By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RRMBK

Here is a list of all the postings RRMBK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Covid Rules
11/09/2020 00:26:41

+1 for SOD's common sense approach. I suspect the majority of us on this forum are at or close to the older end of the age spectrum and have the ability and experience to understand and dynamically risk assess our own particular situations pretty well and sensibly.

Relying entirely on government advice has some serious drawbacks

A It will always be behind the game line.

B Guidance and regulations will of necessity be a blunt instrument intended to work by creating a degree of fear in law abiding citizens

C There are plenty of people who will ignore the guidance and regulation because as in many other walks of life they don't believe the law applies to them

D Politicians ( of any colour) have two conflicting priorities, people and the economy. No brainer as to which one they will prioritise and it has everything to do with keeping their own bank balances well topped up.

Stay well stay safe and stay apart.

Best wishes all.

Thread: Copper boiler plate flanging, or not?
07/07/2020 10:14:34

Hi all. I agree with Phil, If the flangeing is the issue then it is easily enough resolved. I have had to double flange the firebox front plate and the throat plate for a design that uses an elliptical combustion chamber.

Firstly,flange before drilling for any holes . make up inside and outside formers to the shape you require, easy lathe work for circular. on the mill for the elliptical, and a third former to go inside the flange and sandwich the plate between them. If you are double flanging, which it doesn't seem you are; you will need four formers in total. If you have access to a hydraulic press just put the whole sandwich of the two inner formers and the copper in it and press the outer former over it or through it as the case may be. . You may have to anneal a few times but the initial bend will keep the formers in the right place. place I use simple hydraulic press made from an old truck bottle jack and they come out nicely formed , and with the minimum of dressing work needed to clean up to an edge ready for soldering.

If you can find it, I suggest you read an article " boilermaking made easy" by Jack Coulson I think it was in MEW or EIM but not sure, It adds to, but also gives some very good alternatives to Alec Farmers view. However one of our members will no doubt be able to tell you where to find it. I may have an electronic copy somewhere but it may take me a while to find it. If I do I will try and send it to you.

Bear in mind that having Acetelyne at home will completely invalidate probably 90% of all house insurance policies, which is why I got rid of mine a long time ago.

Happy flangeing !

Thread: Castings
02/05/2020 11:37:21

Based in Kent, pretty much a one man operation, but using other external foundries on a sub contract basis. Website implies a full in house one stop service from drawing to casting but this is not the case. Used them once for CI & GM sand cast but wouldn't do so again as quality, communications and delivery left a great deal to be desired. It appears they have blanket e mailed the majority of ME clubs and model associated e.mails/ websites, to drum up business. Not trying to be negative, just saying what my own experience was. Caveat Emptor and all that.

Thread: Which suppliers are open for business?
07/04/2020 22:13:50

Not ME related but one of the major classic m/cycle suppliers was happy to take my order and my money over their website and then subsequently send me an e.mail to say the order is made up but wont be dispatched till after business returns to normal following the lifting of government restrictions. I feel they should have posted it on their website BEFORE you placed the order and made the payment. So I suggest you confirm with any supplier first.

Good luck all.

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 11:02:56

I stand properly corrected by Bill Davies, it is book no 9 . My reference to no 6 is either a typo on my part or more likely my usual problem with FFS ( fat finger syndrome! )

Despite all of that I still recommend it as a worthwhile read.

Thread: Silver Soldering Brass
20/01/2020 22:51:03

Take a bit of time to read the Workshop practice book No 6 by Tubal Cain , the late TD Walshaw . One will learn and understand all one ever needs to know about soldering, silver soldering and brazing and the distinctions between them. It may be dated in relation to its references to cadmium based products ( at least my older copy is ) but that doesn't in any way affect the superb explanations of the theory and practical aspects of this interesting and much misunderstood process. Happy reading and you will certainly achieve better joints after studying this straightforward and well written book.

It might be worth checking the acetelyne situation with your insurers. Mine immediately responded that my house and contents insurance would be null and void if I were storing acetelyne, even outside in a non attached building.

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
20/01/2020 22:36:37

Take a bit of time to read the Workshop practice book No 6 by Tubal Cain , the late TD Walshaw . One will learn and understand all one ever needs to know about soldering, silver soldering and brazing and the distinctions between them. It may be dated in relation to its references to cadmium based products ( at least my older copy is ) but that doesnt in any way affect the superb explanations of the theory and practical aspects of this interesting and much misunderstood process. Happy reading and you will certainly achieve better joints after studying this straightforward and well written book.

Thread: What are these wheels /tyres?
21/06/2019 21:36:33

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tips-and-advice/tyre-pressure/off-road.

Michelin make alternative filled tubes, known as Bib Mousse ( after their mascot Bibendum ) for off road endurance motorcycles.and they are exceptionally good although a bitch to fit ! Having developed the concept it wold seem logical for them to make them for ATV's, possibly worth a look.

Thread: combustion chamber testing
21/06/2019 19:13:39

Duncan and John, thanks .

I am also using old inner tube, but I tend to leave the tube lengths slightly different to help feeding them in the SB tubeplate later on. I have cut them to the same length but not successful. Unfortunately you cant reach the inner ends of the tubes because of the cross tubes in the combustion chamber. I've been through all my back eim copies without success, so I presume it must be in one I loaned out and didn't get back. sods law !! Just cant remember what he actually used, so if you can find it I would be most grateful.

Cheers Brian.

21/06/2019 12:16:50

Forgot to load photos DOH !!

Look under album Test rig.

21/06/2019 12:07:24

Good morning All.

I am building a locomotive boiler ( LBSC / Josslin Uranus ) and have tested the silver soldering of the cross tubes in the combustion chamber to 200 psi all good. Now the combustion chamber has been soldered to the tube nest I am trying to test the combustion chamber to front plate and the tube nest joint, inside out so to speak; as once its soldered in to the boiler you cant get at it at all.

I cant seem to get a good enough seal on the tubes at the smokebox end to get pressure up sufficiently high and don't want to tighten up the test rig any more in case a tube buckles.

I seem to recall an article in EIM regarding a similar test and how he sealed the tube ends, can anyone point me in the direction of that article or have any ideas how a better seal might be achieved ? I had considered making ali or wooden plugs and fitting with silicone, but I am concerned about them swelling the ends of the tubes and the difficulties of getting them all the same length.

Over to the knowledgeable ones from this old dunce !

Thread: Conundrum for the collective!
20/03/2019 19:42:55

Hi Paul.

Age may be a relevant factor. Some marine engine builders will have machined the couplings in their own build yards, and bored them to suit the shafts. the hole spacing is then determined by the shaft diameter, being positioned midway between the bore and the OD. That's certainly how we did it when re - engineing some work boats of similar horsepower. Particularly awkward to use a Din or BS standard on a shaft built before they were introduced !

Thread: Yet more confusion!
12/01/2019 19:34:55

We have never enjoyed a stable climate.

We have never enjoyed a stable political system.

We have never enjoyed a stable economic system.

What have we ever enjoyed that could be classed as stable?

Horses ? wink

Thread: Getting priorities right
07/12/2018 18:05:41

Our beloved representatives ( MP's) of all colours, agree that the national minimum wage is around 8 quid an hour, the average working week under the Working time directive is around 40 hours . In my primary school maths, the government are saying that a person can live on £ 320 per week. give or take a few quid.

On that basis,how come anyone can be offered benefits that amount to more than that sum ? Equally important for many of us on this forum how come a young fit able person deserves £320 per week but a pensioner only deserves around £120. ????

Obviously maths is not the Government,s strong suit

Thread: Thread Wires.
04/12/2018 19:01:27

in the US Chips are our crisps and Fries are our chips. and ive never seen anything yet in my swarf tray / chip pan that looked even remotely edible!!

Thread: Quick release hook
17/11/2018 17:54:46

Google pelican hook. no need to re invent the wheel , we used these on the anchor chains for rigs with 40 ton anchors hanging on the end and they were tripped remotely with a long pendant , so you can get them any size you want. only work with chain though, not with wire.

Thread: Solution found to the World's biggest problem . . .
09/11/2018 12:28:52

I am still regularly riding my 750 BMW that I bought new 42 years ago. Over its lifetime it has taken me to work regularly and on long distance europe trips. I have carried out various repairs but it still starts first time and I can still get spares for it ( although at rather exorbitant prices!)

I recently visited the Triumph factory at Hinkley, great day out and very interesting . Very tempted by a new bike but will it still be going in 40 years time i'm not sure? will I be able to get spares , I suspect not, can I service and repair it myself absolutely not !!

Exactly the same applies to my 26 year old Peugot based motorhome in comparison with a new one,

Companies profits and shareholders dividends are based on selling us a new item just as often as they possibly can and marketing is based on convincing us that things we might only actually want are things we desperately need.

Like NDIY all my machines are over 40 years old and still perfectly fine.

Thread: Holbrook 10B lathe
16/10/2018 14:39:59

A very good point Brian ( the other one ! ) but when I swapped my South Bend for the Holbrook I kept most of my chucks, backplates etc and all of them fit perfectly.

I think that boxford cloned the S.B and that the 10B was then subsequently designed to use S.B / Boxford accessories to avoid having to develop new stuff. I suspect the other alternative at the time being the Myford parts, they were considered not beefy enough.

15/10/2018 21:20:35

Hi Anthony.

I put the original listing up as mine is no 18 and came to me virtually from its original buyer.

Your chuck backplate should be no problem as it is the same thread and register as a Boxford or South bend so one from either of these can be used. From memory I think it is 1 1/2 " x 8 tpi.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? and are you visiting the Midlands Exhibition? I will be there Fri Sat & sun .

I also have a manual you can photocopy although it isnt really up to much !

Kind regards

Brian

Thread: Graham Meek - Mods to (copies of) Picador Drill Grinding Jigs
08/09/2018 14:41:12

Hi all. Did we ever get to answer the OP original question - where are the drawings to be found.? I would also like to modify my non picador jig and would like to access the drawings. I have looked through the eim index and my back copies of eim but cant find anything.

So if anyone does know or can post the info please share the location!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest