By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Noise Isolating Platform
25/01/2020 00:44:48

On a smaller scale squash balls can be used to isolate a platform.

M8ke

Thread: Desoldering how to?
24/01/2020 17:42:13

Desoldering high quality glass fibre boards is a hell of a lot easier than the old SRBP boards, a moment too long and the track lifted, time to get the Kynar wire out and bodge ( I mean repair) the board.

Mike

24/01/2020 12:57:51

After removing as much solder as possible the component legs will often still be soldered to the wall of plated through holes, I heat the leg and use a suitable tool to move the leg away from the wall. If you are out of earshot then swearing and abuse helps, it probably doesn’t make a positive contribution to the task but you will feel better.

Mike

24/01/2020 12:30:58

Soderwick fluxed braid works well for me after a sucker has removed most of the solder. Sometimes it helps to add some fresh solder then desolder. If you have very deep pockets then people like Weller make professional desoldering stations with vacuum pumps and heating dies for various chips. You would have to be making a living from board repair to use that sort of gear though.

Mike

Thread: Scraping a magbase
24/01/2020 07:26:02

Although it rocks on two corners only one is high, it may be worth working on one high corner only.

Mike

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 22:14:07

Of course we could call silver soldering and brazing hard soldering. Hard soldering doesn’t seem such a popular term as it used to be.

Mike

Thread: Tuna Can Blower
22/01/2020 17:58:24
Posted by Brian H on 22/01/2020 14:37:55:

I'm impressed. The only problem I have is that I'm a vegetarian so no tuna cans!!

Brian

Give the tuna to the cat and you have won a cansmiley

Mike

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 13:02:21

Looks like a few of us were introduced to brazing with town gas and blower, the conversion to natural gas never seemed as good. Working in a factory oxy acetylene was readily available and a good mate was a skilled welder, we made the skilled distinction as in a car factory many people were trained to do specific welding tasks and they were damn good at the specific task but the skilled welder was taught all welding disciplines and could weld any material. They also understood the metallurgy side of the job so they were a very different animal to a production welder. Some of the production guys ran fearsome settings on their machines, everything up to 11.

Mike

22/01/2020 09:50:13

This can of worms has existed for many years and just to add to the confusion there are various definitions. As long as you are clear on what each process requires and what is best suited to a given task then call it what you prefer. My personal preference is silver soldering which I use for the process that uses a silver based filler rod and brazing for a brass based filler, bronze welding is another process but unless you have an oxy fuel torch this will not be an option. Brazing was possible with the old town gas and a blower but I get the impression that a propane only torch is on its limit for brazing. As silver based rods are expensive then if you have enough heat brass brazing is an economical choice for steel but for odd jobs silver soldering may work well. Sticking to the rules is vital to success in silver soldering, if you deviate then trouble is likely but if you adhere then success is likely.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 22/01/2020 09:52:28

Thread: Problem with my downstairs ;)
21/01/2020 21:26:20

The nuts for ER collets are designed to be tightened with a C spanner apart from very small sizes. Collet nuts are not the only nuts to use a C spanner as you have discovered. C spanner’s are very compact compared to a normal open end spanner although probably similar to a ring spanner but the nut is smaller so the whole thing is more compact.

Mike

Thread: Compressors
21/01/2020 12:26:08

A large receiver could extend the runtime of a small compressor as long as you are prepared to charge it up, of course once you run out of air then it’s game over until you charge up again.

Mike

Thread: Ian S C Back again
21/01/2020 12:19:20

Good to have you back, hope you are fixed now.

Mike

20/01/2020 22:12:46

Keith Hale always maintains that silver soldering is a brazing process. He has presented many lectures on silver soldering at shows and clubs, I think he knows a bit about silver soldering.

Mike

Thread: Back plunger indicators - does anyone use them?
20/01/2020 21:38:27

Can be handy for jobs like mill head tramming as the face is always in view.

Mike

Thread: A good toolpost drill design
19/01/2020 22:49:39

If you can find one and have deep pockets the the Quick Step mill is a nice tool for this sort of work. A spindle with a drive from a motor often using a round belt is another popular option. The Arrand spindle is sought after and fetches a good price but they often appear on eBay and sometimes a bargain price will be paid. The drive for the spindle will be whatever you want to build though.

Mike

Thread: Apologies for raising this again
19/01/2020 22:29:44

That really does look like a crank that would have a severe rigidity problem if any tuning was applied to that engine. I am not surprised that lotus 7s use all sorts of different engines.smiley

Mike

Thread: Has anyone watched this Girl
19/01/2020 18:02:33

Interesting to listen to Jordan Peterson on women’s roles, given equal opportunities men and women do not choose jobs in an even split, engineers have a male bias and doctors have a female bias. It’s difficult to to eliminate cultural factors but I do feel that men and women do have natural strengths that are not just nurtured. I hope that it is or will be possible for anyone to indulge in what interests them regardless of their gender. Cherry Hill has to be one of the best model engineers in a world that has a very strong old men population and she seems to have respect from all of us.

Mike

Thread: Why is my silver steel undersize
19/01/2020 12:03:57

As much computer hardware is specified by the Americans then much of it is imperial standard sizes. Most of the fasteners in a PC are American threads.

Mike

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition 2020
19/01/2020 09:33:51

My sons fiancé is a magician with a sewing machine but seems to be able to turn her hand to anything.

Mike

Thread: Ally Pally Exhibition
18/01/2020 13:47:47

SMEE were there yesterday John, quite a small stand though. I managed a couple of hours but then I was done, it made it very comfortable to walk around as plenty of space in the aisles these days.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
mid gard rail Jan 2020
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest