By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Metrication of models
04/10/2019 19:28:08

Fortunately I feel at home and competent with both systems. The thing that fouls things up is the availability of of stock material and fasteners. As a price premium is beginning to develop for non metric tools and materials and in the case of models many people make fastners to suit with non standard heads then I am beginning to think that why not use the most convenient threads and stock. Many things can be changed to the nearest metric size without making a problem. If you do build a published design and deviate then anyone who may inherit the item may curse a hybrid but I think I would just please myself. I have amassed a significant collection of all flavours of taps and dies including a rather nice set of LH BSF taps and dies, it was a rather comedy moment when I realised it was LH when I got it home, I still can’t decide whether I would have bought it had I realised. I wonder if I will ever use it?

Mike

Thread: What are members thoughts on Gap Bed lathes ?
03/10/2019 22:23:47

What would you do when a job comes along that would be too big for a non gap machine? Some posters have said they use the gap very rarely but unless you have access to a club workshop with larger machines or a friends machine then you may have to pay a machine shop to do the job, they can be very helpful and do it for a donation to the tea swindle or eye wateringly expensive. I don’t believe the gap has a real downside so why not have one? It could be very useful.

Mike

03/10/2019 12:18:42

I don’t see a problem with a well designed gap bed lathe, a gap with a removable piece of bed means the gap can be bigger without the saddle overhanging the gap when not in use. Very handy for flywheels and wheels and save having a very large lathe.

Mike

Thread: Hammer/Drift
01/10/2019 15:30:16

**LINK**

The Barson was on most drills at work but in more recent times I have taken to the type in the link, my feeling is that I don’t like the side impact load from the hammer on the bearings, industrial machines are very heavily built but on hobby machines I feel they need a bit of TLC especially as repairs come out of my pocket. The downside is that I keep a small copper mallet to seat the drill in the taper but this really is a gentle tap and some times I just use quill pressure on a block of wood.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 01/10/2019 15:33:59

Thread: Turning between centres on Super 7
01/10/2019 15:00:20

Having piqued my own interest in face drivers I stumbled across that same picture Nigel, I can see this might get on the stuff to do list one day. I can also imagine a saw cut across the end of the job could be used to reduce some of the end thrust required. Plenty of food for thought.

Mike

01/10/2019 10:01:04

**LINK**

I think this may be an hydraulic version but it shows a decent turning cut. They are quite expensive for a commercial item but a shop made version could be made.

Mike

01/10/2019 08:32:24

The chisels are spring loaded and do mark the end face where they bite into the job, sometimes you see the little marks left on the end of a component. They are often used for grinding but they are also used for turning. There are videos on YouTube.

Mike

Thread: Mini Lathe - Chuck comes out of the MT
01/10/2019 08:22:06

There are many versions of die holder for the tailstock that just let the die self feed once started. A chuck mounted on the same floating holder will allow the tap to back out without having to push the tailstock and maybe damage small threads.

Mike

Thread: Turning between centres on Super 7
01/10/2019 08:08:52

Face DriverOne of these could solve the drive dog problem, they are called face drivers.

Mike

30/09/2019 20:48:00

The centre for the headstock should be soft so it can be turned, usually done for perfect concentricity but if you feel it is too long then turn to your desired length. The lathe was supplied with a catch plate which is intended for driving work between centres. You may not have one as they are often separated when the lathe acquires a new owner. For a quick and dirty between centres job just keep a piece of bar with a 60° point and put it in the chuck and skim the point, it will now be dead true, use a cranked drive dog to drive off a chuck jaw.

mike

Jason beat me to it, must refresh before writingsmiley

Edited By Mike Poole on 30/09/2019 20:54:05

Thread: MEW No.286
30/09/2019 18:35:58

And mine.

Mike

Thread: Cutting tools - what type is most suitable?
29/09/2019 22:34:07

Well said Andrew smiley

Mike

Thread: Unusual GPO hammer?
29/09/2019 22:16:02

Our stores code book had many strange descriptions, the stores personnel were mostly not tradesmen so accurately describing many items was beyond their personal experience so some strange descriptions were listed. Wading through a massive fan fold catalog was a time consuming task when you were in a hurry for a spare part. Even in recent times when the catalog is computerised some skill is required in search terms to find what you were looking for. MG would be a useful man to have around with his mastery of search skills.

Mike

Thread: ML7
28/09/2019 10:22:33

I have used a vertical slide and a Rodney attachment on my Myford, both methods spurred me to get a milling machine. The Myford cross slide is rather light for milling but it has been used by many people and done good work. The vertical slide must have been one of the most common Myford accessories and can be used to hold an auxiliary spindle to mill a job without taking it from the chuck. I much prefer the milling machine now I have one.

Mike

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
28/09/2019 00:17:05

A socket used on a production task in a car factory may have to perform 250,000 tightening operations a year if it is just required to tighten one fastener on each vehicle. I doubt even a busy mechanic would even come close. It’s unlikely that a lifetime guarantee would include production use. The best quality sockets begin to look a bit tired quite quickly subjected to the continuous onslaught of production work.

Mike

Thread: Inverter Voltages
27/09/2019 23:43:01

A VFD will be able to supply the motor with what it needs, the rest of the controls will need to be adapted to control the VFD. As you say you are not requiring the variable speed feature then you may find that a better solution would be a Transwave style converter which you could just plug the whole machine into and not need to do anymore.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 27/09/2019 23:43:34

Thread: cutter slippage using ER series collets
27/09/2019 23:31:50

Obviously you are using a reduced shank cutter which is probably going to push ER 25 a bit harder. The correct torque for tightening an ER chuck is surprisingly high and worth checking that you are meeting this requirement. To get to the bottom of this some checking is required that everything meets the specification for this setup. Unless you have spent big bucks on a Regofix setup or similar quality then I feel it is not unreasonable to suspect that some of the hardware is maybe off spec or maybe you are not meeting the tightening recommendations. Check everything.

Mike

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
27/09/2019 18:06:43

I think the pin type retainer is really for industrial tooling where the end tool needs replacing regularly whereas a mechanics type application needs changing often to suit each task.

Mike

Thread: Worried
27/09/2019 16:51:59

Miles per gallon was straightforward when you bought fuel by the gallon and your car/ bike measured distance in miles as do road signs. Now we have the clumsy conversion of 4.54approx. to find how many gallons we have purchased and the price of a gallon. Luckily most cars now give you a whole set of data concerning consumption in the units you prefer as well as range and travelled distance. Now I entertain myself with seeing how much I can extend the range where once it was how far round you could get the speedo and other daft speed related games.

Mike

26/09/2019 13:09:25

Is anyone actually interested in buying fuel in litres? I still think in miles per gallon and so do my cars, litres per 100km does not seem to be of any interest to anyone in the UK.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest