By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Startrite Drill Press(benchtop) - stuck chuck
23/09/2019 20:32:37

The shiny part shielding the top nut appears to have been added, if you remove the screws holding it it may give you the access you need.

Mike

Thread: An astronomical model in New Scientist
23/09/2019 16:56:43

I shall be keeping an eye on this season drift. Will this forum still be going for me to report backsmiley

Mike

Thread: Myford vfd
23/09/2019 08:45:57

As John says you will need to change the motor but it will be well worth it, the machine will be smoother and can be programmed to slow quickly though if you have a clutch then that it not such an advantage. Being able to make slight adjustments to the speed can often improve the finish. Easy reverse is another advantage but be wary of unscrewing the chuck. Complete ready to go packages are available which save some work and provide a well engineered solution, probably not expensive if you build your own to an equivalent standard.

Mike

Thread: Alternative metal sources?
22/09/2019 23:00:04

At the £0 price point material must be worth a try, if the exchange of drinking vouchers is involved then knowing what you are buying is a good idea. If it’s free and rubbish then you have wasted a bit of time and effort, if it works out well then happy days. Buying an unknown that turns out bad is an expensive lesson.

Mike

Thread: TPH machine tools Essex
22/09/2019 22:48:59

It would seem from a quick google search that a website for TPH is alive but the company was dissolved in Feb 2019. If they answer the phone then you may find the truth but be careful.

Mike

Thread: Brown & Sharpe 2L surface grinder - drive gear teeth pitch?
21/09/2019 12:08:17

It might be worth investigating how the first tooth got broken, it does seem reasonable that some of the damage has been caused by the initial event. If the reversal is savage rather than smooth then maybe there is a fault. Worth checking I think or your repair or replacement may soon look like it does now.

Mike

Thread: Dumb question from a none driver
21/09/2019 10:41:55

It’s unlikely the vehicle the police are using is owned by them or that they are the registered keeper. I rented a car from the company I worked for and was never the registered keeper or the owner. Perhaps they should ask what they want to know which is do you have the owners permission to use this vehicle.

Mike

Thread: Surface plates
20/09/2019 15:50:41

Of course once you have a surface plate if you want to do anything apart from just blue it up and check for flatness then you will need some accessories, many of them are already likely to be around like angle plates and vee blocks but there are plenty of other toys that go nicely with a surface plate and can make it into a very useful addition to the workshop. I know a guy who insisted on having one on his bench when a new workshop was set up but that was how he worked and after 35 years why change?

Mike

Thread: Propane regulator with intentional restriction?
20/09/2019 11:31:26

Mind you don’t suffocate yourself with a CO2 extinguisher.

Mike

20/09/2019 11:27:17

I suppose a surface plate is useful if the work you do and the way you work makes one useful. A vernier or digital height gauge is much more useful if you have a flat surface to use it on. Machine tables and plate glass are handy if you don’t have a surface plate but there are no tee slots in a surface plate. DROs on machines can save a lot of marking out. The surface gauge was a classic apprentice piece and I suppose that was because it was likely to be useful and the expectation was that a surface plate would be readily available and they certainly were in the tool room I worked in although being an electrician the were only useful for homers like checking the cylinder head of my motorcycle was flat (it wasn’t) .

Mike

Thread: Propane regulator with intentional restriction?
18/09/2019 19:59:11

Will it go to 11? smiley

Mike

18/09/2019 14:55:53

The edges of my surface plate appear to be machined to a high standard but not ground, although it can be useful to use the edge as a reference when marking out (and the pins on a surface gauge can be useful to allow this) I don’t think they are included in the specification for the surface of the table. For average home workshop uses they are probably straight and square enough but if you are working at a high level then it may matter. Calibration only seems concerned with the surface and not the edges. Straight and square will need to be obtained from other references.

Mike

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/09/2019 11:07:49

That looks like it was an MTE SSR logic module Nick, we had a few small machines with that system but then PLCs took over with a vengeance. Why was the module you needed to test or replace always on the bottom of the stack?

Mike

18/09/2019 10:17:44

Interesting how small the direct speeding blob is, even when failure to assess speed correctly is added it is still a small number of speed incidents. Why the draconian focus on speeding? Would I be cynical of me to think it’s a nice little earner dressed up as road safety improvement? The vast amount of the accidents seem to be driver error so the sooner the nut behind the wheel is removed the safer we will be. I am a firm believer in defensive driving and feel this should be practiced by all, most people will slowly learn it but may die before they master it. Some people drive because they want to get from A to B and are not interested in the activity but others understand the vehicle and fully engage in the activity of driving. I suspect the latter group have less accidents.

Mike

Thread: Setting up for lathe coolant
16/09/2019 10:22:43

I think I would go for having the drain point lowest as I am sure having coolant hanging in the tray would be a nuisance. As long as the drain is just the tiniest bit low then the coolant will find it, no need to have it so low the coolant rushes to find it. If it doesn’t drain then I think you will be throwing coolant out with the swarf when you clean down.

Mike

Thread: Screw cutting is over complicated
16/09/2019 09:55:31

Good to see you back on the forum Hopper, hope you have had a nice break rather than been off sick.

Mike

15/09/2019 23:49:12

Well here we go again, this is an old chestnut which has often been debated without a definitive answer, I suggest try both methods and see what works best for you. I think amateur machinery may begin to struggle with larger pitch threads using the plunge method. As long as you are aware of both methods then you have an option if things are not going well, three tons of DSG is a different animal to 150lbs of Myford.

Mike

Thread: MT2 or ISO30
15/09/2019 12:27:33

If I had to use a morse milling spindle the I would want a positive ejection method rather than a mallet on the drawbar, if you don’t have an ejection method then you will need to develop the Goldilocks touch for tightening the drawbar, not enough and you risk it coming loose and possible damage to spindle cutter and job, too tight and the taper will need a good hit to remove and this force goes through the bearings which is always bad practice. I wouldn’t hesitate to go ISO 30 even if I had to buy some adaptors to use any morse gear.

Mike

Thread: Need help with meddling pillar drill.
15/09/2019 12:08:45

The motors are a standard item, you will pay a premium rate to Meddings. There are plenty of motor suppliers around on the Internet. I would be very surprised if it is the motor at fault though. Some logical methodical fault finding as mentioned above should get you to the trouble source. Even if you end up at the motor then get it tested before buying another. The scenario you describe will not have burnt the motor out so is most likely repairable. Don’t jump to conclusions, you must test and prove things.

Mike

Thread: Rusty pitted base - best way to treat ?
15/09/2019 00:23:46

Brick cleaner is very good, I saw a can in wickes a few weeks ago which surprised me as I thought corrosive materials like that had been withdrawn from public sale.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest