By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: VFD and screwcutting
15/10/2019 13:23:58

I would have a look at the braking features before making a decision on a VFD. A short ramp may be enough to give you what you need but some drives can use DC injection type braking which can be quite brutal. Some drives will need an external resistor to use the shortest ramps. I think that the ML 10 will probably only need the standard drive to give you the performance you want as it doesn’t have a large inertia to control. If you don’t mind fiddling then you could probably shorten the ramp at low speeds but it may trip with a heavy job or fast speed.

Mike

Thread: An interesting repair to an Hour Wheel
13/10/2019 13:32:19

I love a bit of alternative engineering, I have used it myself on many occasions. It is amazing what you can do with a few bits and pieces that are laying around or can be repurposed..

Mike

Thread: Plinth size?
13/10/2019 11:19:33

I suffer a similar disability with art and proportion but I think we all know when something looks right. I expect someone will have the answer you seek but otherwise I think I would try a few mockups and hope that the when it looks right it is right moment occurs.

Mike

Thread: Inverter reset?
12/10/2019 14:12:37

It’s possible parameter 50 set to 8 may define input X1 as a reset if that inverter is the same as the one I have just read about.

Mike

Thread: What is this called?
12/10/2019 14:07:26

That’s a good spot Bill, looks like Iain is sorted.

Mike

Thread: Inverter reset?
12/10/2019 13:22:17

Removing and restoring power will often reset faults. It’s possible that one of the drive parameters will also clear the fault. Check there is not a reset input that you have not wired.

Mike

Thread: What is this called?
12/10/2019 11:23:28

**LINK**

try here It’s a Fuhr item

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 12/10/2019 11:53:36

12/10/2019 11:11:21

Try searching for window keeps.

Mike

Thread: Cast iron cabinet theft
12/10/2019 11:02:21

Metal thieves are as bold as brass, during the night they pulled a mile of phone cable out of the ducts and cut the whole village off the internet and phone network. It took the best part of 2 weeks to repair the damage to the ducts and replace the cable. They must have had a buyer to go to that much trouble.

Mike

Thread: Changing internet providers
12/10/2019 00:25:49

I think you have to review what your total usage is going to need. When my son and his girlfriend were in residence then we could be supplying him on a game her on social media, my wife streaming a tv catch-up and me on YouTube. There is no point in buying something you don’t need or use. A reasonably fast connection does make surfing the Internet a more satisfying experience but depending on what you are doing the law of diminishing returns does kick in and a 1Gb connection will not greatly improve a solo user experience, of course we don’t want to go back to a 56kb dial up connection as the much more complex sites need more horsepower to provide a satisfactory performance.

Mike

Thread: diameter calculation
11/10/2019 08:08:00

Obviously as a Myford user working to ten decimal places is normal practicewink

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 11/10/2019 08:08:17

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
10/10/2019 23:28:35

I see Chronos list them by the mysterious Dasqua, does anyone have experience of this brand?

Mike

Thread: diameter calculation
10/10/2019 23:15:21

75.0555349947 for rough worksmiley

Mike

Thread: What is the way to put these holes in the right place?
10/10/2019 12:22:01

Gauge.jpeg

A gauge could be made like this, if the round bar is made dia.14.14mm then the face of the bar as indicated will be 10mm from the apex of the mitre, use you favourite edge finder to locate then position to drill and tap.

Mike

Thread: Triangular Screws
07/10/2019 22:45:19

I suspect Neil that you have encountered them without noticing, they are widely used on vehicles.

Mike

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
07/10/2019 14:20:01

The motors often fitted to the Myford lathes are in a rubber resilient mounting which effectively isolates the motor to which the earth is connected from the lathe. Any switchgear mounted on the lathe must be earthed or you risk the lathe becoming live if a suitable fault occurs. It will never do any harm to fit some earths to the lathe and the cabinet and indeed it is almost certain to be a requirement in the regulations. There have been a few references recently to equipment that gives a bit of a tingle and it would do no harm to make sure effective earthing is installed and tested to prove it’s effectiveness. It is worth protecting your workshop with RCD protection although this can bring problems if you run any VFDs that can often cause nuisance trips. Power tools which in themselves are usually double insulated have cables that in a metal working shop can easily be damaged and make things like metal benches and cabinets live, swarf can be embedded in the cable and cut through to the live, don’t walk on trailing cables.

Mike

Thread: Evolution of a 4 Tool Turret
06/10/2019 22:01:08

I must say I am now a fully paid up fan of this use of urge, quality work as usual Gray.

Mike

Thread: DIY glass fibre pulley?
06/10/2019 09:29:34

I made a 3 step flat pulley from some Tufnol that was handy and free, it was not chosen for any reason apart from that. It works fine. As a piece of aluminium, cast iron or steel is going to cost a few quid then any freebie material is worth a try. The H&S concerns during machining are worth it but if it doesn’t wear in use then it won’t be making dust, if wear is severe then it might be best to abandon it but it means starting again. If you are going to the Midland exhibition in a couple of weeks then you will find a few stalls will have short lengths of large diameters often at a reasonable price and no carriage costs,

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 06/10/2019 09:44:01

Thread: Has to be seen to be believed
05/10/2019 11:31:01

He might make the tea.

Mike

04/10/2019 22:55:45

I think I will keep my £190 in my pocket.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest