By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Source of Stainless Strip
06/11/2019 16:24:40

Have PM,d you Neil.

Mike

Thread: Installation of a Myford (or any machine tool)
06/11/2019 08:58:51

I think I would just use a couple of lengths of heavy box tubing, one at each end. If the floor is reasonably level then the lathe can be levelled with the raising blocks if you have them. If you wish to level the cabinet then use a suitable arrangement of bolts and nuts to fix the stand to the box tube. I would drill holes in the box so you can use a socket to tighten the bolts if you want to bolt it all down to the floor.

Mike

Thread: Changing a Motor from Star to Delta
05/11/2019 13:41:51

Motor.jpeg

A picture can be worth a thousand words.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 05/11/2019 13:42:06

Thread: building a myford super 7 from bits ?
05/11/2019 13:13:10

I suppose the unknown is how much fitting is done when the lathe is built in the factory, hopefully Myford would have chosen accurate manufacture rather than expensive hand fitting. As the donor lathes will need dismantling and you will have all the major parts for the long bed build then I would put it together and see what you have got. Many lathes seem to get broken for parts and nobody has complained on here of parts not being interchangeable. It’s got to be worth a go.

Mike

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
04/11/2019 09:18:21

Good practice has to be never leave a chuck key in the chuck, there is no good reason to do so. Our eagle eyed instructor had a spring loaded key for anyone caught transgressing. If anyone fears that they may be unable to stick to the rule then a nest for the key with a sensor interlocked in the start circuit could give peace of mind rather than an interlocked chuck guard which is often useless for any practical purpose and can be a hindrance, the nest is useful for finding the chuck key which is remarkably good at hiding if just put in the tray. Just because we are out of the influence of the H&S in our own workshop it does not excuse us from doing a risk assessment and taking steps to work safely. Some posters have mentioned personal issues that need to be taken into account to keep themselves safe and as none of us is immune from getting older which often comes with things that didn’t trouble us when younger then a revue of how steady we are and alert may mean we need to adjust our safe working strategy.

Mike

Thread: The Great Escape
03/11/2019 07:20:54

I suppose using sugar to case harden steel you will go through the caramelisation stagesmiley.

Mike

Thread: When does Silver steel not need hardening and Tempering
02/11/2019 21:21:33

The problem of producing a flat square anvil has crossed my mind before, the situation that got me thinking was producing additional rods for a depth mic. I didn’t come up with a solution but Clicksprings method of making polished screw head faces seemed to have possibilities. If anyone knows how the faces of the anvils of a micrometer are mirror finished and square are produced then it would be interesting to know.

Mike

Thread: sievert cyclone burner
02/11/2019 21:04:19

I think the important thing about using a torch in a confined space is where the burner draws its air from, burners need to draw air from an area not in the confined space. Sievert make some burners that draw air from the base of a long tube and the gas air mixture burns at the end so it is not trying to burn the exhaust gases in the firebox.

Mike

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
31/10/2019 10:36:27
Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 31/10/2019 10:01:57:

. The silliest device I came across was on a drilling machine,there was a long adjustable rod like an old car ariel verticaly mounted ,and secured to motor switch at top of the drill so was very close to the drill bit,knock the rod and the drill stopped,ok if the work jumped up the drill the spindle stopped instantly as there was a spindle brake,but it had a major snag,a bit of swarf a couple of inches long would hit the rod and stop the drill,absolutely useless,if you wanted to get on with a job,

One of these was fitted to the 8ft radial drilling machine in the tool room, it operated a DC injection brake which was near instant in operation. It was a nuisance drilling steel but cast iron was ok. It was mandatory to have the antenna in position and very obvious if you didn’t. A tangle with that machine would not be pretty and death a definite option.

Mike

31/10/2019 00:05:09

Haven’t got one but it would soon be removed if I did, the guards on the mill and drill are both in storage. I feel that guards are for the protection of people who do not understand the dangers and how to work safely. Useful guards can be positioned to deal with swarf or coolant that makes using a machine uncomfortable. A lathe chuck guard seems only useful for making sure you have removed the chuck key which so far in 50 years of lathe use I have not done, having said that I am sure to do it tomorrow. For controlling swarf and coolant most are near useless. In professional workshops guards were mainly used to protect people using gangways from extremely hot high velocity chips, the machine operator generally is out of the firing line. When I retired the maintenance workshop machines had just been fitted with guards to protect third parties as many people used the workshop, the machinists were not impressed.

Mike

Thread: Pulley flank angles - help !
30/10/2019 17:44:56

I wouldn’t worry too much over the angle, for optimum power transmission and belt life it might be best to get it right but otherwise it probably won’t be critical.

Mike

Thread: AVO 8 Mk2 meter wire size
30/10/2019 17:33:47

The wire will have a coating on it which will need to be stripped before measuring. We used to just burn it off in a flame and then clean before measuring for motor rewinds. A fine wire can very easily melt in a flame so take it steady. A chemical stripper may be more gentle but I am not sure what would be best.

Mike

Thread: Colchester Master Mk1 lifting + moving advice
29/10/2019 11:02:55

The biggest risk with a top heavy load like a lathe is toppling over, always make sure that you or any bits of you are never at risk if it goes over, you will not be able to save it so let it go. I would strip all parts off that could be damaged if it goes over and put some blocks of wood to take any impact if it does. A heavy gang may work hard assembling the gear to move things but they don’t use their own strength to do the lifting. It might just be worth employing some experienced people, apart from the exchange of drinking vouchers you won’t need to assemble and hire any gear, just make sure the kettle is working and you have some good tea, or coffee if they are a posh heavy gang.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 29/10/2019 11:03:53

Thread: Buying a Propane Torch
28/10/2019 18:25:53

I went the sievert way and I am perfectly happy, plenty of suppliers offer a starter kit which is a general purpose burner, handle, hose and regulator. As it is a modular system it can be customised to meet any specific requirements. If you can get hands on with both the main players then it might help make your choice. There is quite a variation in kit prices but make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

Mike

Thread: Jacobs model 6414 chuck - removal
27/10/2019 23:22:59

I do not have first hand experience of this drill and chuck fitting but sometimes there is a screw to retain the chuck, open the jaws fully and look to see if a screw is present at the bottom of the jaw orifice. This may not apply to your machine at all but can often apply to drills with a reverse function.

Mike

Thread: What to do with a stationary engine
27/10/2019 23:04:31

As the weather in Norway can be a bit chilly and I have noticed that riding in cold weather can cause shrinkage then a bit of warm water could be welcome. Water heated handlebars could be a useful mod for winter riding.smiley

Mike

26/10/2019 22:06:51

**LINK**

This looks like a bit of fun to have with a stationary engine, seems ideal for anyone with steampunk interests as well.

Mike

Thread: The wonderful world of gauge blocks
26/10/2019 21:51:36

The passion for dimensioning drawings for models using fractions of an inch is I feel ridiculous, a sixtyfourth of an inch is 0.015625 so most people are going to call it 15 or 15 and a half thou and the rest is lost using practical tolerances and home workshop equipment. A set of gauge blocks is not able to accurately produce a size involving a sixtyfourth but for practical purposes it’s not going to matter but it’s going to bother anyone with CDO ( that’s OCD but with the letters in the right order).

Mike

Thread: Coke for brazing purposes
23/10/2019 10:59:33

I suppose breeze blocks will soon be a thing of the past as one of the major ingredients was ash from coal fired power stations.

Mike

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
23/10/2019 09:03:19

It’s £25 for a ticket bought on the day at the Motorcycle Show and you will queue for very expensive food and drink and it will be crowded, many of the criticisms voiced apply to all shows and always will. The content has changed over the years and it can only be a personal decision whether to attend. Rock concerts are now very expensive in my opinion and the days when I saw 50 top bands in a year would be very expensive to do now.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest