By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Railway station toilet signs
05/03/2022 08:08:53

I remember the contrast between the British and French trains on a school visit to Paris, The train to Newhaven was comfortable sprung upholstered seats and the French train from Dieppe had wooden slatted seats rather like a park bench, the loo was interesting as it obviously dropped straight to the track with a flap to control the draught should you need to be seated during the performance. The Metro was a contrast the other way as the introduction of the pneumatic tyred trains had begun and they were super smooth and quiet compared to the London Underground.

Mike

Thread: Diminishing chocolate bar
04/03/2022 12:11:03

Sainsburys were out of stock of 4pt milk and had no substitute available, it seems hard to believe.

Mike

Thread: Buy a book or download free
04/03/2022 09:14:57

It was reprinted a year or two later so I suppose anyone who paid silly money for a copy would be kicking themselves.

Mike

04/03/2022 08:35:42

There was a period when Ian Bradley’s Myford workshop manual was out of print and second hand prices rose to silly levels. The original Myford who never embraced internet selling had stock of the book and were selling it at the cover price so I bought my copy from them, still enjoying my bargain.

Mike

03/03/2022 14:13:57

Just because a download exists on the internet does not necessarily make it legal to download it, much material that is protected by copyright has been posted in various places on the internet. Of course the chances of being pursued for an illegal download are very slim, most effort is put into prosecuting the hosts of illegal material much as happened with the music pirates. Artistes now receive minuscule reward from hosting sites and now earn a living by touring. I do think that material that is covered by copyright but is out of print and only available at inflated prices on the second hand market does have a weakened argument for protection but they always have the option to reprint if demand grows. Much interesting material that is out of copyright is available in various places and is perfectly legal to download.

Mike

Thread: Concrete Panel Garage/Workshop
03/03/2022 11:22:08

I built my fence with concrete channeled posts and concrete gravel boards, the panels were 1.8m and the gravel boards 6ft, the panels are too narrow and I had to add the missing inch to the panels to make them fit securely. If anyone is taking on a fence project then check the sizes. I imagine there will be a few fence projects in progress after the winds recently.

Mike

Thread: Hand Hacksaw
02/03/2022 16:17:32

I remember the three turns after taking up the slack, my Eclipse 40PG with the pressed steel pistol grip is plenty tight enough at only two turns, the 1970s tubular frame one struggles to ever feel taut and the tubular frame easily takes a permanent set.

Mike

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
02/03/2022 15:46:38

My father was a Freemason and my boss of many years, they are two men who I have the greatest of respect for as decent honest men. After my mother was widowed the lodge almoner kept in regular touch and although she was never in need of any assistance from them they are always there for you. Masons being ordinary people are subject to the same failings we all have. I remember by boss who was responsible for interviewing prospective candidates for the electrical department telling me a candidate had signalled his membership to him which in that situation is forbidden, as you are not to use freemasonry to your personal advantage, it did not go well for him as he got an extra rigorous interview and was not offered a job.

Mike

Thread: Carbon Steel vs HSS Taps & Dies
02/03/2022 11:07:43

HSS are ground thread as I think it would be difficult to make them any other way, this has the advantage of being able to produce a very accurate thread but that will depend on the maker. Carbon steel can make very good taps and dies but here you need to buy good quality and many carbon steel taps are poor quality as the makers save every penny they can on material and machining. If you are going to produce a HSS tap then you need to invest in the machines to make them and a higher cost material so it is probable that a budget HSS tap will be better than a budget carbon steel item. With the demise of most of the old brands that could be relied on to be a good quality item made in carbon steel and HSS being the material used by the well regarded brands today the idea that carbon steel is inferior has prevailed. The picture is becoming a bit cloudy now as some HSS taps are not as good as they should be and some carbon steel are excellent. Shopping for HSS or CS at the extreme economy end of the market is likely to be disappointing but some people will strike lucky and get a bargain.

Mike

Thread: Oops
01/03/2022 14:22:10

I have actually tasted Bakers Fluid, it was not a gourmet experience. It was only a tiny splash but it is a particularly foul experience, I suppose it was marginally better then getting it in my eye but I strongly recommend not tasting it, and it takes a lot of rinsing to get rid of the taste, I don’t remember it doing any real harm but I was rinsing within seconds of tasting and didn’t swallow any. Petrol is another taste that I find difficult to recommend, I had a rather larger sample of that trying to prime a siphon.

Mike

Thread: Hand Hacksaw
28/02/2022 18:36:12

I have three hacksaw frames and my favourite is an Eclipse but so is my least favourite, my favourite is an old pistol grip frame with a rigid flat bar frame, my least favourite is the tubular framed Eclipse from 1973 when I purchased it.I also have a Ding Dong frame which is not bad but fairly heavy, I understand that Ding Dong blades were rubbish but the frame is not bad. I prefer all hard blades if I am sawing work that is rigidly held but if I am sawing conduit in a site pipe vice then it has to be a flexible bimetal blade. I mainly use Eclipse and Sandvik(Bahco) blades but Starrett seem to be very well regarded but rare in the UK.

Mike

Thread: Number stamps quality.
28/02/2022 11:24:03

A set of stamps in the factory had been used to stamp hardened steel, they do not survive that sort of treatment. I would have thought the owner of combination set would have understood that the rule is hardened but their initials are stamped on it, rather shallow indentations though. I must say I hate precision tools being marked but in the factory they used an electric etcher to mark tools with a calibration ID mark.

Mike

Thread: Precision ground flat stones in UK?
28/02/2022 11:04:04

I would think that unless you have the means to maintain a flat stone then it will become just a stone fairly quickly, they seem to be used for rather high quality toolmaking and if you are in that line of work then a surface grinder will be available. It may be more realistic to look for a tool room who use these and see if they could do your stones when they do theirs, I would imagine that a surface grinder will not have a diamond stone mounted all the time and they would set up to do a batch now and again. A poor man’s version could be a sheet of fine wet and dry paper on a surface plate but that would be difficult to handle if you just wanted to check a machine table or indeed the surface plate itself.

Mike

Thread: Number stamps quality.
27/02/2022 15:22:27

Pryor were a big name in number letter and number stamps. I am not sure whether they are still in business.

Mike

It looks like they are still around Pryor

Edited By Mike Poole on 27/02/2022 15:25:01

Thread: Songs about Engineering
27/02/2022 15:08:09

Glen Campbell

this is a bit about Glen Campbell and some of his session guitar work

Mike

27/02/2022 10:52:51

Glen Campbell was not only a good singer, his guitar playing skills as a member of the session band the Wrecking Crew were superb.

Mike

27/02/2022 10:45:50
Posted by Hopper on 27/02/2022 02:31:25:

Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf. Theme song from the movie Easy Rider

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way

Inspired a whole generation of future motorcyclists. Within a fortnight of the movie's showing at our local theatre, we all had homemade extended forks on our push bikes. Totally unsafe made from other fork legs cut off another bike and jammed over our existing fork legs. All held together by gravity and youthful enthusiasm.

A schoolmate of mine fitted the rear wheel from a small wheeled Moulten bicycle to the rear of a standard framed bicycle, to recover the required ground clearance to pedal the creation he cut the rear downtubes off, bent the lower fork down and bolted new longer downtubes in.
Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 27/02/2022 17:53:15

Thread: Is there ever a time to let politics come into the forum
27/02/2022 05:39:19

I suspect most of us will be in broad agreement on the subject of Ukraine but this is not the place to discuss it. I think it is best to lock this thread while we are all still friends.

Mike

Thread: Calculating Mount Point Speeds
25/02/2022 13:29:15

An air powered pencil grinder can run at 60,000 rpm and is a useful tool for small mounted points, buying one specially to run some free points rather negates getting a nice freebie. I would use what you have to run them until you have used them up.

Mike

Thread: stuff that came with my lathe ...
25/02/2022 13:16:06

I would not part the metric conversion set from the gearbox even if you think it unlikely you will use it. The 4jaw is a definite keeper as it is the most versatile chuck and can hold any shape of stock material and many irregular castings, each jaw is reversible independently which can be useful sometimes. Unless you would rather use the cash raised for other purposes the better a lathe is equipped the more versatile it becomes. If you dispose of the equipment you regard as surplus then it will be near certain a job will come along that needs it. I have to fight my inner hoarder but I would keep it all.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest