By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Poole

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Poole has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: water supply
17/06/2019 11:04:21

Surely economics is as simple as selling something for more than it costs to make, Apple have taken it to an extreme by selling a £100 phone for a £1000 and we queue up to buy them.

Mike

Thread: Dro scale positioning
17/06/2019 08:59:42
Posted by Gary Wooding on 14/06/2019 10:08:06:

Mike

The conversion in my photo uses glass scales and no interference with handles has been encountered.

That’s interesting Gary, my Warco VMC definitely fouls the knee raise crank handle with the table wound fully out and a glass scale fitted, they do make small changes over the years so maybe they changed some aspect of the knee raise crank handle or it’s position. Oh well problem solved with the magnetic sensor.

Mike

Thread: sulphuric acid
16/06/2019 17:43:03

Makes a nice hand warmer on a cold day, a bit of a bugger when your finger goes though the bag though. It was a major error breeding dogs with short legs and long hair. Trimming the area round the rusty sheriff’s badge is not a fun pass time either.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 16/06/2019 17:47:26

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 10:43:12

Luckily I live at the source end of the Thames and so get first use, London are pretty much last to use the Thames watersmiley

Mike

Thread: Why a round bed?
15/06/2019 19:28:11

I worked with a chap who could carry a big bag of cement under each arm and another chap could bend 2” conduit over his knee.

Mike

Thread: Old member returning
14/06/2019 12:54:20

Eclipse list 14” blades in 6,10,14 tpi and 0.050” amd0.062” thickness. They are often on eBay and sometimes cheap.

( they actually list 350mm but I wouldn’t argue about the difference)

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 14/06/2019 12:55:42

Thread: Dro scale positioning
14/06/2019 09:32:04

I looked at fitting a glass scale on the front of my VMC and found the crank handle fouls the scale when the table is fully forward. I have decided to use a magnetic scale on the rear of the table with a thin cover so only 2mm of movement should be lost. Machining a groove in the back of the table could be done and no movement lost.

Mike

Thread: Illegal CD copy
13/06/2019 21:38:55

YouTube pay a derisory amount to the artists whose work they host but the sheer volume of traffic may make it worth allowing their work to be posted on there. The fact that some popular Model engineering titles go out of print for long periods probably means there is not a fortune to be made from the royalties. Ian Bradley’s Myford lathe handbook was fetching silly money on eBay for a long time before it was reprinted. Len Masons Minnie Book still fetches a tidy sum.

Mike

Thread: Reference books
13/06/2019 12:32:38

There are 2 sizes of the Shetack , 105mm and 144mm.

Mike

Thread: Noise Cameras
12/06/2019 23:21:10

The standard mark should be clearly marked on a motorcycle exhaust system, most of the noisy ones are race pipes which will not have the marking, a copper and a notebook could soon fill it at a race meeting bike park, only a pencil and notebook needed, you can’t beat a low tech solution.

Mike

12/06/2019 18:59:11

Studies have found that exposure to noise can have significant physical and mental health implications – with heart attacks, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and stress all linked to long-term contact with loud environments.

Thats me ****ed then laugh

Mike

Thread: Reference books
12/06/2019 17:09:24

Monument tools still list the small shetack tapping chart Shetack A pity the shipping is more than the toolsad

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 12/06/2019 17:12:13

Thread: Worx 20V drill issue
12/06/2019 12:12:05

Releasing the trigger gently will usually bring the drill to a more gentle stop

Mike

12/06/2019 12:04:39

Many super cars produce an acceptable burble at town driving speeds but gun the throttle and the dbs will rocket to an unacceptable level for some. I am sure the Mersey Tunnel has had some exhaust music in the last couple of weeks from those TT bound.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 12/06/2019 12:08:48

Thread: Illegal CD copy
12/06/2019 11:36:47

The supply of old magazines must be finite and diminishing, it would be wise to digitise them while they can still be found and archive them for future use and hopefully copyright will be sorted out, but don’t hold your breath on that one.

Mike

12/06/2019 11:18:38

Before the ignition was part of the steering lock or keyless a decent backfire could be obtained by turning off the ignition and then back on ( of course this is just what I have heard).

Mike

Thread: Chinese speed controller
12/06/2019 08:43:37

Looks like eBay had some problems for a while this morning, it came back up moments after I said it was down, I bet the heat was on the techs at eBay for a while, I wonder how many times they were asked how long it would be to get it running again?

Mike

12/06/2019 08:39:59

Looks like it’s back on line, most single phase induction motors are unsuitable for speed control as they often have a centrifugal switch which will operate to reengage the start winding which you don’t want to do, the other problem is capacitors in the motor circuit will be incorrect if you change the frequency. The controller you link to is likely to be of the type used for controlling the voltage to a universal motor which can easily be identified as it will have a commutator and brushes. Induction motors will not be happy on reduced voltage and the magic smoke is likely to escape.

Mike

12/06/2019 08:15:50

It seems eBay is down Michael.

Mike

Thread: Electricity Supply
10/06/2019 19:46:21

Let’s just get cracking on a transporter. Beam me up Scotty.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest