By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
07/12/2019 10:54:42

The clutch went on my sons car, he was about 8 miles from home so dad to the rescue, a quick diagnosis and then explained how to drive without a clutch, he was home before me! The idea that this would be a good practical lesson in replacing a clutch soon fizzled out, once again I was rolling around under a car with spanner’s in hand. My enthusiasm has rather waned for working on cars, I used to quite enjoy it but now I just let the local garage get on with it, they are genuine and reasonable charges.

Mike

Thread: Meddings pillar drill colour
05/12/2019 17:31:39

My pet hate with repainting is that people paint over useful things like motor rating plates and fasteners that crack all the paint off when dismantling is required. I like the blue.my MF4 is blue but the M10 is grey but will be blue one day

Mike

Thread: Amplifier Repairs..
05/12/2019 00:30:24

I played a cassette I had recorded years ago of Coloseum ll I thought the guitar sounded like Gary Moore, it turned out is was but I suppose he is quite distinctive.

Mike

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
05/12/2019 00:21:27

I swap effortlessly between my 8 speed sport auto and 6 speed manual, flappy paddles just keep you busy as a busy thing. I had a manual beemer and found it hard work whereas my manual Ford is sweet and slick, my father said treat the gear stick like a pencil and let the selectors and gate find their way in, a friend of my sons just smashed his gearbox around and his new car soon had somewhat less gears than it should have. The auto is a very pleasant drive but the manual is no trouble either.

Mike

04/12/2019 19:35:48

I was at a local blues jam which I used to go to regularly, just to listen as I can’t play a note on anything. The lineup changed round after every couple of songs so I was nattering to a mate as they started playing, instantly I knew the bass had changed and that it was Dominic Telfer who I had seen a few times before. It always amazes me how good the local musicians are, most have never been famous and never will be but can match anyone who did get the lucky breaks.
Mike

04/12/2019 18:42:26

The holy grail for a musician is to have their own sound, some will freely describe how they achieve it and others will guard their secret. Some like a clean sound like Hank Marvin and others will have a huge pedal board and all sorts of effects even before the amp adds its two pence worth.

Mike

Thread: Nuts
03/12/2019 23:05:53

Theoretically incorrect but seems to work.

Mike

03/12/2019 12:21:34

Allegedly VOX chucked an AC30 down a flight of stairs as a demo of robustness, and it worked when they powered it up, may be true but I wouldn’t put my money on a valve amp working after a test like that but sometimes you get lucky. Legend has it that most of the Marshall cabinets in the back line of a band like Motörhead are empty apart from a red light. Keeping a touring rig working must be never ending job.

Mike

Thread: Suggestions to pack round DC motor so bracket holds
03/12/2019 10:58:55

The OP suggests resilient mount so I suspect it is not a direct tooling spindle.

Mike

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 10:42:50
Posted by Robin on 03/12/2019 10:27:55:

I remember the Chequers, we used to sit on the benches in their odd courtyard, then off to the Turf to sit on the benches in their odd courtyard. Wonder if it is still there...

They are both still going strong unlike many other Oxford pubs, I spent Sunday evening for awhile having a pint in every one of Oxfords 165 pubs. A quick mental tally would seem that about 40 have closed but a few have opened. People never used to preload in my day which must have been better for pubs.

Mike

03/12/2019 09:53:33

If Typhoo put the T in Britain who put the **** in Scunthorpe, from the gents wall in the Chequers in Oxford High circa 1970ssmiley
Mike

03/12/2019 09:46:01

Looks a beautifully made unit, well respected for its sound as well. Having looked in a few hifi audio amps they often seem to just birds nest the wiring, the justification seems to be that it reduces crosstalk pickup however Quad must be immune from this as they have beautiful neat wiring. Could it really be a cost saving measure or design shortcut?

Mike

Thread: Anyone know about Mitsubishi plcs
02/12/2019 20:58:04

It’s a near certainty you have lost the program, do you have a backup and the means to load it? A paper listing would be the minimum help but manually entering it all is tedious.

Mike

Thread: Breaking bandsaw blades
02/12/2019 18:25:36

The blade welder on the workshop bandsaw had an annealing operation after welding, perhaps this was not done or cooled too quickly and hardened again. Might be worth annealing the joint if it has been butt welded, a pencil flame torch should manage it without affecting too much of the blade.

Mike

Thread: Suggestions to pack round DC motor so bracket holds
02/12/2019 18:19:05

A piece of inner tube could do the job but they are getting rare with even motorcycles using tubeless tyres, could be worth a cheeky visit to your favourite tyre fitting place.

Mike

Thread: Tapping a nylon hole.
01/12/2019 22:52:36

Very true, we always talk of tapping a hole but in fact tap the material surrounding the hole, full marks for pedantry Andrew I do like people to say what they meansmiley

Mike

Unfortunately answering the question my wife actually asks doesn’t win me any brownie points, I must learn to answer what she meant to asksad

Edited By Mike Poole on 01/12/2019 22:56:37

Thread: Meddings M10 VFD?
01/12/2019 22:44:49

I have a Meddings M10 high speed drilling machine, it didn’t come with the two high speed pulley sets, as I suspect many don’t. As it has a three phase motor I have been mulling over a single phase motor conversion but today I was hit with the blindly obvious solution of an inverter and just ramp up the frequency to 83Hz to emulate the 10,000rpm pulley set. The only irritation is the motor star point will need to be accessed but this should be doable. The pulleys are probably as rare as unicorn tears which is strange as every machine was supplied with a full set so where did they all go?

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 01/12/2019 22:45:27

Thread: Reamer size questions
01/12/2019 22:19:55

You could make your own toolmakers reamer to any size you want, cheap and easy to make. Google will supply the how to make.

Mike

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
01/12/2019 22:09:10

Living next to Martin Bakers test facility at Chalgrove we hear quite a lot of test ejections from the Meteors they use for testing, I have not felt that they sounded like a sonic boom but I lived a few hundred meters from the ejection point the sonic booms were rather more distant and the culprits were possibly from the Clutch stations of Wildenrath, Brüggen, Gutersloh etc. Or maybe the Luftwaffe with their widowmaker Starfighters, who knows it was a long time ago.

Mike

01/12/2019 17:21:05

I suppose the period when I remember them as commonplace was living in Germany from 1963 to 1966, job to know whether it was the RAF or the Luftwaffe, skywriting was another regular event over the skies of Düsseldorf.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest