By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
23/06/2020 16:12:59

Having some experience of engineering products I feel that I can determine the dodgy from the ok. Many people who join this forum are novices and in search of genuine advice. Some YouTube reviews I have seen have me muttering “you must be joking”. Some eBay sellers are selling stuff that is far from acceptable and does not meet UK standards and regulations. An example is a couple of lamp holders I recently purchased, having decided to make a pair of the ubiquitous copper tube table light I was looking for some suitable lamp holders, suspecting I would probably finish up putting them in the bin I purchased a couple. To call them shocking could literally be true, no earth terminal on a metal lamp holder the cap of the ES holder was still visible and touchable so the shroud is inadequate, the insulation was cardboard and no effective strain relief for the cable. A Canadian YouTube instructor was unconcerned when someone raised this in the comments. I doubt Canada would give these holders an ok just as the UK doesn’t.

I must support this forum no platforming inadequate and probably illegal supply paths, the quest for a bargain can be taken too far, if you want to be bombarded with dodgy adverts then Facebook will be more than happy to oblige.

Mike

Thread: Grade of soft solder required to achieve a nice rounded fillet
23/06/2020 10:33:52

I think lead was eliminated from car production many years ago, the last car we used lead on was the Rolls Royce and that was an old design from the 70s but still in production in the 90s. I expect classic repair workshops still use lead but the H&S precautions were onerous in the factory, air fed suits and shower facilities and negative pressure discing booths were installed, a far cry from the open air discing and hot lead application on general production lines. It makes you wonder how dangerous it was as I can’t think of any one who suffered from any associated illness, perhaps they just used to die and no one knew why.

Mike

Thread: The cost of cheap (Free) materials
22/06/2020 19:11:23

Nothing wrong with scrap and off cuts, but if you know what they are it helps, some are best left in the bin.

Mike

Thread: Constantly Having To Log In To The Website
22/06/2020 09:51:42

I think it has been mentioned that this site is experiencing very heavy traffic since lockdown, it is probably shedding inactive connections more quickly than usual.

Mike

Thread: Can summer car tyres be used in winter?
17/06/2020 19:22:02

The Scandinavians and the Germans are set up for winter tyres, they have storage facilities for your complete winter wheels and changing over is like a pit stop. It was a standing joke at the factory that everyone with a BMW on our car scheme would be a no show when it snowed, in more recent years winter tyres were offered on the car scheme as a BMW saloon is unlikely to get off your drive on summer tyres in the snow. A friend had to leave his M5 at home and come to work in his stepsons 1 litre Corsa which had no problems on its skinny tyres.

Mike

Thread: Hermes Parcels
16/06/2020 19:03:10

The chap who delivers in our village is a local bloke and he is great, unfortunately he is only the last pair of hands in a long chain.

Mike

Thread: R8 or morse taper 3?
14/06/2020 22:55:16

Running without a key in the R8 spindle could make removing a finger collet tricky if the drawbar doesn’t unscrew cleanly, I think I would use a tube and the quill or table to force the collet into the taper and hope it holds tight enough to undo the drawbar. Probably unlikely but **** happens.

Mike

Edited By JasonB on 15/06/2020 06:54:46

Thread: Wooden Gears
14/06/2020 16:56:48

I knew a chap who built a wooden engine, it wooden go.smiley

Mike

Thread: Make-shift surface grinding of a threading die face
14/06/2020 14:48:12

You could try machining a recess with a carbide tool, just facing off the back will compromise the dimple positions in the die holder. HSS will machine with a carbide tool and carbon steel should be ok as well. An alternative to threading up to a shoulder is to machine an undercut as would be required if screwcutting.

Mike

Thread: Drilling HSS
14/06/2020 08:46:57

It is unlikely that HSS will soften by just getting it to red heat and letting it cool, you may get lucky though.

Mike

Thread: A curious thermometer
13/06/2020 11:24:32

I’m impressed Michael, 45min to find the answer and post itlaugh

Mike

Thread: Does anyone view this forum by first selecting a 'topic'?
13/06/2020 10:49:24

I do exactly what Jason describes but it must help when you are looking for an old subject or post to be in a logical place. The google search limited to this site is useful but there is a skill in getting google to find what you are looking for. It is evident from some of the questions asked on here that some people struggle to get what they want from google. There are a load of logical operators that can be applied to a search to narrow the results to what is relevant to your enquiry’s

Mike

Thread: R8 or morse taper 3?
13/06/2020 10:14:08

The peg in the R8 socket is to stop the collet spinning while the drawbar is tightened. If the taper can spin then the cutter could also spin. The R8 system does not seem to suffer from cutters moving in the collet or the collet spinning in the spindle. I suspect that any R8 problems will be caused by insufficient tightening poor cutter shank size or condition or worn collet etc.

Mike

Thread: Boxford AUD motor drive wheel plus reverse switch issue
12/06/2020 10:45:11

Double post

Edited By Mike Poole on 12/06/2020 10:45:44

12/06/2020 10:43:27

A bit late to join in on this one but in some of the early photos it looked as if the pulleys were misaligned, if you use a straight edge on the side of the pulleys you can check that the pulleys are in the correct position along the shaft and that they are parallel with each other. Make sure you allow for any difference in the thickness of the pulleys. It is surprising how misaligned pulleys will try to walk along the shaft. You may have found that the motor had moved and was generating your original problem. Glad you have it running sweetly now but could still be worth an alignment check.

Mike

Thread: Surface Plate & Height Gauge recommendations
09/06/2020 08:53:31

I have a Shardlow conventional height gauge. I first used one as an apprentice and liked the fine feed adjustment which is engaged with a lever. I preferred it to the Chestermans which we also used. A digital height gauge has the useful feature that zero can be anywhere you like but with a conventional one the surface plate is always zero. You will need to be handy with mental arithmetic to mark out anything that is not datumed from the surface plate and dimensioned from that datum.
Mike

Thread: Can you guess what this object is?
06/06/2020 17:48:51

A tricky thing to measure I would thinksmiley

Mike

Thread: New or old style 3 phase motors?
06/06/2020 14:10:55

Inverters have improved the waveform presented to the motors, some early inverters had very poor waveforms and produced a lot of noise and heat with the harmonics delivered to the motor. A decent modern inverter will give a motor a much easier time. Unless you have a use for the motors that you have I would run one and see if it runs happily. Inverters in the form of a UPS or power conditioner can be used to give a cleaner supply than the mains in some difficult environments.

Mike

Thread: Surface Plate & Height Gauge recommendations
05/06/2020 10:54:49

There were a couple of Lumsden grinders in our machine shop but even though they are the king of grinders for material removal I don’t think they would trouble the rest of the machines in the shop for removal ratelaugh

Mike

Thread: Cross slide adjustment?
03/06/2020 13:40:56

Backlash is pretty much a fact of life with conventional screws, if you have adjustable nuts then you may find that eliminating the free movement in one position will make things tight in another. As long as you always approach a setting from the same direction and if you back off make sure you exceed the amount of backlash before reapproaching your setting it shouldn’t cause any difficulties.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest