By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Socket/thread sizes
18/01/2021 13:57:01

Decent spanner’s and sockets are usually a bit on the hard side for number and letter punches, and Gedore will be decent, I have seen spanner’s that have had letter punches used on them and they do not make much of an impression, I have also seen the havoc caused to punches by this abuse. A spark etcher is the best tool to mark hard materials but using one on soft tool steel will cause local hard spots.

Mike

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
18/01/2021 10:19:32

BMW have a history of innovative front ends but what did the put on the hyper sports RR1000? Good old telescopics, upside downies with some trick electronics. Seems to be successful on the racetrack although the various lever systems give a very good touring ride.

Mike

18/01/2021 09:07:12
Posted by colin wilkinson on 18/01/2021 05:57:54:

Mike, I agree most models have settled on telescopic forks but must take issue about the niche models bit. The most manufactured bike in the world, over 100 million, the humble Honda C90 and its derivatives had leading link forks.🙂 . My three Greeves race bikes, like most Greeves have leading link forks. Surprising how many have survived considering they closed in the early70s, although road bike production ceased earlier.

It’s funny the thought went through my mind about the Honda as I wrote and nearly mentioned it. On its own it probably proves leading link is the most popular system in the world.

Mike

17/01/2021 21:08:26

The telescopic fork is still the fork of choice on most bikes including the upside down version. None of the alternatives have successfully displaced it other than on a few niche models. Much work has been done to help minimise the shortcomings of the telescopic fork like anti dive and complex spring rates and damping. Hub centre steering and the various link systems all suffer weight and wear problems so the humble tele has more or less prevailed. Twin discs must help to balance out the twist effect of a single sided setup. If you can brake hard enough to get the back wheel in the air without falling off then it’s probably working quite well.

Mike

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
17/01/2021 07:23:44

I think the astonishing speed with which the vaccine has been produced is a demonstration of how quickly things can be done when money is no object and the will exists to cut through all the normal obstacles. I don’t believe corners have been cut just the process streamlined as much as possible. I wonder if the vaccine doubters will be willing to join the back of the queue for a hospital ICU bed if they get the virus?

Mike

Thread: Digital Height Gauge Recommendations?
16/01/2021 12:15:40

The nice thing about digital measuring is the datum can be wherever you want it to be, a mechanical height gauge is stuck with the surface plate as the obvious zero. Of course the zero can be offset with parallels or 123 blocks or just careful setting up but you will need to think about every dimension. My vernier height gauge is mechanical and I am quite happy with it, a digital could still find a home but I am not looking out for one.

Mike

Thread: Socket/thread sizes
15/01/2021 09:42:00

Gedore and Elora were brands that turned up in the Green Shield catalogue and Argos 50 odd year’s ago. Gedore now seem to have taken on being a quality brand and many German companies use their tools. I own some of their sockets and I would say they are very well made. I don’t do enough spannering these days to give stuff a good workout but from what I see it’s good equipment.

Mike

Thread: Standards of Electrical Wiring
14/01/2021 19:45:54

I expect they just get the circuit drawing out when there is a faultwink

Mike

Thread: Key Cutting
10/01/2021 21:58:23

How about building up the worn key with soft solder until it works reliably and then measuring or getting a key cut from it?

Mike

Thread: DTI Stand - Single Lock Type?
09/01/2021 19:09:01

I treated myself to a Noga and it is a nice tool. Stefan Gotteswinter did an interesting item on rigidity and produced a very solid stand.

https://youtu.be/37TLOf3GWwM

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 09/01/2021 19:24:58

Thread: Heat Resistant Clear Material Needed...
07/01/2021 08:42:46

I notice that 60mm diameter Petri dish’s are available on eBay, they are 12mm deep so the edge would need removing. They are Borosilicate glass so would be heat resistant. Removing the edge might not be too easy though.

Mike

Thread: The Pitch Drop Experiment
06/01/2021 21:37:49

Well I don’t know how I am going to get over this, I have believed glass flowed for over 50 years and now my world is in tatters. sad

Mike

Thread: straight shank adapter for MT2/MT3 drill bits
06/01/2021 09:32:19

I think your mag drill idea would be the best way to go with some Rotabroach cutters if you are drilling steel. I don’t like using decent drills in handheld equipment as the lands of the drill will almost certainly get worn. You haven’t said what you will be drilling but I am assuming steel. If the taper shank drills are expendable then the shanks can be turned down quite easily.

Mike

Thread: Gloves and machine tools - my stupidity.
02/01/2021 09:33:59

Our induction horror gallery also included the scrotum afflicted with dermatitis accompanying the warning not to keep oily wipers in your pocket. The apprentice induction program was run over three days and apart from the workshop safety presentation we had a lecture on company history presented by Ken Revis who was blinded defusing a mine on Brighton Pier. He drove an MG at 100mph while blind, that must be a special relationship with the co-driver. A bit of shock and horror certainly help to carry a message.

Mike

01/01/2021 20:53:45

I have mentioned on here before that we were warned during my apprenticeship induction about wearing gloves on rotating machines, to reinforce the message a picture was shown to us of a finger with the tendons pulled out of the forearm laying on a machine table. The image has stuck with me for over 48 years and I have never worn gloves on a machine. I would imagine that the thin latex or vinyl gloves for skin protection would shred before any harm to ones hand occurs but I will let someone else try it. Most of us have given up on long hair but as an apprentice in the early 70s most of us had long hair and a snood was mandatory in the training machine shops for long haired apprentices. Gloves certainly have their place for hand protection but made from a strong material and rotating machines are a bad mix. If you like a nice gory picture search for degloved fingers, it may put you off rings and gloves.

Mike

Thread: flexispeed lathe/chuck problem
29/12/2020 16:14:01

I would be careful if you are trying your die on the spindle nose, it can easily take a cut which would not be a good idea. Are you making a seperate dummy spindle to mount one of your lathe chucks? If it is a solid die then you are stuck with the thread it cuts but if it is split then be sure to open it fully for the first cut, then try the chuck if necessary close the die a tiny bit and make another cut. You should arrive at a size where the chuck screws on sweetly. The die stock should be a slightly loose fit on the die. We now have die stocks in metric and imperial sizes which can be confusing, a 25mm die in a 1” stock is a bit loose and a 1” die may well not go in a 25mm stock or be a bit too tight to be fully expanded.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 29/12/2020 16:14:32

Thread: BSA drop down centre stand
28/12/2020 19:37:57

7780cc7a-e116-46f8-a082-b28586943fe6.jpeg

I found this Robert so I guess my memory was correct, it would have been 1978 when I visited and it looks like there has been some redevelopment since then. This advert was from 1975.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 28/12/2020 19:41:21

Edited By Mike Poole on 28/12/2020 20:25:55

28/12/2020 18:08:22

My rather flakey memory thinks Station was in the address and I see there is a station street in atherstone. I was not local to the area but A.Bennett and son were recommended to me so I took a ride up there from Oxford on my spare bike a Honda 250.

Mike

28/12/2020 11:03:13

My first trip for spares for my Trident was to Bennetts in Atherstone. Not long after I bought it the tip of a tooth on the shock absorber sprocket broke off and found its way to the oil pump gear train. So new gears, new sprockets, new rubbers, new primary chain and tab washers and gaskets were on my shopping list. I think the original post about the stand would have me worried unless a secure method of retaining it was usually in place. I find a kickstand most convenient most of the time so it wouldn’t be too much of a problem to have to release a security device to use the centre stand when required. It’s funny how anything that drops down from a vehicle immediately finds a raised drain cover.
Mike

Thread: EON customers
24/12/2020 16:45:56

On the news they have committed to refund those affected, I assume they will also cover any penalties incurred.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest