By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Shell Petrol Can Puzzle
25/09/2019 13:57:15

You could try it in a lawnmower or sniff it, probably wouldn’t do any harm if you top up the car tank that has plenty in it or just use it to clean stuff though best used in a well ventilated area without any naked flames.

Mike

Thread: How many Hammers
25/09/2019 13:39:44

Anything under 2lbs would be met with a snort of disgust by our millwrights. When called to a job they would do a tool less visit to see what they would need, the small tool bag was very heavy and you wouldn’t want to carry it far, a sack truck was usually required and they had a labourer to fetch and carry all the heavy stuff like jacks, chain blocks and sylvesters, mind you if they could they would use their forklift. Being a sparky most of what I needed fitted in my pockets, we did have a trolley for the oscilloscope though as they were not pocket sized in those days.

Mike

Thread: Why are washers such a poor fit?
24/09/2019 20:34:51

Soft washers tend to spread and can go tight on the bolt, also happens with solid copper head gaskets, although steel washers tend to be more resistant they do spread with repeated use in extreme situations.

Mike

Thread: How many Hammers
24/09/2019 20:21:33

A lad at work retired and had 27 hammers but they were not all different, I think he had even more G cramps. I think my screwdriver and Allen key collection are a bit out of control.

Mike

Thread: Why are washers such a poor fit?
24/09/2019 19:30:53

A standard flat washer for 6mm should be 6.4mm I am sure there are other standards, I always think a fully machined washer with a chamfer looks nice but washers are used from the crudest of fixings to fine engineering so it’s probably worth finding or making them to suit the job.

Mike

Thread: What the he**
24/09/2019 13:24:58

My wife had a Renault 18 that went through a few rear springs and this was when the roads were free of potholes and the car was not driven aggressively, 3 springs in 197,000miles my sons VW Polo broke one spring and both bearings on the front strut swivels, different style of driving though he thinks the throttle is a switch.

Mike

Thread: Versatool cabinets
24/09/2019 09:03:23

Discipline was reasonably strict in our training school, all machines were fully tooled up. At the end of each day the machines were cleaned down to a good standard and the floor swept, tea break was precisely 10mins and was taken sat on a stool by your machine, the stool was not to be used at any other time. The instructors were all experienced men and knew the job inside out. In my experience the best teachers/instructors have front line experience and this brings to life what you are being taught. I particularly remember our electronics instructor at tech college, he had worked in industry and had many anecdotes about how the theory and reality don’t always work out quite as planned. It was amazing how much stuff we were taught eventually turned up in reality. Unfortunately while we had a good grounding in valves the microprocessor was about to take the world by storm as soon as we left Tech. College. The electrical instructor who turned me to the dark side by telling me that electrical was the trade that was going places must have known that by the end of the 70s robots and PLC controllers would be running the car industry.

Mike

Thread: What the he**
23/09/2019 20:36:03

I have had a few break but never in such a dramatic fashion, usually the car just adopts a bit of a list.

Mike

Thread: Startrite Drill Press(benchtop) - stuck chuck
23/09/2019 20:32:37

The shiny part shielding the top nut appears to have been added, if you remove the screws holding it it may give you the access you need.

Mike

Thread: An astronomical model in New Scientist
23/09/2019 16:56:43

I shall be keeping an eye on this season drift. Will this forum still be going for me to report backsmiley

Mike

Thread: Myford vfd
23/09/2019 08:45:57

As John says you will need to change the motor but it will be well worth it, the machine will be smoother and can be programmed to slow quickly though if you have a clutch then that it not such an advantage. Being able to make slight adjustments to the speed can often improve the finish. Easy reverse is another advantage but be wary of unscrewing the chuck. Complete ready to go packages are available which save some work and provide a well engineered solution, probably not expensive if you build your own to an equivalent standard.

Mike

Thread: Alternative metal sources?
22/09/2019 23:00:04

At the £0 price point material must be worth a try, if the exchange of drinking vouchers is involved then knowing what you are buying is a good idea. If it’s free and rubbish then you have wasted a bit of time and effort, if it works out well then happy days. Buying an unknown that turns out bad is an expensive lesson.

Mike

Thread: TPH machine tools Essex
22/09/2019 22:48:59

It would seem from a quick google search that a website for TPH is alive but the company was dissolved in Feb 2019. If they answer the phone then you may find the truth but be careful.

Mike

Thread: Brown & Sharpe 2L surface grinder - drive gear teeth pitch?
21/09/2019 12:08:17

It might be worth investigating how the first tooth got broken, it does seem reasonable that some of the damage has been caused by the initial event. If the reversal is savage rather than smooth then maybe there is a fault. Worth checking I think or your repair or replacement may soon look like it does now.

Mike

Thread: Dumb question from a none driver
21/09/2019 10:41:55

It’s unlikely the vehicle the police are using is owned by them or that they are the registered keeper. I rented a car from the company I worked for and was never the registered keeper or the owner. Perhaps they should ask what they want to know which is do you have the owners permission to use this vehicle.

Mike

Thread: Surface plates
20/09/2019 15:50:41

Of course once you have a surface plate if you want to do anything apart from just blue it up and check for flatness then you will need some accessories, many of them are already likely to be around like angle plates and vee blocks but there are plenty of other toys that go nicely with a surface plate and can make it into a very useful addition to the workshop. I know a guy who insisted on having one on his bench when a new workshop was set up but that was how he worked and after 35 years why change?

Mike

Thread: Propane regulator with intentional restriction?
20/09/2019 11:31:26

Mind you don’t suffocate yourself with a CO2 extinguisher.

Mike

20/09/2019 11:27:17

I suppose a surface plate is useful if the work you do and the way you work makes one useful. A vernier or digital height gauge is much more useful if you have a flat surface to use it on. Machine tables and plate glass are handy if you don’t have a surface plate but there are no tee slots in a surface plate. DROs on machines can save a lot of marking out. The surface gauge was a classic apprentice piece and I suppose that was because it was likely to be useful and the expectation was that a surface plate would be readily available and they certainly were in the tool room I worked in although being an electrician the were only useful for homers like checking the cylinder head of my motorcycle was flat (it wasn’t) .

Mike

Thread: Propane regulator with intentional restriction?
18/09/2019 19:59:11

Will it go to 11? smiley

Mike

18/09/2019 14:55:53

The edges of my surface plate appear to be machined to a high standard but not ground, although it can be useful to use the edge as a reference when marking out (and the pins on a surface gauge can be useful to allow this) I don’t think they are included in the specification for the surface of the table. For average home workshop uses they are probably straight and square enough but if you are working at a high level then it may matter. Calibration only seems concerned with the surface and not the edges. Straight and square will need to be obtained from other references.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest