By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Haynes

Here is a list of all the postings David Haynes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Converting CAD files to PDF
24/06/2012 07:48:53

Thanks Bob,

By installing AutoCAD 2011, I now am able to print to PDF with quality is as it should be. As you have said, that will enable taking the files to a local print shop for reasonably priced A1 sheet printing.

Dave

23/06/2012 17:06:46

Thanks for the comment Adam. When I posted my initial question, I was using AutoCAD 2000 and there is no facility for printing to PDF. Installing CutePDF helped a little, but as stated above, the quality is poor. I have since had a failed new laptop and have had to replace it it with a 64-bit Win7 machine that will not run AutoCAD 2000. I have installed AutoCAD 2011 and the quality is as it should be. I still have a working older laptop with AutoCAD 2000 which, with conversion of drawings, is still used for drafting.

Dave

Thread: Silver soldering
22/06/2012 10:11:13

In a small boiler of the size 007 is discussing here, would 1mm dia silver solder be suitable for most locations? Also, what preference for flux?

Dave

22/06/2012 07:05:24

Cup Alloys and others sell a range of different silver solder grades with differing melting temperatures. As the solder melts, the changes to it's composition raises the melting point. This may mean for a small boiler that only one grade need be used. I too am in a similar starting situation to 007 and wondered what grade I should choose - Cup Alloys were helpful but did not give me this answer.

Thanks

Dave

Thread: mini mills - which is the best?
16/06/2012 11:21:42

Nigel,

Like many people on this forum, I find ArcEuro to be a fair, informative and neutral supplier. Also like many, I make use of their preparation guide which describes the areas where grease is applied. This is part of their preparation service.  I followed the guide and would hope that it isn't going to be detrimental to the machine. As I understand, Ketan of ArcEuro has a background that should qualify for compiling the guide, which has been around since 2007 and there has been plenty of time for thorough peer review.

Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 16/06/2012 11:23:00

15/06/2012 22:56:26

I engaged in a mill choice query before Christmas (here) and finally settled on the Sieg X3 with R8 spindle and imperial dials (my lathe and drawings are imperial and if I wanted, DRO can easily be fitted). I missed the pre-Christmas offer from ARC but secured a price hold from Axminster (the other Sieg supplier). The machine was ordered from Axminster at the start of January and arrived around 3 months later. I dismantled the machine to enable regreasing and size reduction for installation. I found that there was no need to regrease as the transport protection was not overly thick and the factory grease seemed to be sufficient. I re-greased anyway. The heaviest items are the base (~24kg), the head (~20kg) and the column (~35kg), so size reduction proved to be an essential operation. The total weight of ~143kg, ~165kg with stand, makes a very solid machine.

The mill has been in frequent use since arriving at the start of April and in these two months I have found it a pleasure to use, it is always able to do as asked and with a satisfactory precision (eg the table level varies by 0.002" over the whole 400mm traverse.)

Not only can I recommend the Sieg X3 milling machine, but I can also recommend Axminster, who I have found extremely helpful throughout.

Dave

Thread: boiler building
13/06/2012 21:37:30

Thanks for the ideas, it's been useful in putting my mind in the right direction. The boiler is only a tiny thing and I will be speaking to one of the various Boiler Examiners of my M.E. society when I can.

Dave

Heronsgate - my problem is that due to severe health and other difficulties in my family, I rarely get to the meetings of the society so being able to access this site and the mostly helpful folk is a useful aid but not a replacement for the real world...

Edited By David Haynes on 13/06/2012 21:38:02

13/06/2012 15:22:52

Hi,

I have the bulk of the copper sheet and tubes etc for a small loco boiler and am about to order the brazing rod and silver solder. I wondered if there is a rule of thumb how much is needed, for example per foot of tube, sq ft of sheet or by weight. Also, what sorts of the solder and brazing rod?

Thanks

Dave

Thread: Which milling vice
10/05/2012 19:33:48

It is such a shame that the widely praised Vertex K4 is only available with the rotating base. I cannot see many times it would be needed and there are well practised techniques for rotating work pieces by packing etc. Many people seem to take the base off anyway.

Dave

Thread: LBSC tich drawings
25/04/2012 07:21:12

Hi Stephen,

If you ring up MyHobbyStore on 0844 848 8822 then you can order the backups or the full drawing set. I have ordered a recent backissue that I had misplaced that had originally come with a free drawing sheet for another loco and this was included in the back issue. Check when you speak to someone, however, even if they are not sure if the drawing is included, it may be there anyway.

Dave

Thread: bypass v globe valves
17/04/2012 07:56:55

Hi folks,

Can anyone please direct me to drawings for a 1/16 scale globe valve or similar. I want to use it as an injector steam valve on the feed pipe dropping from the turret to the injector.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Thread: Getting a boiler tested
12/04/2012 09:17:02

If you pay commercially for a boiler to be tested, the cost may be expected to be more than a club membership. Club membership however, would include free testing by their own boiler examiners as well as many other model engineer community benefits like track access, friendship and advice.

Dave

Thread: Copper Tube Find
10/04/2012 21:33:44

Hi Kevin,

I am currently trying to source a short piece of 2 5/8" dia x 16g copper tube for a boiler. Your tube is 18g thick which is given as an alternative thickness on the drawing I am working to; fine, but for the 1/8" oversize to what I need! Good luck in finding a boiler builder or otherwise who can use it!

Dave

Thread: Axminster Power Tools milling vices on offer
09/04/2012 13:58:43

Thanks Paul,

What size of screwless vices do you have and what do you mean by 'kind of compound errors'?

I know what you mean by the use of the hammer, I am frustrated by my bench vice needing a bang to release it, I suppose if I bought a decent quality (Record?) vice, I wouldn't have to hit it with a hammer to release it so often.

Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 09/04/2012 14:08:25

08/04/2012 22:45:34

Hi folks,

I'm picking this thread up again as my X3 is due to be delivered by Axminster soon, some months after ordering on 12th night (Epiphany, 6th January)! I new it would be a long wait, but I wasn't expecting it until the end of April so this is a pleasant surprise!

Martin W had some good words to say about the 2 Soba milling vices. Which were they?

Similarly for Paul with his screwless vice from Arc Euro, how successful has it been, I suppose it's the one that DavidC has found successful?

Any other current milling vice thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 08/04/2012 22:47:49

Thread: What Mill?
10/03/2012 21:37:36

Thanks Terry,

I knew it must be something like that. I should know not to post when the smaller end of our family is making a distracting cacophony!

Dave

10/03/2012 14:18:29
Hi Ray,

Firstly, sorry if the links go off the page, I tried to compress them without success!

I was in a similar situation before Christmas and posted this http://modeleng.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toolsandtooling&action=display&thread=6791&page=1 which should give you food for thought. Generally, as mentioned before, the round column or tilting head machines can have the risk of unexpected twisting or rotating and can have associated alignment problems, but if you are aware of this, you can make provision for it and reduce this risk.  I had heard that Amadeal have had problems with bearings and this has been confirmed by Wolfie http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=63822&p=2, but the backup from the supplier has been good. Chester and Warco have sometimes had bad reviews for service but other users have been happy with them. In the end, I ordered a Sieg machine from Axminster (I have still 7 more weeks before it arrives!) but ArcEuro also sell them. Both suppliers have fairly good reputations but Axminster can be a bit more expensive. The Sieg machines have dovetail columns but some also tilt. In particular for your interest, the Sieg X1/2/3 are ideally suitable for CNC conversions. A lot of people have said though that, unless you are doing a lot of repetitive work, is CNC what you really need when a manual mill may be enough for now? Maybe DRO is the first luxury!

Good luck with the hunt, it took quite me a few months but I am happy with my (yet undelivered!) choice.

Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 10/03/2012 14:18:52

Edited By David Haynes on 10/03/2012 14:20:16

Thread: buying copper for boiler makeing
28/02/2012 09:42:20

Thank you David for your occasional edits where threads go askew!

Thread: Bandsaw Choice
16/02/2012 23:48:16

Hi ChrisH,

Which were the recent threads that suggest bandsaws are better than power hacksaws?

Dave

Thread: buying copper for boiler makeing
14/02/2012 22:22:36
Hi Michael,

Besides the Tee section approach discussed by Michael W for the small and large boiler, I have wondered about the Belpaire boiler that LBSC published as an improvement. It may be too much for you at the moment, but it uses a single 2 5/8" 16g tube, no long joint in the barrel, and the performance looks to be the best of the three of them, with a larger grate and heating area. The following is a spreadsheet comparing a few 3 1/2" gauge boilers. It may need to be magnified, but you can do this by either adjusting you browser (View->Zoom) or downloading the image and looking at in a viewer.

Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 14/02/2012 22:23:36

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest