By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
16/07/2019 10:35:38

Hemingway do a kit for a Gibralter toolpost, could make life easy.

Mike

Thread: An electrostatic mystery ...
15/07/2019 19:19:57

The girls in the trim shop regularly reported getting a shock from their sewing machine, no fault would be found with the machine or it’s earthing so the problem will be the girls clothes and the material they were sewing. My wife and I get shocks when leaving my Ford which has a man made seat covering but my other car with leather seats is no problem. I have on occasions experienced nausea when my bed spins which is most odd as it is very solid, it’s does seem to happen after over doing it down the pubsmiley, luckily it’s a long time since that has happened, seems that drinking responsibly does have advantages.

Mike

Thread: Recent threads
15/07/2019 08:42:41

There seems to be a general acceptance of bad language and the young use it freely in mixed company almost anywhere. A friend had his eyes opened when doing some electrical work at a top girls school in the late ‘60s, he was working within earshot of the girls locker room and was surprised that the young ladies could match the vocabulary of the factory floor or barrack room. Another friend won’t watch Quentin Tarantino films because of the relentless bad language even after a 22 year career in the British Army. Unfortunately bad language has become more common in the pub even in mixed company, the days seem long past when the landlord would warn a customer about their language.

Mike

14/07/2019 18:52:19

I think gentleman defines a man who is well mannered, considerate and conducts himself properly, to me this has nothing to do with class, background or wealth, any man can be a gentleman.

Mike

Thread: DIY magnetic DRO
14/07/2019 18:32:53

Yes Chris that is what you need.

Mike

14/07/2019 16:48:37

Search fo D sub or D subminiature, widely available from electronic suppliers.

Mike

Thread: Electric Cars
14/07/2019 15:09:06

I look forward to trucks being under autonomous control, my trips to Italy last year and this year have both encountered trucks that wander out of their lane, last year I was very close to being the meat in a truck and Armco sandwich hard braking kept me out of a very quickly diminishing gap, the truck driver apologised with a wave and lights flash but it seems there are too many tired or bored drivers in charge of big trucks.

Mike

13/07/2019 21:39:50

The best thing about autonomous vehicles is that you will be able to give the leggy blonde your full attention, at least until the wife gives you a poke in the ribs.

Mike

13/07/2019 18:16:03

Fully automatic vehicles already share the factory floor with other vehicles and pedestrians.

Mike

Thread: Off road bike gates
13/07/2019 13:18:50

Kissing gates and stiles would limit access to pedestrians but as Robert points out it would limit access to other legitimate users. If laws or byelaws are being broken then enforcing them with some prosecutions may deter. Good luck with getting the police interested though.

Mike

Thread: Electric Cars
13/07/2019 10:19:37

One of the factors that makes an electric vehicle viable is the whole life cost of going electric, at the moment the vehicles are more expensive but the fuel is cheaper, if the government move the tax loss from fossil fuel onto electric vehicles then the cost of motoring is going to go up, I doubt that electric vehicles will really get cheaper as the manufactures will try to hang on to as much of any savings as they can. I would think the drive train for an EV is cheaper to make than a petrol or diesel apart from a very expensive battery. Maybe the plan is to price people off the roads. Maybe the future will not be the simple replacement of personal cars, as most of our cars spend the vast majority of their life just parked then maybe shared vehicles or driverless taxis will become common, if the countries vehicle fleet spends its life on the road then we may have clear streets instead of using them as car parks.

Mike

Thread: Fibre optic clock
10/07/2019 23:49:37

Time flies, I followed this from the beginning but you don’t realise when things go quiet, nice to see it pop up again.

Mike

Thread: Five Sided Bolt
07/07/2019 22:23:54

Tamperproof fasteners are a waste of time, almost within hours of them appearing the tool to fit them will appear online, they may deter a a few people but the determined will not be denied.

Mike

Thread: Threaded rod
06/07/2019 08:30:17

On a PC press and hold the ALT key and only on the number pad type 0176 and releases ALT, you should have a ° symbol. On iPhone and iPad tap and hold the Zero pad and slide finger to the pad that appears with the ° symbol remove finger from pad and it should insert the symbol.

Mike

Thread: Mains outlets with USB sockets - safety?
06/07/2019 07:27:07

I charge an iphone7 and iPad simultaneously each night with no signs of distress and no complaint from the devices, as the socket is limited to 2A shared across the 2 USB outlets and current limited then the iPad is probably charged at a slower rate than its maximum. It has worked well for me for a couple of years now.

Mike

Thread: Best instructions
05/07/2019 22:54:36

When all else fails read the instructions.

Mike

Thread: Phillips vs Pozidrive and portable drills
05/07/2019 22:53:07

A friends father was using a Yankee that slipped out of the screw and powered up his nose, ouch!

Mike

Thread: Mains outlets with USB sockets - safety?
05/07/2019 22:49:35

The MK offering is at a premium price but I do like MK stuff and it does seem to last well, it may be a total waste of money but I bought an MK USB socket in the hope I was getting a safe well made and well designed unit but I may have wasted my money. If you kill a £700 phone because the USB fails it could be an expensive buy.

Mike

Thread: Goodwood festival of Speed Coverage
05/07/2019 20:42:58

I went for the day with my son last year, I would recommend going for the long weekend, there is too much to see in a day but we gave it a good go. A fabulous event with a strong smell of serious money but a great spectacle.

Mike

Thread: What do you use your lathe for?
05/07/2019 18:38:01

Would the main difference between a lathe and mill be that on a lathe we rotate the work and on a mill we rotate the cutter, I know that the opposite is possible on both machines but the primary functions are opposite.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
cowbells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest