By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Bell

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Bell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: garden tractor wheel lug nuts and studs
02/06/2020 08:55:53

Seen lots of instances like that where the stud winds out of the hub over the years and eventually becomes very "slack" in the hub.

Normal repair I've seen is a tack of weld on the stud to hub where the stud protrudes through the back of the hub or its peened over.

Often found that the fit of the stud in hub is too loose to be effective for loctite.

Peter

Edited By Peter Bell on 02/06/2020 09:10:32

Thread: Measuring wear on a surface grinder
24/04/2020 09:23:51

I got a wartime Norton grinder (18" x 6" at the right price which by appearance I expected to be compleley worn out but it turned out the ways are lubricated by the hydraulic pump and were perfect.

I found the spindle had excessing play using a DTI which I corrected.

After that it was a case of measuring a ground piece and seeing the surface finish--whole new world of leaning for me!

Certainly looks decent, sure you will find it a very useful tool

Peter

Thread: Fusion 360 CAM cost?
24/04/2020 09:09:03

My son has been some of his recent enforced spare time to continue the refurbishment of his Bridgeport mill. This has gone well and he has moved onto cad using Fusion 360 as a hobby user and made good progress after watching some of the excellent tutorials.

When he was attempting CAM to generate G code he got a message saying he would be charged for this service starting May.

Is this normal?

As a lot of others on the forum use 360 I wondered what else they use to generate G code? He has a licecensed copy Mach 3 he intends using.

Peter

Thread: Ebay screen
02/04/2020 08:00:18

Yes that was the link which proved troublesome. The ebay screen (and others) had been like that for a few days but when I originally clicked the link it reminded me to post asking for advice. Another thing was I could not add the pic at the time of the original post but I could after I'd used CC cleaner so can only conclude I'd picked up something.

The link works fine for me now, tried "restart with add ons disabled" but it didnt cure the original problem, tried it again now and everything still works the same.

Fingers crossed, its solved!

Peter

01/04/2020 09:47:57

Thanks for the advice.

Tried as suggested also various other fixes but no improvement. Noticed the the ebay prices sometimes appeared as $.

Ran CC Cleaner which found loads of trackers in spite of having tracking off in firefox and now seems to work fine!

I can also now add the pic which I couldnt do yesterday. Hopefully thats it.

Peter

screenshot_2020-03-31 hollow bronze sae660 bar various sizes and lengths ebay.jpg

31/03/2020 08:32:48

Hi,

When I go into ebay by following a link or just from the ebay home page my screen goes strange with over lapping text.

I uploaded a screenshot (jpg) to my album but I cannot add the pic to this posting although the ok button turns green when I select the pic from the album?

I assume I've done something wrong but cannot seem to find the setting to correct it---is it a browser problem---I'm on Firefox--can anyone guide me how to get back to normal?

Thanks Peter

Thread: Inverter failure guidance
28/03/2020 20:56:36

Hi Jim,

Not sure about your drive but I've got an ABB ACH-550 (15kw) which has a backup battery in the display . Dont know where the start parameters are stored but its an easy job to replace the battery and it may just be the answer.

Peter

Thread: 7 pin connector 240v?
27/03/2020 13:43:28

Yes decided that the "aviation" are a no go.

Looked at the Han option earlier but not familiar with them and a bit wary of so many options so I'll need to spend a bit more time on it later before I take the plunge.

Thought this would be easy!

Thanks Peter

26/03/2020 19:56:35

Thanks everyone--bit of a minefield, no wonder I was puzzled!

I've also suffered the min Bulgin on hifi kit so rather avoid, the other Bulgin are a bit big. The CPC suggestion sounds good but the voltage is a bit low for a reasonable amount of pins. Dont really want to attempt dedicated crimping—also been there before!

Suspected the C091 was not suitable for 240v which is why I asked the question.

The application is to connect to the operating coils (240v) on 3 existing air solenoid valves. I want to connect these to relays inside a dedicated box which is housed inside a cabinet.

If I use (reasonably priced) connectors I’ll be able to proof test the box in the workshop as the equipment is in continuous use.

Peter

26/03/2020 14:31:47

Hello,

I want to use a small 7 pin plug and socket to carry around 100ma 240v ac each pin.

I have looked at the Amphenol C 091 series (T3476 001 etc, from RS) which appears to be rated at 240v ac and 5a.

However I seem to remember some "communications" on this or a similar subject recently on this forum but cannot remember where and cannot find it!

Can anyone point me to the thread or suggest something suitable without breaking the bank?

Thanks Peter

Thread: Solar panel surprise
12/03/2020 18:06:24

I completly missed the boat with all the better tarifs due to being indecisive!

Installing now, does solar still repesent a decent investment, and has anyone installed panels recently?

Peter

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
15/01/2020 16:10:53

Been reading this thread with interest poised to go to W10 from W7 but just received an update for my W7 as I shut down earlier. Rather strange but all seems to be working ok after the installation. Odd on the day support ends. Anyone else had that happen?

Do I expect to see W10 installed and working or something worse when I switch on tomorrow ?

Peter

Thread: Tool boat sizes?
08/01/2020 19:55:08

Hi Bill & John,

Thanks for your help. It looks like it is bigger than an S4 (147mm) as its 160mm long but the tool appature is right at 38mm.

The S5 looks like it has a tool appature of 44mm from the lathes data.

None of the data found so far gives the "V" locating dimentions that go onto the tool post.

Wondered if it was an S4 with a slightly longer body? Wondered if anyone had an S4 to measure the fitting dimention?

Peter

08/01/2020 09:35:30

Hello, These were bought a few years ago at stationary engine rally. However they turned out to be bigger than the ones used I use on my lathe, they looked the same at the time!

Can anyone suggest what size or type they are?

Thanks Peter

tb-1.jpg

tb-2.jpg

tb-3.jpg

Thread: DCGT polished inserts
04/01/2020 12:49:50

Dont know about DCGT but I bought some DCMT0702 EM YB205 which appear similar and are very good on most things including brass and steel and cost £3.28 for 10 in P&P.

Thread: 1.1kw motor iffy
24/11/2019 07:38:52

Ive had similar experiences over the years with start capacitors not lasting when used to start frequently. As they are often back to back electrolytic capacitors which tend to overheat and dry out,t I replaced them with motor run capacitors which eliminated the problem for me. Some ended up being larger than the originals but normally managed to fit them somewhere. Peter

Thread: Meter Probe
14/08/2019 12:36:37

All interesting stuff.

I find I quite like using my Avo 8 occasionally especially if I'm reading current, I find it far easier to follow a swaying needle rather than rolling digits and of course it doesnt power off after a few minutes.

Peter G4LSA

14/08/2019 08:24:22

Yes spring loaded shrouds were really annoying with leads popping off all the time. Also had bad experiences with lower priced meters belonging to others, the meters work fine but the leads just dont last.

Sorted for now but its opened my eyes to whats available for the future so thanks everyone.

Peter

12/08/2019 21:00:11

Yes looks like they are GPO/BT and we all want some!

Think I bought a box of them at the Telford rally some time ago. Cannot find the box which would have the part no on them.

Peter

12/08/2019 18:57:01

I'm running short of simple meter probes, eveything I look at is either expensive rubbish or not what I want.

This is what I've previously used, plugs onto a bannana plug lead (4mm?) so I can change it for a croc clip.

Does anyone recogise them and know if anything similar is still available?

Thanks Peter

meter probes.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest