By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is your spindle bore large enough?
09/08/2019 18:01:53

The job will always turn up that is bigger than your headstock bore, it will be time to get the fixed steady out, the nice thing about a big bore is you won’t need the steady out so often. If the bore size you have is a regular nuisance then maybe a bigger lathe may be required. As a Myford 7 owner with the small bore which is widely derided I have not had to use the steady very much but it will all depend on what you do on your machine.

Mike

Thread: Posilock Chuck
09/08/2019 11:23:48

You must use threaded shank Clarkson type cutters,the design of the chuck relies on the thread to force the internal tapers into position.

Mike

Thread: Lathe - dead centre wont reach the workpiece
09/08/2019 09:00:56

**LINK**

John Stevenson chose a rather drastic solution but not a problem for a man with his skills.

Mike

Thread: Adjustable 3-jaw chuck designs
05/08/2019 17:05:52

Was it not Commander Barker who recommended the undersized register and oversized bolt holes? He maintained that he had never had a chuck move in use while using this technique. I would be slightly wary using a heavy interrupted cut but typical model engineer operations would probably have no problems.

Mike

Thread: RENAULT DAUPHINE
03/08/2019 17:19:59

Just bin the rest of the car and put the Imp engine in a racing sidecar outfitsmiley

Mike

Thread: Any uses for an old tired lathe bed
03/08/2019 16:59:03

Did you replace it because the old bed is beyond being reground? If there is enough meat for a regrind then it may have some value to someone. Maybe a super long bed could be rigged for making cues or the like.

Mike

Thread: Things to Come
02/08/2019 19:32:02

My iPad has no GPS but google maps is near spot on with my location, they know where everybody’s WiFi is and have it mapped, an easy job to work out where you are within a few meters. Sometimes the tech can be useful, I went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed and forgot where I left my car, luckily my phone remembered where it lost the blu-tooth connection with my car and helpfully highlighted on the map where my car was. Would have been handy 35 years ago when I parked at Luton Airport in a bit of a hurry and a week later had to play hunt the car for ten minutes, before the days of remote locking so had to look at all the red cars.

Mike

Thread: Jim Al Kahlili : Revolutions
02/08/2019 17:58:36

To return to the original topic, I have finished watching the car episode and enjoyed it, these programs always leave you wanting more if you have geek tendencies but I doubt the majority of the audience would want that much detail so the programs have to be commended and may whet the appetite of some youngsters to get interested in engineering.

Mike

Thread: Things to Come
02/08/2019 17:35:26

Perhaps they will send me a few free ones for the plug.smiley

Mike

02/08/2019 17:07:20

I go down the pub and talk about all sorts of random rubbish and when I get home Facebook and google bombard me with adverts about my discussion subjects, I must leave Siri at home and see if they still know what I talk about, I tend to use cash down the pub so I doubt they know that Old Speckled Hen is my favourite tipple. Big brother is watching us.

Mike

Thread: Jim Al Kahlili : Revolutions
01/08/2019 17:54:02

Cyclists round here seem to think they are on a somewhat slower Tour de France, a cycle may be a low pollution device but the long queue of cars waiting to get past the peloton are using much more fuel than they would just cruising at a steady speed. The acceleration required to pass safely uses much more fuel than just making steady progress. The big picture is that riding a cycle on narrow roads probably uses more fuel overall than if they used a car, bicycles are probably squandering the earths resources rather than saving the planet.devil

Mike

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
31/07/2019 09:27:48

Broadcast TV is probably going to be a thing of the past in the not to distant future and at the moment blu-Ray and streaming are the only terrestrial options for 4K viewing. We are being pushed more and more into using the internet and todays gadgets like video doorbells and pet cams will become normal and then indispensable. Even those without internet access like my mother and wife’s mother still get things done for them by us so they are not internet free. A home with a couple of kids streaming the films of their choice and adults catching up tv are going to need a decent connection speed, before my youngest son left home and before fibre to the cabinet came to the village we regularly stalled or buffered, I upgraded the day it went live and for a while we had 67Mb but now it is 48Mb, not too worried about that as only two of us in the house now and we can both stream video without problems. It is likely that our consumption of speed will grow even if we are reluctant adopters of the latest tech offerings.

Mike

Thread: Anyone recognise this mains connector ?
29/07/2019 22:12:48

**LINK**

this German supplier still makes these plugs, there is a silicon version to stand 200°C. They are linked to at the bottom of Michaels link.

Mike

28/07/2019 22:33:37

+1 for old style kettle and coffee maker type equipment. Unless you really want to keep it original I would go with Emgee and hard wire it or fit a modern euro style connector, be aware there is a hot condition version with an extra notch for kettles but the regular version is rated at 6A which would be ok for the 900W load you have.

Mike

Thread: R8 spindle advice required
28/07/2019 13:51:41

My VMC has a pin and it is probably only useful for the initial insertion and running down the drawbar, once the drawbar starts to tighten then the taper provides all the friction needed to stop the collet turning.

Mike

Thread: Cleaning a straightedge
28/07/2019 10:59:41

The scourers for not stick pans and baths are non abrasive, these usually seem to be white and the abrasive type seem to be green. The white seem good for getting flies off windscreens and even paint without an harm to glass or paint, not bad on alloy wheels if they are painted type.

Mike

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 08:58:49

I just asked them if that was the one my wife and children were killed in, it went a bit quiet at the other end, I let him off the hook after a few moment of sweat.

Mike

Thread: not tightening
27/07/2019 21:10:41

Just to be pedantic BA is a metric threaddevil but your nut and bolt will need to be a match.

Mike

Thread: DIY magnetic DRO
25/07/2019 22:27:47
Posted by Clive Foster on 17/07/2019 10:53:44:

Nice work Chris.

Soldering and sleeving is indeed tedious.

For future reference crimp type push in connectors are much easier and, if you make a mistake, sorting out is a simple matter of pushing the connector out and popping it back in the right hole. Shells cost little more and crimp tools are, probably, a bit too expensive. Pro ones like mine are far too much! But frustration saved is well worth it if you are doing a few.

I got my tool set years ago from RS components when I had to do about 8 of the big ones. Not cheap but well worth it. I imagine E-Bay et al can offer much better deals now. I imagine crimp contacts could be gently squeezed and soldered rather than properly crimped or you can get solder bucket types. The insertion and extraction tools are cheap, about £5 for the combined tool from RS. Its the crimper that costs.

Clive

You are dead right about crimping Clive but a bit of preparation can make the solder bucket version much less painful, many years ago I made a heavy block with tapped holes for various d-sub plugs, I then tin all the holes and ends of the wires after a light twist to stop any stray strands. A quick touch with a fine point iron and a nice bright secure joint with no bridging to adjacent pins should be achieved. Getting the cable cores the right length will help, too short makes life difficult and too long will leave a lot of cable to try and stuff in the shell. I don’t usually sleeve but I try to minimise any bare cable and not use cable that is too big. It’s always worked for me.

Mike

Thread: Making from castings or scratch build.
25/07/2019 09:36:58

Are you proposing to make your own patterns and castings or machine from solid and fabricate? Some ready made castings can be a bit tight on machining allowances and need a good think before cutting metal.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest