By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Long

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Long has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chinese drip feed oilers
07/08/2021 17:35:39

Brian - I think the thread that you're struggling with is actually 1/8in BSP - the usual figure given for the od is 0.383 in. x 28 tpi. It's a fairly common thread, even my cheapo tap and die set included it.

Thread: Help to identify Lathe
01/07/2021 18:38:29

Yep, Drummond M type.

For a LOT of info try the "drummondlathe@groups.io".

Once you've become a "member" you can access the files and you'll find a load of information about all of the Drummond manufactured lathes. As a "non-member" you should still be able to see the topics under discussion and get a feel for the depth of knowledge, friendliness and helpfulness of the rest of the group.

Keith

Thread: facilitas 3.5 gauge
16/05/2021 15:17:29

Hi All, if you go to the following website - https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Midlands_2015_2.html - and have a look at the thumbnails of the photos that come up. The 4th down on the right hand side should show you what Facilitas looks like.

Thread: Rothenberger Super Fire 2 Torch
07/05/2021 12:13:10

Bullfinch also do a couple of bottle mounted torches. Not used one but the Bullfinch hose torches that I've got seem to be completely satisfactory.

Thread: Protective film for polished metal.
04/05/2021 00:19:26

What about ordinary kitchen cling-film?

Thread: Covid 19 and the DVLA
24/03/2021 00:39:04

I'm in much the same situation but if you look on the DVLA website there is a note that suggests that driving licences were given an automatic 11 months extension. My licence "expired" in October 2020 but I had very little problem with getting the use of a loan car - with insurance on the dealers policy, while my own car was being serviced, and the dealer DID check with their insurance company.

I believe that the problem with the eye tests is that some of the machines used for the field tests cannot be sanitised between examinations due to the effects of the sanitiser on the surface of the bowl. I arranged for an eye test with Boots last October and there was no problem, but they did not carry out the field test. Face masks and appropriate protective gear had to be worn by both the tester and the person being tested.

Thread: Whats this tap? Thread form?
10/03/2021 17:09:52
Posted by Split Pin on 10/03/2021 17:06:57:

1" BSP

thumbs up

Thread: Any idea on what this item is?
07/02/2021 11:21:10

It looks as though there is a fiducial mark on the peg to the left of the worm bearing nearest the hand-wheel as well as the minutes markings on the worm shaft.

Having worked in an industrial R&D environment for 31 years I got quite used to seeing odd bits of equipment like this that were made up for special purposes where one or a few off measurements were needed and/or suitable ready built kit wasn't readily available. The mounting plate has again probably been re-purposed from some scrapped machine and just happened to be suitable for the job - pretty heavy and solid.

R&D scientists/engineers tend to be pretty resourceful when they need to be and re-purposing odd bits of kit was part of the fun.

Thread: Odd size allthread availability?
02/02/2021 19:57:03

I think you'll struggle. In Kempes Engineers Year Book for 1965 7/32 BSF is marked up as "to be dispensed with whenever possible". So if it was out of favour 55 years ago it's not likely to be stocked very much. The common sizes of 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 are readily available according to a quick internet search.

Thread: Can you ID this vintage lathe?
24/01/2021 09:04:02

It looks very reminiscent of a Drummond 5 inch, particularly the heavily T slotted cross-slide, see www.lathes.co.uk/drummond5inchphotoessay

Thread: Flexispeed fixed steady
17/12/2020 15:42:49

Geoff personal message sent, please check your account inbox.

Keith

Thread: Identify linisher part
16/12/2020 15:40:58

Adrian - looking at the pictures in your link it says Reg'd Trademark cast above and below the name LINISHER. Using Linisher as a trademark in a search at the Intellectual Property Office comes up with 4 references. 3 of them are for Turner Machine Tools Limited, 63-68 Princip Street, Birmingham, 4, United Kingdom and are dated 1st Oct 1913, 30th April 1929 and the third which includes the word "OSCIMATIC" is dated 23rd May 1968.

One other reference comes up but the word changes to "Finisher", that is owned by Gühring KG, Herderstr. 50-54, Albstadt, 72458, Germany and is dated 11th March 2020 so very unlikely to be anything to do with your machine part.

Personally I'd look to see what I could find out about Turner Machine Tools. The status of all the Turner references is "dead" so I guess the company no longer exists although the IPO representative name is given as Barker Brettell LLP, 100 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8QQ, United Kingdom, who might have some information about the company as a last resort

Hope that's of some help.

Edited By Keith Long on 16/12/2020 15:42:08

Thread: Drawing Projections
11/12/2020 14:01:01

I think you'll find that in land measurement the " A R P " refers to Acres, Roods (not rods) and Perches, the ration being 40 Perches = 1 Rood, 4 Roods = 1 Acre.

Where I used to live in the West Midlands (used to be part of Worcestershire) there was an location Rood End, I'm not sure whether it was named after the land measure or had ecclesiastical connections as in rood screen.

Thread: Boat hull formula
07/12/2020 13:54:15

Bob if the tug that you are building is a scale model of a full size actual tug, look up the displacement of the full size vessel (internet search) and divide by the cube of the scale factor that you are building to, that will give you the weight that your model needs to be to float at the design waterline. If your model comes out lighter than that figure then you'll want ballast, if heavier then you might be better trying to loose some of the weight before you go too far. If the model is only slightly heavier than the "scale design" figure then don't worry too much, tugs can benefit from sitting a bit deeper to make sure that the propeller has enough water to "bite" on. Too much weight and then you're building a submarine!

Thread: Reverse Sewing Machine Motor?
05/12/2020 13:08:37

It doesn't matter whether it's series or shunt wound, you still have to reverse the field in either the stator windings or the rotor relative to the other to get the reverse rotation. In the last month I've been through this exercise with a series wound dc motor (ex car fan blower) to enable reversing by just swapping the input leads. That required a full wave bridge between the rotor and stator windings to get the necessary field inversion in the stator. I believe that Taycol motors (amongst others) used a wound field and had a 2 pole reversing switch that did the necessary reconnection of either the rotor or stator winding as required.

04/12/2020 10:57:35

Hi Buffer - to reverse that motor you'll need to do it inside the motor - and you probably won't be able to get at the connections inside without destroying the motor, as everything seem to be moulded in - been there and gave up when I realised what I'd need to do! If you can access the brushes there is a good chance that you'll find that they are offset to favour the running direction so they won't be at all happy if you do manage to reverse the motor. Sewing machine motors of that type are generally built for single direction rotation and are sold as being set for clockwise or anti-clockwise rotation. Y

Your options would seem to be buy another motor that goes the way you want or re-jig the motor mountings so that you get the rotation that you need on the spindle. If you mount the motor slightly skewed then you can just use a crossed drive belt to get the rotation direction that you want. That would also give you the option of bi-directional rotation if you ever need it.

Don't believe everything that see on the internet, I think older motors CAN be dismantled and reversed but the newer ones are made using modern techniques and materials to keep the price down. Reverse on a sewing machine is a mechanical operation to keep the timing right through the needle shuttle interaction, rather than just driving the whole machine backwards.

Edited By Keith Long on 04/12/2020 11:03:44

Edited By Keith Long on 04/12/2020 11:04:57

Thread: Article on profile tooling for a lathe?
23/11/2020 21:04:27

Diane

I think the following thread on here might be the one that you're after - https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=110851.

Particularly the postings by "Nobby" where he shows how he uses a template.

Thread: My first lathe, a restoration project
08/11/2020 22:01:17

Hi Liam, I don't know if I'm reading you correctly but it sounds to me as though you're thinking of possibly using the B-type for wood turning as one of the options. If so you need to be aware that the headstock bearings on the B-type are only good for an absolute maximum of 1000 rpm - and that's pushing it. The lathe was originally meant for foot treadle operation where the max speed would have been about 500rpm - a bit slow for woodturning I'd suggest -I've tried it!

Thread: Marshall Portable Engine
01/11/2020 20:55:20

Paul - pm sent.

Keith

Thread: First workbench, for an ML7 lathe
27/10/2020 15:35:28

William, both those benches that you linked to above have the same fault - no diagonal bracing. Without that they are liable to start twisting around under even small loads, I wouldn't want a lathe mounted on top if it started to go. I've got a Clarke bench the CWB 1250 in my garage as a workbench with a vice mounted on it - no machinery. That has sheet metal side panels but even so sawing or filing in the vice had the bench moving and twisting. It was fine once it was fastened to the wall!

As Howard says above, bolted construction will be fine, and it'll be a lot easier to dismantle for moving that a welded bench. Even buying the steel angle from somewhere like B&Q I think you'll break even on the cost and have a better bench.

The top can be made of 12, 16 or 18 mm ply - reasonably easy to cut by hand or get it cut to size by the supplier, the thinner material WILL need support underneath it, but you'll be putting cross beams in under the lathe bolt holes any way - won't you.

On bench design I don't think of the top as support for the machine, that has to be part of the bench structure, the top is to stop things falling through and give you a flat area for the other items that you need while using the lathe. I wouldn't worry too much about a drip tray at this stage but if you want one have a look in the garden centres for either plant pot trays or "grow-bag" trays and put that on the bench top with the lathe in the tray.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
cowells
JD Metals
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest