By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WM18 - Broken it again :(
20/02/2020 08:32:21

I’ll pop down the Workshop and bin my radius gauges now! Well perhaps not.smiley

Mike

Thread: Myford ML7 headstock diameter
20/02/2020 08:29:34

The downside of overboring the Myford spindle is that the morse taper starts to get very short, depending on what you may need to mount this could start to be a problem. Even the standard bore does nick a little bit of the morse taper. I suppose now that many of us have a milling machine the usefulness of mounting live tooling in the headstock has rather diminished and there are workarounds that get over the problem.

Mike

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
19/02/2020 14:25:18

Most of the Red kites in our local area are likely to be descended from the original small population introduced some years ago. Does the limited gene pool that they are descended from have an impact on their health and well-being as it does on humans who breed too closely?

I suppose they may have added new blood since the original stock to add some diversity.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 19/02/2020 14:27:17

Edited By Mike Poole on 19/02/2020 14:28:53

19/02/2020 14:19:12

A sea eagle has been spotted with our local kite population near the M40 where it cuts the Chilterns.

Mike

Thread: WM18 - Broken it again :(
19/02/2020 14:11:49

Dirty Harry said “a man has got to know his limitations” it applies to his machines as well. smiley

Mike

19/02/2020 09:52:23

If you use a variable speed motor to control speed then don’t forget that the power is also reduced. A 1hp motor only produces that power at full speed, at half speed it will reduce the power by half (roughly).There are calculations for material removal rates and the power required. A large drill will need to be run at a suitable slow speed but it still wants power to cut. As Jason says he adjusts his cut and speed to accommodate the reduction in power. Speed reduction by belt drive and gears has the advantage of keeping full power (ignoring losses). Electronic drives do fall short when larger diameters need slow speed but still want full power for a reasonable material removal rate. VFD conversions of conventional lathes have the benefit of retaining the mechanical speed selection so for larger diameters the back gear can be utilised so the speed control can be run at a high speed and thus develop full power to effectively multiply the torque available for cutting. Low speed high power exposes the compromise of electronic speed control.

Mike

Thread: Did i make the right choice buying an old banger Myford lathe.
18/02/2020 13:06:50

Some of the defects in the video appear to be transit damage but we will see if a silk purse can be made out of a sows ear. If the price was right then the remedial work could be regarded as an enjoyable project, if you just want to take it out of the box and crack on with the jobs you bought it for the sorting it out could be an unwelcome task.

Mike

Thread: Why the differential?
17/02/2020 21:53:18

A new chuck from the east will benefit from a strip, clean and light tidy up with a fine needle file. Relube and assemble and you will likely find it rather smoother and lighter in action. Worked for me. Fine fetteling by hand costs money so is often neglected to get the best price but the basic machining will be accurate and probably done by high quality CNC machines. A bit of TLC can be a pleasurable activity with a satisfying result.

Mike

Thread: Bulbs
17/02/2020 21:31:25
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 17/02/2020 16:06:52:
Posted by Dennis Rayner on 17/02/2020 15:29:05:

And try explaining to older folk that you don't buy bulbs by wattage anymore - it's LUMENS!!

Even worse, we can no longer hint a friend is dim by suggesting he's a 40W bulb. Even Einstein wasn't as bright as a 40W LED!

I thought dimness was measured against a Toc H lampsmiley

Mike

Thread: Facing off backwards
17/02/2020 10:08:03

I use both directions if the tool is suitable, a centre hole is best to start from the middle though as the plunge to start off can be a bit messy.

Mike

Thread: Bicycle pedals
16/02/2020 16:30:19

I used my fathers Faber Castell slip stick until I built my Sinclair Scientific, the RPN was something new to me but it was an entertaining machine. The trig functions were a bit wild compared to 5 figure tables but mostly close enough for jazz.

Mike

16/02/2020 12:52:03

If there was a problem with the threads on pedal cranks then pedals would be falling off all the time, like others here I have snapped a few spindles but never had one unscrew. Cycling with a snapped pedal does rather damage your shoes on the sharp stub.

Mike

Thread: Did i make the right choice buying an old banger Myford lathe.
14/02/2020 16:24:17

When the Myford introduced the ML7 to the world just after WW2 it was a huge step forward for the hobby lathe. The Boxford gave a bit more capacity and probably cost rather more. One of Myford’s useful selling points was the large range of accessories for the lathe which gave it great versatility and could be the only machine in the hobby workshop, even doing service as a drill. Milling, gear cutting, taper turning, a screw cutting gearbox and more were available with the right accessories. This is probably what made it such a winner. Today’s home workshop is very likely to have a Milling machine and a rotary table and or dividing head. Despite how it may feel, many of us have a significant amount of disposable income, for lots of us a mortgage is forgotten about so we live rent free and many will be lucky enough to have a substantial pension and a real possibility of a fairly long retirement. We are probably in the golden age to equip a home workshop. I expect the generations following us will benefit as we fall off the perch and leave some very well equipped workshops.

Mike

Thread: water hammer
13/02/2020 00:13:54

I have had water hammer and it has been caused by a faulty valve, in my case a Torbeck type ball cock. I have had no trouble since I replaced it.

Mike

Thread: Fast bit of engineering work.
13/02/2020 00:04:15

I don’t know what we are messing about at, the Chinese build a 1000 bed hospital in a week.

Mike

12/02/2020 23:37:31

I feel sport should be discouraged, I seem to know lots of sporty people who have worn various bits of their body out prematurely. A friend ran cross country for the Army and is 8 years younger than me but my knees are in better shape than his. My back gives me some hassle but that started before I was a fat bastard. Some of the 30 year olds I worked with who played football, ran ultra marathons and ten peak challenges are wearing bits out faster than me.

Is looking after your body not pushing it to its limits?

Mike.

lazy fat sod 63 years old with nearly everything working ok.

Thread: Myford S7 headstock on ML7 bed
09/02/2020 21:44:08
Posted by Brian Wood on 07/02/2020 15:41:56:

Dave,

The ML7R is a hybrid lathe with an ML7 bed, fitted with the ML7 cross slide/topslide, but a Super 7 headstock and tailstock.

I don't imagine Myford made a different bed for the S7 but KWIL's point on matching the centre heights between headstock and tailstock is relevant and it might pay you to fit both.

Regards

Brian

to be a nit picker the ML7R has the Super 7 bed, headstock, tailstock and saddle/apron of the old non power crossfeed Super 7. The economies were made by fitting the cross and top slide from the ML7 and not fitting the clutch, the countershaft is unique to the 7R but can be replaced by the Super 7 clutch version. I think the idea was to consolidate the bed across the range and delete the old ML 7 bed and 5/8” leadscrew. No doubt an ultra nit picker will find something I have forgotten. Just remembered the leadscrew handwheel was also deleted on the 7R

Mike

Thread: J'accuse
09/02/2020 19:32:01

Sweep the floor with a big magnet and get as far under things as possible. I dropped a pound in the pub the other night and found it ten feet away.

Mike

Thread: What would I use a Plasma Cutter For
09/02/2020 11:16:28

Probably very handy if you are a fabricator welder but apart from making some jobs easy most jobs can be tackled another way.

Mike

Thread: Brazing torch
08/02/2020 20:00:21

**LINK**
Flamefast supply propane/air torches

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest