By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Songs about Engineering
27/02/2022 10:52:51

Glen Campbell was not only a good singer, his guitar playing skills as a member of the session band the Wrecking Crew were superb.

Mike

27/02/2022 10:45:50
Posted by Hopper on 27/02/2022 02:31:25:

Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf. Theme song from the movie Easy Rider

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way

Inspired a whole generation of future motorcyclists. Within a fortnight of the movie's showing at our local theatre, we all had homemade extended forks on our push bikes. Totally unsafe made from other fork legs cut off another bike and jammed over our existing fork legs. All held together by gravity and youthful enthusiasm.

A schoolmate of mine fitted the rear wheel from a small wheeled Moulten bicycle to the rear of a standard framed bicycle, to recover the required ground clearance to pedal the creation he cut the rear downtubes off, bent the lower fork down and bolted new longer downtubes in.
Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 27/02/2022 17:53:15

Thread: Is there ever a time to let politics come into the forum
27/02/2022 05:39:19

I suspect most of us will be in broad agreement on the subject of Ukraine but this is not the place to discuss it. I think it is best to lock this thread while we are all still friends.

Mike

Thread: Calculating Mount Point Speeds
25/02/2022 13:29:15

An air powered pencil grinder can run at 60,000 rpm and is a useful tool for small mounted points, buying one specially to run some free points rather negates getting a nice freebie. I would use what you have to run them until you have used them up.

Mike

Thread: stuff that came with my lathe ...
25/02/2022 13:16:06

I would not part the metric conversion set from the gearbox even if you think it unlikely you will use it. The 4jaw is a definite keeper as it is the most versatile chuck and can hold any shape of stock material and many irregular castings, each jaw is reversible independently which can be useful sometimes. Unless you would rather use the cash raised for other purposes the better a lathe is equipped the more versatile it becomes. If you dispose of the equipment you regard as surplus then it will be near certain a job will come along that needs it. I have to fight my inner hoarder but I would keep it all.

Mike

Thread: How can I cut a 0.75mm radius on a piece of soft rubber sheeting?
25/02/2022 00:28:05

I think cutting an accurate radius will need to be ground or the rubber to be frozen and then cut, trying to cut rubber at room temperature will run into the problem that the rubber distorts before it cuts so the cut surface will have an undercut caused by the rubber yielding before the cut takes place. This is a tiny radius and it would be interesting to know why it needs to be accurate, Rubber being an elastic material is rather tricky to produce to an accurate dimension.

Mike

Thread: Songs about Engineering
24/02/2022 12:10:28

Early Einstürzende Neubauten songs had a very industrial sound, much of the sound was produced with scrap metal.

Mike

Thread: Front door locks
22/02/2022 11:26:18

I worked with a chap who had an implant in his hand to operate his front door lock, electronic locks are increasingly popular as many hotels have embraced them. The RFID tags are very effective access control and even if a tag is lost or compromised it can simply be deleted to restore security. They could be issued to carers and the window of access programmed for their appointment times and days only. Center Parcs have installed a RFID system that controls accommodation access, swimming pool lockers and can be linked to a bank card for cashless payments to in pool refreshment facilities. The tag is contained in a wristband that can be worn in water. The company I worked for had a photographic ID card that contained a tag and gave out of hours access to the plant, vending machines and canteen checkouts also used the system. It also controlled access to restricted areas. Lost cards could be easily deleted and new ones created very quickly. One hotel I have used controls lift access from the lobby with your room card but once you have been admitted lift access is not controlled so if you lock your card in your room you can return to reception.

Mike

Thread: Tracy Tools Delivery
19/02/2022 17:16:39

Our postie Tracey was out yesterday morning, the storm had yet to reach maximum power but still decidedly breezy.

Mike

Thread: Spectacles
18/02/2022 22:13:14

Some of these magnifying units make you look as though you have been assimilated into the Borg collective.

Mike

Thread: Acoustic Damping/Attenuation
15/02/2022 10:53:44

Cars are fitted with self adhesive pads of a rubbery/ pitch like material to stop the sheet steel from drumming. It must be effective or they wouldn’t spend money fitting them but the size shape and location will have been tested for effective control. I suppose there are two approaches, solve the source of the trouble or control the effect.

Mike

Thread: What is this?
11/02/2022 21:04:00

A quick Google shows many pictures of exactly that design so it must play some part in uniform maintenance.

Mike

Thread: I am getting shorter - how about you.
10/02/2022 15:04:19

My hair has migrated from my head to my ears and eyebrows, not too worried about losing my hair but appearing at new sites I could do without.

Mike

Thread: Tee slot clamps similar to mole grips
10/02/2022 14:41:27

Toggle clamps are a useful item, really intended for production type jigs rather than general purpose clamping but they come in a wide variety of configurations and can make a quick job of a special setup if you ever get involved in making a big batch of something.

Mike

Thread: What happened to factory rejects?
09/02/2022 23:37:39

I had an interesting conversation with a chap who ran a machine shop and had a contract to machine exhaust manifold castings for a well known premium brand car. He lost the contract to a Chinese machine shop, the price they charged was hugely attractive but the reject rate was also huge but was still worth it to the end user who had to inspect every component.

Mike

Thread: Tee slot clamps similar to mole grips
09/02/2022 16:35:45

Drill table clamp

Axminster do these but really meant for drill table slots with access below the table.

Mike

Drill clamp machine mart

Alan has pointed out below that the same clamp is available from Machine Mart, if these are what you are looking for machine mart are rather cheaper and look identical, top tip from Alan.

Edited By Mike Poole on 09/02/2022 16:55:25

09/02/2022 11:08:26
Posted by Hopper on 09/02/2022 09:36:55:

The soles of your feet wear down from all that walking at one end. The top of your head wears down from all that head-scratching at the other. In the middle, plastic deformation causes length to shorten as width increases as we get squashed down by the pressures of life.

Do you get taller in Australia as you are upside down all the time? My uncle moved to Australia as a young man and many years later returned to the UK for a visit, he was by now sporting a bald head and one comedian in the pub said I know Australia is upside down but didn’t realise you walked round on your heads.smiley

Mike

Thread: Hermes and couriers
09/02/2022 10:56:09

Communications from the council are accompanied by a leaflet with a translation into numerous languages, I wonder why they go to such trouble and expense when I feel the onus should be on the recipient to translate if they do not understand it. Since my son moved to Wales I have become a more regular visitor and find the dual language road signs take longer to assimilate than if they were just in Welsh, I drive in many European countries and do not have a problem as I have learned what most of them mean over the years so adding Welsh should not be too much of a challenge. I was talking to a Welsh friend a few days ago and he said the Welsh language was forbidden in school when his father was a child and any child using Welsh would be ridiculed. He said there is a whole generation who were more or less forbidden to use the Welsh language. It would seem that their culture was rescued just in time.

Mike

08/02/2022 21:03:41

You may be at your tallest when you get up in the morning, good time to weigh yourself too.

Mike

08/02/2022 19:17:27

I may be getting shorter but my waist is getting bigger, anyone worried about losing height should get their platform shoes out from the 70s.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest