By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gib on abwood
02/05/2019 16:10:17

Just checked my vice and the pin is 3/16 diameter.

Thread: ST governour
01/05/2019 11:30:26

Why not screwcut it almost to size and then use the die to finish to size.

Thread: Gib on abwood
30/04/2019 22:12:23

Peter F if memory serves me correctly the zeroing pin is parallel, it is just a plain reamed hole.

Thread: Poor finish using indexable lathe tools on steel
15/04/2019 22:16:30

Could also try a drop of coolant or neat cutting oil

Thread: Copper for boiler construction
15/04/2019 10:59:21

Forgot to say that the good thing about c of c is full traceability right back to the foundry that made the material so it can be tracked to a large stockholder who sold some on to a smaller stockholder who sold it to the bloke you buy it from, traceability provides countless jobs across various industries and is essential fo medical and aerospace companies, but not for model engineers!

15/04/2019 10:44:18

Paul M, a receipt only proves that you paid for it, a Certificate of Conformity states what material and what spec it is. My understanding of boiler regs is that you do not need certificates of conformity for any copper boiler only for steel boilers, a few boiler inspectors go over and above the regulations, which is wrong, we have a book of rules and they should be strictly adhered to. Totally agree with Phil H, it will be a minefield for our suppliers providing traceability of materials, imagine purchasing a large sheet of copper, it arrives from supplier with a c of c, you have to uniquely identify the material and link it to that c of c and every time you cut a piece off for a customer you have to provide a photocopy of the original c of c to the customer - you, and you would then have to do the same in your workshop, no good just chucking that bit of copper in the corner with all the other bits, it would need identifying and linking to its certificate, a bl**dy nightmare.

Thread: Moving from Warco WM180 to a Myford ML7B ?
11/04/2019 16:45:36

Totally agree with Mick B1, also a lot depends on the persons abilities turning the handles.

Thread: Moving to Australia - Moving Workshop Machines
11/04/2019 14:40:21

The dealer says very nice condition, obviously he walks around with a white stick and a guide dog, I counted at least 50 drilling’s in the table, that makes it used and abused.

Thread: Machinery Directive and CE marking
08/04/2019 08:57:44

Hopper, excellent video, got me wondering if I can adapt my slotting head for wood splitting!

Thread: Chinese dovetail cutter
07/04/2019 20:50:04

Only one way to find out!

Thread: broken calipers
03/04/2019 15:13:18

Why not buy a pair of best quality Chinese callipers and use the spring from them?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
30/03/2019 17:03:34

Can you crimp or solder on about 1/2 of thin wall brass or copper tube to the end of the Bowden cable to stop the fraying?

Thread: Have your fathers habits rubbed off on you. Just for fun
30/03/2019 12:21:34

My father was also very domineering and opinionated, so was my mother, childhood was total s##t for me, one of twins but brother died at very young age. Ended up working in same factory as the old man but in different department and nobody would speak to me, month trial period was due to end any day so I went into office and told foreman to shove his job where sun don’t shine, his reply was that he was very sorry for way I had been treated but my old man was universally hated in the factory and they dreaded having another one like him, he said that now they knew I was different things would improve, I stayed another 3 years until made redundant,

Thread: Any Recent Progress in Induction Heating ?
27/03/2019 16:42:00

In my last employment, for an aerospace company we had about half a dozen induction heaters made by inductelec ltd, they replaced the old radynes that dated from the seventies. We had to use them for silver soldering stainless steel elbows and ferrules together to form the ends of aircraft ignition leads. We wound close fitting rings of easyflo no2 up to fit on the elbow, fluxed it all with easyflo stainless grade flux and heated it in a close fitting coil for about 15 seconds and that was it, job done, lovely penetration all through the joint, another job they were used for was melting the glass preforms used in the tips of aircraft igniters, this process took around three minutes in a jig which applied pressure to the components so that they were forced down into the semi molten glass. I used the induction heater and their silver solder to make up pipework for my loco and it made a great job of soldering on nipples but I would hesitate to use it on a boiler, the heat is far too intense and localised, but great for fitting bearings etc

Thread: Beware new engine project!
11/03/2019 20:09:03

RMA The original company were ok, trouble came when they went bust and were bought by this present lot who know nowt about model engineering, if I recall correctly the company that bought them out was a tow bar fitting business, they don’t have a clue about engineering, only thing they are any good at is charging top dollar. Apologies for my earlier post, experience should read expensive, I hate this predictive text!

11/03/2019 17:17:46

They have got us all by the bol***ks, either we buy their very experience and/or incorrect castings or we go without. Trouble is that a lot of these castings are exclusive to one company, makes it impossible to go elsewhere.

Thread: Line boring question
08/03/2019 11:00:28

Would have thought 11-12 mm dia would be adequate over that length.

Thread: Precision division plates
06/03/2019 14:24:51

Mike Poole, stack the balls on top of each other and you have got the basis of the Microball height gauge, if you could fit 36 into a groove as you describe you would have a very accurate ten degrees between them.

06/03/2019 13:14:50

I suppose if you can’t get a sunny day you could use the moon at night.

Thread: Holbrook CB8
27/02/2019 09:27:11

Vic Newley, you have a PM

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
LMES
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest