By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Long

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Long has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: drivetrain ratios
10/10/2020 15:39:03

24dp change gears do come up from time to time on EBay, I've bought a number from that source. I think Exe lathes might have used them, but stand to be corrected on that. The gears that I've purchased have has a 7/16 in. bore, but that is pretty easy enough to change.

As Jason says above, 1MOD (MOD1) are readily available and very similar diameter to 24dp, but won't run meshed with them. As well as being available for the various mini lathes they are also available from other sources, particularly suppliers that sell parts for home build robots. One supplier that I've done business with and been happy with their products is Technobots, but I'm sure that there are many more, try checking with bearing suppliers as they usually do other drive train products as well.

Thread: 5BA Threads
24/09/2020 22:31:46
Posted by Martin Kyte on 24/09/2020 22:20:03:

Someone is now going to astonish me with a supplier no doubt.

Yes, Cromwell Tools have them in their catalogue, you might be a bit shocked at how much they cost though.

Thread: Best way to keep nuts tight (ha ha)
03/09/2020 17:14:11

What about using nyloc nuts the friction from the nylon insert should stop them moving but still allow easy spanner adjustment. Cheap as chips and easily replaced if they do start to move by themselves

Thread: Should and what with should Sherline threads be lubricated?
01/09/2020 15:02:32
Posted by Chris TickTock on 01/09/2020 14:44:40:What the name for that force is maybe someone can put me right?

Chris

Inertia

Thread: Can anyone identify this tool please
26/08/2020 14:07:42

It looks like an aid to centring a bar in a 4 jaw chuck. A rod like a scriber would be held offset in the collet so that the short end could engage a centre pop in the end of the work and the other end left to "waggle" around in space. Then as the work is centred in the chuck so the the centre pop runs true the "waggle" at the free end reduces. The offset / unequal projections is to give you a magnified indication of the centre pop run out. Pre dates the ready availability of cheap dti's etc and could be made up by the machinist himself. would also be a good exercise for an apprentice to make up as part of building up a tool kit.

Thread: Mystery Inspection Item
15/08/2020 13:52:34

Why not try e-mailing the Mahr UK office in Milton Keynes and ask them what it is? -info@mahruk.com

Thread: Large left hand tap
13/08/2020 19:10:33

Bill - I'm looking at designing some grinding wheels hubs myself at the moment ,and I'm using the William Sopko catalogue (or catalog as it's an Americam firm) for inspiration. They list some hubs suitable for reversing applications. Their method is to thread the wheel retaining collar either right or left hand according, presumably, to it's normal running direction, but them they drill and tap radially into the edge of the retaining collar and fit a couple of nylon tipped grub screws. They can be nipped up to lock the retaining collar against unscrewing in "reverse" rotation. For routine "reverse" running you might want to fit more grub screws as "belt and braces", but it could mean that you can use a normal RH tap at a much more sensible cost than the LH version. If you follow this link it will take you to the Sopko website and the reversible hubs.

webpage www.wmsopko.com/sopko_04_22_28_30_44_50.htm

Keith

Thread: Myford Mod
07/08/2020 00:35:46

Quick retract for screw-cutting as in GHT's Model Engineers Workshop Manual

Thread: Change chuck on a seig c0?
31/07/2020 11:31:50

Stewart I suggest that you follow this link to the manual which you can download.

Thread: ER32 Spin indexer - tightening and loosening the collet nut
27/07/2020 23:25:35

Bill-talk to the lads at ArcEuro, they've got the 4 point spanners for both ER32 and ER40 listed.

Thread: Boxford model A gears
16/07/2020 23:40:26
Posted by not done it yet on 16/07/2020 23:31:00:

.........Drummond, amongst others, used 16DP with 14.5 PA change wheels.

No, Drummond used 14DP with 14.5 deg PA.

Thread: Buying first lathe
08/07/2020 14:42:08

Jacob, from what I can see in your pictures that lathe isn't a ML4 or any other sort of true Myford lathe but it looks VERY much like a Drummond "M" Type - the knock off bar along the front is a bit of a give away as I believe they were never fitted to Myford designed lathes but very much a Drummond feature. Where you may be getting confused is that during World War 2 Myford made Drummond M Type lathes under licence at first but later the rights to the design were assigned to Myford by Drummond. So you can have :

1.a Drummond M type completely manufactured by Drummond

2. a Drummond M type assembled by Myford from parts that were transferred to Myford fromDrummond

3. a Drummond/Myford M type assembled from parts made by Myford to Drummond designs

or finally

4. A Myford manufactured lathe built to the Drummond M type design but incorporating modifications introduced by Myford.

About the only way to check that is to find the serial number on the bed (tail-stock end) and check that with the files on the Drummond lathes io group.

Yes the end of the spindle is damaged, the thread should be at least twice as long as that.

So long as the important parts of the lathe are in good order then you should have a very competent machine when you get it set up, they have a very good reputation.

Thread: Inserted cross slide feed nuts
03/07/2020 17:04:09
Posted by Andy Carlson on 02/07/2020 22:22:07:

This is definitely a learning experience...

I also discovered that I'd made a howling error. Can you spot it?

p1070498.jpg

Possibly getting right and left hand mixed up?

Thread: Liquid shim (or similar)
24/06/2020 21:49:30

Some of the metal filled epoxies by the likes of Devcon sound to be what you're after- but they won't be cheap.

Thread: Pulley Sizes For An X2 Clone Conversion
22/06/2020 12:38:54

William, look at the page in your link, there are 3 boxes on the right hand side, "Description", "Technical" and "Reviews". Click on the technical box and it tells you the minimum pulley pcd there. Also you can down load the full Optibelt catalogue from www.optibelt.com  which will give you all the information that you need - as well as a load that you don't!

Edited By Keith Long on 22/06/2020 12:40:35

Thread: M Type Apron Direction
21/06/2020 11:23:55

Dave - assuming that your M type is the same as mine then the hand wheel is secured by a through taper pin. Some careful cleaning and light filing might expose the end of the pin opposite the bit that you've found. From memory it's quite a small diameter pin 3/32in. or thereabouts comes to mind. It should just "tap" out but could be tight if it hasn't been moved since the lathe was built.

Thread: Hello I am from Aylesbury
08/06/2020 09:49:24

Hi Jerry - on my round bed I made sure that the bolt that secures the bed into the head stock is done up properly, but I leave the bolt that secures the bed to the tail support loose so that the bed can find it's own location in the tail support. Then just put hold down bolts through the 4 feet. Not had a problem with that arrangement even though the lathe is on a wheeled cabinet on an uneven floor. So long as the bed retains its relationship to the headstock the rest can float a little. Your are unlikely to able to induce twist in a 3 inch diameter cast iron cylinder without a lot of effort!

Thread: Hello from West Sussex, looking for ID for my first lathe
01/06/2020 10:34:37
Posted by JAMES HUGGINS on 01/06/2020 05:55:43:

When you say drummond round bed is that the one with the big tubular radial arm looking bed?

Yes, the lathe with the cylindrical cast iron bed.

31/05/2020 23:44:52

James,3/4in. x10tpi (3/4 in.BSW) is the same nose thread used on the Drummond round bed lathes,so by keeping a look out on EBay and other sales site you might well be able to pick up chucks and faceplates that will fit straight onto your lathe without having to do any machining or modifying.

Thread: Repair advice, please!
28/05/2020 14:12:33

Bill, pm sent.

Keith

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest