By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coke for brazing purposes
23/10/2019 10:59:33

I suppose breeze blocks will soon be a thing of the past as one of the major ingredients was ash from coal fired power stations.

Mike

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
23/10/2019 09:03:19

It’s £25 for a ticket bought on the day at the Motorcycle Show and you will queue for very expensive food and drink and it will be crowded, many of the criticisms voiced apply to all shows and always will. The content has changed over the years and it can only be a personal decision whether to attend. Rock concerts are now very expensive in my opinion and the days when I saw 50 top bands in a year would be very expensive to do now.

Mike

Thread: Warco GH1224 Wiring Diagram
22/10/2019 09:52:43

It’s difficult and time consuming to find a fault that may not even exist so I reset and then see where we are, I have come undone on occasions, the breaker suppling an 11kW drive had tripped so I reset, the bang was deafening and it did clean the dust off the fan, we now knew that we were definitely replacing the drive so much time was saved and when you lose a car for every 55 seconds that you are down then time saved is important. Breakers do not only trip because of an electrical fault, vibration and mechanical shocks can trip them. I once had a mysterious fault tripping a 250A breaker but the load was nothing anywhere near capacity, I noticed that one of the incoming phases was rather warm and as it was below the overload heaters it was enough to trip them eventually, no damage had been caused so just tightening up cured the intermittent tripping.

Mike

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
21/10/2019 21:26:07

I am sure that any supplier that has withdrawn from the show circuit would soon be back if their business suffered because of it, I can’t think of anyone who has reversed their decision. There is much similarity between many of the suppliers equipment so a visit to your nearest showroom will familiarise you with the machine of interest, then you can decide what colour you would like or who offers the best service or deal and make your purchase accordingly. I think most people will develop a list of trusted suppliers and buy from them anyway.

Mike

Thread: What's the company called
21/10/2019 11:32:49

**LINK**

was it these people?

Mike

Thread: Pratt Burnerd 4 jaw Chuck jaw alignment
20/10/2019 21:35:36

I think I would strip and clean the chuck and relubricate, also check the register is running true and remachine if necessary. I would eliminate all possibilities before attacking a lightly used chuck with a regrind.

Mike

Thread: angle plate
20/10/2019 18:05:14

How about cylindrical squares then Tim?

Mike

Thread: Confession Time!
20/10/2019 09:44:11

Remember the days when you were working on a car engine and the tool you dropped usually appeared under the car? Now they fall into the under tray and a telescopic magnet with light is a big help to retrieve tool or whatever you dropped.

Mike

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
19/10/2019 11:47:29

I had an interesting chat on the CNC4you stand which I don’t remember having been at a show before. In recent years there have been a few new entrants into the ME market and the shows provide a good chance to demonstrate their wares and knowledge. Younger entrants to ME are very likely to be very savvy with internet shopping and able to find much info and advice online. When Ketan withdrew Arceurrotrade from the show circuit he was brave enough to make his case on this forum and I think most people have great respect for his reasoning. The same reasons are likely to apply to most of the traders and hence we are seeing them fall away from shows and use the internet and their own showroom facilities to market their products. It’s funny how my experience of visiting on Thursday is different from some other posters, I joined the prepaid ticket queue at 9:37 and was through the doors at 10:02, I made a beeline for the balcony restaurant and there was no queue for my full English and coffee. Moving round the show was busy but not too bad, sometimes you have to wait for a gap to emerge to get to the front on some stalls but not a problem, after I came in from the outside exhibits and jet engine demo there was a strong haze of bacon smoke and a longish queue at the catering counter, the haze was unusual and I wonder if cooked food downstairs is new as I thought is was just a coffee cake and sandwich point in the past. We have already seen the demise of the Model engineer show so maybe the writing is on the wall for the others? There are still quite a lot of shows and I suspect the club run shows which strongly feature models and are run by a club with willing members can keep going as long as the members are prepared to make a considerable effort. I imagine the commercial shows will run until they start making a loss and I am sure they are thinking what to do to keep things going. Maybe shows will evolve and some of the criticism is that they are not like they used to be but if it was your first visit would you be happy with the experience. Times they are a changin’.

Mike

Thread: Tapping drill size
18/10/2019 23:23:54

I have been lucky enough to be gifted quite a lot of tooling from toolmakers and jig fitters who have retired, the taper shank drills seem to have a lot of 10.2, 8.3, 6.8,5.1 drills. I assume that these were the preferred tapping sizes used by chaps with hundreds of years of experience between them, even before I noticed this these were the sizes that I use.

Mike

Thread: VFD and screwcutting
15/10/2019 13:23:58

I would have a look at the braking features before making a decision on a VFD. A short ramp may be enough to give you what you need but some drives can use DC injection type braking which can be quite brutal. Some drives will need an external resistor to use the shortest ramps. I think that the ML 10 will probably only need the standard drive to give you the performance you want as it doesn’t have a large inertia to control. If you don’t mind fiddling then you could probably shorten the ramp at low speeds but it may trip with a heavy job or fast speed.

Mike

Thread: An interesting repair to an Hour Wheel
13/10/2019 13:32:19

I love a bit of alternative engineering, I have used it myself on many occasions. It is amazing what you can do with a few bits and pieces that are laying around or can be repurposed..

Mike

Thread: Plinth size?
13/10/2019 11:19:33

I suffer a similar disability with art and proportion but I think we all know when something looks right. I expect someone will have the answer you seek but otherwise I think I would try a few mockups and hope that the when it looks right it is right moment occurs.

Mike

Thread: Inverter reset?
12/10/2019 14:12:37

It’s possible parameter 50 set to 8 may define input X1 as a reset if that inverter is the same as the one I have just read about.

Mike

Thread: What is this called?
12/10/2019 14:07:26

That’s a good spot Bill, looks like Iain is sorted.

Mike

Thread: Inverter reset?
12/10/2019 13:22:17

Removing and restoring power will often reset faults. It’s possible that one of the drive parameters will also clear the fault. Check there is not a reset input that you have not wired.

Mike

Thread: What is this called?
12/10/2019 11:23:28

**LINK**

try here It’s a Fuhr item

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 12/10/2019 11:53:36

12/10/2019 11:11:21

Try searching for window keeps.

Mike

Thread: Cast iron cabinet theft
12/10/2019 11:02:21

Metal thieves are as bold as brass, during the night they pulled a mile of phone cable out of the ducts and cut the whole village off the internet and phone network. It took the best part of 2 weeks to repair the damage to the ducts and replace the cable. They must have had a buyer to go to that much trouble.

Mike

Thread: Changing internet providers
12/10/2019 00:25:49

I think you have to review what your total usage is going to need. When my son and his girlfriend were in residence then we could be supplying him on a game her on social media, my wife streaming a tv catch-up and me on YouTube. There is no point in buying something you don’t need or use. A reasonably fast connection does make surfing the Internet a more satisfying experience but depending on what you are doing the law of diminishing returns does kick in and a 1Gb connection will not greatly improve a solo user experience, of course we don’t want to go back to a 56kb dial up connection as the much more complex sites need more horsepower to provide a satisfactory performance.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest