By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: making spindle bearings
03/05/2022 11:05:05

I once had a Sugden Connoisseur turntable which had a very simple but finely machined shaft and plain bearing, the shaft had a very fine ground finish and the brass or bronze bearing was a smooth running fit, in the bottom of the bush was a ball bearing that took the weight of the platen and provided a single point low friction bearing. By all accounts it was a well regarded concept and gave good results. The finish of silver steel is decidedly rough compared to the finish of the Sugden spindle.

Mike

Thread: METAL DUST & VFDs
03/05/2022 05:28:44

I would fit the VFD in an enclosure anyway, you may find that is does not run too hot and fans will be unnecessary. If it does get too warm then a fan extracting the air from the enclosure and a filter on the other end of the enclosure will keep the inside clean. Heat exchangers are available for control panels that keep the interior air separate from the outside air but they still need filter maintenance.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 03/05/2022 10:41:49

Thread: Workshop warming
28/04/2022 17:59:04
Posted by Ady1 on 28/04/2022 13:58:49:

I got a fleecy "snood" as an xmas present and went out to buy 2 more within a week because they are so good

Wish I'd known about them when I used to hillwalk, been wearing one practically every day since I got it

We don't get much global warming in Jockland

Edited By Ady1 on 28/04/2022 14:06:36

When I was a hairy 1970s apprentice we had to wear a snood to avoid being scalped alive by rotating machinery, ‘snood’ seems to cover a variety of garments, the version we had to wear was a hat with net bag to take care of our treasured locks, it seems now to be commonly used to describe a neck and head warmer.

Mike

Thread: Alternative Ways of Retaining Shafts
26/04/2022 15:28:31

How about threading the end of the bar and loctite or solder a nut. If removal is required for dismantling then loctite may be favourite.

Mike

Thread: model engineers work shop
25/04/2022 13:16:24

Page 56 is a Proxxon advert so no vital content is missing, Proxxon may like to have their advert available though.

Mike

Thread: High Speed Bench Drill?
22/04/2022 21:31:28

A sensitive feed is an important part of a high speed drilling spindle, sub millimetre drills need a high speed and sensitive feel to avoid breakage, the sensitive feel is probably more important than the optimum speed which can reach extremely high levels for non ferrous materials.

Mike

Thread: Supplier of 7/32" Dowel Pins Please?
22/04/2022 21:20:24

The Marlco knurler used 7/32 pins and I used hardened silver steel to replace the ones on mine, it has worked fine so far but I am not an industrial user. The shank of a drill is likely to be undersize as there is a very slight reduction in diameter from the tip of a drill. The pins are a friction fit in the body of the Marlco and this is probably the critical part of the pin size, the knurl is only going to run on one side of the pin so a good fit is probably not too important.

Mike

Thread: Ping - and a screw is lost
20/04/2022 06:48:46

If the pingf**kit has not flown too far, a sweep round with a large magnet can sometimes find it, it doesn’t work if it is not magnetic though.

Mike

Thread: Before calculators
19/04/2022 19:01:27

I will try

Mike

19/04/2022 17:00:26

Just ask Alexa.

Mike

Thread: Sigh, practicing a skill I would rather not need
17/04/2022 18:12:39

Are you tapping a difficult material or just suffering from a wobble that snaps the tap? A difficult material can be made a bit easier by drilling for a less than full thread depth. To combat the wobbles it can help to use a drilling machine with a spring loaded centre to keep the tap true to the work, a mill or the lathe can also be used to provide the same service or a universal pillar tool if you have one.

Mike

Thread: Need a pen to draw the "finest possible" lines?
17/04/2022 17:37:23

The Pilot Frixion pens can be erased by heat but 0.5mm seems to be on the large side for your requirements.

Mike

Thread: Redundancy, electrical
17/04/2022 10:53:16

3G’s days are numbered and I imagine 4G will be next although some years away yet. Whether we like it or not computerised devices will become obsolete, especially ones that connect to a network of any sort. My iphone7 battery which is coming up to 6 years old cannot survive a day if you actually use it for anything. I bought an iPhone 13 as I was going to a gig and only had electronic tickets so if the phone died then no tickets, printable or paper tickets cost more. A new battery may get a few more years but the phone will probably run out of update support in the not too distant future. The new phone cloned all the information from the old one in a very painless process that only took a few minutes, I was impressed. Although the obsolescence of devices is expensive and annoying I don’t think it is really practical to try and stand still, embracing the technology can make life easier than trying to resist it in my opinion but one of the reasons I retired was I had lost the ability to remember everything I was being taught on courses, I understood all I was taught but was just not remembering enough.

Mike

Thread: RS Components Datasheets
15/04/2022 16:34:34

This is an unhelpful reply but I remember the data sheet library very well, my job evolved into a hands off role and the satisfaction of bench repair work was left behind, happy days though.

Mike

Thread: Before calculators
15/04/2022 16:26:26

I am not sure my slide rule would be good for 1000 decimal places even with an eye loupe, 3 may have been optimistic. I don’t think I have ever owned a calculator that would do more than 10. Machining to 0.001” or 0.01mm is pushing my skills and equipment.

Mike

15/04/2022 16:17:27

While at school I used log tables which were actually a book of four figure tables including roots and reciprocals and the trig functions plus various other tables, I started my apprenticeship in September 1972 having just turned 16 and my fathers Faber Castell slide rule found a new lease of life, 1973 saw me build a Sinclair Scientific calculator and be initiated into Reverse Polish Notation (RPN), the trig functions were pretty rough but close enough for jazz. To this day I remember the log of pi was 0.4972 or when I got 5 figure tables 0.49715, it’s funny how these things stick in your mind.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 16/04/2022 13:09:31

Thread: condensation
13/04/2022 11:22:22

Would I be right in thinking that heating only needs to exceed the dew point or a de humidifier only needs to dry air to avoid condensation at dew point temperature? Dew point sensors seem to be rather a lot of money but the calculation seems to only need to know the temperature and humidity so maybe an arduino could do the calculation and control equipment to keep the workshop safe. The worst situation seems to be a cold spell followed by a warm wind coming in, my workshop could look like it had been hosed in that situation.
Mike

Thread: Imperial v Metric Measures
09/04/2022 21:40:27

Reading through this thread I have noticed a number of mistakes which are probably typos but if they were to reach the shop floor they would result in some unexpected products. Maybe it highlights the problems of converting between systems.

Mike

Thread: Wiring and connectors
08/04/2022 22:50:02

**LINK**
wiring will be damaged if it is exposed to winter weather, crimping and soldering are both effective but I believe a good crimped connection is many times more reliable than soldering. Having made your choice of connection I would focus on positioning connections out of reach of the weather and where they must be in vulnerable locations then make them as waterproof as practically possible.

Mike

Thread: Optimum Milling Machines
05/04/2022 20:41:54

Stefan mentions that his optimum machine is the Rong Fu RF45 badged and maybe specified by Optimum.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest