By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machine mart
13/01/2020 18:30:07

I have had good service from Bearing Boys, they supply TEC motors which are good motors at good prices. I have a 1.5kW one fitted on my mill waiting for me to pull my finger out and build a panel for the Lenze inverter.

Mike

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
12/01/2020 09:25:56

A 127 tooth gear will produce metric threads with zero error but it is difficult to incorporate it into a practical gear train on most lathes. In the real world there are many gear trains that will cut a metric thread that is close enough for all practical purposes, the error will not be measurable unless you have access to a serious metrology lab. There are many documented gear trains for metric threads which will save the bother of working them out for yourself.

Mike

Thread: What Vice should I buy (2019)
11/01/2020 21:52:08

A pair of vices can be useful rather than a single very big vice, a large heavy parallel is handy for setting and trueing them.

Mike

Thread: To use chuck or collets
11/01/2020 21:41:30

There are plenty of options available for work holding in the Myford. The regular 3 jaw chuck will do many tasks and it’s inherent inaccuracies will not matter for many jobs. A job that can be fully machined without removal from the chuck will not care how accurate the chuck is. If a part is already partly machined then it is unlikely that remounting it in the three jaw will have perfect concentricity, depending on the job this may or may not be acceptable. A collet may have acceptable runout but again may not be perfect, a four jaw independent could be adjusted to near perfection but this will be a test of your perseverance. For the Myford a number of collet options are available. Myford made a collet system with fixed size collets so you will be limited to the fixed sizes, these are not currently in production so assembling a set can be difficult and expensive, the nice feature was that they are tightened and released by a holder that fits the nose thread. Another system of fixed sizes uses a drawbar to tighten but this precludes using stock longer than the collet as the drawbar occupies the through hole. A few ER options are available, one screws directly to the nose but ultimate concentricity will depend on how well it was made, a version is available to fit to a backplate and this can be adjusted to your satisfaction, yet another version is mounted on a morse taper with a drawbar which again precludes use of long bars. A griptru version of the three jaw is available and this can be adjusted to your satisfaction but will probably only repeat at that diameter. Many jobs will not need removing if the sequence of operations is planned properly but of course some jobs will need to be reset. Turning between centres should allow accurate removal and replacement and also swapping end for end. Working preferences also come into play as some prefer a chuck for everyday use and others like collets. The way things go you will probably venture into both systems and find which you get along with.

Mike

Thread: Swindon Steam
11/01/2020 20:24:30

While the family shopped at Swindon Outlet Village I popped round to Swindon Steam. The workshop was quite fun with the line shafting in motion driving some machines. A very long wooden box with a 12ft vernier caliper caught my eye which consisted of a very substantial beam which suggested that the item to be measured was brought to the caliper, it also appeared that the beam might be supported on its Airey Points or whichever point are most appropriate for this application. I wonder when it was last calibrated?

Mike

Thread: Electric motor ratings
11/01/2020 08:12:56
Posted by not done it yet on 10/01/2020 22:22:48:

Hence it is kg, not KG. Everything else falls into place quite well using upper and lower case multipliers. But I don’t think they will ever decimalise our normal time units.🙂

a time and motion man has a watch that uses centiseconds, make it easy to add all the increment of a task together apparently.

Mike

Thread: VFD Question
10/01/2020 22:42:32

The 87Hz trick is a useful one for an inverter with a 415v output. Inverters believe what you tell them.

Mike

Thread: Co2 emissions.. Steam or diesel best?
10/01/2020 20:04:58

The main problem is over population of the planet, luckily nature may sort this out when antibiotics stop working and a plague rips through the population. Nature will look after us or maybe god will sort it out. Zager and Evans made a nice song but it’s beginning to be quite prophetic.

Mike

10/01/2020 19:38:15
Posted by old mart on 10/01/2020 18:09:41:

I remember occasionally starting up the compressor at the plating works back in the 60's. It was manual start, and it had a lever which you pulled up to get the thing rotating at about 200 rpm and then down quickly before it stalled. It would run normally after that. I was told that it started in star, then went to delta.

Ellison made starters like that, many of the old presses used them to start the main motor, it seemed to take forever to accelerate a few tons of flywheel before you could flip it over into delta. The last presses I had much to do with were 1000 ton British Clearings, the 180hp DC motor was controlled by a Thorn Stardrive, I had a course for a few days on that in wonderful Rugely, it must have been money well spent because I don’t remember either of the two systems we had breaking down. The other presses on the line were hydraulic, the lead off press was 2000 ton and had 5 200hp swashplate pumps and each pump could shift 760 litres a minute of extremely thick oil. 5000 gallons of that oil was contained in the crown of the press. Quite an awesome sight to watch 50 tons of slide being powered up and down 10 times a minute.

Mike

Thread: Emergencies / Braking
10/01/2020 11:06:34

A hole in the wall would allow long stock or job to be mounted, of course rather depends on what is the other side of the wall.smiley

Mike

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
10/01/2020 10:21:50

As a schoolboy I was threatened that I would finish up in the car factory if I didn’t work harder. The teachers had no idea what went on in a car factory and most of them had never done anything that wasn’t school. Although it was a grammar school it fortunately for me had inspirational metalwork and woodwork teachers. Predictably I finished up in the car factory serving the best apprenticeship in the area by far. I must say I enjoyed every minute of my 44 years there but now retired on a very reasonable pension so it all worked out well. I wonder if jobs still exist that make you want to go to work rather than stay in bed?

Mike

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
10/01/2020 10:03:42

Working in a car factory which used to be a very male environment imagine the surprise when a “lady” turned up for an interview for the post of electrical training instructor. The powerful handshake and deep voice raised a few suspicions. It’s probably fortunate for he/she that they were not offered the post as what we are becoming accustomed to today and largely accept as normal was definitely unusual in the early 80s and the apprentices and maintenance guys would have been unmerciless. I wonder if ladies are advised to adjust their dress before leaving, a friend failed to advise his wife her dress was tucked in to her knickers, I wonder if the laugh was worth the bollocking?

Mike

09/01/2020 12:55:15

A star delta starter reduces the current because the motor is rated at 415v in delta and about 718v in star so as we only have a 415v supply then the current will be reduced in star which is handy for starting but the torque will also be less. The motors we typically use for small inverters are 415v in star and 220v ish in delta and cannot be used for star delta starting on a 415v supply. The torque is not a function of being configured in star or delta but having the correct voltage for the configuration.

Mike

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
09/01/2020 09:29:16
Posted by Paul M on 09/01/2020 09:14:23:

I am still in discussion with my employer regarding, which newspaper and the size of the squares, and whether to use string or nylon cord. No British Standards seem to have been published.

The Guardian would give me the most pleasure in this application.smiley

Mike

09/01/2020 05:05:49

The fitting of the loo roll came up in an office discussion, my boss preferred the non wall side as do I, but his wife invariably fitted it wall side. They had a long and happy marriage so it didn’t cause any great problems.

Mike

Thread: Stuck Chuck
08/01/2020 20:35:18

A square drive screwdriver in a carpenter’s brace can shift a lot of tight screws. An impact driver seems a big expense for one job but it will be useful on other jobs sooner or later.

Mike

Thread: Anyone with a surface grinder near Leeds?
06/01/2020 12:56:00

Hand lapping can often be used rather than a surface grinder but it is much easier if you can access a grinder.

Mike

Thread: Amolco Mill
03/01/2020 22:00:01

The classic chuck for screwed shank cutters was the Autolock by Clarkson, a number of others were compatible like the Osborn and Dormer versions and others like Posilock. If you are going to buy a chuck then the ER type has largely superseded the Autolock type. These will hold the screwed shank and plain shank cutters, properly tightened the ferocious grip of the collet should not have any concerns of the cutter moving. The ER is available on morse shanks and also the Myford nose fitting. The Myford collets are expensive and only effective on the size they are made for, a quarter inch collet will not be effective on a 6mm cutter. New ones are hard to find as I think they are pretty much obsolete. Most people seem to have migrated to the ER system typically ER25 orER32 for the Myford nose fitting. The Autolock chucks come in a couple of sizes and the small one up to 5/8 or 16mm would be most appropriate. The collets are only for one size of shank and metric and imperial sizes were available. ER collets typically have a 1mm range but are most effective at their maximum size, metric and imperial collet are available.

Mike

Thread: Cast Iron Watch Case
03/01/2020 18:21:16

I suppose the classic materials like gold, silver, stainless steel etc. Have stood the test of time. A wrist watch is going to have to survive sweat on a hot day and that can be pretty corrosive. A pocket watch will also be handled on a regular basis and the sweaty mits problem will be there. Plating can be used to improve the resistance of baser metals as well as decorative effect. Nickel affects some people adversely so may not be a good idea. Titanium can be very attractive but is not exactly cheap.

Mike

Thread: Myford super 7B Chuck threads
02/01/2020 13:57:49

The critical parts of a backplate are the register surfaces, the face surface and the accurate diameter of the spindle nose, a tight thread is likely to conflict with the registers so up to a point a loose fitting thread is desirable.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest