By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Welford

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Welford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: octagonal tips alternative sources?
27/01/2010 20:44:18
Still struggling to get octagonal tips although James at DHL tools in Yeovill can get some direct from Maydown he believes. The price is eye watering, over £75  fo 10.

The ISO code is OEMT 05 T3 TR ideally I'd like coated ones anyone got any source apart from Maydown themselves?

Meyrick a really big thank you for the source
Thread: Workshop Heating
19/01/2010 22:17:37
according to a colleague  a fair bit of WD 40 isa light grade  paraffin and evaporates off leaving the light machine oil it contains behind.

Richard- did the stained taps rust though afterwards? Don't care hwat they look like as liong as they're protected.

Ian
14/01/2010 20:52:57
I put an 8ft oil flled electric radiator on the wall. Thermostat is set to 12 C which keeps the air warm enoguh to prevent condensation and rust.

Concrete floor covered in 18mm chipboard and scraps of old carpet for cosier tootsies.

Floored in the loft but really should put insulation underneath ( cos there's loads of stuff stored on top of the floor up there!

I was considering rubberised insultaion but it's black which means repainitng the whole lot white after installing it.

Roof does thaw before the unheated garage does but then again 2 iced cars go into that each night so comparison's a bit unfair.

Ian
Thread: MEW 3 page missing
05/01/2010 21:23:01
Goran

it's on its way

Ian
Thread: Hints and tips
05/01/2010 20:53:00
Rubber demi-jhon stoppers might fit 3MT . Mine are all in use currently but as the New Year moves on..... I'll update you!

Secondly if you know any friendly print makers -  they dispose of aluminium plate- litho plate which makes excellent shims. It's also really good for making templates for bearing guided router cutters to do complicated wood working. Easy to use score the line then bend the sheet and it snaps but edges are very, very sharp!

Happy New Year one and all.

Ian
Thread: MEW issue 16 not available
04/01/2010 20:15:09
Having looked for issue 3 I have actually got a spare issue 16

.Contact me if you want it.

Ian
04/01/2010 20:12:39
Found it. Where do you want it sending to ? 

Ian
Thread: Cover for a milling machine table
30/12/2009 23:19:29
I found an old toothbrush to clear the T slots works well.

Made some easily movable guards using polycarbonate sheeting ( as used in conservatory roofs) and a couple of rare earth magnets set in a block of wood. -

Make a saw cut in a block of wood the right width for the sheeting to grip it. Drill a shallow hole into the base of the block and insert a magnet. Sticks well to even an oil table. I like a good healthy flow of coolant ( cos I'm not good at sharpening, enthusiastic yes, but not good! ).

The screens deflect coolant and keep it on the mill and off me (  a decision approved by the workshop superintendent, supplier of tea etc). They would not stop anything major so glasses or full face mask are still essential

Merry ( HIc   New Year to one and all!

Please keep up the good humoured (?) banter. Lets face it , it's the "warm discussions" that keep us all going, and the tea, and tea cakes, and chocolate biscuits,,,,

Ian
30/12/2009 23:08:18
got the mag somewhere, which page 9s0 are you missing?

Ian
Thread: Hints and tips
30/12/2009 23:01:54
Well having had lots of advice here's a thought- make some Nylon plugs for the morse tapers on your lathe and mill. I have an Alexander master toolmaker mill and the horizontal hole had lots of interesting gubbins in it when I bought  it,

Remember to make them a close fit but leave a large top to allow you to prize them off ( no prizes form guessing how I found that out  ).

I was so chuffed I even made some for the Myford woodturning lathe which I have just converted to 3 phase to get variable speed.

Secondly I work for a well known chain of chemists and 1ml, 5ml and 10ml syringes are available and great for flushing things out with oil and a bit of pressure. Don't be surprised if you get asked what you want syringes for- you would be amazed what people actually do !   No I am not going to elaborate

Ian
Thread: TIG welding sets
01/11/2009 21:03:03
Thanks one and all for the advice. I may reconsider MIG again as have really only scratched the surface ( often literally as the B@@@@ wire shot out). Maybe a bit more playtime with a friends MIG might convert me?

I just really liked the finish I saw from TIG and electirc gas ( as you say Meyrick) really appealed to me. Having 2 young sons I just did not fancy the fire hazard of oxy acet ( or the costs) so go to a friends farm when needed.

I still would welcome some recommendations on makes guys!

Ian
30/10/2009 09:59:07
Thanks Ian

I just found the MIG a challenge to set up and as TIG is now not much more  thought it worth the money. The idea of hand feeding the rods in appeals as you can adjust things easier  .

any guidance on reliable makes?

Ian
29/10/2009 20:17:09
Thinking about buying a TIG set for occassional use.  I've tried MIG and that was fun (?) but complicated to set up. TIG seems to hit all the right buttons but- what's the feeling about duty cycle? I don't want to go about about 6mm thick steel ( only very occassionally that thick probably ) .

Anyone got any recommendations as to sets worth a look?

Probably 20 minutes continual would be all I normally need but I'd rather get longer than shorter cycle.

Ian
Thread: drill doctor sharpener worht the money?
07/10/2009 19:39:03
Thanks for the advice

. Birthday approaching so have ordered one (from states). Darex themselves were very helpful- Grizzy much less so.

I can get a 240 to 110 v transformer but the variable frequency 's a good idea at a later date perhaps.

Ordered spare wheels as well as by heck there's a price differential !

Thread: drill doctor sharpener worth the money?
22/09/2009 21:09:59
Got a friend going to the usa in a few months and wondering about a drill doctor drill sharpener. Anyone used one- got any views on it?
Thread: drill doctor sharpener worht the money?
22/09/2009 21:09:48
Got a friend going to the usa in a few months and wondering about a drill doctor drill sharpener. Anyone used one- got any views on it?
Thread: useful containers
22/09/2009 20:53:35
Just a thought- ask at Boots stores (or others) where they have a minilab ( photo processing ) in store and you can usually get clear or black film cannisters for free- really handy for small screws etc. I prefer clear .

You may have to promise to dispose of finished ones carefully in these PC times !

Not sure whether this is in the right section David?

Ian
Thread: octagonal inserts
22/09/2009 20:47:59
Thanks Paul and David

Maydown reference is OEMT 05 T3 TR. I have searched a few suppliers but to no avail. I'll try J & L - couldn't find them in my catalogue but the online is more up to date.

Ian
18/09/2009 22:50:01
I want some octagonal inserts for a Maydown  100mm 7 tip facing cutter and they're proving difficult to source. Anyone any ideas please?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate