By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
31/07/2019 09:27:48

Broadcast TV is probably going to be a thing of the past in the not to distant future and at the moment blu-Ray and streaming are the only terrestrial options for 4K viewing. We are being pushed more and more into using the internet and todays gadgets like video doorbells and pet cams will become normal and then indispensable. Even those without internet access like my mother and wife’s mother still get things done for them by us so they are not internet free. A home with a couple of kids streaming the films of their choice and adults catching up tv are going to need a decent connection speed, before my youngest son left home and before fibre to the cabinet came to the village we regularly stalled or buffered, I upgraded the day it went live and for a while we had 67Mb but now it is 48Mb, not too worried about that as only two of us in the house now and we can both stream video without problems. It is likely that our consumption of speed will grow even if we are reluctant adopters of the latest tech offerings.

Mike

Thread: Anyone recognise this mains connector ?
29/07/2019 22:12:48

**LINK**

this German supplier still makes these plugs, there is a silicon version to stand 200°C. They are linked to at the bottom of Michaels link.

Mike

28/07/2019 22:33:37

+1 for old style kettle and coffee maker type equipment. Unless you really want to keep it original I would go with Emgee and hard wire it or fit a modern euro style connector, be aware there is a hot condition version with an extra notch for kettles but the regular version is rated at 6A which would be ok for the 900W load you have.

Mike

Thread: R8 spindle advice required
28/07/2019 13:51:41

My VMC has a pin and it is probably only useful for the initial insertion and running down the drawbar, once the drawbar starts to tighten then the taper provides all the friction needed to stop the collet turning.

Mike

Thread: Cleaning a straightedge
28/07/2019 10:59:41

The scourers for not stick pans and baths are non abrasive, these usually seem to be white and the abrasive type seem to be green. The white seem good for getting flies off windscreens and even paint without an harm to glass or paint, not bad on alloy wheels if they are painted type.

Mike

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
28/07/2019 08:58:49

I just asked them if that was the one my wife and children were killed in, it went a bit quiet at the other end, I let him off the hook after a few moment of sweat.

Mike

Thread: not tightening
27/07/2019 21:10:41

Just to be pedantic BA is a metric threaddevil but your nut and bolt will need to be a match.

Mike

Thread: DIY magnetic DRO
25/07/2019 22:27:47
Posted by Clive Foster on 17/07/2019 10:53:44:

Nice work Chris.

Soldering and sleeving is indeed tedious.

For future reference crimp type push in connectors are much easier and, if you make a mistake, sorting out is a simple matter of pushing the connector out and popping it back in the right hole. Shells cost little more and crimp tools are, probably, a bit too expensive. Pro ones like mine are far too much! But frustration saved is well worth it if you are doing a few.

I got my tool set years ago from RS components when I had to do about 8 of the big ones. Not cheap but well worth it. I imagine E-Bay et al can offer much better deals now. I imagine crimp contacts could be gently squeezed and soldered rather than properly crimped or you can get solder bucket types. The insertion and extraction tools are cheap, about £5 for the combined tool from RS. Its the crimper that costs.

Clive

You are dead right about crimping Clive but a bit of preparation can make the solder bucket version much less painful, many years ago I made a heavy block with tapped holes for various d-sub plugs, I then tin all the holes and ends of the wires after a light twist to stop any stray strands. A quick touch with a fine point iron and a nice bright secure joint with no bridging to adjacent pins should be achieved. Getting the cable cores the right length will help, too short makes life difficult and too long will leave a lot of cable to try and stuff in the shell. I don’t usually sleeve but I try to minimise any bare cable and not use cable that is too big. It’s always worked for me.

Mike

Thread: Making from castings or scratch build.
25/07/2019 09:36:58

Are you proposing to make your own patterns and castings or machine from solid and fabricate? Some ready made castings can be a bit tight on machining allowances and need a good think before cutting metal.

Mike

Thread: Using a brake cylinder
24/07/2019 23:34:03

What did you have in mind?

Mike

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
24/07/2019 19:29:05

Monday morning, start tech college at 9am finish at 7pm, start work at 8pm, Tuesday morning 7am, go home for a well earned sleep. I wonder how many youngsters would be up for doing that these days?

Mike

Thread: change wheels
24/07/2019 14:48:16

Is £18 for both gears including postage too silly ?

Mike

23/07/2019 10:23:25

I struggle to learn things that do not interest me, do the people who rack loads of exam qualifications have an interest in all of them or just soak stuff up because they are presented with it? One of my sons had an inspirational history teacher and for that year was interested in history, the Kids didn’t get enough exam passes and the teacher moved on. I think I would prefer my son to be interested in history which provides a lifelong interest in what surrounds us and what has happened to us and how we arrived in our present position. Unfortunately when you leave education your exam achievements are the first crude sift to the next stage. As I had a fair idea where I wanted to go the subjects that interested me came easily but I had to put in some effort to get enough to get started on the next stage. Luckily I have been offered every job I have ever applied for but that is only 4 and I took 3 of them. It doesn’t seem so easy these days, a friend has applied for 200 jobs since Christmas and not been successful yet, glad I’m retired.

Mike

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
22/07/2019 15:47:43

.I think a surface plate makes a useful reference surface for marking out and checking and the nice thing is that it is most likely to be absolutely fine for most home workshop purposes. I believe that mine is flat and as I cannot check the calibration without spending a lot of money then my belief is all I have. I suspect that even if it failed a calibration check is would still be close enough for jazz. Had I not got this one for £0 I would probably have a plate glass one. I do view the surface plate as very useful for marking out but this task may be in decline as machines equipped with DROs make accurate marking out less essential. Still useful for hand made parts though. It provides a useful reference to set up V blocks and angle plates for marking or checking. If you have one it will almost certainly find uses and you may adapt your working methods to make marking and checking easy. A vernier or digital height gauge is a useful friend for a surface plate and can improve your marking out and make accurate measuring and checking easier.

Mike

21/07/2019 10:59:04

Many people have used plate glass as a surface plate, float glass is pretty flat as well but will actually have a curve of 8000 miles radius which would be near impossible to measure and certainly of no consequence to normal model engineering, for all practical purposes it is flat. Some care needs to be taken on supporting the glass as it can be distorted if heavy items are placed on it when it is poorly supported.

Mike

19/07/2019 20:13:18

Calculus was interesting but I have not found it useful either but I can imagine it could be useful in some jobs even if software can do many of the tasks where it may be useful. I still don’t know how to play football as they only played rugby at my school

Mike

19/07/2019 18:39:36

Latin could be handy if you ever felt the calling to be a Catholic priest. I found it interesting when I realised that English also had similar rules and structure to Latin but isn’t taught in the same way.

Mike

Thread: Engineers blue alternatives
19/07/2019 10:37:04

I think the Sharpie and Dychem options are both useful but horses for courses applies. I find Sharpie very useful but its durability is poor, even handling the part wears the colour off but the scribed line does persist just not so easy to see.

Mike

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
18/07/2019 23:02:37

Oops tripped up there.

Mike

image.jpeg

Edited By Mike Poole on 18/07/2019 23:06:41

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
17/07/2019 19:43:21

The thing that really spanks my electricity bill is the tumble dryer but having said that the long list of devices that are always on make the biggest contribution to the bill.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest