By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: security Wheel bolts
09/09/2016 21:44:59

If it is the rotating sleeve type I have heard that hammering a socket over the sleeve can crush it enough to give enough grip to undo it. (Probably best not to use your best Snap On socket)

Mike

Thread: FLORID SCRIPT
09/09/2016 21:19:09

I think Rory Gallaghers Strat must be the ultimate distressed guitar, Fender even issued a replica, why I don't know but I did take a trip to Harrods for a close look at the original even though I saw Rory play it at a few gigs.

Mike

Thread: What size drill
08/09/2016 21:03:24

Jobber drills are tapered towards the shank, I seem to remember a figure of about a thou per inch of length. The web also thickens towards the shank so a much sharpened or resharpened broken drill will have a large chisel point and require thinning. All my drills (mostly Dormer) measure undersized the same as Andrews. I find that if the finished size is important then double drilling will give a more accurate fit and can even be a bit tight. If freehand sharpening is used then it is very easy to cut oversize unless great care is used to keep the cutting edges the same length and the chisel point the correct angle.

Mike

Thread: Will they add the drill or tap you most often break ?
06/09/2016 19:31:09

I did a small repair on a 1000ton Demag crane and the crew told me that if the crane were overloaded it would send a report to Demag so they would have data if any claims were made for failure of the crane fabrication. The machines are watching us.

Mike

Thread: Anyone fancy a chew-chew restoration.? ;)
06/09/2016 14:05:26

That will need a big bucket of brick cleaner!

Mike

Thread: Pros and Cons of the ER collet system
06/09/2016 11:10:41

Yes Raymond, tongue firmly in cheek, I use ER on my mill and lathe for work and tool holding also use on JS hex and square blocks and have a small ER 11 fitted on my Arrand spindle. No complaints at all. I suspect that most of the home workshop community rarely approach the limits of the ER system and will be entirely satisfied. The industrial user will want to run near the limits of maximum machining rates to maximise productivity and will thus expose any limitations of the ER design.

Mike

06/09/2016 09:57:04

Lucky I haven't binned my Clarkson Autolock yet. Sounds like this ER idea is a load of rubbish!!

Mike

Thread: Is CNC cheating
03/09/2016 06:16:14

I see you have been busy since Barbarian Shaun. Nice job yet again. Can anyone be serious that you didn't make this magnificent creation? A CNC mill will make nothing until someone creates a task for it to do.

Mike

02/09/2016 09:51:01

If Shaun Wainford was making his Barbarian Motorcycle by hand I think he would still be a long way from completion. The great thing about CNC is that it pushes the boundary of what can be made on a mill or lathe. I don't have any CNC equipment at the moment and enjoy hand control but power feed is close to being fitted as this produces a better finish than I can, even when I concentrate. I once watched an NC Marwin make a 2ft diameter turbine, it took about six weeks to make. That was 38 years a go, to make it by hand the customer would probably still be waiting.

Mike

Edited By Michael Poole on 02/09/2016 10:00:27

01/09/2016 10:10:54

If I were building a V12 or 18 cylinder radial engine I would be wishing I had CNC. I enjoy doing a job once but repetition gets a bit boring. The time invested in learning CAD and using a CNC machine would probably pay dividends in the long run.

Mike

31/08/2016 23:00:27

Building loco's and traction engines can be done with the same process as the original but I doubt the parts for a gas turbine could be made by hand control of a mill, at least a copy mill or CNC would be required. One advantage of CNC is that parts can be designed to use the machine. If CNC had been available to the old loco designers they may have looked very different.

Mike

31/08/2016 22:49:10

Where do you draw the line? Most people building a model will use some bought in components eg. Castings, fasteners, rivets, laser cut frames or spokes. Often the task of making the boiler is contracted out. CNC exchanges one set of skills for another if you do your own coding. I feel comfortable that CNC can be used by the model builder and not declare that it is not his own work.

Mike

Thread: DRO with magnetic scales
30/08/2016 12:26:43

At the Bristol Show I saw this firm www.ems-i.co.uk I have no connection with the firm just reporting their presence at the show.

Mike

Thread: What to get: Imperial or metric
28/08/2016 00:14:02

The most nonsensical thing about imperial measurements is fractions, if a drawing is dimensioned in thous then they are easy to add/subtract and relate directly to machines dials, a shame rules have fractions.

Mike

Thread: Bench grinder bearing replacment
22/08/2016 21:27:58

I would go with tapping the shaft with a soft faced mallet, a few not too heavy taps should show whether the end housing is going to part from the body easily. There may be some notches on the joint line to allow a flat punch to be use to help part the cases. The shaft should not be too tight a fit in the bearing and should knock through without too much force. Extreme force should not be required or used.

Mike

Thread: What would you ban and why? (Definitely tearoom!)
22/08/2016 21:07:40

My hearing has survived the best efforts of Motörhead and Ted Nugent and riding a Trident with a 3-1 exhaust that made your ears ring after 100 miles. My last hearing test was within the expected range for my age. Our village hall has a limiter that cuts power to the stage if the limit is exceeded but this is a joke as you could hold a polite conversation while the band played. Strangely a disco can play at a reasonable volume but a live rock band just trips it straight away. F1 came in for a lot of criticism when the current turbo setup emasculated the sound of the cars and speedway lost some of its presence when they silenced it. Drag racing seems untouched at the moment, maybe the sound is intense but it is very brief.

Mike

Edited By Michael Poole on 22/08/2016 21:08:53

21/08/2016 17:18:13

Sunday afternoon used to be a great time to go for a blast on the bike, the few Sunday drivers were nothing compared to the hoards doing their weekly shop.

Mike

Thread: 6mm collet chuck
19/08/2016 12:16:48

Is this too much of a toy for what you are looking for?

Mike

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
18/08/2016 08:19:03

Tesco, Barton upon Humber

Thread: bsf thread
17/08/2016 12:24:43

1/ 4 BSF should have an across flats measurment of 0.445" or 11.303mm. for practical purposes it is probably close enough as most bolt heads measure a shade under size.(assuming you have hex bar)

Mike

Edited By Michael Poole on 17/08/2016 12:26:03

Edited By Michael Poole on 17/08/2016 12:27:12

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest