By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thermic Syphon
15/08/2018 13:05:58

Seems to me that some boiler inspectors are making their own rules up. Boilers should be inspected exactly to the requirements of the Rule book. If the rules state no soft solder, fine, you cannot use it, but if nothing is mentioned about it you should be OK to use it. Imagine what our MOT tests would be like if testers deviated from the rules.

Thread: Are you a Man or a Mouse When Milling?
07/08/2018 11:57:16

During my working life I worked in many sub contract shops and if swarf was not coming off blue you were not making time on the job and not making bonus. Consequently machines and cutters were pushed to the limit, two or three cutters per day were blunted and were thrown in the regrind box and a cutter grinder was employed full time to sharpen them. The machines were mostly Bridgeport’s, the heads had to be re clocked almost daily because they moved no matter how tight the bolts were done up.

In my own workshop I have to buy my own machines and tooling and so they are treated with respect. Swarf is never blue and much smaller cuts are taken both on mill and lathe and I can actually enjoy the machining operations, where does that put me on man or mouse scale?

Thread: Moped Restoration -NSU Quickly/Chinese scooter- constant rebuilds
31/07/2018 11:33:28

I started riding a thing called a Berini M22, apparently they were sold by Curry’s, this was back in the early seventies. It had two gears and a back pedalling brake. My father slung it in a skip along with a BSA winged wheel and a couple of cyclemasters.

Thread: Songs for the Workshop
26/07/2018 22:12:17

Living on a prayer, John Bon Jovi

Thread: Shingle bells
17/07/2018 19:04:41

This is a model engineering forum not a health forum. I am sick of reading about your health issues, I manage to keep my health issues private and I wish you all would.

Thread: Surface Grinder, luxury or essential?
05/07/2018 19:53:16

Larry phelan 1, I would regard a tool and cutter grinder as an absolute essential, how are you going to sharpen your first blunt end mill or slot drill? Equipped with a decent three way vice all sorts of turning tool shapes can be accurately produced, correctly profiled screwcutting tools can be ground and with a few attachments taps can be sharpened, milling cutters can be radiused, no need to ever have to purchase a ball nosed cutter, just get an old slot drill and grind your own, same thing with step drills, flat bottom drills etc. Something like a Clarkson is worth its weight in gold.

05/07/2018 13:12:26

All depends upon what you make in your workshop. I imagine you could build a loco or traction engine without needing surface grinding facilities, I must admit to owning one, and use it quite a lot.

Thread: accuracy of silver steel
03/07/2018 12:01:51

Perhaps the OP ought to find a precision grinding shop and get them to grind a couple of lengths down for him, if done between centres it should be truly round, then he can get the accuracy he requires, at a price!

Thread: Filing Cast Iron
28/06/2018 08:35:29

In my very humble opinion a much better way to clean a file is to use a piece of brass or a fine brass wire brush.

Thread: Groz metal Bender
18/06/2018 17:09:44

Totally agree with Jeff Dayman.

Thread: AMOLCO milling attachment
12/06/2018 11:45:28

I would make a brass pad, if you fit a longer screw you will bruise the column, just my two pennyworth.

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 08/07/2018 22:48:41

Thread: How to apply etch primer without damaging the internals of an airbrush?
04/06/2018 15:00:43

A few of us were discussing this at a recent club night and the general consensus was to use a cheap airbrush for acid etch primer. I use an old Badger 200 for etch primer.

Thread: A Necessary Extravagance
04/05/2018 15:03:01

Rather than complain on here which is a Model Engineering forum, I suggest you would all be better complaining to your elected representatives in government.

Thread: Roller Clutch Lubricator Drive
26/04/2018 16:58:59

Nothing wrong with roller clutch drive lubricators, the tolerance required taken care of by using silver steel, hardened if possible.

Thread: Making spokes into spokes
26/04/2018 16:51:12

Not only O gauge wheels done that way, I have got 3.5 gauge wheels with solid backs, I think they are for Don Young’s Derby 4F, about 4” diameter, can’t remember if I got them from Reeves or Blackgates. One day I might get round to machining them.

Thread: Department of Work and Pensions
20/04/2018 11:28:43

I will be very glad to get to 80 years old and have enough of my faculties left to be able to moan about these things.

Thread: Issue 4584
18/04/2018 10:25:05

Just been into town and got a copy in WH Smith, they still have a couple on the shelf. If this another lost mailbag I hope someone holds Royal Mail to account for it, it was not long ago that it last happened.

16/04/2018 19:45:39

Another one in North Hampshire still waiting for 4584. RG postcode.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
05/04/2018 10:42:24

Nice one Roderick, my one is coming along slowly, very slowly

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
30/03/2018 13:52:52

Swarf,mostly, you are probably right, they wanted all the old people out to fill the company with youngsters who had a couple of kids and a large mortgage so they could intimidate them. I know for a fact that redundancy would never have been an option.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest