By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Phoenix Locos
09/01/2022 19:36:33

Phoenix were certainly trading just before Xmas as I emailed them and got a quick reply.

Thread: Steam raising blower
09/01/2022 19:34:19

Blackgates sell steam raising blowers, I think the last ones they had were ex military things and they would take up to 24 volts.

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
29/12/2021 18:37:08

Driving nowadays is a chore, I do it because I need to go somewhere and going by car is still the easiest method of getting there, I also still tow a caravan. I intend to carry on driving as long as I possibly can but due to a dodgy left knee I now drive an automatic.

Thread: AMBSC code
29/12/2021 16:28:44

Certainly looks that way Duncan, and if your memory is anything like mine by the time it arrives you will have forgotten what you wanted it for.

Thread: A Merry Christmas to All
25/12/2021 10:37:37

A very happy Christmas to everybody, lets all hope for a far better 2022. Hope Santa bought you all the workshop goodies you asked for.

Thread: Lathe tool set
18/12/2021 19:56:50

I would have recommended JB Cutting tools but I note that they have decided to stop trading until the spring so I would look at Glanze tools stocked by Chronos and also look at what ARC Eurotrade have to offer.

Thread: Sets of parallels
14/12/2021 18:26:33
Posted by Bill Phinn on 14/12/2021 13:10:41:

There is a 100mm-long twenty-pair set floating around out there. Arceurotrade and Amadeal among others sell, or at least sold, them. They may not necessarily be of the same quality at different suppliers.

They were the only set I used for a while, and often I obtained the height I wanted by doubling up parallels. As long as you seat the parallels and work carefully, I can't see any reason why placing parallels on top of one another to obtain a target height should be regarded as bad practice. One good feature of the set is the variation in thickness - something that, inexplicably, isn't very common with sets of parallels.

The spec. of the 20 pair set is as follows:

2mm width (5, 10, 15 & 20mm height)
3mm width (6, 11, 16 & 21mm height)
4mm width (7, 12, 17 & 22mm height)
5mm width ( 8, 13, 18 & 23mm height)
6mm width (9, 14, 19 & 24mm height)

Warco are selling a set like this, see my earlier post, at about £75

14/12/2021 08:18:24

Warco do a nice set that are 100mm long and range from 5mm to 25mm high in various thicknesses.

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
13/12/2021 22:19:21

Looking very impressive.

Thread: Which graduating tool?
09/12/2021 15:06:58

I made the Hemmingway Fallows design quite a few years ago and although it has only been used half a dozen times it does all that is needed. I don’t know of any other designs available.

Thread: Horizontal Milling
08/12/2021 10:57:45

Horizontal mills are a bit out of fashion nowadays so not much gets written about them, what you want are books on old machining processes and set ups , there is a book dealer who deals in these sort of books but due to silly rules on this site I don’t know if I can mention his name. I will send it to you in a PM

Thread: Silver solder resist
07/12/2021 13:24:16

When I was working we used to use a Nikrobraz stop off pen, very similar to a felt tip pen, it deposited a very light green liquid a bit thinner than Tippex on to the work, we have were using it in a vacuum furnace and it worked perfectly every time. Just need now to find someone who sells the pens in small quantities.

07/12/2021 08:38:23

+1 for Tippex, a lead pencil also works fairly well.

Thread: Boiler fittings
06/12/2021 13:18:25

A finger full of copperslip would probably stop the stainless seizing.

Thread: Horizontal mill arbor
05/12/2021 09:57:45

Some have a keyway some don’t, I have a small horizontal mill with a plain arbor and never had any problems. To be honest I doubt you will have enough horsepower available to need to key a cutter, I certainly haven’t.

Thread: New Micrometers
30/11/2021 19:21:09

If you go for Mitutoyo you will not be disappointed, you will also pay top dollar for it, it all depends on how much you are going to use it, personally the older I get the harder it becomes to justify top quality equipment, there just isn’t long enough left to get my money’s worth out of it. I certainly wouldn’t go for a digital one, the ones I have used were heavy and not that reliable although things may have changed in the time since I last used them in the day job.

Thread: Over 70 Driving Licence Renewal
30/11/2021 19:08:36

I am about 18 months away from being 70, if I understand this correctly I will loose some categories on my new licence. I at present enjoy caravanning so obviously tow a caravan, will I loose any entitlement to do this. As for proof of identity I find this very hard to comply with, passport expired about ten years ago and as I have no desire to travel abroad anymore plus I can no longer afford the travel insurance I don’t see the point in paying for a current passport. My driving license is an old green paper one, no photo on it the only photo Id I have is my buss pass. I find it very difficult proving who I am to banks and building societies etc.

Thread: Advice on building a Kennions 'Tina' ?
27/11/2021 11:53:38

Built one many years ago before they called it Tina. Seem to remember that there were problems with position of water pump and the cylinder casting was horrible to machine, full of tiny holes like an Aero chocolate bar, I had to bore it oversize to get a decent bore finish, apart from that I was pleased with it.

Thread: Boiler internal pipework
25/11/2021 08:29:15

Shouldn’t really speak ill of the dead but Don Young was a draughtsman, he drew things that were easy to draw and difficult to make. I would go with short pipes to top of firebox.

Thread: Compressor
24/11/2021 13:33:22

If you want really quiet take a look at the Bambi range, they are excellent but don’t come cheaply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest