By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Superheaters in the Firebox
24/06/2019 12:25:02

If firebox is about 10 inches long why not make them protrude about 5 inches?

Thread: Horizontal engine
24/06/2019 12:21:25

+1 looking forward to the series, will certainly make all of JasonB engines if they are published.

Thread: Is it bad practice to lock my Myford lathe using the slow speed lever
24/06/2019 10:14:04

John, the sliding pin at LH end of headstock is standard on normal size super 7 and ML7R machines.

24/06/2019 09:35:46

I always use the proper spindle lock to remove chucks and keep a length of 1/2 inch square brass handy which goes between the chuck jaws, I thump that instead of hitting chuck key.

Thread: Solid carbide end mills
24/06/2019 09:29:38

I have used 2mm and 3mm solid carbide cutters with great success for cutting ports, I obtained my cutters from Arc Eurotrade and was pleased with both the quality and speed of delivery, no connection to company just a very satisfied customer.

Thread: Total newbie question - Collet identification
22/06/2019 08:17:44

Agree with John Haine, that is Taig / Peatol available from Peatol or MEDW as they are used on the CNC micromill. I think the largest size is 1/4 dia.

Thread: Drawing errors for LBSC Maisie
10/06/2019 11:38:45

Seem to remember something about boiler backhead and reverser position, agree about boiler, go for non combustion chamber version.

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
07/06/2019 11:47:38

Maybe MEW should continue the Alibre Atom series with a series of how to draw a two throw crankshaft and perhaps an expansion link and also a cylinder block with ports and passages in, this would be of more practical use to a model engineer representing things he will be interested in making, just my 2p worth.

Thread: Ballscrews?
30/05/2019 10:11:24

NDIY totally agree with you, let him do it his own way because he knows best. Loved his earlier comment about all the toolmakers he knew who could make a simple job difficult, shows he knows b***er all about engineering. Fact of life that if you wish to lift 300kg off the ground the lift must be strong and therefore heavy enough to support the weight, I have a 300kg lifting table to move my locos and the table is heavy, I cannot pick it up, but if our friend thinks he can make one that weighs next to nothing best of luck to him, I shall not post any more on this subject.

Thread: Rusty Clock Springs
29/05/2019 20:04:50

Dick, whatever you do please be very careful, there is a lot of stored energy in clock springs and can do you serious harm.

Thread: Ballscrews?
29/05/2019 16:09:02

Being an ex toolmaker and therefore highly skilled at making the easy difficult, would it not be better to get the floor strengthened rather than faff about with with 46 x M8 feet and trying to make a scissor lift or something like that, that weighs next to nothing?

Thread: Loco hand pump casting from Reeves
20/05/2019 16:42:37

Richard, there are two very similar castings, one is a tender hand pump the other is an axle pump. The difference is the axle pump has an oval end for a stuffing box and no mounting feet, what you have are tender hand pump castings that seem to be standard to Don Young designs, I have both types of castings for use on Dons Rail Motor 2 Nealeb, what you have is top, tender hand pump casting, bottom, regulator casting but absolutely no idea what loco it’s intended for. Would post pics but not sure how to, if you want a pic send a PM and I will email you

Thread: stamford show vandals
19/05/2019 16:19:30

I am lost for words, well printable words. The bas***ds should should be whipped and ideally then castrated.

Thread: Upside down reverse threading
14/05/2019 12:37:01

Ian, totally agree with you, clue is in the name Drill Chuck. Seems that people don’t want to believe lathe chucks unscrew when run in reverse and drill chucks aren’t to be used for milling, only way for them to discover these basic truths is to have an accident and either scrap the job or Injure themselves.

Thread: Form Tool Sharpening
10/05/2019 08:57:33

Bit of brass or Ali held in pillar drill chuck and run slowly with a finger full of valve grinding paste and then present the tool at a slight angle. In a couple of minutes you will have a narrow band finely ground, a quick stone on the top and the jobs done.

Thread: Fobco Star Modifications
09/05/2019 17:28:30

I have got a floor standing fobco star and it doesn’t have any wind up mechanism, so not essential to have.

Thread: Shackerstone - Battlefield Line - Outside storage
07/05/2019 11:42:12

They should be ashamed of themselves, a pot of grease and a few tarpaulins don’t cost that much.

Thread: 6" EME rotary table
03/05/2019 19:17:38

EME I think is Elliott Machine Equipment, good quality British tooling dating from late seventies to early eighties. A finger full of Castrol LM grease on worm and wheel will do no harm at all.

Thread: 1959 Nsu quickly
03/05/2019 09:06:49

Late sixties to early seventies I had a Berini M22 along with a BSA winged wheel and a couple of cyclemaster, when I got married and left home the old man, who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing took them all up the tip.

Thread: Gib on abwood
02/05/2019 16:10:17

Just checked my vice and the pin is 3/16 diameter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest