By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay
24/04/2020 10:28:40

If “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” then shouldn’t Moore and Wright and Starrett be worried? I suppose M&W are already producing their own fakes as are Britool

Mike

Thread: getting MT3 tools to release from the taper on mill spindle
23/04/2020 22:29:14

Ega’s solution is very elegant and is likely to be suitable for most spindles which are unlikely to be too hard to tap. When I bought a mill I was sure that it would not have a morse taper spindle and went R8, the reason was that I had a Rodney with a 2 morse spindle, by the time I owned this the Myford collets were hard to find and expensive, the finger type morse collets seemed like a solution. I erred on the side of a bit tight with the drawbar and soon found just how reluctant they can be to release if given a bit to much on the drawbar. Although the finger collets also fit my Myford I moved on to an ER chuck which also has the benefit of retaining the through spindle facility although this Is minimal on the small bore Myford. As I still have the Rodney I may try ega’s type of conversion just for fun as now I have a mill it is retired.

Mike

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay
23/04/2020 11:41:57

I doubt that any indicator could be relied on to measure accurately as this is not really its function, a dial gauge should be much more accurate if taking a measurement is required.. That could still be a useful tool if the mechanism is smooth and sensitive. Clocking a vice or setting a four jaw could well be within is useful function.

Mike

22/04/2020 22:33:44

Every bearing manufacturer stress not transmitting force through the balls of a bearing when fitting, this applies to pressing as well as striking. Taper rollers will probably tolerate more abuse than a ball race but is must be a practice to be avoided if possible. Ideally a self ejecting drawbar will not put any force through the bearings. Supporting the spindle so the force of the blow does the work of driving out the taper tool rather than impacting the bearings. If a taper is stuck hard then a support block to the table could be very helpful at directing the force to the taper rather than bouncing the spindle in its bearings. I found many years ago that a solid block to the ground under a steering arm greatly assists in breaking the taper of the ball joint.

Mike

Thread: Oil at $10 a barrel... or less
22/04/2020 12:50:52

They could pay me to store some fuel in my carsmiley

Mike

22/04/2020 12:45:37

I thought the point of copper mallets and soft drifts was to avoid damage to the end of a shaft. Applying a shock with a steel or copper mallet still puts a shock force through a very small point of contact in the case of a ball race. It would be interesting to see what the difference is between a blow from the same weight mallet of different materials.

Mike

Thread: Central heating woes.
21/04/2020 07:21:07

My boiler has an automatic air bleed which after 24 years had decided to leak, now I tightened the cap it doesn’t leak or auto bleed any more, ought to sort that out I suppose.

Mike

Thread: Ace Myford S. 7 mod
19/04/2020 20:20:55

I keep a grub screw in holes that collect crud, the screw still needs cleaning to remove but it’s not a problem.

Mike

Thread: Myford ml10 vertical milling slide
19/04/2020 10:17:19

I have a Rodney and the compound milling slide and while both have done the job a milling machine does trump both. I was pleased that a Rodney was included with my Myford but after using it a mill rose rapidly up my wish list. The answer to your post must be the plain slide but if possible I would get a mill onto the wish list.

Mike

Thread: Only for Myford lathes
19/04/2020 09:11:13

Triumph must have kicked themselves after having converted to UNF and UNC the world switched to metric. I suppose Myford were finding that the price of imperial fasteners and tooling was rising with decreasing availability so quietly fed in a few metric substitutes. The decline in sales would also mean that they would not be buying in large quantities so not much discount available there either, a vicious spiral.

Mike

19/04/2020 07:33:40

I have a feeling that Myford did start sneaking a few metric threads onto their lathes. The Allen screws that hold the headstock to the bed were changed to 8mm at some point. The screw holes provided on the flat surface on the back of the bed for mounting the taper turning attachment were 6mm on my bed I think, I could not get a 1/4BSF screw to start so thinking it was probably just paint and crud I ran a 1/4BSF tap in, it took a bit more than muck out though. 6mm is 1mm pitch which is 25.4tpi and 1/4BSF is 26tpi so they are very close. I finished up running the tap through all of the back pad holes as having one odd one would be a nuisance. Not good practice but I think they are so close in pitch and the slight increase in diameter has probably left a useful thread in the holes. The screws on my cross slide are a mixture of 2BA and 5mm the gib adjusters are 2BA and the slide locks are 5mm. This is the long cross slide on a ML7R and is definitely as it left the factory.

Mike

18/04/2020 22:57:49

The hole is for the travelling steady, it is a single bolt fixing. Be careful that it is not 1/4” BSF.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=85707

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 18/04/2020 22:59:16

Edited By Mike Poole on 18/04/2020 23:02:50

Thread: Myford Mk1 Super 7 restoration
18/04/2020 20:10:24

The screw holes in the motor are original as foot mounting or resilient mounting were both possible.

Mike

Thread: Bending Stainless
18/04/2020 19:27:02

A friend of mine pointed out to me that stainless is a very ductile material, his example was the deep draw of a stainless steel sink which is done in one strike of a press. Of course work hardening especially of some grades is a very real problem frequently encountered.

Mike

Thread: Does CNC use a DRO
18/04/2020 18:44:45

Haven’t heard about Posidata in a long time, we had six installed on an under frame welding machine to control the motion of the motorised weld guns, it was not a success, probably because weld guns can stick to the panel and this either stalls the drive or pulls the weld cap off which usually results in a flood of water even though these days flow and pressure sensors should detect this and turn the water off. Gemdrives replaced the Posidata controls and were far better. Time flies, that was nearly 40 years ago!

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 18/04/2020 19:01:03

Thread: Aging rubber and plastic
18/04/2020 18:15:59

Mine were Clark’s as wellsad

Mike

18/04/2020 15:16:59

My favourite shoes were being replaced with a newer model so I stocked up, a couple of years later I dug them out of the wardrobe, a couple of hours later I thought my foot felt a bit strange, the sole and upper had parted along the stitch line like a tear here. The shop were not very interested although I got a discount on a new pair. It is not an unknown problem but does not affect shoes that are worn regularly. There seem to be lots of issues with the long term stability of some plastics, foam often crumbles to dust and soft grip often goes sticky.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 18/04/2020 15:20:27

Thread: Does CNC use a DRO
18/04/2020 10:17:08

Robots, which at the end of the day are a CNC machine usually have resolvers built into the motor so to some extent they are open loop as the end effector position is only guaranteed if the drive train is in good working order. The servo system only guarantees the motor has turned. Stepper drives in their basic form are totally open loop so in theory they can be stalled and lose position. A well specified drive should not lose steps in normal operation but a crash may cause a problem, but then rereferencing will be the least of your problems. Some steppers have an encoder built in to check the motor is in position but I think it just alarms if steps are lost. It is important to keep the machine in good mechanical order if steppers are used, any backlash in the drive train will not be compensated for but in a full feedback system backlash will cause problems like oscillation so an automatic machine must be setup properly and well maintained. Choosing the right motor is important to avoid problems.

Mike

Thread: Apollo in real-time
17/04/2020 13:13:36

About 1 hour until separation from the lunar module, 50 years ago now.

Mike

Thread: Direct morse taper collets
17/04/2020 13:03:40

It’s worth considering how to eject the finger type collets, they can get very firmly fixed if they are tightened too much. The advantage of the Myford type is they eject when the nut is unscrewed. Some machines have a drawbar that is trapped and will eject the collet when unscrewed. If the spindle has ball races then there is a risk of damage if the drawbar has to be struck to release the collet, taper rollers are more robust due to the rollers having a line contact compared with the minuscule area of a ball. The tightening dilemma is when is tight enough to hold the job or cutter without risk of coming loose and not so tight it becomes a mission to remove. I would be inclined to make the drawbar to self eject if using these collets.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest