By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Long

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Long has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is this thread called these days? 3/4"-16 SAE
22/10/2019 15:35:32

You've already got the search term,"3/4" - 16 SAE" followed by "tap" works for me. You could always try 3/4" UNF.

Thread: Collet sticking in chuck
03/10/2019 10:50:12

John are you fitting the collet in the ER chuck correctly?

If you are then removing the locking nut - not just loosening it - will remove the collet from the chuck as the collet is "captive" in the nut. If when you try to release the collet grip you need to undo the nut sufficiently for the collet to pull forward slightly from the chuck to release whatever it is holding.

Keith

Thread: M4 x 0.75mm pitch CSk machine screws
22/08/2019 21:44:17

Tracy tools list the taps and dies for these if you don't fancy screwcutting them.

Thread: Woodworking Router
11/08/2019 12:20:11

Ron the other thing to be aware of especially cutting MDF is DUST - it gets everywhere and routing produces a lot. Make sure that you get an appropriate mask for the mdf.

Thread: Lathe Identifier
11/08/2019 10:15:49

Liam - have a look at the lathes.co.uk webpage for the "IXL Leader". There is a photo on there of one from the 1930's, looks remarkably similar to your machine. The machines were mostly built in Germany hence the continental appearance.

The Colchester similarity is also interesting as I have an IXL lathe (dismantled at the moment), with a cast IXL name plate. and definitely an IXL Leader bed The odd thing is that my machine is a gear head and the headstock is either a VERY close copy of a Colchester roundhead Master headstock or IS a Colchester headstock re-badged.

Keith

Thread: Precision Ground Rod
08/08/2019 13:33:38

Vic try "Ondrives" - link - looks like they can offer a choice of stainless steel specs as well.

Keith

Thread: What size milling tool
06/08/2019 16:43:56

Garry, in the"Model Engineers Handbook" by "Tubal Cain" (T D Walshaw) for profiling with an end mill he states that the best results are when the cutter - diameter D is cutting a vertical depth (plate thickness ) of D and a maximum width of cut into the material of D/4. He also suggest that the minimum vertical depth of cut should be 0.006" and the maximum width of cut should be no more than engages 2 teeth on the cutter. The cutter diameter that you will use is more determined by what the mill can cope with in terms of power ,speed and rigidity. I've just been profiling 2 steel plates 6mm thick, stacked on top of each other (12mm total thickness) so that they came out the same sizes and my small mill was happy with 3mm passes (vertical height) and 1mm width of cut at 1000 rpm using a 6mm dia, 3 flute carbide cutter.

Keith

Thread: Locking Levers
05/08/2019 12:47:00

The levers originally linked to are actually made of zinc with stainless steel thread inserts - you have to read the full information, the heading is misleading.

05/08/2019 09:35:18

Vic, use "Bristol locking levers" as a search term on t'internet. Lots of them about in all sorts of materials at all sorts of prices from about £2.50 each and up.

Keith

Thread: Engineers blue alternatives
16/07/2019 11:52:03

Seems to me that folk here are confusing two totally different products. One "engineers blue" or "layout blue", which dries to a film that them can be scribed through so that layout marks show up, and "micrometer blue" which is a greasy blue paste, doesn't dry as far as I know but remains as a greasy blue film, and which is used to determine fits between mating surfaces and in scraping. The latter would be of no use for marking out as it will rub off very easily (if messily), while the layout blue (or felt tip pen) can be used to find interference between parts as well as used for marking out.

Thread: Dickson type T00 toolholders
25/06/2019 09:16:16
Posted by Terry olds on 25/06/2019 08:53:16:

does this help

Name:

Lynam Engineering Ltd

Office Address:

Leofric House Binley Road CV3 1JN Coventry

As there was a winding up order made on 03/04/19 I don't think you'll have much success in trying to contact them.

Thread: Why a round bed?
10/06/2019 15:10:02

I find that I use insert tooling quite a bit on my Drummond roundbed, so don't dismiss it too readily, and yes they are HEAVY. A bare roundbed ie just the lathe without drip tray, motor or stand is about 50kg, definitely not one for carrying upstairs single handed. If you look at the long bed version (an extra foot in length) then the drip tray for that alone is well above any weight you want to carry.

Thread: Boxford AUD needing a new Motor
30/05/2019 10:35:30

Pete just do an internet search for "V" belt pulley suppliers, dozens of them about, all selling pulleys off the shelf. Most these days are designed for use with taper lock hubs which you select to suit the motor shaft.

Thread: Questions: Myford ML 10
31/01/2019 18:47:35

"Single tooth dog clutch" is the important point of definition Mick

Yes but the clutch needs to be at the input end of the screw-cutting gear chain not at the output end to the lead screw.

Thread: Drummond parts
30/01/2019 14:47:21

Ian, yes there is, the M type is a well respected lathe. You might do better to join the Yahoo Drummond and users group as folk on there are always looking for bits to keep their machines running.

Keith

Thread: Copper tube wall thickness & pressure withstood.
12/01/2019 15:43:58

If you download the publication in this https://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/copper_tube_handbook.pdf it will probably give you all the information that you need as well as a load more that you didn't know that you wanted.

Thread: Reverse Sewing Machine Motor?
10/01/2019 17:40:39

Most likely NOT reversible from experience. The motor that I bought in the last 3 years or so has offset brushes so is optimised for single direction operation. Also to get at the connections for the brushes or the coil would have needed some serious surgery to moulded plastic parts. The motors are sold as unidirectional but you can get either clockwise or anti clockwise versions. I sourced my motor from a sewing machine and spares supplier via EBay and bought the uprated (100 watt) version rather than the normal 60/70 watt type.

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
08/01/2019 12:39:22

Just a thought after reading this thread that might help Derek.

As you've now got to machine a liner from scratch, would it be feasible to machine the cylinder casting right through at the bore of the designed annular space, and then machine the liner with ends that fit the larger bore but with the centre part waisted down a bit to make the annular steam space. Having a uniform bore through the cylinder casting would be easier than trying to machine the recess and machining the liner od down locally is just straightforward turning.

Thread: Nylon for axle boxes ?
06/01/2019 14:45:13

Pete the data in the spring table gives you the following.

OD - simply the outside diameter of the wound spring, the Free Length is the overall length (or height if it's vertical) of the wound spring just sitting there with no load on it. The Max solid length is the length of the fully compressed spring with all it coils touching - "coli bound". It won't get any shorter and it won't fit into a smaller space. The Lb/in is the "spring rate" ie how much load you'd have to apply to shorten the spring by 1 inch. So the "load for full compression" is the maximum load that any of those springs will support when JUST fully compressed. Taking the first line the difference between the free length and the max solid length is 0.75-0.3 inch or 0.45 inch. Now the spring rate in 21 lbs/in so 0.45 x 21lbs give you the 9.45 lbs that the spring will need for full compression - and still be a spring. If you loaded that particular spring up beyond 9.45lbs it would still support that load but would in effect be a solid tube with no spring in it until the load dropped below the 9.45lbs at which point it would start to extend again.

From that table you can work out what length any of those springs would be at a given load and then you can see which of them will fit your application or conversely how much room you need to allow in order to be able to fit springs.

Another point to bear in mind is that for springs used in parallel (side by side) you add the individual spring rates to get the overall rate, for springs used in series (end to end) things get more complicated and you have to use

(R1 x R2)/(R1+R2) to get the effective rate where R1 and R2 are the spring rates of the separate springs. The overall effect of springs in series is that the net spring rate is lower than that of either of the individual springs

Keith

Thread: Rocket design
05/01/2019 10:43:45

Fizzy if you do a google search on "Stephenson's Rocket, history" you should find a Wikipedia page about the Rocket. Part way down is a heading "modifications". According to "The Engineer" publication at that time, 12 months after the Rainhill trials Rocket had been modified so much that it looked like a different locomotive - with near horizontal cylinders.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest