By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motor protection
02/02/2022 18:12:22

A 16mm shaft is a bit of an odd size, shafts are often 11mm,14mm then 19mm, double check that the shaft is not 5/8” which is 15.875mm. As the frame size is not on the plate then it would be useful to measure the bolt centres for the feet and the height of the shaft Centre from the foot mounting surface. There are plenty of drawings of motor dimensions to be found online and you may be looking at a motor around £100

Mike

Thread: How useful is high 5000rpm spindle speed in a mill
02/02/2022 18:01:46

A 3mm carbide end mill might need 30,000rpm to mill some aluminium at optimum speed, you are more likely to have not enough speed than too much to satisfy the calculated speed. Running slower than the theoretical speed will not do any harm but pay attention to whether the machine will have enough power at slow speeds to drive larger cutters, turning the speed down on an electronic control will also turn down the power available, mechanical speed reduction has the useful effect of multiplying torque and keeping the power up.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 03/02/2022 00:22:41

Thread: Motor protection
02/02/2022 16:38:51

Motors do broadly follow various standards, the motor plate will often have the frame size as one of the parameters and this will define the mountings and shaft size and height. TEC have built a reputation for decent quality and a reasonable price, WEG are also a contender for an attractive price and quality. Google will find suppliers of both.

Mike

Thread: Engineering Industrial Training Board EITB
02/02/2022 13:31:21

My apprenticeship was from sept. ‘72 to aug.’76 run under EITB guidance. The first year was run as a series of 5 week blocks with one block split into 2 weeks welding and 3 weeks sheet metalwork. Three 5 week blocks at the Tech.College were also part of the first year. The second year was when you got to choose which trade to follow and to an extent the most successful in the first year were given first choice. The electrical instructor called me to his office for a talk and from being a passionate metalworker he turned me to the dark side and electrical maintenance. The second year was supposed to be another year in the electrical training workshop with another set of block release at tech. The instructor returned to wales at Christmas and decided to go contracting with his brother so we were sent to the shop floor about nine months early. We moved to various areas in the factory which were all quite different, Press shop, Paint shop, Tool room, and various body build areas which were very different, we were making 5000 Marina bodies a week on one floor and 8 Rolls Royce bodies a day on another. The Rover P6 body was the last floor to run piecework in the factory and was a very different atmosphere, if a machine broke down the operator would be straight round to fetch you to fix the machine but the measured day worker didn’t care and would wait for someone to notice they had stopped. Our apprenticeship finished on your 20th birthday or after three and a half years so being August born I had an extra 5 months on apprentice pay compared to my mates. My absolute hate was the logbook and skill sheet task, I filled most of it in in the last few months with a number of semi fabricated jobs to get the skills ticked off. Some people produced beautifully written and illustrated logbooks but mine was an appalling mess to be hidden from any EITB inspection. I still have my EITB certificate of training somewhere but my indentures mean more to me. I think I still have the EITB module J2 and J22 books somewhere but much of it will be of little use these days.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 02/02/2022 13:32:54

Thread: Forum Posts
01/02/2022 17:23:33

Joe often uses a gentle puff to clear a vice of chips before repositioning a job, if I had air in my workshop I would do the same. As an apprentice blowing down was absolutely forbidden as was any fooling around with compressed air. One of the memorable warnings from the 3 day induction program was the compressed air safety. Pointing a 100psi airline at your skin could cause an embolism that could be fatal, Application of an airline to the rectum was also likely to result in death and I believe such an incident had occurred in the factory many years ago. Cleaning the weld spatter buildup from production jigs was done with a 200psi air blast with dry ice pellets, the noise is unbelievable and the chaps doing it would use foam earplugs and over ear defenders, leather gloves and a full visor and safety glasses and full dust suit hood and hat. The debris was blown out of the automated cells into the gangway where the cleaners would sweep it up with a ride on sweeper. This was a Saturday night job when only maintenance was being done and even if you had a job to do on the area being cleaned you would find something else to do as far away as possible from the area. A shop vac is a safe and effective way to clean machines and workshop after a rake and brush to clear the big stuff. Pick out all the bits you want to keep before they disappear up the vac though, I know this because if have had to go through the contents of the vac tub to recover bits and pieces.

Mike

Thread: Accessing Digital Archive
31/01/2022 20:18:32

Safari works for me, running IOS 15.3

31/01/2022 17:19:39

I can view all issues from No.1. Using my iPad but not with my PC running Win10

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 31/01/2022 17:24:08

Thread: Newton Tesla lathe package
31/01/2022 17:01:35

I may have made an assumption that the NT box EStop will just stop the motor but the additional EStop would stop the CNC as well. In the event of a crisis with the CNC you will have to remember to hit the extra EStop as the NT button will not stop the CNC. As it is likely you will be the only user in your own workshop then the functionality of the 2 buttons will be known but in an industrial situation you would expect hitting the nearest EStop to stop everything.

A VFD normally behaves as though it has an NVR in it so in the event of a power failure or hitting the EStop it will not restart when power is restored, some VFDs have a parameter that will restart the motor when power is restored but this is usually used where no danger will arise from an automatic restart, applications like a pump in a remote unmanned location where it would be desirable to have the pump restart as soon as power is restored. Obviously restarting a manually operated machine unexpectedly could be dangerous.

Mike

Thread: Honda impeller by CNC
31/01/2022 16:39:10

A bit surprising that Honda can’t supply those parts now, I assume they can’t as Stefan is batch making them. Our tool room sometimes did contract work and one job was an impeller but rather larger than a CX 500 one. It was around 3ft in diameter and about a foot deep. They decided to machine it on a Marwin Numerical controlled milling machine which had an Olivetti NC which ran from 8 hole punched paper tape. The Marwin was getting a bit long in the tooth and not a super reliable machine, the axes were all hydraulic rams but the table had a recirculating ball screw with hydraulic motor, the control for each axis hydraulics was a Moog valve. The Marwin was on its best behaviour and ran fautlessly for the 6 weeks that the machining took.

Mike

Thread: How to keep Paint Fresh?
30/01/2022 08:51:35

They say Coleman’s mustard made their fortune from the mustard people throw away, I suspect the manufacturers of paint have made a fortune from the paint left over from a job that ends up never getting used. I have a bin full of paint tins with varying amount of paint after clearing my mothers property, try finding somewhere to dispose of them responsibly.

Mike

Thread: Adcock Shipley Bridgeport motor
28/01/2022 21:17:04

The shellac we used sounds vey like the stuff you have Clive, we baked all our motors to harden the shellac and after baking it had set quite hard. I am not sure what the bake temperature was. I am not so sure as Clive that the connection of the coils doesn’t matter but if if doesn’t run sweetly then swap each winding in turn until it runs best. Motors can run at quite a high temperature without stress, in fact we have had to strip and bake motors that have been flooded to dry them out. Modern motors can run happily at temperatures that would be very uncomfortable to put your hand on for any time but to reach those temperatures they need to run at full load for extended periods. It looks like the star point extraction has gone well so good luck with the final assembly and testing.

Mike

Thread: Newton Tesla lathe package
28/01/2022 17:23:15

Killing the supply to the VFD via a NVR is an effective EStop. It would be best to not use the EStop for stopping the motor unless in an emergency but operating the EStop with the is drive stationary is the same as turning it off. If you are going to work on the drive train then pulling the plug is the ultimate safety device but if the EStop button latches then an accidental restart would be most unlikely as it would require the button to be released the NVR reset and the drive start button to be pressed. Having two EStop buttons that do different things is not ideal but if you can live with the button on the NewtonTesla box only stopping the motor then the NVR can be wired to stop the CNC and the motor. Personally I would invalidate the warranty and open the Newton Tesla panel but I understand the downside of doing this.

Mike

Thread: The demise of UK fossil fuel Power Stations
28/01/2022 15:49:50
Posted by noel shelley on 28/01/2022 10:09:37:

YEP ! Spuds off the flat lands, and fish from Boston ! Noel.

The best chips I have ever had were in a pub near Mablethorpe, we saw the spuds being delivered, no ready prepped chilled chips or frozen there.

Mike

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
28/01/2022 15:44:56

A friend had to climb into a tight corner to do some gas welding, he posted his mate to stand by and turn the bottles off if anything went wrong, I can’t remember what happened but the hoses finished up on fire and the mate panicked and legged it. Don had to extricate himself and turn the bottles off, he was not happy with the mate.

Mike

28/01/2022 13:53:40

Mitering coving was my problem but now I seem to have it cracked, my first job involved a chimney breast which requires three pieces with the correct ends and the correct length, that was probably the peak of my learning curve and scrap production.

Mike

Thread: Adcock Shipley Bridgeport motor
28/01/2022 09:32:13

I think the purpose of the shellac was to stabilise the windings so that the wires could not fret and compromise the insulation, these days it seems to be a liquid epoxy. We used to use a flat cotton tape like the motor in the pictures and the shellac would be absorbed to deny any possibility of moisture being absorbed. We would use an off cut of the winding wire as a needle to thread the tape through the windings, bent to form a blunt end to avoid damaging the windings. The interconnections were made by twisting the ends and flashing them with an oxy-acetylene torch to fuse the connection into a neat ball. To solder the ends to the tails it is easy to burn the insulating varnish off the wire and scrape clean, just scraping is not so easy as the coating used Is extremely tough, if you use a flame use a small one and keep an eye on where you point it.

Mike

Thread: Need to cut long thin strips of steel (& plastic) - e.g. with an angle grinder?
27/01/2022 22:40:36

Well Duncan, conniptions is a new word for me, everyday is a school day.

Mike

Thread: Workbench top
26/01/2022 17:37:13

My bench is seldom seen so the colour tends not to matter too much, it is actually a piece of worktop that is a sort of oatmeal colour. The colour was chosen because it was the cheapest 38mm top in the shop. The vice is mounted on a 8mm thick steel plate and bolted through to the steel frame below, I always mount the vice over a leg for maximum support. When the top becomes too tatty it will get a layer of hardboard and be varnished.

Mike

Thread: Can't disassemble drill chuck
26/01/2022 17:10:37

It may have a retaining screw for left hand running, open the jaws wide and check for a screw into the end of the drive shaft.

Mike

Thread: New highway code rule.
26/01/2022 12:24:39

My eldest son lives in Bristol and has done since he went to university there, they keep moving the goalposts so as soon as you think you know where you are going they change it round. It may not be a problem for much longer as my diesel cars are probably going to be banned so may have to bus or train to visit. I collected a parking ticket once when moving son and girlfriend to new digs, the traffic warden was most apologetic as he had given us as much time as he could and had just written the ticket when we returned, he advised us to appeal and the council cancelled the ticket. My fault really for developing a removal man’s thirst and grabbing a quick cuppa instead of parking the car properly. The motorbike killers used to be Volvo drivers, they seemed utterly oblivious to motorcycles and they rarely disappointed when pulling out of side roads to test your brakes, BMW and Audi drivers now seem to want the top spot for bike killers now. I have joined the BMW drivers now and I hope I still drive courteously and considerately, the car has not changed me I hope.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest