By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
17/05/2020 22:54:18

It’s amazing how busy the world is if you have a look at the Flightradar24 app.

Mike

Thread: 3 phase cable for a VFD
17/05/2020 20:07:22

SY is a cable with a galvanised steel braid primarily for mechanical protection. CY has a copper screen which is intended for use in applications where EMI needs controlling.

Mike

Thread: Cookerhood sound reduction
17/05/2020 13:51:50

In vehicles extensive use is made of self adhesive pads of a bitumen type material, they may be effective in this application.

Mike

Thread: Memlo lamp transformer/switch
17/05/2020 10:23:50

If it is for 415v it will run on 240v but the output will be lower of course, you may be able to find a lamp that matches the lower output. What are the specific input and output voltages for the unit in question?

Mike

Thread: Spot Facing With Slot Drill?
16/05/2020 18:24:28

The spark test can be handy for sorting out materials into rough groups, google will provide plenty of detail on what to look for and how to perform the test.

Mike

Thread: Bending 1/8" Steel Plate
15/05/2020 12:28:47

That’s the sort of thing I use and they are fine for my occasional use, they are not the most durable things but with care they should give useful service.

Mike

Thread: Cross slide dial calibrations - opinions sought.
15/05/2020 10:44:14

I find that a very crowded dial is more difficult to work with as the thickness of the lines begins to approach the spaces, make the dial as large as possible and then choose the intervals, the eye is very good at splitting the spaces especially if they are not too small.

Mike

15/05/2020 10:22:43

If you have silver soldered with it before then it can produce the required temperature but can it produce a large enough amount of heat to get the larger mass to temperature. Conserving the available heat is important if you think the amount of heat may be marginal A surround of insulating blocks like skamolex or vermiculite will keep the heat on the job and not absorb it. What is plan B if you try it and it won’t do the job? Other than having to do another clean up it shouldn’t do any harm to try it, just make sure you can make the best use of the available heat.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 15/05/2020 10:22:59

Thread: Warco BH600 Non Starter
15/05/2020 06:48:26

The control relay K1 which is the black telemecanique one needs to be energised before K2 or K3 will energise to start the motor. I would link out the safety contacts by putting a temporary link from 2 to 21, if the relay energises then you have an open circuit somewhere in the safety chain of contacts. There seems to be a question over the continuity of the contact on the overload so assuming it has been reset with the blue button then just put the temporary link across the contact and see if that energises K1. If the 2 to 21 link does not energise K1 then we need to look at devices 52 and 53, which from what Bazyle says is a switch operated from a saddle mounted lever, if we link 5 to 9 this should tell us if we have a problem with these switches being open. If these checks succeed in energising K1 will the lathe now start?

Mike

Thread: Source of CNC plastic for software proving purposes
14/05/2020 14:25:25

I think our training school just used polystyrene and wood but I suppose it depends what you are proving.

Mike

Thread: Sort of a Straw Poll
14/05/2020 08:19:48

If kids have their eyes on an inheritance then life will probably play the carehome joker, you may as well spend it and enjoy it before the carehome get it.

Mike

13/05/2020 13:00:51

3fd270d2-7fa7-4aec-bd4b-ea3457918f17.jpeg

This was my effort, the crank was cold bent from 6mm mild steel in a 5” vice, a bit of work with a file cleaned it up and a good friend welded the boss for the handle and the other end to the main shaft. It was a completely ad hoc build and turned out to be functional. Being a thicker piece of material and the dimensions not critical means any marks from the hammer can be dressed away with a file to tidy it up, the edges were given a radius to improve the feel when handling.

Mike

Thread: Oil
12/05/2020 21:54:43

It’s always best to check but I think current formulations of EP oils are yellow metal safe, I would check further than just reading the label on the container.

Mike

Thread: Sort of a Straw Poll
12/05/2020 20:01:18

What happened yesterday can’t be changed so no point in worrying about it. Take tomorrow as it comes and don’t worry about it. When we go everything will be someone else’s problem, an exit dossier could be helpful but just live like you are going to make 100 if it does not go to plan then does it matter?

Mike

Thread: BBC2 Flogit 11 May 2020
12/05/2020 15:52:06

The downside of linking to an image hosted off site is that they are not permanent as many old threads on here will show. Of course it does keep to the legal side of copyright though.

Mike

Thread: Box-Shifters and Quality Assurance
12/05/2020 12:00:22

I was always tickled by John Stevenson’s fit for purse and fit for purpose. Although we maybe prepared to fettle a machine that falls short of requirements if the price is right, products sold in the UK should be fit for purpose.
Bandsaws at the cheap end of the market seem to be a machine that regularly fall short of our expectations but can be fettled into a satisfactory performance. I doubt that blade life and squareness of cut feature in the claims made for a cheap bandsaw so trading standards may be satisfied by it just cutting metal. It is clear that some people have unreasonable or unrealistic expectations of what they are buying and can be a poor customer but bad traders also exist who take the money and run. A direct import purchase has little protection but some of the sellers seem anxious to please and others will just disappear if there is a problem. I am not rich but I prefer to buy from a supplier in the uk with a face that my needs can be discussed with. I have made many purchases on eBay that have mostly been very satisfactory from mostly genuine people, these days it seems to be a more risky place for fakes and rubbish and a bad place for sellers who encounter bad customers.

Mike

Thread: Crime rate
11/05/2020 09:14:09

I think fines for sunbathing in the park are uplaugh

Mike

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
11/05/2020 08:57:44

It’s difficult to argue with taking the ultra safe path of putting in the estop or pulling the plug but I am pretty comfortable with the normal control stop, my start button is shielded so accidentally pressing it would be unlikely and the normal stop is a raised button but not a mushroom head. For the advocates of full isolation then machine lighting would be most useful fed separately. That’s where I am comfortable with my lathe, the mill is a different matter, fitting a cutter involves handling a hopefully very sharp cutter into the spindle, an accidental start would be devastating, setting up the work is less risky as I always drop the table well clear of the cutter if it is fitted. Although industry love written risk assessments of every task I feel that working safely is a continuous risk assessment and being lucky enough to have served an apprenticeship where the emphasis was on training and not cheap labour I feel that I can make a safe choice having weighed the consequences and likelihood of an event. So far I have not hurt myself or anyone else so I feel I might have the balance about right so thank you to the men who taught me. A risk assessment does not automatically take the absolute safest route or nothing would ever be done, it’s about doing dangerous things with the risk minimised to a practical level, a cut finger does not rate as high as certain death and a frequency of once in a million years is worth a chance. Perception of risk is funny thing, my wife happily goes out in a car but won’t fly because it’s dangerous, I think there are more factors at play than statistics though.

Mike

Thread: ML7 Genuine Gears vs Replacement
10/05/2020 08:15:21

VW own Bentley and Bugatti but a comparison of an Up and a Veyron would be unfair.

Mike

Thread: Oscilloscope kits - any recommendations?
09/05/2020 23:02:58

Pico technology make useful interface units for laptops or PCs if that would suit your purpose, no doubt there are Chinese versions at keen prices but I have not used one. My Tektronix is still going well but the price of probes is frightening.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest