By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pensions
21/02/2019 11:47:31

Probably worth taking some professional advice on your options. Good advice costs but making a bad decision could cost a lot more

Mike

Thread: SX2p mill gas struts
21/02/2019 11:43:51

15 = Body diameter

220=stroke

260= body length

Thread: Quality issues with a SIEG SX2.7 mini mill
21/02/2019 00:05:06

Although imported machinery is cheap it still needs quite a lot of hard earned money to buy it. Expecting Aciera or Schaublin quality at Asian prices is unrealistic. When you sit back and think what you get for what you have paid you are not doing to badly. As you have bought cheap you are going to have to put in some effort or money to reach your expectations of precision. When you have fettled the unfeasably cheap machine to an acceptable level you will be quids in compared to buying a top quality machine. As we are obsessed with the lowest price it is unreasonable to expect the highest quality, it would be interesting to see how the price rises if the specification was improved, I suspect the Asian suppliers could provide very good value for money but at the end of the day quality does cost money.

Mike

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
20/02/2019 14:42:13

They are pretty nippy, takes me 2 hours to get to Bristol and I don’t go via St Athan and Pembrey.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 20/02/2019 14:43:40

20/02/2019 14:06:56

They weren’t around long at 400mph and 500ft655fdca2-32ec-4e29-9b17-aafca19fa6c4.jpeg

20/02/2019 13:56:20

Sometimes it’s fortunate to live under RAF Benson approach path, 3 Tornados on the flypast just went over, 2 mins early though.

Mike

Thread: SX2p mill gas struts
20/02/2019 10:36:26

**LINK**

some info here

mike

Thread: Modern equivellent idea's please
20/02/2019 08:33:33

It is probably a very long shot but Crompton Parkinson was absorbed by BrookCrompton Motors. Their spares department may roll on the floor laughing or say certainly, how many would you like? You never know.

Mike

Thread: 3 Jaw self centering ER chuck
20/02/2019 08:24:43

It sounds as though this works but in very qualified situation for a very specific purpose. This is not an alternative ER chuck but a special purpose tool utilising an ER collet. Worth filing for reference and may be a seed for other applications. Interesting.

Mike

Thread: Problems with RCB wiring - solved!
20/02/2019 07:01:54

Remember to keep the neutrals on the correct neutral bar on a split load consumer unit or it will trip the RCD.

Mike

Thread: Plus or Minus
18/02/2019 08:07:58

Just be thankful you haven’t got a robot with multiple coordinate systemssmiley

Mike

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
17/02/2019 20:24:25
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/02/2019 20:11:26:
Posted by Mike Poole on 17/02/2019 11:09:13:

It seem a novelty these days when a tea shop makes tea in a pot with loose tea and you get a tea strainer, seems a long time ago when this was normal at home.

Mike

Not at mine, my dad refused to use such things so despite welcoming tea bags, I still leave 3/8" at the bottom of the mug to avoid the grouts.

Neil

If tea is made properly I think the grouts should sink and you are safe just leaving the last bit to avoid the mouthful of leaves, I think a strainer is just a bit of insurance in case you go a bit too far, teabags have made reading you future a bit difficult.

Mike

Thread: National Trust and Gift Aid
17/02/2019 20:11:21

I regularly take the gift aid option and have not experienced any adverse contact.

Mike

17/02/2019 15:57:12
Posted by Watford on 17/02/2019 12:36:22:
Posted by Mike Poole on 17/02/2019 11:09:13:

It seem a novelty these days when a tea shop makes tea in a pot with loose tea and you get a tea strainer, seems a long time ago when this was normal at home.

Mike

That's with fresh cream and strawberry jam to go with the newly baked scones I take it?wink

Absolutely! And the cream goes on first then the jam.

Mike

17/02/2019 11:09:13

Mike

Thread: National Trust and Gift Aid
17/02/2019 11:03:08

If you are fortunate enough to be a higher rate tax payer then you can claim the difference between the 20% the charity claim and the higher rate of 40% at present. Keep a record of your gift aid donations and put in a claim.

Mike

16/02/2019 10:53:48

The London end of our private microlink was on the roof of Marathon Oil HQ on Marylebone Road, they got a new bean to cup free vend coffee machine which had a dial marked 1-25, my friend Pete assumed it was for strength and selected 25, the machine proceeded to dispense 25 cups of coffeelaugh

Mike

15/02/2019 14:39:14

My sons office coffee machine allows you to customise your coffee with an app on your smart phone so you should get it made to your taste.

Mike

Thread: Modern equivellent idea's please
14/02/2019 23:04:05

**LINK**

**LINK**

These items from Toolstation will start you off, the overload is available separately if you wish to fit one and should be selected to match the full load current of the motor. The starter will give you NVR protection (No Volt Release) which will stop the motor restarting by itself after a power failure. If required remote start and stop buttons can be wired to the starter which means you can have a small button box in a convenient position and loacate the starter out of the way. If reverse is required a changeover switch can be added. The single phase motor will need to stop before changing direction as it will carry on in the same direction if it has a centrifugal switch in the start winding.

Mike

14/02/2019 10:51:26
Posted by Samsaranda on 14/02/2019 09:48:04:

Clive, does Army Tea still have the additive that was used years ago I.e. Bromide, those who have served in her Majesty’s will understand the reference.

Sorry going off topic a bit.

Dave W

I suspect the very male enviroment quelled the male urge, didn’t seem to trouble squaddies when the were let loose on the town. I went on an outward bound course for a month with about 80 lads when I was an apprentice and the same question was raised, the two Icelandic girls who worked in the canteen got plenty of attention though.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest