By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andre ROUSSEAU

Here is a list of all the postings Andre ROUSSEAU has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BOMBSHELL!! ...at last!
30/09/2020 05:47:31

Finally, one Chinese mini-lathe manufacturer has listened. Get this: a 450mm b.c. lathe with a 38mm spindle-bore and a decent 1,100W motor. Their milling machines aren't too bad either:

EDIT Link Deleted as it was wrong.

Edited By JasonB on 30/09/2020 07:02:19

Thread: HARRISON M300 original Plain Taper-Turning Attachment
26/08/2020 02:49:53

Does any own one who can tell me the maximum taper-setting angle engraved on the scale?

Thread: 6" Stainless Steel Pipe
19/08/2020 03:13:20

Thanks guys but you're not telling me anything I don't already know. Ring-rolling has already been tried with unacceptable results. Pipe ONLY or machined from plate (way TOO expensive). Odd-ball OD's are not uncommon in the oil and gas/chemical industries as are mixed systems of measurement. I am in New Zealand so these potential sources are scarce to put it mildly. My request still remains open.

Thread: Taiwanese ME Forum members
12/08/2020 06:26:44

Anyone here from Taiwan? Let me know.... Cheers.

Thread: 6" Stainless Steel Pipe
12/08/2020 06:25:03

Can anyone help? I'm after a 15mm wide slice of 6" Outside Diameter (NOT I.D.!) Stainless Steel pipe, approx 4-5mm wall thickness. Not having much luck up to now. Cheers.

Thread: EMCOSTAR Universal Combination Woodworking Machine
15/07/2020 03:21:39

Does anyone own one of these most useful machines who can measure the exact factory-length of the two round bed rails and tell me. On my machine I suspect the previous owner may have shortened them and I would like to know.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the original owners manual they could scan for me?

Many Thanks.

Edited By Andre ROUSSEAU on 15/07/2020 03:26:08

Thread: Sourcing an elusive Rubber-Ring!
02/11/2019 02:26:07

Hi, I'm trying to track-down what has, so far, proven to be an elusive rectangular-section rubber ring of 36mm O.D. x 28-30mm I.D. x 5mm thick.

This is not available via regular inquiry in New Zealand yet I am confident that there is one here. It will likely be amongst the inventories of the automotive/truck/motorcycle spare-parts trade, probably to be found in obscure places in vehicles, e.g. washer bottles, light escutcheons, etc, etc. However, if you can't quote a part number no-one will even bother to look on the shelf so this line of inquiry is a waste of time.

Does anyone mess about with these vehicles for whom a ring of these dimensions rings a bell? A location-description, vehicle model type and year would be the minimum information I want. A specific part-code would be Christmas and New Year as well.

Any offerings? Cheers.

Thread: EGAMASTER 'MasterGrip' Pipe-Wrench or clones
07/09/2019 01:27:19

Hi Jason, Thanks. Well aware of RIGID. Their's is the same wrench, just over-badged as a 'Rapid Grip'. The issue is not availability, it's price. Not required for trade use so exorbitant prices for an otherwise little-used tool aren't a go'er.

The tool is Taiwanese-made by an outfit called "INFINITOOLS" ( infini-tools.com ). Problem is they don't sell at retail level and will only supply commercial quantities, nevermind the share difficulties involved in individual purchases from Taiwan and the eye-watering shipping cost. ALIBABA is the best bet - just haven't found a supplier (yet!).

Cheers.

29/08/2019 05:41:31

Can anyone help?

I am trying to find the Asian (or other) supplier of the EGAMASTER 'MasterGrip' 18" Pipe-Wrench or an identical clone. Images can be found on their web-site: egamaster.com, see: and the 18";

For practical purposes I need to order through Alibaba, AliExpress or some other southern hemisphere supplier to limit (some will ship for free!). And yes, I've looked. So far, nothing comes close. In the meantime EGAMASTER in their wisdom, have discontinued the product but I am sure there must be other suppliers or else run-out (I'd even be happy with an un-butchered used item) stock still on shelves. The all-up price I would have expected to pay is <NZ $40.

Can anyone suggest a supplier and provide valid link?

Many thanks for your help.

Thread: EUREKA Gear-Tooth Relieving Attachment - Ancient History....
14/08/2019 05:20:04

Hi Guys, Errata: something weird happened with that U.S. Patent link in the body text when my message posted.

Try this: https://patents.google.com/patent/US573174

Enjoy!!

14/08/2019 02:25:58

Hi Guys,

With a great deal of bemusement I have been watching the reply-posts richocheting back-and-forth, with the proverbial 'ping-pong' ball being a certain Stephen M. Balzer. Unless the respondants are keeping a straight face none have given any indication of 'twigging' to the considerable hiistorical significance of this man.

He was the other half of the Manly-Balzer combo to whom are attributed the creation of the Radial Internal Combustion aero-engine for aircraft. I resist saying "inventor" because Manly was not, albeit he subsequently was granted a number of engine-related Patents. The engine patent is assigned to Balzer [https://patents.google.com/patent/US573174?oq=ininventortephen+ininventor:Balzer] but he failed to resolve its considerable shortcomings when attempting to power LANGLEY's "AERODROME" aircraft so Langley's assistant, Charles Manly was drafted in to sort the problems out and forever after has shared equal billing with Balzer as the joint creator.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manly%E2%80%93Balzer_engine

The virtually unknown previous association with the ratcheting milling-cutter relieving attachment is yet another feather in his cap and attests to the capabilities of this uniquely talented and resourceful individual. A shame not more has been written about him.

All the information, attachments and links are greatly appreciated and have done much to 'lift the veil' on this piece of unique historical engineering obscurata. Keep it coming if you discover more. Thanks again.

07/08/2019 06:32:52

The 'modern' history of the EUREKA Gear-Tooth Relieving Attachment began, I believe in the mid-late 1980's arising from an M.E. PostBag letter [someone confirm the date/Issue No.] from a New Zealand (my country!) reader including a copy of a page from a very old machinists' tools catalogue [does anyone have that copy?] and accompanied by that old chestnut; "What is it?"

The M.E. brains trust (Professor D.H.Chaddock & Ivan Law) got to work to crack the puzzle and eventually nutted out how the thing worked ..... and the rest, as they say, was history. now a widely disseminated and equally widely used device.

But insofar as I know, no-one ever did solve the actual mystery of ther true origin of this most ingenious attachment. As far as I know, no Patent has ever surfaced, no country of origin, no confirmed dates and of course, no inventor's name!

Or am I wrong? Can anyone fill-in these missing historical blanks as it seems to me to be rather odd to be using a device for which no-one seems to have bothered to dig-up the appropriate attributions to its rightful creator.

I confess to teasing you a little. It seems to have had its origins with the Balzer Rotary Milling Cutter Relieving Attachment:-

https://www.csparks.com/VanDervoort/index.xhtml

His corresponding Patent refers:-

https://patents.google.com/patent/US535127?oq=535127

.... but still, I'm not quite sure. It's certainly not identical. Can anyone zero-in on the true history. Answers please.........

Thread: Russian Aeromodellers, contact sought....
12/06/2019 07:20:22

I would like to contact any Russian Aeromodellers with a good grasp of Russian aviation history. English is not necessarily a pre-requisite - I speak fluent "GOOGLE-Translate" Russian!! (I'm sure we'll work it out!).

Thanks.

Thread: Russian Engineers with Aviation Interests......
04/02/2019 01:42:49

I would like to contact any engineers in Russia (or can you refer me to any?) who have historic aviation interests or who know others who do. I am attempting to do some research into earlly Russian aviation propeller technology and am hoping I can find someone who may wish to correspond. Don't worry, your bad English will probably be 10x better than my bad Russian! Between ambiguous sentences and a bad dose of "GOOGLE Translate" I'm sure we'll manage to work out what the other is saying!

Thanks.

Thread: Involute, Circular Gear-Cutter on Eccentric Arbor...
23/01/2019 04:08:24

Thanks everyone for the great spread of replies, liked Neil's interesting variation on the theme.

Yes, John Stevenson was a very prolific contributor to engineering topics but particularly because he seldom re-gurgitated old ideas, nearly new and original every time. I was well aware of his contribution to the topic before I placed my post but for all who are interested you can peruse these links:-

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/42051-A-form-tool-for-gearcutting

....and-

https://metalwebnews.com/howto/gear/gear1.html

Thanks again.

By the way, I suspect that most of you posters are in the UK (I'm in New Zealand). I can't resist relating an amusing anecdote to you. Some of you may well know that New Zealand has a mini cottage industry re-building de Havilland Mosquitoes (the production form-tooling/jigs are amazing, by the way). Having witnessed the first public display flight of the first-build I was mightily impressed.....

..... so there I was just about to walk into the local supermarket in Papakura last Wednesday when, what should I hear, but the familiar sound of two roaring R-R Merlins overhead? Yes, it was the latest new-build dH-M doing test-flights. A great sight and as I craned my head skyward I muttered to the guy standing next to me, words to the effect "I bet that'll frighten a few Germans!"

He said something like "Hmmm, Interesting" - but in a thick, German accent and "No", he wasn't having a joke with me!

"Ooops!"

16/01/2019 03:20:04

I am trying to find a comprehensive online web resource giving a full technical description of an (effectively) single-tooth, circular fly-cutter for cutting involute gears using an eccentric arbor. This seems to be a little-known method and is most intriguing. An excellent demonstration of this approach is shown on "myfordboy" YouTube video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zMgJXMHcNs

The obvious advatages are the superior strength of the resulting cutter compared with a conventional straight shank HSS cutter and the avoidance of back clearance facets through the cunning eccentric mounting...

.... neat idea!

Edited By JasonB on 16/01/2019 07:28:55

Thread: "CESTRIAN" Multi-Function Metal-Working Machine
28/11/2018 00:12:35

Thank-you all for the tail-end replies. A special thanks to Clive Foster for his brilliant 'drill-down' analysis of the historical origin of 'traditional' small lathe dimensioning and the stark departure from todays amateur hobby machining requirements (yeah, yeah, yeah I know I'll be accused of being biassed but really, Clive did a great job).

However, I would like to add a further dimension to this issue: DEMOGRAPHICS.

.... we are constantly reminded that our societies have an aging population and most age concern/advocacy groups report that the elderly pension/superannuation incomes are becoming increasingly outstripped by the rising costs of living in most Western countries. Coupled with the explosion in accomodation costs this inevitably means that when faced with the inevitable 'down-sizing' many are faced with little available floor-area to undertake their passion and hobby (which, at that late stage of life I regard as a form of 'life-support'!). So, what to do? Surely the answer is a super-capable, multifunction metal-working machine - the GOLMATIC re-visited for a new age!

I should also add that my last post was becoming a little too long so I left out a few additional details from my small, hobby lathe prescription:-

(i) the bed-shear width should be increased by about an 1" to ameliorate the additional 'lever-arm' moment arising from the increased centre-height.

(ii) the square-section control rod (ie for Forward/Reverse motor operation) should be configured to serve double-duty by means of a rack machined on one side. This rack would engage with a saddle-mounted lever to move this rod axially in order to operate the lead-screw clutch in the head-stock casting. This results in few controls on the saddle, all ergonomically grouped together for ease of operation.

Thread: Deep-Well Ejector....
21/11/2018 03:17:42

I am needing to obtain a deep-well ejector for a water-well of 4" bore. Unfortunately, most of the 'el cheapo' offerings are in cast iron - why any fool would employ this material for immersion in a water well is beyond my comprehension, so don't get me going! However, traditionally these were (sensibly) made in bronze. Does anyone have one surplus to requirements or alternatively, does anyone know of a Chinese supplier. NB The pump people disclaim all knowledge (another great mystery!).

I am in Auckland, New Zealand so a local offering would be a stroke of luck otherwise off-shore supply is fairly reliable these days.

Many Thanks.

Thread: Barry Hare - RR 'Merlin'
21/11/2018 03:10:45
Can anyone help me? I have a need to contact Barry (Barrington) Hare (U.K.), an extraordinaryily talented man whose (rightful) claim to fame is his masterful model reproduction of the ROLLS-ROYCE 'Merlin' aero-engine and latterly, the last great R-R aero piston-engine, the mighty 24-cylinder Sleeve-Valve 'Eagle'. Does anyone have e-mail contact details for him or who else may be able to relay my message to him?
Many Thanks.
Thread: "CESTRIAN" Multi-Function Metal-Working Machine
21/11/2018 00:06:32
Well, it's been a week since I made my first post requesting information on the 'CESTRIAN' m-f metalworker and it's been most informative watching the responses. A special shout-out of thanks to Clive Foster for sharing his experiences with his own CESTRIAN. Clearly, Clive seems reasonably impressed with the machine, just not the lousy build quality. Thanks also to Neil Wyatt (...like I don't know you're MEW Ed!) for revealing the CX16 model code, however SIEG are not guilty. SIEG was actually my own first guess because they make the SU1 universal milling machine which although technically a horizontal milling machine it does seem to possess some traits that may have been inspired by the CESTRIAN.
But I suppose the philosophical question is, "is a multi-function metal-working machine the right choice for me?". Well, firstly the perspective direction from which I'm coming is as a happy owner of an EMCOSTAR Universal Wood-working Machine [Mark 1 model] (though the original owner's manual still eludes my grasp - anyone out there with one looking for a home, just let me know!). My main activity is however, metal-working and the EMCOSTAR is just a supporting adjunct to this, wood being a cheap and easily worked material that can be quickly fabricated into expendable jigs and fixtures, concept prototypes, patterns, etc. If, on the other hand, my principal activity was woodworking, say, fine furniture, cabinet-making, etc I think I would be driven mad by its limitations to the extent that it would spend most of its time living in a dark, inaccessible corner of the workshop. For metal-working I still believe the lathe is King but the 'hobby' size i.e. less than 500mm b.c. is compromised by some poor design features namely: {1} Insufficient centre-height (my recommended minimum: at least 150mm for 300mm b.c. to say, 200mm for 500mm b.c. lathes) without resort to 'gap'-beds (these small lathes are already 'un-rigid' enough as it is! {2} Insufficient spindle bore diameter (nothing less than 26mm!) and {3} insufficient motor power (hat's wrong with 1,000W, at least?). Add to this list, the irrelevance (and 'wear-proneness' of the traditional half-nuts - a rapid motor-reversal feature makes their use for threading redundant albeit there should be a selectable option for 'automatic' high-speed reversing even if a lower spindle speed is engaged for the actual threading cut ..... which leads to a saddle-mounted 'forward-off-reverse' control lever as found on most larger lathes. The deletion of the half-nuts should also lead to the elimination of the saddle traversing rack, replaced with a simple lead-screw mounted control wheel (at the tailstock end) for manual control, as used to be common practice but with a twist that it should be removable to be attached to the leadscrew extension at the headstock end to facilitate milling with the vertical slide thus allowing a slightly more natural view of the machining operation when Z-axis movements are required. A simpler (and more robust) 'full-nut' also makes the installation of the superior inverted-channel (or over-hanging ledge) type of lead-screw protector possible. Why superior? No moving parts! Even better: no obstruction of saddle movement when maching close to the extreme lathe centre-ends e.g. with dead-centre in the spindle nose!
By the way, I'm not dreaming out loud here. Just last week I completed a purchase of a 400mm b.c. x 210mm swing lathe that the Chinese manufacturer is custom-building for me (at a very attractive cost!). This will make all you 'die-hard' mini-lathe users weep: 38mm spindle-bore (wow!), 1,100W variable-speed brushless DC motor (double WOW!!). So you see, anything is possible!
....... speaking of which, if you're still determined to have a CESTRIAN type machine why not form a collective group to nail-down a design (eliminate the compromises and side-step all the build-quality issues!) and have a small run of castings made. Distributed over a group of people this will amortise the foundry costs and make the costs reasonable (some in the group will hopefully have a 3-D printer to produce the patterns). Now there's a thought!
Ventilate this suggestion a bit and see where it leads.....
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest