By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Lamb

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Lamb has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taking Leave
23/10/2020 09:28:57

Andrew, I enjoy reading your posts and have learnt a lot from them. Present times are pretty crazy and may well get worse before Christmas - I think we may all be getting a bit fed up with things. I hope you will reconsider your decision - slow down a bit on the posts but don't leave us all without the benefit of your knowledge. Hope the work goes well and look forward to seeing some more posts at sometime in the future. All the best - Bob

Thread: Virtual Meet Ups
19/10/2020 14:06:57

Yes please Neil - I hope to be able to make it. Thank you - Bob

Thread: Machining smokebox door.
27/09/2020 07:49:13

Baz - I tried small files and emery paper and came to the same conclusion as you - cut them off and start again.

Paul - It's a 3 ½" Maisie, so not very big. I have tried the Dremel which worked quite well but is difficult to get an even finish round the hinges. I don't have a rotary table. I had not thought of a power file - could be the opportunity to justify buying one! I have often thought it might be useful to have one so maybe now is the time.

The other problem of leaving the hinges on is getting the outside edge circular. I tried holding it by the chucking piece and turning the lathe by hand with very small cuts so that I could stop when it reached the hinges, I thought I would then be able to finish the bit between the hinges by hand. This works ok but I think I will probably end up cutting them off and putting on new hinges.

Thanks for the suggestions - Bob.

26/09/2020 19:06:35

I have a smokebox door with hinges cast onto the front. Is there a cunning way of cleaning the front up and maintaining the hinges? Is it actually much easier to cut them off, turn the front of the door and then make and rivet on new hinges? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Bob

Thread: ⅜" Whitworth wingnut
16/08/2020 19:16:14

Thanks for those suggestions - will contact GWR later tonight.

Bob

16/08/2020 18:48:15

Does anybody have a ⅜" Whit wing nut lurking anywhere by any chance please? Or any idea where I might get one please? I need it to repair an artist's easel and it seems a shame to just use a plain nut.

Thanks in anticipation Bob

Thread: What's this please?
01/11/2019 18:53:42

Alan and John, thanks for the answers. It was good to see a picture of it on the Travers Tool link.

Thread: What's this please 2
01/11/2019 17:07:52

Vic and Ega, Thanks very much. I see now it may have a potential use and will put a small handle on it for future use. Now I know the answer it is so obvious..........Why am I so dumb? Don't bother to answer that one please!

Thanks again, Bob

01/11/2019 16:29:47

I got this about 2 years ago from a friend who was into horology. Not sure if it was anything to do with that or just another of his unusual tools.

img_0204.jpg

img_0202.jpg

img_0203.jpg

It looks like it is intended to be held in a file handle and the round end looks like, and feels like, it has fine file teeth.

Again, if anyone knows what it is for, or could use of it for what it is intended, please let me know.

Thanks, Bob

Thread: What's this please?
01/11/2019 16:07:55

I have had this for some time and always wondered what it was for.

img_0205.jpg

img_0206.jpg

img_0207.jpg

img_0208.jpg

It can obviously be clamped onto a ¼" rod or could be held by the ¼" rod on the other end of the tool. The cross bar pivots in ons plane and the limits are shown in the last two photos. The ball ends of the pivoting arms are different diameters, one is ⅛" dia and the other end is 5/32".

The total length of the pivoting arm is 3 ¾".

If anybody knows what it is for, or could make use of it, please let me know

Thanks, Bob

Thread: Saw doctor
07/10/2019 11:26:11

Thanks again for the all the replies. I have contacted East Midlands Saw Services and they are going to do them by post. They said they are very busy at the moment and it would probably take two or three weeks but that isn't the end of the world. I will report back when they are returned but it has cheered me up to know in this throwaway era there are still people left with the skills to maintain old tools.

Bob

06/10/2019 23:19:01

Thanks for the replies - the Skelton saw link was certainly fascinating to watch but somehow I don't think I could justify the price of a new one (even though I would like one) and I suspect my poor old saws would not be worthy of his attention! I would imagine that, if he sharpens saws, he would have more than enough work sharpening his own bespoke ones.

I don't use mine that often now and suspect they will have to carry on as they are. I always had great respect for the saw doctor and remember the difference he used to make. Yet another example of progress....... but I live in hope.

Bob.

06/10/2019 17:05:50

I know this isn't model engineering but does anyone know a good saw doctor to sharpen my dovetail saws? I am in London but I am sure it could be done by post. The important thing is that he/she should be good. I used to have them done when I taught woodwork at a school (in the days when it was a real subject). I then got them done at a local tool shop - but this closed down. My favourite one is from about 1965 and I don't want to have a go myself as I have neither the skill nor the patience! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and, I am sure, would be of use to others.

Thanks in advance, Bob

Thread: Another scam
08/08/2019 00:40:32

It's technology again - I don't know how but one of those bl**dy smiley things has appeared along with some random letters - it should have read Bona Fide Mobile Lt.

Bob

Edited By Bob Lamb on 08/08/2019 00:41:37

08/08/2019 00:35:12

My partner had another scam just recently which was really annoying and threw up a few disturbing revelations. She checked the details on her phone contract as the bills had suddenly started increasing for no apparent reason. It turned out she had supposedly been buying games from some company and was being billed by O2 for the privilege!

A trip to the O2 shop showed that she had indeed subscribed to these games (from “Bona Fide Mobile Lt&rdquo – the problem was she didn’t know how. Apparently it might have been as simple as clicking on a browser link which might not even have mentioned a games subscriptions at all. The woman in the shop blocked the number and we thought that would be the end of it. Last night however another text came through about another subscription from the same company. We went into the shop again today and the answer was she must have clicked on a link again to reactivate the subscription! You can imagine that after the previous experience she had been pretty careful but obviously not careful enough.

The woman in the shop told us that she had also been scammed in a similar way and her colleague went on to say that it was possible to “subscribe” simply by pressing the x in the corner of an advert to get rid of it. He said, and I don’t know if it is true, that you should wait for 30 seconds before clicking until the potentially fake x was replaced by a “real” x to remove the ad!

The woman in the shop told us to contact the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA) website **LINK** which she did and it turns out that they are just bringing in measures to prevent this sort of thing. I didn’t lose my temper in the shop but they didn’t seem to understand that the phone companies should not allow rogue operators to simply be able to set up a system which enrols you in a subscription you do not know about BUT GIVES THEM (AND PRESUMABLY THE PHONE COMPANY) a nice little earner that goes on weekly until you see something on your bill. It does not seem to be possible to simply put a block on texts that take money out of your account. It seems to me you should have to have at least a two stage process including putting in a verification code before any money could be taken out and this is indeed one of the things they are bringing in on the first of November.

It is worth looking at the PSA website and probably worth a quick check on your own bills to check that it has not happened to you. Sorry for the long post but this is something that I had no idea could happen and certainly should not be allowed to happen.

Bob

Thread: TTFN
19/07/2019 19:40:18

Andrew,

I did not see the posts concerned and have no idea what it was all about. What I do know is that I have always enjoyed your posts and I am in awe of the quality of your work. They gave me a standard to aim for - pretty hopelessly in my case - but I always found them fascinating or helpful or often both.

It is good to hear that you will not be leaving as it would have been a great loss to us all.

Look forward to reading more when you have the time.

Bob

Thread: Barrier Cream
16/07/2019 13:01:19

Another vote for Dermashield. It does seem expensive but lasts a long time and does a good job. It is also very useful to calm down the occasional skin irritation with a very soothing effect.

The other one I am using at the moment is David Somersets "HANDGUARD". They mainly make shaving oils but this one does make cleaning your hands easy after a dirty session. Its only downside is using it for something like gardening - it washes off if you get it wet with water but oil and grease don't seem to be a problem. Bob

Thread: Drawing errors for LBSC Maisie
10/06/2019 22:00:22

Thank you MichaelR and Boiler Bri - I'm pretty sure I was thinking about the reverser and I failed to find a website with drawing corrections. Bob

10/06/2019 18:20:44

Thanks for the answers FMES and Baz. The bit about the backhead and the reverser position does stir my memory and maybe that was what I was remembering.

Thanks again - Bob

10/06/2019 10:46:48

I live in hope of an answer second time round!

Bob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest