By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sort of like a guitar...
18/04/2019 11:05:19

I have seen people playing a ukulele bass a couple of times of an electro acoustic construction, the strings were massive but the sound was excellent, amazing from such a small instrument.

Mike

Thread: Lathe controls position
17/04/2019 15:42:51

It seems universally popular to locate the lathe motor controls around the headstock which encourages you to stand in line with the chuck when starting the machine. Should the job not be properly secured you could soon be wearing it, also any oil or swarf can also be ejected in your direction. Relocating purely electrical controls to the tailstock end would move the operator away from the danger area. Not all machines lend themselves easily to this layout, the Colchester’s often have a brake incorporated into the start stop lever.

Mike

Thread: Hard to please OAPs
17/04/2019 11:15:33

I was surrounded by carp fishermen at work, luckily they had other interests as well. A friend used to joke about going to the deaf centre to talk about motorbikes, much of my youth was spent in the never ending debate of Brit vs Jap bikes, it was a lot of fun but I think the Japanese won the argument in the end with some brilliant bikes, took them a few years to finally master handling but they did.

Mike

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 10:49:38

I would recommend trying in the bore after measuring to be sure the gauge is still set to the size you wish to measure just in case anything moved during extraction or measuring.

Mike

Thread: Hard to please OAPs
16/04/2019 17:31:37

I don’t believe it.

Mike

Thread: Notre Dame
16/04/2019 12:14:34

The Hindu community in London built this magnificent temple in Wembley, I think they had to bring some of the skilled people from India but I am sure the skills exist worldwide to restore Notre Dame to its former glory.Wembley Temple.

Mike

16/04/2019 01:10:53

A little clarification for you Hopper, the National Mototorcycle museum is at Bickenhill near Birmingham and the National Motor Museum is at Beaulieu, the motorcycle one burnt down but is now near fully restored. Just had an entertaining 3 hour talk from Norman Hyde on his days as a development engineer for Triumph which seemed a good excuse to race Triumphs, they had great success for a low budget operation with Doug Hele leading the team.

Mike

Thread: Dovetail cutter
15/04/2019 14:55:05

We live in a confusing time, you would think there is nothing more British than the Sherwood Forest but the name has been appropriated by a major tool merchant to be used on tools from whatever sources they use. Is the name intended to convince us it is a British Product? Dasqua is a brand used by Chronos and it would seem to be Italian but Dasqua doesn’t make me think of Italy, it has a Far Eastern ring to it for me. Starrett claim to make tools in North and South America, China and Scotland, Moore and Wright would seem to have some of their range made in China.

China comes in for a lot of criticism for quality much as Japan did 50-60 years ago. I suspect that as time goes on the cheap rubbish will be made elsewhere and we will prize the Chinese quality as happened with Japan. Once the aspirations of a workforce are raised they want better pay and that cannot be funded by making cheap rubbish. It does make life difficult if you want to buy quality rather than cheap, if you buy something cheap enough then your expectations are low but what’s confusing are seemingly random brands at the mid price point, are you paying dear for rubbish of getting good value for money from a well made import? Confusing ain’t it.

Mike

Thread: 'War Department' (arrow) Marking
15/04/2019 08:53:47
Posted by Guy Lamb on 15/04/2019 08:18:02:

Interesting thread. I too have a lot of tools so marked and was lead to believe the 'broad arrow' was used due to the fact that it was easily reproduced with three strokes of a hammer and chisel.

Guy

Some of the marks I have seen look as though they have been produced by exactly that method, I wondered whether that was the case as a chisel can usually be found but a broad arrow punch is a bit harder to find.

Mike

Thread: Bring and buy sale
14/04/2019 19:03:12

Even before austerity you knew you were back in Oxfordshire by the change in road surface.

Mike

Thread: How to get that high end paint finish
13/04/2019 23:37:45

I endorse what Jason says, the finish coat only applies colour and shine to the finish beneath, if you want smooth and shiny then the effort needs to go into the preparation.

Mike

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
13/04/2019 12:36:06

I think the PlayStation is so popular because people who just want to play games just load and go, the PC gamer needs to be a serious geek to get a game to work properly on his particular hardware. Any software needs to work on an impossible to test range of hardware for the PC, Apple take close control of applications and have a very limited range of hardware and operating systems. It does sound as if those having problems with Pocketmags may not be geeky enough to find why their setup is not working, apart from just saying it doesn’t work if they want help they need to give much more information on their hardware, operating system and any other settings and add on programs they may be running. Pocketmags clearly does work for many thousands of people so it is more than likely a problem with the users setup that is causing a problem. My wife may one day accept that she needs to understand how a computer works rather than it work as she thinks it should.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 13/04/2019 12:37:06

Thread: How to get that high end paint finish
13/04/2019 10:31:12

A good quality brush is a help and working at a temperature that is not too hot or cold, thinning the paint may help but a small amount can make quite a big difference.

Mike

Thread: Pendent control box for a VFD
12/04/2019 16:28:00

Telemecanique are my preferred supplier of control components, I think the Harmony buttons are excellent and worth the cost. They are extremely reliable and very suitable for the workshop environment. Not the cheapest but in my opinion they are the best.

Mike

Thread: Tess, my Airedale bitch.
11/04/2019 00:10:24

I was sat next to a springer at the pub quiz tonight, I gave him a bit of a fuss but as he was still damp from a swim in the river the wet dog smell was still quite strong, his owner took him home before the quiz got under way so no more wet dog.

Mike

Thread: Drill too high? Use a milling machine stand!
10/04/2019 23:40:53

Definitely a tidy job Alistair, would a pillar drill where you can usually adjust the height of the head to get the working height to your taste have made life a bit simpler? Very neat solution though with the bonus of storage.

Mike

Thread: Myford colours
10/04/2019 17:17:08

I think one of the reasons car paint suppliers usually offer a mix to sample service is that a car with any age is going to change from its factory colour and a partial respray is going to be obviously different. DIY barns also mix to a sample but I don’t know how accurate their scanners are. I bet if you lined up a row of Myfords wearing their original paint they would all be different colours depending on age and where they have been kept. My green ML7R is still in its original paint which must be near 40 years old now and my tin of paint sourced from Myford 15 years ago or more did not match the lathe perfectly when the paint was new and the lathe was younger. I would suggest a good paint job is better than having the colour spot on that nobody can be certain of anymore. My stand repainted by Myford is not a perfect match for the lathe as the paint on the stand and the lathe are 20 years apart in age.

Mike

Thread: myford leadscrew
09/04/2019 22:01:44
Posted by Jon Lawes on 09/04/2019 20:06:03:

I find the handwheel on my lathe annoying (ML7) as the graduations don't go up cleanly in tens for each revolution. I can't explain it very well, but I mean the end of the graduations end in a five when it reaches zero.

I know what I mean if no-one else does...

As the lead screw is 8tpi you are rather stuck with it moving 125 thou per revolution but you could have a metric version and move 3.175mm, both make life awkward if you have to count past the zero point. Such is life.

Mike

Thread: Folding Bike design & build
09/04/2019 17:43:13

Looks well thought out and engineered Alan, must have burnt some midnight oil on designing that. Nice job.

Mike

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
09/04/2019 09:19:09

The human eye is remarkably good at defending itself but it is also extremely easy to damage if subject to fast moving missiles that defeat its defences. I must admit that I do not put glasses on as soon as I enter the workshop but do use them when required.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest