By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Does anyone view this forum by first selecting a 'topic'?
13/06/2020 10:49:24

I do exactly what Jason describes but it must help when you are looking for an old subject or post to be in a logical place. The google search limited to this site is useful but there is a skill in getting google to find what you are looking for. It is evident from some of the questions asked on here that some people struggle to get what they want from google. There are a load of logical operators that can be applied to a search to narrow the results to what is relevant to your enquiry’s

Mike

Thread: R8 or morse taper 3?
13/06/2020 10:14:08

The peg in the R8 socket is to stop the collet spinning while the drawbar is tightened. If the taper can spin then the cutter could also spin. The R8 system does not seem to suffer from cutters moving in the collet or the collet spinning in the spindle. I suspect that any R8 problems will be caused by insufficient tightening poor cutter shank size or condition or worn collet etc.

Mike

Thread: Boxford AUD motor drive wheel plus reverse switch issue
12/06/2020 10:45:11

Double post

Edited By Mike Poole on 12/06/2020 10:45:44

12/06/2020 10:43:27

A bit late to join in on this one but in some of the early photos it looked as if the pulleys were misaligned, if you use a straight edge on the side of the pulleys you can check that the pulleys are in the correct position along the shaft and that they are parallel with each other. Make sure you allow for any difference in the thickness of the pulleys. It is surprising how misaligned pulleys will try to walk along the shaft. You may have found that the motor had moved and was generating your original problem. Glad you have it running sweetly now but could still be worth an alignment check.

Mike

Thread: Surface Plate & Height Gauge recommendations
09/06/2020 08:53:31

I have a Shardlow conventional height gauge. I first used one as an apprentice and liked the fine feed adjustment which is engaged with a lever. I preferred it to the Chestermans which we also used. A digital height gauge has the useful feature that zero can be anywhere you like but with a conventional one the surface plate is always zero. You will need to be handy with mental arithmetic to mark out anything that is not datumed from the surface plate and dimensioned from that datum.
Mike

Thread: Can you guess what this object is?
06/06/2020 17:48:51

A tricky thing to measure I would thinksmiley

Mike

Thread: New or old style 3 phase motors?
06/06/2020 14:10:55

Inverters have improved the waveform presented to the motors, some early inverters had very poor waveforms and produced a lot of noise and heat with the harmonics delivered to the motor. A decent modern inverter will give a motor a much easier time. Unless you have a use for the motors that you have I would run one and see if it runs happily. Inverters in the form of a UPS or power conditioner can be used to give a cleaner supply than the mains in some difficult environments.

Mike

Thread: Surface Plate & Height Gauge recommendations
05/06/2020 10:54:49

There were a couple of Lumsden grinders in our machine shop but even though they are the king of grinders for material removal I don’t think they would trouble the rest of the machines in the shop for removal ratelaugh

Mike

Thread: Cross slide adjustment?
03/06/2020 13:40:56

Backlash is pretty much a fact of life with conventional screws, if you have adjustable nuts then you may find that eliminating the free movement in one position will make things tight in another. As long as you always approach a setting from the same direction and if you back off make sure you exceed the amount of backlash before reapproaching your setting it shouldn’t cause any difficulties.

Mike

Thread: internal grooves for o rings
01/06/2020 22:30:18

If the tool is rubbing the the presentation of the tool needs looking at or the clearance needs to be increased. The clearance angle is a compromise between enough clearance to cut freely and not so much it weakens the cutting edge. You could blue up the tool and see where it is rubbing and grind the high spot away, rinse and repeat until the tool cuts cleanly. Boring tools need a surprising amount of front clearance as the bores get smaller, its curious that you start clean cutting and then rub, this may mean the side clearance is the problem, check that both sides have clearance and the tool is at the correct angle. The O ring groove is usually square and the pressure you are trying to contain is what makes the O ring work as it gets behind the O ring and squeezes it to seal against the shaft and the wall of the groove.

Mike

Thread: Workshop Gloves
01/06/2020 12:32:37

Honda Engineering build the production lines for Honda vehicles, I worked with some of them on an installation they built for us. Every day they had clean white overalls and gloves which they rarely worked without, every morning they started with a meeting to set the program for the day, this was conducted on the shop floor with everyone in a circle in the squatting position, it would kill my thighs to hold that position for more than a few seconds, luckily it was only for Honda personnel.

Mike

Thread: Burgundy finish to tools with wooden handles?
31/05/2020 21:23:48

Although air tools and for the last 25 years battery tools were used on production the Yankee was still used in some places. My uncle had a Yankee without a speck of paint on the wooden handle and it was natural wood so I suspect it was not stained before lacquering, whatever they finished it with it was quite thick and would chip if abused. Perhaps Stanley would know if they are feeling helpful and you drop then a line.

Mike

Thread: Workshop Gloves
31/05/2020 10:48:53

Thin nitrile or latex gloves are unlikely to pose a danger on a machine and for skin protection for anyone with a problem or sensitivity they must be a godsend. It is worth using plastic or metal screens on mag bases to keep swarf away from yourself and the machine controls. Gloves for the clean down when the machine is off are useful protection for the hands but in this case something more substantial than latex is required. Personally I never ever wear gloves but I am blessed with robust skin and having lost interest in fixing cars my hands don’t get too dirty in the workshop, Fairy liquid is my hand cleaner of choice and keeps my hands so soft.smiley

Mike

31/05/2020 08:59:47

Google degloved finger Images if you want to be put off gloves and rings.

Mike

31/05/2020 08:48:50

It is nearly 48years since the induction week of my apprenticeship, two images have stuck with me, one of a finger with tendons ripped out of the forearm laid on a drilling machine table and a scrotum with dermatitis from keeping an oily wiper in your pocket. The finger was ripped off because the operator was wearing gloves and got caught by the rotating drill which wrapped ever tighter once caught. We all had to wear a snood in the machine shop as our long hair was an invitation to be scalped if you caught it in a machine.

Mike

Thread: Hydraulic Motor
26/05/2020 10:02:47

As with others I am not visualising this motor, a bit more info would help. Many of the components in an hydraulic motor have tight tolerance and finish and will require grinding equipment to replicate, material spec and heat treatment are other unknowns.
Mike

Thread: Experimental Vibration Analysis of a WM280 Lathe
25/05/2020 12:47:45

It would be useful to have all the data of the mechanical parts like number of balls in races, number of teeth on gears and so on, it surprised me that the vibration analysis guys could identify a cage failing on a ball race, clever stuff.

Mike

Thread: Pillar drill running in reverse
24/05/2020 21:58:30

Try spinning it by hand in the correct direction and then start it while spinning, if it runs in the right direction then the start circuit is u/s as mentioned above.

Mike

Thread: Experimental Vibration Analysis of a WM280 Lathe
24/05/2020 17:39:25

I did some work on vibration analysis at work, we were interested in the condition monitoring of the bearings on hoists. This proved to be rather difficult due to the short cycle time. On continuously running machines it quite easy to establish the healthy condition and see the deterioration and a traffic light monitoring system can be implemented. After installing accelerometers on the bearing blocks the data could be analyzed by an experienced eye and they did pick up some failing units early. The holy grail of the traffic light was not really workable with the short cycle and variable speed during the short cycle. My exposure to the subject taught me it is a useful tool but the analysis can be complex. It’s very useful for monitoring trends but absolutes are difficult to determine. The company we contracted motor maintenance to did regular patrols of all the important motors and these were fitted with monitoring points for the sensor of the handheld test unit. This is an interesting project SOD making sense of the data will be the hard part I feel.

Mike

Thread: The sneering detractors
23/05/2020 07:56:28

I expect the traction’s engines running today are a bit like Triggers broom.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest