By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
26/05/2019 20:11:27

It seems Teds puny 167kW system was trumped by Iron Maidens 500kW system at the 1988 Monsters of Rock at Donington, I missed that one.

Mike

26/05/2019 17:49:05

Ted Nugent ( not for nothing known as loud man) made my ears ring for three days and walking away from Birmingham Odeon I felt like I had a pillow over each ear. A gig in America where Ted used a 167kW sound system got complaints from 15 miles away. PA speakers seem to be much more powerful these days and more compact, I suppose the design has become more scientific and they are more efficient. Funny how I have been to more gigs in recent times with poor sound than I used to in the 70s. You would think the Spice Girls could afford a decent sound engineer and PA system but I saw they were slammed for poor sound at their Irish gig a few days ago. Luckily I will not be finding out if their UK gigs improve.

Mike

Thread: Drill bits
26/05/2019 10:31:34

Can you fill a hole with left handed drill? Could be useful for a hole drilled in the wrong place.wink

Mike

Thread: Myford solutions
25/05/2019 23:51:58

Well spotted Michael, I missed that.

Mike

Thread: Fire bricks
23/05/2019 18:23:15

An oxymoron covers a pair of word that don’t fit like military intelligence, apologies to military men.

Mike

Thread: Childhood diseases
23/05/2019 18:13:59
Posted by vintage engineer on 23/05/2019 13:35:03:

When I had mumps, I could put my testicles in a wheel barrow!

eda50f23-abd1-42c4-a6a5-f21868ff079e.jpeg

Sounds like Buster Gonad from Viz comicsmiley

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 23/05/2019 18:18:49

Thread: Beginners question (sorry) - why I am breaking my small centre drills?
23/05/2019 17:58:22

Check the tailstock is accurately aligned, if it is slightly out it will try to bend the centre, large ones will plough their own furrow but small ones snap easily.

Mike

Thread: Fire bricks
23/05/2019 00:10:42

I think the performance of vermiculite blocks is excellent but they are quite fragile, if you are silver soldering all day every day then a more durable solution may be desirable.

Mike

22/05/2019 19:57:51

Vermiculite and Skamolex are a couple of brands that are easy to find from internet sellers.

Mike

Thread: stamford show vandals
21/05/2019 17:27:44

It is rather fortunate that for most people it is not the fear of being caught that stops them committing a crime but the understanding that as civilised social people we do not steal or kill or damage our fellows or their property. Laws are not there to be broken if you can get away with it but to define the rules we wish to live by, correcting people who ruin the harmony of everyone else by whatever means is best should be the aim. Ideally we should put more effort into producing citizens who want to live in harmony with everyone else, we have failed if we need to correct people for exceeding our limits. Unfortunately the one bad Apple effect means good citizens can easily be sucked in to crime because we are ineffective at catching the bad Apple before the barrel is turned. Perhaps we should only be allowed to breed if we have qualified to be parents but I think living in a free society trumps that sort of thinking but we must win the argument for behaving with respect and consideration for one another, having a large number or people in prison is a poor reflection on our society.

Mike

20/05/2019 23:08:40

A similar thought ran through my head, the public generosity looks to have covered the aspect of the losses that money could buy but the club are going to have years of work to rebuild. I suspect a useful sum could be found to fund some sort of youth project that could engage some youngsters in making things rather than breaking things.

Mike

Thread: Larger VFD/Motors
20/05/2019 18:09:29

It would be interesting to see how the charging waveform alters with the output frequency for the load

Mike

20/05/2019 14:14:49

My wife was involved in one of our village playgroups when our boys were young, we still have their creations somewhere, my wife witnessed one of the parents put their child’s work straight in the bin, I don’t know what that behaviour does to a child but I am sure it can’t be positive. I am sure most of us have been involved in youthful pranks that do not involve mindless destruction but are probably irritating to the victim, I am thinking of stunts like taking someone’s gates for a walk down the road and stuff like that where no permanent damage is done but is likely to be very annoying to the victim.

Mike

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
19/05/2019 23:49:25

As this thread is a tea room subject then model engineering may be tenuous if present at all, as I have followed most of this on a daily basis the extreme length is not an issue but if the title grabbed your interest after 16 pages then you will certainly notice the thread drift. I think of the tearoom as also being like the pub where drift is inevitable but everyone can chip in and even pull it back to the original subject. It’s only a bit of fun and can be ignored but sometimes the title seems interesting only to find that drift takes it away from the initial hook.

Mike

19/05/2019 23:31:00

Most of us instinctively would like to see the perpetrators whipped with red hot barbed wire but would it be more constructive to show them the skill, effort and love that went into what they have destroyed? Making them understand what they have done would probably be more useful than a punishment. If the club members could stomach being in the same room as the perpetrators perhaps teaching them the skills to repair or replace the damage they have done would be an appropriate rehabilitation to become decent human beings. I do assume that most people are decent deep down but some need to have normal values shown to them as they may not have experienced them before, of course they may have normal behaviour inhibited by drugs or drink in which case rehabilitation can be more difficult. The back story to this outrage could be more complex than we know, the days when most of us had right and wrong clearly defined by our elders seem sadly to be a thing of the past, some of the young are being failed by not having the values of common decency imparted to them, I could have said watch Jeremy Kyle for examples but thankfully we can’t any more, the few times I saw the show was more in disbelief that such people exist and want to air their troubles on TV but no doubt the desperate are easily persuaded by money.

Mike

19/05/2019 22:03:15

Nice to see that this wanton act has touched people and the crowdfund has now topped £31,000, a significant sum but its difficult to replace the amount of human effort destroyed by the mindless idiots. Hope the club can make something special with the funds.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 19/05/2019 22:03:41

19/05/2019 15:38:57

The responsibility has to be the parents who have utterly failed to raise children with respect for people and property. I doubt they will be keen to make reparations to the people whose work their offspring have destroyed.

Mike

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
18/05/2019 20:05:14

**LINK**

some Hercules Pictures on the Beeb

Mike

Thread: Electronic switch forward/reverse/stop help
17/05/2019 13:42:51

Some specific details on the item you have purchased would be helpful. A picture or details of the actual device, the info plate or data sheet would be useful. If it just a switch then it is likely it could be used on single phase but if it has a contactor it will need to be 240V.

Mike

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
15/05/2019 18:43:38

Not sure I would feel comfortable with my legs splayed round a drag bike engine that could eject bits at any time. Is there a protective shield for important gentleman’s equipment?

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest