By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which suppliers are open for business?
07/04/2020 22:19:55

I am sure Myford were closed but they now appear to be trading.

Mike

Thread: Myford Super 7 with 'Big Bore Conversion'
07/04/2020 18:53:25

I have seen some pics of Roy’s conversion, a talented engineer no doubt. I think the smallest sheave of the cone pulley is lost so I would think the back gear would need a couple of new gears and the gear that drives the screw cutting train would need to be larger, the chuck backplates will need remachining or replacing, the tumbler reverse for the leadscrew will need work also. It’s not a trivial task to undertake if you wish to copy Roy’s solution. Nearly every part of the Myford big bore headstock is different from the standard bore machine.

Mike

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
07/04/2020 18:19:19

Online banking makes it very simple to transfer money to anyone with a bank account, my mother is not online but if I purchase something on her behalf then she writes a cheque and a quick photo from my phone banking app and its on its way to my bank. Our regular pub quiz has moved online with google meet and our team communicate with each other over a zoom meeting. The quiz master collects subs using the Ko-fi facility on the internet. Imagine this lockdown with no internet.

Mike

07/04/2020 17:59:31

The money laundering regulations are pretty invasive into normal citizens business, most major transactions seem subject to scrutiny. Talking to my local publican I was surprised to learn that banks charge for the bags of change that a pub needs. A visit to the pub usually converts my paper money into a pocket full of change, makes me talk rubbish etc. I think the German system of running a tab on your beermat has a lot going for it. My sons rarely use cash but what do you do when the system goes down? I was in a restaurant in France and was informed at bill paying time the card system was down and they could only take cash, we were on our last overnight stop so cash was in short supply, we just about scraped the bill and tip together. I suppose a drive to the nearest cash point would have been the other option.

Mike

07/04/2020 17:33:27

The weir for Sandford Lock near Oxford is now converted to a screw powered generator, with the rain we have experienced since November it must have had very good output for a few months. The fall across Sandford is about 7ft which I think is the most on the Thames. The weir was infamous for drowning students prior to the installation of the generator.

Mike

07/04/2020 09:00:04

To avoid a visit to the post office you can pay for and print a post label online, it made my wife happy and no cash involved.

Mike

Thread: What is it with the fit of old slotted screws?!
07/04/2020 08:53:19

A properly tempered screwdriver should be possible to file with a decent file but the tip will always be slightly tapered, I always make sure that the taper is nice and slow so the end is close to parallel. Grinding freehand is very easy to overheat the tip and keeping the end parallel takes some care. Although I don’t find the various flavours of cross shaped sockets very attractive they are very practical for power driving, a plain slot will very soon have a hole drilled in the job if power driving is used. Screwdrivers are not overly expensive and customising for a perfect fit is a must for screws that will be on show, clickspring made a fitted screwdriver for the highly visible screws on his clock. Most of the time a best fit screwdriver will be adequate and not do any significant damage to the screw head. Slot standards may exist but they are either not adhered to or they are very wide ranging. Some wood screws seemed to have very narrow slots that were thinner than a normal screwdriver tip. Myford Super Seven ball handles are fixed with a chrome plated large screw, worth making a well fitting tip for this or you will see the chewed screw every time you use the lathe.

Mike

Thread: Myford Super 7 with 'Big Bore Conversion'
06/04/2020 23:03:41

I doubt it would be practical to build a big bore headstock from parts, it would be a long and expensive shopping list. It would make more sense to part exchange your current machine for a big bore I would think.

Mike

Thread: I once built a go cart
06/04/2020 19:13:47

R1 kart

Maybe an R1 engine is a bit too much engine for a go Kartlaugh

Mike

Thread: clarkson autolock 3mt
05/04/2020 16:32:17

It may be that the large Clarkson chuck which will take 1 1/4” or 32mm collets is not made with a 3MT shank. ER40 will take a shank up to 26mm and is available with 3MT. If you don’t mind changing chucks then you could just buy the collets for the cutters you wish to use, if you wish you could get the full range of collets from 3mm and retire the Clarkson, with care the screwed shank cutters can be used in an ER collet. You will need to change chucks even if you track down a large Clarkson as the large chuck won’t take the small cutters.

Mike

Thread: 2TB USB drives.
04/04/2020 10:59:09

A USB stick is one thing I would avoid totally on eBay and tread carefully on Amazon.

Mike

Thread: Small drill bit in large drill press?
02/04/2020 23:15:27

A large pillar drill with a small bit will have problems with speed and feel, speed is not too much of a problem but feeling the bit is, a useful accessory is one like this from Arceurotrade **LINK** this will give you the feel that will help avoid breaking the drill bit.

Mike

Thread: Academia.edu
02/04/2020 13:28:00

How about generating a gmail address as a one time throwaway for this sort of request?

I have long thought that if emails were charged at 1p the cost for a normal user would be minimal but the use for indiscriminate spam shots would be crippling.

It’s worth having an email for shops and sites that demand one to enter and a private one for serious use that should stay spam free ish

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 02/04/2020 13:37:45

Thread: How can I remove this mould from painted surface?
02/04/2020 08:56:10

HG mould spray is very effective but vile if you breath it in, probably just a bleach though.

Mike

Thread: Agent million considered essantial travel by N S & I.
01/04/2020 16:25:31
Posted by Ady1 on 01/04/2020 15:29:02:

Got SERIOUS doubts about these things

I've not won a bean in 50 years from the premium bond "random government computer"

But I can win a jury duty spot every 12 months from the "random government computer"

I was called for jury service when I was about 21 and never since, I was working permanent nights so had already had the full shift off when they decided I was not required, come back tomorrow so another shift off, still not required and so on, the expenses fell far short of working night shift in a car factory in those days. I have no objection to the duty of jury service but costing me money for the privilege is annoying especially as I never got to actually serve.

Mike

Thread: New design of mains plug?
01/04/2020 13:48:22

Made a start, so far  1 13A fuse in a standard lamp and loose earth screw, loose earth and neutral in cassette type extension cable, oddly all AV devices seem to have 5A fuses in OEM cables, worrying just how many devices are powered by wall warts with no replaceable fuse, let’s hope that they are properly protected, can I be a cynical optimist? 13A fuse still in lamp as can’t find fusessad. Will crack on and confess any more horrors.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 01/04/2020 13:52:14

Thread: DTI base
01/04/2020 12:52:43

I bit the bullet and bought a Noga, I think it was Stefan Gotteswinter who demonstrated how much an arm moves by mounting a base and indicator on a plate taking a reading and then inverting the whole thing and noting the change in reading. The Noga is quite good at being completely floppy so you can position the indicator and then tighten using one knob, not cheap but the imitation ones don’t seem to get it quite right, a bit of work can improve them though. Also consider some other fixtures for an indicator, toolpost mounts on the lathe can be useful and other fixing points on the mill can be made. A regular task is probably checking the vice so a fixing to hold the indicator in the ideal position could be very convenient. A mag base is very versatile but it does rely on a flat surface to be available in a useful place. I would have reservations about the rigidity of the snake arm type for an indicator.

Mike

Thread: New design of mains plug?
01/04/2020 11:52:27

While we are locked down let’s check our houses and own up on here how many errors we findsmiley

Mike

01/04/2020 11:41:30

Although plugtops are available with 3A or13A fuses ready fitted it always seems to be 13A in the shop, if they only sold 3A then you would have to uprate for high load appliances as obviously the fuse would blow, maybe no fuse or both fuses should be supplied. Although a variety of fuses are available for plugtops 3A and 13A should be ok for most purposes. I think the table lamp 13A fuse situation arises because tungsten filament lamps often took the fuse out when the lamp failed so a new lamp and fuse would be required, the fuse tin invariably has 13A fuses because all the ones you take out of the plugtops when you put the 3A in go in the tin and you have used all the 3A before. So do you sit in the dark or pop the 13A in the plug until tomorrow when you will get some fuses and swap it over except you forget. In a perfect world you will always have the right fuse and never forget but in real life it doesn’t happen so have an annual maintenance session and prepare to be surprised, I know better but am still guilty of fitting the wrong fuse on occasion and forgetting to revisit it.

Mike

01/04/2020 10:39:22

The Lucy Switchgear company had an ASTA test facility in Oxford, although when we visited no testing was scheduled the test chamber was interesting. It was lined with sleeper sized wood which bore the marks of some dramatic tests, the viewing window had some extremely thick glass and was very small, power was supplied from a very large generator. Lucy used to generate their own electricity and had a variety of diesel generators around the site, they had a one megawatt holdIng furnace for their casting shop.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest