By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Record 25 vice handle
13/11/2019 19:24:33
Posted by Brian Oldford on 13/11/2019 19:14:49:
Posted by Mike Poole on 13/11/2019 19:10:28:

If the handle of a vice is bent then it must have been abused, a mild steel replacement should not bend if it is just tightened by hand, using a tube should be just to make life easier not to give extra purchase beyond what a man can apply without an aid. Vices can be broken with extreme over tightening.

Mike

Words of experience? laugh

I have seen a broken vice but it wasn’t my handiwork. My vice is a 5” jaw Record and the tommy bar is still straight, I occasionally use an old fork leg as assistance but only because I find that it’s easy to bruise my office worker hands a bit to easily these days.smiley

Mike

13/11/2019 19:10:28

If the handle of a vice is bent then it must have been abused, a mild steel replacement should not bend if it is just tightened by hand, using a tube should be just to make life easier not to give extra purchase beyond what a man can apply without an aid. Vices can be broken with extreme over tightening.

Mike

Thread: Rod Stewart's Model Railway
13/11/2019 19:01:32

That’s a pretty impressive build.

Mike

Thread: Chuck backplate mistake
11/11/2019 09:24:01

+1 for sleeve and rebore, I have always understood that the backplate should be a close fit on the nose register. The thread should be slightly loose to let the register faces do their work. I always bore and face the register surfaces at same setup and cut the thread to ensure they are true to each other, then mount on the nose and machine the chuck register. This seems to work for me. If the register is too tight on the nose then it will wear the nose.

Mike

Thread: Warco VMC Z Axis spacer
10/11/2019 21:47:39

You will find it on eBay but you will have to pay for it.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 10/11/2019 21:48:23

Thread: Yahoo Groups: Heads up for members of e-mail groups
10/11/2019 21:41:07

The Myford group has transitioned to groups.io relatively smoothly. Hopefully a revenue stream exists to keep these groups alive. Remember that nothing is free, your data has a value and will be exploited.

Mike

Thread: Soldering BZP.
09/11/2019 10:35:50

Should be straightforward, might be worth giving the nuts a clean first.

Mike

Thread: Inverters and stop switches
08/11/2019 22:42:31

Around the year 2000 dual safety contactors were fitted between the inverter and motor, these were monitored and controlled by a Pilz safety PLC, the next standard positioned the dual contactors before the drive, the third generation has gone to safe off controlled by Siemens S7 with safety program. All the inverters were SEW Eurodrive which are definately at the high end of inverter technology so unlikely to be in most peoples home workshop.

Mike

Thread: new computer
07/11/2019 00:18:23

I have a cheap cloning tool that you just pop the drive to be cloned and the new drive in then press the button, 2 hours later job done, worked a treat to replace my old drive with a SSD hybrid drive.

Mike

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
07/11/2019 00:05:48

Is a chuck guard a solution to a problem most people don’t have?

Mike

Thread: Inverters and stop switches
06/11/2019 20:04:26

An emergency stop will generally need to cut the power to the machine, inverters are not too happy about having their power cut but as it is an emergency stop it should only be used in an emergency. The debate has long raged that a controlled stop can be faster than the coast down you will get from killing the power but if the drive has failed in some outrageous way then cutting the power to it may be the only effective solution. More and more drives are getting a safe stop function built in which can guarantee to remove any drive signals to the output stage and I doubt that a failure of the output stage exists that could keep the motor turning. Industrial drives are featuring safe stop but they have control systems that integrate with these features.

Mike

Thread: Source of Stainless Strip
06/11/2019 16:24:40

Have PM,d you Neil.

Mike

Thread: Installation of a Myford (or any machine tool)
06/11/2019 08:58:51

I think I would just use a couple of lengths of heavy box tubing, one at each end. If the floor is reasonably level then the lathe can be levelled with the raising blocks if you have them. If you wish to level the cabinet then use a suitable arrangement of bolts and nuts to fix the stand to the box tube. I would drill holes in the box so you can use a socket to tighten the bolts if you want to bolt it all down to the floor.

Mike

Thread: Changing a Motor from Star to Delta
05/11/2019 13:41:51

Motor.jpeg

A picture can be worth a thousand words.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 05/11/2019 13:42:06

Thread: building a myford super 7 from bits ?
05/11/2019 13:13:10

I suppose the unknown is how much fitting is done when the lathe is built in the factory, hopefully Myford would have chosen accurate manufacture rather than expensive hand fitting. As the donor lathes will need dismantling and you will have all the major parts for the long bed build then I would put it together and see what you have got. Many lathes seem to get broken for parts and nobody has complained on here of parts not being interchangeable. It’s got to be worth a go.

Mike

04/11/2019 09:18:21

Good practice has to be never leave a chuck key in the chuck, there is no good reason to do so. Our eagle eyed instructor had a spring loaded key for anyone caught transgressing. If anyone fears that they may be unable to stick to the rule then a nest for the key with a sensor interlocked in the start circuit could give peace of mind rather than an interlocked chuck guard which is often useless for any practical purpose and can be a hindrance, the nest is useful for finding the chuck key which is remarkably good at hiding if just put in the tray. Just because we are out of the influence of the H&S in our own workshop it does not excuse us from doing a risk assessment and taking steps to work safely. Some posters have mentioned personal issues that need to be taken into account to keep themselves safe and as none of us is immune from getting older which often comes with things that didn’t trouble us when younger then a revue of how steady we are and alert may mean we need to adjust our safe working strategy.

Mike

Thread: The Great Escape
03/11/2019 07:20:54

I suppose using sugar to case harden steel you will go through the caramelisation stagesmiley.

Mike

Thread: When does Silver steel not need hardening and Tempering
02/11/2019 21:21:33

The problem of producing a flat square anvil has crossed my mind before, the situation that got me thinking was producing additional rods for a depth mic. I didn’t come up with a solution but Clicksprings method of making polished screw head faces seemed to have possibilities. If anyone knows how the faces of the anvils of a micrometer are mirror finished and square are produced then it would be interesting to know.

Mike

Thread: sievert cyclone burner
02/11/2019 21:04:19

I think the important thing about using a torch in a confined space is where the burner draws its air from, burners need to draw air from an area not in the confined space. Sievert make some burners that draw air from the base of a long tube and the gas air mixture burns at the end so it is not trying to burn the exhaust gases in the firebox.

Mike

31/10/2019 10:36:27
Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 31/10/2019 10:01:57:

. The silliest device I came across was on a drilling machine,there was a long adjustable rod like an old car ariel verticaly mounted ,and secured to motor switch at top of the drill so was very close to the drill bit,knock the rod and the drill stopped,ok if the work jumped up the drill the spindle stopped instantly as there was a spindle brake,but it had a major snag,a bit of swarf a couple of inches long would hit the rod and stop the drill,absolutely useless,if you wanted to get on with a job,

One of these was fitted to the 8ft radial drilling machine in the tool room, it operated a DC injection brake which was near instant in operation. It was a nuisance drilling steel but cast iron was ok. It was mandatory to have the antenna in position and very obvious if you didn’t. A tangle with that machine would not be pretty and death a definite option.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest