By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Walton broken tap extractor
29/09/2020 21:32:35

How the tap was broken can make a difference to how easily it comes out, if it has bottomed out hard it can be difficult to shift, if it has snapped due to a bending force applied to the tap then it can come out more easily if it’s your lucky day.

Mike

Thread: ER 32 Collet Tightening Torque.
29/09/2020 21:24:01

I use long extensions to make life as easy as possible, having acquired mechanical sympathy I don’t use long extensions to over torque things just to make life easy. The tightest nut I have encountered was the front wheel bearing on a Maxi, even when I was strong as an Ox it took a four foot long extension to undo it. So far I have not had a problem with ER25 nuts and I doubt that I have reached the recommended torque but I do give them a good grunt tighten. A good strong spindle lock is helpful as is not so easy to use two spanner’s at the limit of your strength. It is easier to tighten off the machine but if you need to change the cutter often this can be tiresome.

Mike

Thread: Ideal Rotary Table size
29/09/2020 11:16:14

The two factors to play off against each other are the size of job you may work on and whether the RT will be awkward to use on the machine, any loss of axis travel or daylight may be annoying but can often be worked around. Mounting a large job on a small table might be even more difficult, of course the job will always come along that is too big no matter what size RT you have. I would go for the 5 inch as overall I think it would make life a bit easier, remember you need to hold the job on the table somehow and the larger table leaves more room for clamping.

Mike

Thread: Cheap Milling Vice Question
29/09/2020 10:36:18

As Michael explained it is the code of conduct infringement that got the link removed, the condition that people are mostly falling foul of at the moment is linking to unregulated sellers. While this is in part to protect the advertisers who largely fund this site it also protects the users who may take an endorsement of a seller from a post on this forum as a reassurance that it is safe. I know we are all grown up but for many the Internet can be a risky place so it is best to stick to vendors covered by protection enforceable in the UK. Many have been delighted with a direct import bargain but there are many who can only put a disappointment down to experience.

Mike

Thread: Horizontal hit and miss engine
27/09/2020 22:19:16

A very attractive engine, not everything needs to look as though it was built by the Victorians. I like it.

Mike

Thread: Bent woodworking lathe spindle
25/09/2020 22:46:12

If you have a 12 ton press then I would have a go at straightening the spindle, of course it may not be practical to bring it back to a working condition but nothing to be lost by trying.

Mike

Thread: What *should* a Warco Super Major Milling Machine be able to accomplish?
25/09/2020 22:32:56

Would the improvement gained by changing direction seem to indicate a problem with the tram of your mill? Assuming that the tram is adjustable.

Mike

Thread: Climb Milling any implications
25/09/2020 12:03:10

The sketch showing cutting a slot in a block is a situation where a slot drill cutter is best employed, it is difficult to cut an accurate slot width with a normal end mill in one pass but a slot drill can do this quite well, a slot drill can also plunge as they are ground so they have a centre cutting edge, it used to be that simple but some cutters also have a centre cutting edge with three or more flutes. However more than two flutes will tend to cut oversize. If a very accurate slot width is required it is best to take a finishing cut to open out a smaller slot.

Mike

Thread: 5BA Threads
24/09/2020 21:27:00

5BA is handy for threading 1/8” rod.

Mike

Thread: Quality Control ?
24/09/2020 16:59:29

It always seems to be touch and go whether the ring pull opens the can or my finger nail lifts from my finger, we have a gadget for ring pulls but I never remember to use it.sad

Mike

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
24/09/2020 15:17:52

I spent my working life in a car factory, most of it as a Control Engineer. The production workers did not need any academic qualifications but have to be able to work hard and reliably and be able to tolerate the relentless repetition of a production line. Curiously you could find very highly qualified people and people with all sorts of skills and talents working there. Some had opted out of life in the fast lane and just wanted a simple job, an alchoholic was always on time and did his job as required, a good worker. Sadly two highly talented lads in our department committed suicide unrelated incidents many years apart but both over relationship problems. The first was a real shock and nobody suspected he was having problems, the second was still a surprise but drugs and poor attendance were signs all was not well.

Mike

23/09/2020 17:04:29

In the 1930s work was available at the car factory in Oxford, many people walked from South Wales to Oxford to get work, enough made the trip for a new housing estate in Cowley to become known as Cowley Welsh. I am sure desperation was a factor in making the journey rather than a desire to move to Oxford.

Mike

Thread: Climb Milling any implications
23/09/2020 15:10:30

A conventional feedscrew will almost certainly have some backlash and acquire more with wear, attempts to control backlash can be mechanical or hydraulic, a recirculating ball feedscrew and nut is a successful way to minimise backlash. Because the finish when climb milling is usually better than conventional I will risk a very light final cut with the axis locks used to add some extra drag, this is a risk and getting it wrong can trash the job and break the cutter. Developing some feel for the machine will give a better chance of success but as this will be a finishing cut you could spoil some hours of work in a moment. I have seen a powerful mill haul the job out of an 8” vice and put gashes all along the job, not with me driving though.smiley

Mike

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
23/09/2020 10:02:02

Lapping in the home workshop is a practice we don’t hear mentioned very much but should be able to produce work to the limits of most home shop measuring equipment. Temperature will start to become a factor if superfine tolerance is required. Making one part fit another is another matter but not a problem for a one off build.

Mike

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
22/09/2020 19:26:40

It’s probably not just having your freedom curtailed that can be a problem for some people but many people are in financial difficulties with the threat of eviction hanging over them. My son was scheduled to be married in the spring and had spent many thousands of pounds which for a while was close to being lost. The fear factor has set in hard with some people and they really fear the risks of returning to work. I am thankful that I am not a worrier so although this has been an unexciting year with a bit of a Groundhog Day feel to it.

Mike

Thread: Cheap Oil for hardening
22/09/2020 15:17:20

The oil quench at tech held a few gallons of oil, a friend discovered that a 20mm red hot bar could be plunged in to vaporise the oil and the quickly pulled out while still hot enough to ignite the vapour cloud, this was highly entertaining until the instructor appeared round the cornersad

Mike

Thread: Reminiscences
21/09/2020 11:57:24
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 21/09/2020 10:30:14:

My dad came from a large family partly fed from grandad's allotment. Luxury outside flush toilet available, with cut-up newspaper, but the boys peed into a large bucket. When full, this was carried on a wheelbarrow to the allotment and poured into an oil-drum where it was left to mature like fine wine. Later it was used as a fertiliser.

Funny thing is girls were strictly forbidden to tinkle in the bucket. Possibly it was considered unladylike, but grandad claimed lady-wee killed his plants. As the older generation have always enjoyed pulling young legs, dad suspected this was humour.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 21/09/2020 10:32:09

A friend of my fathers had magnificent fuschias, he claimed the direct application method rather than the bucket but this was only done after dark.

Mike

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
20/09/2020 22:09:44

I would seriously consider moving on from floppy discs, I know it is frustrating having to retire a working system but it becomes more and more difficult to keep old systems running. Industry has spent millions moving to the next generation equipment because of manufacturers not supporting old equipment. Floppy discs are well past their sell by date now.

Mike

Thread: HSS/Tungsten Tool Honing Machine
20/09/2020 13:14:09

Aluminium extrusions have replaced steel and cast iron for most of the jigs in the motor car industry. Some ingenious contraptions are constructed to deliver parts for robots to pick from, lots of gravity roller conveyors are used. 17km of aluminium monorail track was installed in the body shop for interprocess conveyor. This stuff gets a very hard life making a thousand cars a day.

Mike

Thread: What's a Tubular T-Nut
19/09/2020 13:18:12

20fd587b-25c4-49b5-bb08-b2d5ef4135e0.jpeg

I think these are what was being referred to.

from GHT Model engineers workshop manual.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 19/09/2020 13:20:05

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest