By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for camper

Here is a list of all the postings camper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bearing race for bicycle wheel ?
23/08/2018 10:05:44

radus should be somewhat oversize to obtain line contact and ease of alignment when doctoring an or baliss willey the gash box turned up a pair of magneto bearings that did the job with minimal fiddling

Thread: Another Rollo Elf thread
20/03/2014 16:51:06

Have a far eastern 5speed version on a tandem it seems bullet proof, but some of the birmingham ones were a tad iffy. As an aside a hub brake makes decent clutch my 1930 springfield has used a bsa bantam rear for 30 years it is now worth more than the lathe

Thread: Myford ML2 lathe
07/03/2012 16:47:17

if its similar to my ml4 modern myford gears fit drill your own pin holes or if you file keyways in your existing gears you can use ml7 sleeves and pins with a bit of fiddling lathes,co is useful

Thread: Flycutter with 2 Morse taper and M10 thread
21/01/2011 10:07:14
permenant solution helicoil i used this on 3mt when the new chinaman made all the old tooling obsolete a cheapy kit from tracy tools had sufficient inserts for everything and some left over not a great deal dearer than the studding.
Thread: home castings / metal alloys
01/12/2010 15:00:32
willow contains an acid salictic? related to asprin which allegedly removes free hydrogen from bronzes for ally i think you need a proper degass tablet bad news for the impecunious (my foundry experience was as an apprentice40 odd years ago and it all seemed a bit like sorcery at the time)
Thread: Adjustable Dials for Feedscrews
24/09/2010 12:34:00
warning! mentioning an ml4 may bring down accusations that you are a primitive living in a tent.
In the real world check feedscrew wear first as you can "update"to ml7 bits with some ingenuity but will need different divisions also filling the bed with epoxy granite transforms the ridigity and gets rid of the swarf trap if you  have the open top model .
CAREFULY SET UP AND USED SENSIBLY it will make anything  a7 will and leave you money to spend on castings and kit enjoy it
Thread: myford boxford or colchester
15/03/2010 11:01:56
sorry no micro house or any hopes ever of a super seven ml7 the almost affordable one spindle+bearings 400 bed saddle regrind pushing 600 try that in your old age on a fixed income not everyone out here is wealthy and the falacy that you must spend a fortune on modern kit dro etc before making anything is possibly putting many newcomers off you dont actually need it and you may learn more without it which is not to say i would'nt like it myself .conrary to popular belief i'm not a tight old yorkshireman but an impoverished mikanik who would rather use older kit than option b watch telly
11/03/2010 09:44:59
condition is everything with myfords an early one still fetches good money but if well worn thecost of a regrind and headstock bearings ithe same as a modest terraced house.
easier to find good boxfords and bigger lathes.as for the chinaman been there dunnit sold it on ebay curretly using a ml4 for titchy bits and a lease lend springfield both with bus passes but mint and both cost nowt
Thread: Frame material for Tich
05/03/2010 09:58:19
gauge plate for frames, luxury bought a cheapo cuts all saw from aldi turns a old chassis leg into valuable raw material in seconds 6mm ms without complaint wonderful for the impecunious ps chip fat is great in ml4 headstock bearings and the workshop heater
Thread: Parallel Turning
16/02/2010 10:57:46
twist etc is best checked with a test bar in the headstock taper any lathe can be coaxed into turning parallel between centres with tailstock adjustment and fag papers sadly this newfound precision is not reflected in chuck held work or when trying to bore parallel
Thread: Turbine Blades
12/02/2010 10:00:19
use two different size holesaws to form blade profile (no pilot necessary if you go gently)
haggle the waste out as best you see fit twist  to suit, primitive but it works with a ml4 and a steel tape(saving for a mike).
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest