By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Haynes

Here is a list of all the postings David Haynes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: To CNC or not to CNC - that is the question.
12/01/2012 09:10:35
After several years with a lathe and vertical slide, the need for a mill became evident and when looking at the choice between manual or CNC, I was tempted by the latter, but felt being familiar with first principles was, for me, the better initial step. The mill is now ordered and the delivery countdown clock is ticking. Looking this morning, only 109 days to go!

Dave
Thread: Mill spindle trouble?
10/01/2012 07:41:03
Hi Wolfie,
After deciding that I wanted to buy a lathe and then settling on the popular British ML7, it took me well over a year to find the right one. I wanted to save having to buy a lot of extras. Some had taps & dies and so forth but these extras where in poor condition. The one I finally got had a good selection of extras, was fairly close to home and the right price. We had a 50th birthday for it in 2009 but I once heard said that when contemplating a used Series 7 Myford, its age is irrelevant. The Myford ML7 was made for over 30 years at the rate of about 3900 a year so there is a better chance of finding this than many other used machines. There are other good British makes and Lathes.co.uk is a good guide. Finding a British milling machine has, I have found, been more difficult. After considering all my options, my research and advice seeking has ended up with me ordering a far eastern machine but I am confident that it will be okay. Good luck with the new workshop you have and the milling machine will work out fine once the hiccups have settled!
Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 10/01/2012 07:58:42

09/01/2012 23:14:27
Wolfie, all this messing about with bearings is a bit frustrating for you I know, but as I said before, we would be paying so much more for the machines if we bought European and it should soon be all top dollar. Amadeal seem to coming up with the goods. Finding the light in a gloomy saturation, one benefit is that you now know more about the workings of the machine than you would if it hadn't failed and yes, you will be up to the job of fixing it!
Dave
08/01/2012 23:08:13
I would like to add what Norman has said about Ketan 'jumping into this bear pit!' Whilst a cynic may say that a supplier has ulterior motives in being on the forum, and although there is mention of Arc products in passing, having spoken to Ketan at length after I made an enquiry about the X2 mill (he rang me back), I found him affable and knowledgeable about the product. Whilst, again, it could be argued that this is all about sales pitch, I genuinely feel that he is interested in his subject, whether there is the sound of a cash register in prospect or not. Incidentally, he was explaining how they had improved the X2 with motor and drive changes that made it different to others.

Wolfie, I am sure with patience you will get things ticking over fine!

Dave
Thread: Editing my own thread
04/01/2012 21:02:14
Further to this post, on another recent post I erroneously put in a long link without editing it Amadeal XJ300 miller T slots (02/01/2012 23:58:27) causing problems on some displays. Whilst the moderator could change it, I was too tired to notice and correct it myself in time. Shame really. Also, I have noticed that within the Message function, there is a spell checker, odd it is not on the main site also.
D

Edited By David Haynes on 04/01/2012 21:02:50

Thread: Amadeal XJ300 miller T slots
04/01/2012 06:33:52
I received a letter yesterday from a dear uncle who has a professional engineering background, in which he commented on my research for a mill. Although he is a prolific wood machinist, some things resonated with metal milling. He felt that importance of weight and rigidity was more relevant if taking deep cuts, expected more in commercial than hobby work. This applies equally to plastic gears; if we go in hoping to take 1/2" cuts each time then the thing will shear gears! Before the gears shear, the machine will surely be making complaining sounds and I suppose part of our skill is to not be too heavy. Arc Euro sells gears that may suit X2 similar machine at Old X2 Mill Spares but you can also get a Belt Drive Kit if later on you want to do so. Short links!  Time to give my wee lassy her breakfast!
Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 04/01/2012 06:50:40

03/01/2012 18:54:22
Hi folks, sorry I caused a stir with the Chronos link, they seem to have this tendency with their addresses being long. It was just before midnight and I was tired, dreading the 5am roll call with the bairn. I couldn't edit it later for reasons discussed elsewhere Editing my own thread so thanks to David C for doing it for me.

All the best
Dave
03/01/2012 07:41:24
In all fairness, you will find this with just about any of them machines on sale at the moment. You could pick up one or two end cutters for less than £10 each and it is possible to do a little light milling using the supplied 'drilling' chuck, but it is not designed for this and you would be wise to move to collets; even with ER collets there is dispute as to whether they are close enough into the bearings. Oh, and yes, you are right about the bikes; I never got a new one so the bits came with it anyway!
Dave
02/01/2012 23:58:27
Sorry, but I think they will have to be bought separately. As this mill is an MT3 spindle you will need to get the collet holder with the set and I think that Amadeal do the set at
Morse 3 for £47, I suspect this is only ER25 and you may find more flexibility with an MT3 ER32 setER32 but this is more pricey at £95
You may just want to start with just an MT3 ER32 collet holder and 3 or 4 common sizes. If you are doing milling with the more common small size cutters (around 3/8") then they tend to have the same (3/8") shank size and therefore you only need one collet for milling (for now!). 3/8" is either a 3/8" imperial collet or a 10-9mm collet. Amadeal don't do an MT3 ER32 collet holder but Chronos have one Chronos for £49 and each ER32 also the collets, if you get Soba I think they are about £8 each.
Dave

Edited By David Clark 1 on 03/01/2012 18:22:29

Thread: Metro water gauge
31/12/2011 23:41:18

Looking at the Metro drawings, I note that:-

The top of the firebox crown is 11/16"above boiler C/L

Bottom water gauge bush is 1/8" above boiler C/L

Vertical distance between water gauge bushes C/L is 1 11/16"

Depending on how tightly the glass retaining nuts are, the visible glass seems to be quite small, maybe only about 1/2".

Can anyone who knows Metro please let me know what it's visible glass length actually is, whether this is easily to read and if, when the water is at the bottom of the glass, it still covers the firebox crown?

Thanks

Dave

Thread: vertical slide or x1 mill attachment
31/12/2011 23:30:16
Francis, firstly thank you for posting the pictures of your newly arrived milling machine, all exciting stuff! Did you have to strip it down to remove transport grease, apply running grease and generally fettle up where necessary? I known that ArcEuro recommend this for all their Sieg mills. You have mentioned the rigidity issue of Sieg tilting columns, the X3 that is supplied by Arc and Axminster does not tilt and that is one of the things that drew me to it. Finally, what surface treatment did you use for you workshop floor? It looks nice. Do you find it is robust and fit for purpose?
With best wishes
David
Thread: Axminster Power Tools milling vices on offer
29/12/2011 12:55:01
Hello folks

David,
Was that the 100mm precision Toolmakers vice from ArcEuro and what size of table do you have?

Also, Billy which tiltable vice did you get?

Thanks
David

Edited By David Haynes on 29/12/2011 12:58:30

29/12/2011 10:36:34
This discussion gave some useful tips, but for me, the question is, what first vice would one choose for a 6" wide table. Plenty to choose from and whilst going for a 100mm wide may not be necessary and narrower are available, I have a list here on which short comments (eg good/bad/average) would be appreciated:-

I see various folks are agrieved by poor products and a simple comment on these (and any similars) may save me and other purchasers from making the same mistakes.
Thanks
Dave

Thread: vertical slide or x1 mill attachment
28/12/2011 14:35:21
Hello Bob,
I have an ML7 with a vertical slide, not a Myford one but similar, with slotted table and double swivel. There is no micrometer dial on the vertical slide. I paid £50 for this, which I thought at the time was a bargain when the proper Myford one (with vice) was £110 from a member of my society. I managed to work out the calibration for the vertical traverse to be one revolution = 0.080", thus 1/4 turn gave 20 thou up or down, remembering of course to go the right way; once or twice I grimaced as I went up when needing down! Much of the time I ended up measuring with the depth gauge on the vernier caliper. A lot of messing about which I would not have had with a micrometer dial . I had a few situations where the tool caught and the whole table kicked on one or other of it's axes, even though the swivel had been tightened securely. In the end, I felt the best option would have been a vertical slide with micrometer and no tilting in either axis, much more secure and it is very rare to need to rotate the axis anyway.

After some years of switching between turning and milling in the lathe, with all the set up / set down time and so forth, I now have the opportunity to get a mill, research discussed here. I feel justified in this decision as I intend to do more than just my current little loco project, and hope to order a Sieg X3 from ArcEuro (non-tilting head/imperial/R8) soon.

(Non-tilting for rigidness, imperial because all my drawings and lathe are imperial, R8 for ease of drawbar removal)

Many people say the mill is not essential and much is possible with only a lathe. A friend has completed Martin Evan's 5" Metro without a mill and I know many others have done more, but all will admit that a mill is a big help. I should add, the Sieg X2 from ArcEuro is probably a good choice and much less than an X3.

With best wishes
Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 28/12/2011 14:44:09

Edited By David Haynes on 28/12/2011 14:46:37

Edited By David Haynes on 28/12/2011 14:47:32

Thread: Choice of small milling machine
23/12/2011 14:55:42

I have just had an email from Axminster who have said their prices will rise significantly:-
Axminster SIEG X3/Imperial/R8 Mill Drill £996 --> £1230
Axminster ER32 Precision Collet Holder - R8 Order code: 910231 £42 --> £28
Axminster SIEG X3/Super X3 Floor Stand Order code: 210114 £191 --> £220
12mm T Slot Clamp Kit for Mills Order code: 951675 £36 --> £43

Also they now supply in early May, same as ArcEuro
Dave

Thread: fine adjustment
18/12/2011 16:10:21
Interesting point from Steve re Arc Euro and Axminster. I am interested in a X3. Arc have given me 16 weeks delivery for and X3 in red and Axminster have confidently given me 8 weeks lead time for an X3 in white and £50 dearer. But for service, I have heard good first hand for Axminster and also ArcEuro. Arc do have limited spares, but the range is limited to.
Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 18/12/2011 16:15:19

16/12/2011 18:51:35
Hi Gerry,
Just out of interest, which supplier did you get the mill from and are you happy with the service so far. How well is the mill working? How quickly did the order come and did you have to strip and rebuild it? A poorly translated manual is not in itself a reflection of the supplier.
Thanks
Dave
Thread: Editing my own thread
13/12/2011 08:58:09
Hi Sid, that makes sense. I prefer spell checkers which allow me to add my spellings.
David
12/12/2011 21:29:18
Thanks for that. The quick edit is a new one on me, but I am familiar with the 'other' spell check. I tend to use my email software or Word, depending on what is open at the time. I am wary about the use of other spell checker and I do grimace a bit when I see how many UK publications become Americanized by relying on the Microsoft software to correct the spelling,
Dave

That is marvellous.  I have just edited this by being quick.  On other fora it is possible to edit some time after and I cannot see why that is a problem.
Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 12/12/2011 21:31:59

12/12/2011 17:58:17
I want to be able to change the text of a thread after I have posted it. This function does not seem to be present on the site, Also, I have not seen a spell check.
In the ideal world, all theads will be perfect when posted, but then mistakes will creep in and these are both useful tools for that.

Thanks
Dave
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest