By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model trains stolen - Kent
17/02/2019 19:05:17

Got a tracker built in the bodywork of our caravan, supplied as standard by the manufacturers, only problem is the battery, only got three to four years life and then you have a useless tracker. I stamp my National Insurance number in a few places on locos etc, better than postcodes because number is yours until you snuff it

Thread: MODEL ENGINEER COMPETITION
17/02/2019 15:33:06

Are we to assume that as this competition is being staged at Doncaster there will be no Brooklands exhibition this year?

Thread: Quorn Castings
11/02/2019 14:06:00

John Haine, can the Worden or Acute sharpen the side flutes on milling cutters?

11/02/2019 14:00:26

John Haine, can the Worden or Acute sharpen the side flutes on milling cutters?

Thread: Myford Gearbox drain seal washer
08/02/2019 21:54:28

Mike, is that a 5C collet chuck on the Myford? If so could I enquire where you purchased it from as I have a box of collets and no chuck and have been told that a collet chuck is too heavy for a myford

Thread: Vertex BS-0 Dividing Head 1-1/8 BSW Myford Spindle Nose
08/02/2019 19:43:36

I purchased a similar BS-0 dividing head about ten years ago, I cannot remember who supplied it but it is identical to yours so they have been supplied with that spindle nose for quite a few years. I feel that they should be advertised as similar to Myford because it is most certainly not a Myford spindle nose. I have used Myford chucks without any problem but have not heaved them up very tight because of the minimal engagement. I also remember that the internal taper was described as brown and sharpe taper, not morse but don’t know how true this is, I have never used a centre in the head itself. I have recently fitted a chuck to the supplied thin backplate so I now have a dedicated for the head, I made a thin plastic washer and put that on the Myford lathe spindle and then screwed the chuck backplate up tight against it, not ideal but good enough to machine the chuck register.

Thread: This weeks mystery item!
20/01/2019 22:44:21

Hi Martin, I think you have a couple of bits missing, will dig my one out tomorrow and try and get a photo.

20/01/2019 21:35:28

Congratulations! You have got yourself a Clarkson radius grinding attachment and the brass plate is an angle gauge for clearance angles on cutter flutes.

Thread: Not sure what I have here!
10/01/2019 12:22:07

Looking at the second picture bottom right hand corner there appears to be two Baker valve sets and so I would say that it is LBSCs PV Baker loco. Castings etc still available from Reeves

Thread: Drill Doctor 750SP
05/01/2019 13:32:51

Must be the time of year, all I have done so far this year is to tidy up the workshop, a couple of bootfulls ready to go to the dump and only half way round the workshop, still got the locos to clean up after the New Year’s Day run but so much stuff on benches being sorted there’s nowhere to put the engines!

Thread: Tool and Cutter Grinder
03/12/2018 19:58:08

Bob, yes diamond for tungsten carbide and CBN for HSS, the wheels can be dressed, perhaps you need a coarser diamond wheel?

Thread: Blackening steel parts
28/11/2018 17:03:12

Same as Roderick, Blackgates or EKP supplies sell them,smallest kit under twenty quid. My kit still going strong after 5 years of regular use.

Thread: Small Scale CNC work required, any takers?
14/11/2018 21:51:13

Martin, if you take your car into a garage for a service you pay upwards of £100 per hour, I imagine a small engineering business would be charging roughly the same, so question is how long to make them? In my opinion at least 20 hours work so ball park figure £2000. Most probably plus VAT.

Thread: Solution found to the World's biggest problem . . .
13/11/2018 20:29:54

Delighted to say that I have a hedgehog hibernating in the garden and a family of newts in the pond and for the last five years starlings have nested in the garage roof.

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
28/10/2018 09:14:16

I have been using Dolphin CAD/CAM for many years and am very pleased with it. I find the CAD a bit basic and tend to do all my drawings in Autocad 2006 and then import them into Dolphin. The only thing I cannot do with Dolphin is tabs for machining sheet metal components so I have recently purchased Vectric Cut2D which has a tabs feature that allows you to position the tabs very easily and also define the type of tab required for the job.

Thread: Quality/Durability of milling cutters
17/10/2018 16:33:11

I would rate Clarkson above Dormer / Presto, based on 50 years experience of using their products.

Thread: 5 inch Scamp.
11/10/2018 20:36:23

My opinion for what it’s worth is that Scamp would be an ideal loco for a beginner, EIM done a construction series for it and also Gemma, another five inch gauge 0-4-0 by the same designer David Malcolm. If I remember correctly Station Road Steam built a batch a few years ago and there are a few pictures in their archive. The machinery you have access to should be more than adequate to build it.

Thread: Jones & Shipman surface grinder drive unit
03/10/2018 14:43:39

Looks like someone has had a great time belting the guts out of the locking collars. Will have a look in loft to see if I still have J&S service manuals, company I used to work for serviced 540s and fitted diaform attachments to them.

Thread: Identity of Glow Engine.
24/09/2018 17:27:59

Looks like an Irvine carb, looking at prop driver could it be a home made job?

Thread: Problems with a breadmaker
23/09/2018 13:33:30

The long suffering ( her indoors) has had a Panasonic bread maker for at least 15 years. Started off with yeast sachets but got variable results, ever since using packet all in one mixes results have been very consistent, machine has one heating element in base and bread rises equally end to end.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest