy one day'

Thread: What's the best place to buy and sell lathes and millers.
11/11/2016 10:15:32

Rotating photos................

I have a policy, that anything that needs rotating is hiding something and therefore not worth looking at in the first place.

It is generally motorbikes on EBAY i look at, but its simple basic good avertising, or am i just old fashion or just too lazy to do it for myself.

Thread: 4 jaw chuck jaw numbering
24/10/2016 20:28:43

Now, just think. If a 4 jaw chuck was invented today, every jaw would have to be a different colour. wouldnt that make life easier

24/10/2016 14:14:09

most 4 jaw chucks have a manufacturers label on the face of the chuck.

Use the jaws adjacent to the label if you are doing repetition type work. Maybe mark the bit of work with felt tip to coincide with the label, if it has to go back after another operation.

Yes you wear two jaws out quicker than the other two. And in my life time, i dont think i will notice.

Thread: morse taper
17/10/2016 11:05:24

Why cant you bore the hole

Thread: Catalogues
15/10/2016 14:31:51

I cant believe the amount of people that actually purchase catalogues. If a company has something to sell me, they have to tell me they can supply it.

If model engineers stopped buying catalogues, firms would have to start giving them away again. The suppliers i use give me cataloges whist others buy them.

Imagine if tool suppliers charged for catalogues or even Tesco.

If i dont know a firm sell it and another does, who gets my business?

Thread: Stuck chuck
20/06/2016 11:01:35

Go find all of your 4 jaw jobs and do them first. getting the machine warm in the process, might take 3-4 hours of doing stuff. Then try and undo the thread. Dont do it the quick way and put a blowlanp on it.

Thread: Matching numbers on chuck jaws
18/06/2016 15:41:56

the inside jaws will have one number on them and the outside jaws will have another number on them. What you have sounds correct

Thread: steam regulations
15/05/2016 20:18:28

some boiler examiners think they are God.

They have an important job to do, but some just want to make their own rules cos they dont understand what is already written.. glad our last one left !

From how i see it, a new boiler going for its first shell test should have all holes simply plugged, ie no fittings on it including blow down valves

Thread: Copper 145
11/04/2016 09:32:11

Whats wrong with really sharp tools, worked in industry years ago

Thread: Grinding wheel ..balancing hole?
23/03/2016 11:37:18

Oooh, that looks scary. Thanks for sharing the info and photos.

Take the wheel to a proper engineering shop and see what their response is. Im with all of the above. You only need to see one burst to understand.

Thread: Boiler tests comercial or club
23/02/2016 08:52:14

Joining a club also opens up a huge volume of free information and fault finding knowledge. We have people without cars and they get welcomed into our club and get ferried around to all sorts of places.

£20 for membership, free boiler tests and help when it fails-------------------------bargain

Thread: Chilled cast iron piston casting
05/02/2016 09:46:20

Send it back

Thread: Myford rear toolpost
13/12/2015 12:51:31

Why send anything back. Their is no manufacturing fault in either the toolpost or the parting tool. It is the bringing together of the two parts that has created the problem. Engineering is all about bringing bit together.

If you were in the South east, i would happily bung the toolpost, or parting tool holder on my mill and do the job for you. Im sure you would find someone at you local model club equally ameanable to do a quick job for you. We are a friendly bunch really.

Thread: Extending thread on stainless steel bolts
07/12/2015 08:51:30

Im with Peter Neil.

The threads would have work hardened when they were made and running a die down them again will blunt dies quicker than anything, even with the best of fluids.

Sounds like a good earner, but their will be tears.

Thread: Myford
04/11/2015 10:47:08

Martin

You disengage the screw thread indicator to save wear. The same reason to disengage the gearbox when not in use.

Screwcutting can be very frustrating and great fun. But i would suggest getting someone to show you how its done first. reading books make it look so difficult.

Thread: Ransomes,Sims & Jefferies light steam tractor - 2" scale
27/07/2015 10:31:21

Hi

Just seen Jim c posts

I fabricated my crankshaft, its a bit of a lump.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest