By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric motor and control
25/09/2021 19:38:27

Have a look at Newton Tesla, the packages have everything done. You will need to fit the motor and pulley for your lathe.

Mike

Thread: Back to Imperial
21/09/2021 18:44:37

Ale hand pumps are not measured delivery and most or the lager trees deliver as long as the tap is open. A hand pump might deliver half a pint per stroke on a good day but they are rare, if the bar staff are a bit green then a top up is often required. Electric pumps are rare in this part of the world.

Mike

Thread: What to drive a J & S with ?
20/09/2021 14:41:48

I distinctly remember being told to start the wheel before turning on the coolant and turn the coolant off before stopping the wheel. The reason was that if the coolant was left running on a stationary wheel is could load the wheel with coolant and create an imbalance that could burst the stone or damage the spindle. If the pump is just for the hydraulics then that will not be an issue.

Mike

18/09/2021 18:04:13

I always feel a bit shortchanged with 500ml instead of a full pint, mind you they really are taking the mick with the so called schooner 379ml, even the continentals realise an Englishman wants a pint and I have been in many bars where they automatically serve me a 500ml which is the next best thing. All credit to the Germans with the 1l stein but unless you have a fierce thirst it’s getting a bit warm by the end and not being a big fan of lager anyway it is truly disgusting when it’s warm.

Mike

18/09/2021 11:05:17
Posted by mechman48 on 17/09/2021 17:32:34:

..I am sure that for foodstuffs it makes little difference as long as you aren’t supplied with 453.6g and charged for 500g'

Are you sure your not; & by the way I've not seen anything on sale with a weight of 453.6g it's always 100g, 450g, 500g, 1kg increments.

George.

A jar of Robertson’s Golden shred Marmalade is labelled as 454g, pretty close to 1lb in my book.

Mike

Thread: Clive Sinclar
17/09/2021 23:54:48

Triumph of the nerds was interesting but I haven’t seen it for years, must track it down and have another look.

Mike

Thread: Yet another scam
17/09/2021 17:30:04

30mins is a good run, I start out to string them along as much as possible but then get bored and lose interest. There are some smart guys on YouTube who turn the tables on them and take control of their machines.

Mike

17/09/2021 17:20:15
Posted by Martin Connelly on 17/09/2021 16:03:29:

Fiddling while Rome burns comes to mind. Are they going to redefine the pound as a fraction of a kilogram the same way the USA defines their inch as 25.4mm?

Martin C

Edited By Martin Connelly on 17/09/2021 16:05:38

500g is widely called a pound across Europe, of course it’s a pfund in Germany and many countries have a word for it. I am sure that for foodstuffs it makes little difference as long as you aren’t supplied with 453.6g and charged for 500g.

Mike

17/09/2021 15:46:20

Tracking down Mallory AAA batteries was a bit of a mission as they were still a bit of a specialty for the camera market at the time, with the rapid adoption of calculators the batteries soon became widely available.

Mike

17/09/2021 15:20:45

The building industry is still a mess after all these years, a six foot fence panel is now 1800mm. Installing my new fence the concrete gravel boards were actually 6’ so the slotted concrete posts were too loose to contain an 1800mm panel, a couple of packing strips added to the panels made them fit.

Mike

Thread: Post Office Deliveries
17/09/2021 10:37:19

You were lucky to get it delivered, I have seen the card come through the letterbox saying I wasn’t in and to collect from the post office.

Mike

17/09/2021 08:34:01

I built my scientific calculator from a kit then had to adjust to RPN (reverse Polish notation) for entering the calculation. The trig functions left a bit to be desired. I was one of the first to adopt a calculator in my tech group and the slide rule soon got abandoned. I am sure Thandar were started by Sinclair to produce affordable test instruments. Sir Clive was fortunate that his successes allowed him to indulge in his pet projects that the public didn’t get into at the time. His innovation was outstanding but sometimes let down by the execution and even by the available technology. RIP Sir Clive.

Mike

Thread: Extension to Digital Version
16/09/2021 18:44:48

Mine has arrived in South Oxfordshire.

Mike

Thread: Myford ML7 accuracy
14/09/2021 08:36:57

The electronic drive is the component of an imported lathe that is likely to have a limited life, some electronic components do not have an unlimited life, capacitors in particular degrade especially some of the ones fitted to electronic drives which have a tough life and are not the most stable type of capacitor. At some point the electronics will fail and need replacement or upgrading. A good few years of service should have passed before any trouble could be encountered so it is not an immediate worry but one day it will happen. It is near certain that a modern lathe will have had a few replacement drives in 50 years time but a solution will always be available.

Mike

13/09/2021 10:46:40

The newest ML7 is going to be 40 years old as is was superseded by the ML7R which is a non power crossfeed Super 7 with no clutch and the ML7 crosslide, a few other details were deleted to make the ML7R slightly more budget friendly. All the parts for the Super 7 can be retrofitted to make a 7R into a non power crossfeed Super 7. When buying a Myford condition is everything so view the machine preferably with someone who is very familiar with the machine, a bit like buying a secondhand car really. There is no real reason why a ML7 will not be as accurate as a Super 7. The Super 7 had a lot of refinements and a high speed headstock and better tailstock. The top speed of the Super 7 and ML7R is about 2400rpm whereas the ML7 is not recommended to exceed 1000rpm. There will be people who have pushed their ML7 much higher and report no harm. If you damage the white metal bearings then as they are obsolete you are faced with an expensive upgrade to bronze bearings and a new spindle or trying to make new white metal bearings. The supply of the spindle upgrade seems a bit erratic and may not be currently available. I would not dismiss imported machines as they have improved greatly since the days when they often did fall short of a well built machine. Japan had a shakey start with quality but they bought into how to improve and then became the leaders. It’s a fact of life that quality will cost money but the Chinese will build you whatever you are willing to pay for so a truly bargain price will almost certainly not be the best made machine, however a bit more money seems to get better built and better specified equipment. If you buy a new machine the check what is included in the price, you may have to pay extra for steadies chucks and tool post etc. which may be included in some deals.

Mike

Thread: I dont think its 3phase but what is it ?!
11/09/2021 11:02:19

Your meter box is a standard single phase incoming cable and meter box. The supply is the PME (protective multiple earth) configuration. The adaptable box horror show does really need sorting out and determining if it is in current use. You may find one end of the cables at your consumer unit and the other in your outbuilding. If the twisted pair cables are part of a telephone or network system then they really should be separated from the mains cables if that is what they are. Try to resist the temptation to replace the lid and forget about it.

Mike

Thread: Hole in tool post
10/09/2021 17:38:31

The hole in question has often had a pin with a knurled end on some of the lathes I have encountered. If using it as a setting aid then the fit of the tool post to the fixing bolt will need to be checked.

Mike

Thread: What to drive a J & S with ?
10/09/2021 08:44:46

The advantage of the rotary converter is that you should be able the plug the machine in and go. The inverters will require some rewiring of the machine to try and retain the existing controls. Some people find the rotary solution to be noisy but two people on this thread have gone that way. If you go for individual VFDs then I would strongly recommend installing them in a dust and splash proof cabinet as a grinder produces plenty of electronics killing dust. VFDs are made to fit in a cabinet and have minimal protection from dust and fluids. The often seen VFD screwed to a wall and plugged straight into a 13A socket is a perfect example of how not to do it so the attractive headline price of a naked VFD will probably double or triple if you make a proper job of the installation.

Mike

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
08/09/2021 14:41:15

I was on a breakdown with an old school electrician, the only test gear we had was a test lamp and a tobacco tin continuity tester. I had to smile when he estimated we had about 50V from the dimly glowing lamp, it was a useful test as we would have been looking for 110V or 230V which it obviously was not. My trusty AVO would only have been taken out if I was expecting to need it and although the maintenance workshop would have an AVO it would mean a trek back to the workshop to fetch it. The pocket multimeter changed my world, our company workwear had voluminous poacher pockets so taking my Fluke everywhere was automatic.

Mike

07/09/2021 20:18:32

Everything I have used by Fluke has been well designed and robust. My multimeter is still in good working order although a calibration may reveal it to be not as accurate as specified. Test gear with rechargeable batteries that is not in regular use can be a nuisance as the batteries tend to fail. I prefer replaceable batteries as long as you remember to remove them before returning to the test gear cupboard.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
cowells
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest