By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coronavirus
18/03/2020 07:43:10

I wonder if bat is off the menu now, the government have banned its sale but will it have lost its attraction?

Mike

Thread: G0704 type milling machine help - motors
17/03/2020 22:16:43

There are probably more users familiar with the Warco WM16 which is broadly equivalent to your mill. People have fitted a 3phase motor and VFD but it doesn’t seem to be an oven ready conversion.

Mike

15/03/2020 22:41:29

I visit my mother daily as she is not in a good place with her mental health, she is 89 years old I shall continue to visit to try and keep her around to see her 90th and hopefully a few more birthdays. Loneliness is a recognised problem for the elderly and isolating them is not going to be helpful and is probably as big a problem as Corona virus. Being a baby boomer who apparently live the life of Riley is not that great, Since I retired my time is taken up with my mother, my mother in law 91 and my youngest son 28. Locking up 70 years old plus people might suit the NHS who couldn’t possibly cope with the potential onslaught if the virus runs free makes logistical sense but it will unleash a mountain of problems if enforced rigidly. Let common sense prevail and minimise contact but keep it human, my mothers doctor regularly promotes the value of people contact for good mental health.

Mike

15/03/2020 17:35:42

Rather partial to Pret A Manger Beurre Jambon, they stretch the Frenchness a bit by making it with Wiltshire ham but still very nice, the cornichons seem to work well despite the thumbs down from previous posters.

Mike

15/03/2020 13:16:14

In DILLIGAF mode here, will not be going shopping until I actually want something by which time I am sure the stores will be resupplied. Bit of a drag having to go shopping as Sainsbury’s have no delivery slots until 3rd of Aprilsad. The supermarkets are having a bumper time at the moment, I suspect it could be followed by a bit of a lull while people work their way through their stock of toilet paper and pasta.

Mike

14/03/2020 18:12:39
Posted by duncan webster on 14/03/2020 12:22:07:
Po

That's why I spent most of my money on beer, fast women and loose motorcycles. The rest, I wasted.

Over here it is beer, loose women and FAST motorcycles, wink wink

Bill

I believe that the beer should deserve an adjective too, strong, tasty etc. wink

How about 'copious beer....' wouldn't apply to me now, as I've got older the capacity for abusing beer has diminished, quite a lightweight now

It’s quite a happy position to be in now that good beer can be found and enjoyed without drinking large quantities, much more wallet friendly too. I was rather surprised on a tour round Hook Norton brewery to find that a modern version of keg ales are now available and they are far more acceptable than the awful 60’s 70’s version. The manager of my local pub was rather wary of putting ales back on after the pub had been run in to the ground, we persuaded him to test some and it’s not working out to bad.

Mike

14/03/2020 12:20:08

I gave my internals an alcohol flush last night, I understand beer is not strong enough to be of benefit, Absinthe is a bit hardcore for me, if it doesn’t come out of a hand pump then it stays in the pub. Beer does make you less concerned though if you have enough of it and the more you have the less concerned you become.laugh

Mike

Thread: Way oil vs Chain bar oil vs motor oil
14/03/2020 11:39:59

Paratac is added to oil to make it stick, chainlube and chainsaw lube are classic applications, slide way lube needs to stay where it’s put but not create sticktion so an interesting combination.

Mike

14/03/2020 09:16:58

I think there was a flaw in my Trident investment strategy, it made me poor and Norman Hyde rich.

Mike

14/03/2020 08:26:24

Remember when Brexit filled the newssmiley

Mike

Thread: Lucky escape.
14/03/2020 00:08:44
Posted by Steviegtr on 13/03/2020 23:22:57:

Scary. I had a fair size boat & gas on board. Always a worry. Trouble with gas is it lays heavy. So must have gone under the floor. Or leaked from there. Hope he had some insurance. We had to get a certificate of safety. Cost £50 every year we had it done. But hey.

Steve.

Apparently the insurance refused their claim. Bastards!

Mike

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
13/03/2020 23:44:45

What is S&R Bill

Mike

Search and Rescue, just worked it outsmiley

Edited By Mike Poole on 13/03/2020 23:46:20

Thread: A free ride to hospital
13/03/2020 23:07:37

The aluminium superstructure of the ships hit by Exocet missiles was blamed for the horrific burn injuries to the crews of the ships attacked in the Falklands war. Aluminium is not an inert material if the right conditions are present.

Mike

13/03/2020 20:00:22

Well despite the piss taking this would seem to be a useful heads up from Noel, although as with others, grinding aluminium was forbidden on any shop grinder but the usual reason was wheel damage. It would seem a thermite reaction can be initiated by accident as Johns incident demonstrates. It would be a wise precaution to clean a linisher before and after any aluminium activity, I would still avoid grinding aluminium on a grinding wheel that is not specifically for aluminium.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 13/03/2020 20:00:45

12/03/2020 11:25:19

Don’t forget to wash your hands after signing the couriers touch screen with your finger or use your own stylus.

Mike

Thread: Nice Myford on ebay
12/03/2020 00:11:19
Posted by Emgee on 11/03/2020 22:50:41:

Nice looking machine but I fail to understand why anyone would fit a VFD controller in such a position, unless they only have a right arm.

Emgee

If you think about it, it is a sensible place to put it, with the buttons on the left of the machine you put your face and body in the firing line of the chuck key you forgot to remove or any part that escapes from the chuck or faceplate. Industrial machines often use a saddle mounted start lever that keeps you in a safe position.

Mike

12/03/2020 00:01:57

I think the metric imperial description is probably misleading, the gearbox for screwcutting is a normal imperial gearbox so it is probably a normal imperial setup with the metric conversion gears as all Myfords could have. It is a commonly held view that Myford never produced a fully metric 7 but fitted metric top slide, cross slide and tailstock barrel but left the leadscrew at 8tpi rather than the nearest 3mm metric. If anyone wants a fully metric machine then I would give this a very close inspection first. Cutting metric screw threads is not a problem on an imperial machine, very close approximations are readily available and are more than close enough for any practical purpose. I doubt that any home workshop could measure the error. It still looks a nice lathe though.

Mike

Thread: Dewhurst switch!
11/03/2020 09:33:09

+1 for Swarfs comment, although the Dewhurst has long been a popular fitment on Myford lathes it does suffer from contact burning as it does not make and break quickly. It also has no overload protection for the motor. They make a useful reversing switch but with a screwed chuck reverse should be used with caution. Reverse is handy for activities like metric screw cutting where you don’t want to disengage the halfnuts but a heavy cut in reverse could unscrew the chuck. Myford did move to using a motor starter rather than the Dewhurst probably because it offers better protection for the operator and the motor which are both absent with the Dewhurst.

Mike

Thread: The last straw!
10/03/2020 17:24:10
Posted by Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:47:28:

You could even drink ftom them.

Plastic drinking straws are a big polluter of our waterways, killing sea animals. There are campaigns here in Aust. to outlaw them and many shops now use paper straws. The "Golden Arches" hamburger chain has yet to take up the challenge.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:48:55

Don’t be in any rush to get the paper ones, they are useless for a milkshake especially if the mix is on the thick side. If people disposed of their waste properly our environment would be safe from plastic. Unfortunately waste collection and recycling are a bit flakey and stuff finishes up in the wrong place and too many people just launch their fast food packaging out the car window. People are the problem but it may be easier to eliminate the plastic rather than educate the morons.

Mike

Thread: Does anyone watch Ades workshop on you tube
10/03/2020 14:04:46

WD40 is available in 5 litre containers with a free pump spray.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest