By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
22/07/2019 15:47:43

.I think a surface plate makes a useful reference surface for marking out and checking and the nice thing is that it is most likely to be absolutely fine for most home workshop purposes. I believe that mine is flat and as I cannot check the calibration without spending a lot of money then my belief is all I have. I suspect that even if it failed a calibration check is would still be close enough for jazz. Had I not got this one for £0 I would probably have a plate glass one. I do view the surface plate as very useful for marking out but this task may be in decline as machines equipped with DROs make accurate marking out less essential. Still useful for hand made parts though. It provides a useful reference to set up V blocks and angle plates for marking or checking. If you have one it will almost certainly find uses and you may adapt your working methods to make marking and checking easy. A vernier or digital height gauge is a useful friend for a surface plate and can improve your marking out and make accurate measuring and checking easier.

Mike

21/07/2019 10:59:04

Many people have used plate glass as a surface plate, float glass is pretty flat as well but will actually have a curve of 8000 miles radius which would be near impossible to measure and certainly of no consequence to normal model engineering, for all practical purposes it is flat. Some care needs to be taken on supporting the glass as it can be distorted if heavy items are placed on it when it is poorly supported.

Mike

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
19/07/2019 20:13:18

Calculus was interesting but I have not found it useful either but I can imagine it could be useful in some jobs even if software can do many of the tasks where it may be useful. I still don’t know how to play football as they only played rugby at my school

Mike

19/07/2019 18:39:36

Latin could be handy if you ever felt the calling to be a Catholic priest. I found it interesting when I realised that English also had similar rules and structure to Latin but isn’t taught in the same way.

Mike

Thread: Engineers blue alternatives
19/07/2019 10:37:04

I think the Sharpie and Dychem options are both useful but horses for courses applies. I find Sharpie very useful but its durability is poor, even handling the part wears the colour off but the scribed line does persist just not so easy to see.

Mike

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
18/07/2019 23:02:37

Oops tripped up there.

Mike

image.jpeg

Edited By Mike Poole on 18/07/2019 23:06:41

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
17/07/2019 19:43:21

The thing that really spanks my electricity bill is the tumble dryer but having said that the long list of devices that are always on make the biggest contribution to the bill.

Mike

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
17/07/2019 19:34:47

If you approach power tools timidly then you will get hurt, you must be the master of the tool and be aware of all the things not to do. Resist trigger locks if fitted, if you lose your grip on the machine it will chase you round until you find the plug. Routers are scary with razor sharp cutters rotating at 28,000rpm but now I have experience and acquired a feel for the machine I use one with confidence and respect.

Mike

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
17/07/2019 11:39:37

Where you are positioned in the IQ distribution probably skews your perception, I of course know far more idiots than geniuses smiley.

Mike

Thread: Rounded Torx Screw Removal
16/07/2019 16:06:59
Posted by Dinosaur Engineer on 16/07/2019 01:46:18:

I had a damaged torx screw a few weeks ago on the underside tray of my VW golf. the correct size key was too small and the next std. size key was too big. My initial thought was to drill it out and fit a larger screw ., But I thought one idea was worth a try. I used a small ball pein hammer to spread the metal around the torx insert and then hammered the correct size key in. This worked a treat.

Watch out for spline drive on VW, looks like Torx until you find your Torx bits don’t fit.

Mike

Thread: An electrostatic mystery ...
16/07/2019 16:01:35

On a rather rough crossing to the Isle of Man a friend and I found the rolling and pitching was least in a bar that was still open but very quiet in the centre of the ship so we started as we meant to go on and had a few beerssmiley

Mike

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
16/07/2019 10:35:38

Hemingway do a kit for a Gibralter toolpost, could make life easy.

Mike

Thread: An electrostatic mystery ...
15/07/2019 19:19:57

The girls in the trim shop regularly reported getting a shock from their sewing machine, no fault would be found with the machine or it’s earthing so the problem will be the girls clothes and the material they were sewing. My wife and I get shocks when leaving my Ford which has a man made seat covering but my other car with leather seats is no problem. I have on occasions experienced nausea when my bed spins which is most odd as it is very solid, it’s does seem to happen after over doing it down the pubsmiley, luckily it’s a long time since that has happened, seems that drinking responsibly does have advantages.

Mike

Thread: Recent threads
15/07/2019 08:42:41

There seems to be a general acceptance of bad language and the young use it freely in mixed company almost anywhere. A friend had his eyes opened when doing some electrical work at a top girls school in the late ‘60s, he was working within earshot of the girls locker room and was surprised that the young ladies could match the vocabulary of the factory floor or barrack room. Another friend won’t watch Quentin Tarantino films because of the relentless bad language even after a 22 year career in the British Army. Unfortunately bad language has become more common in the pub even in mixed company, the days seem long past when the landlord would warn a customer about their language.

Mike

14/07/2019 18:52:19

I think gentleman defines a man who is well mannered, considerate and conducts himself properly, to me this has nothing to do with class, background or wealth, any man can be a gentleman.

Mike

Thread: DIY magnetic DRO
14/07/2019 18:32:53

Yes Chris that is what you need.

Mike

14/07/2019 16:48:37

Search fo D sub or D subminiature, widely available from electronic suppliers.

Mike

Thread: Electric Cars
14/07/2019 15:09:06

I look forward to trucks being under autonomous control, my trips to Italy last year and this year have both encountered trucks that wander out of their lane, last year I was very close to being the meat in a truck and Armco sandwich hard braking kept me out of a very quickly diminishing gap, the truck driver apologised with a wave and lights flash but it seems there are too many tired or bored drivers in charge of big trucks.

Mike

13/07/2019 21:39:50

The best thing about autonomous vehicles is that you will be able to give the leggy blonde your full attention, at least until the wife gives you a poke in the ribs.

Mike

13/07/2019 18:16:03

Fully automatic vehicles already share the factory floor with other vehicles and pedestrians.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest