By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Do you finish every project before moving on ...
08/01/2016 16:59:48

Just finished a 0-4-0 Gemma, got 2x Sweet peas as air chassis, a Rob Roy rolling chassis and 3/4 done Don Young Marie E, plus a couple of stationary engines and Jan Ridders petrol engines, so yes I suppose I have a few bits on the go at once. Great thing is that while say 4 jaw chuck is on the lathe bits for all projects requiring that chuck are done at once, saving set up time, also while making boiler fittings I can make them all in one go. Thats my logic anyhow.

Thread: Myford VM-B mill
04/01/2016 15:01:22

Exactly the same problem with mine, happened last summer. I have done without it up until now and wonder if I really need to repair it or just carry on with it as it is.

Thread: Acute (a cute?) tool sharpening system
23/12/2015 11:52:19

Hi Bob,

I am a couple of hundred miles south down in Hampshire. Have you got a phone number or website address for them. Thanks for the info.

23/12/2015 10:27:48

I bought the book of drawings from Eccentric Engineering at the Harrogate show earlier this year and am slowly working my way through it. As I got drawings only I am using what material is surplus in the workshop and having to adjust sizes accordingly. The table is cut from a piece of 3/16 thick GFS so the clamps have to be adjusted accordingly and the metric stock sizes are rounded up or down to the nearest imperial sizes I have available. A lot of work in making it but very enjoyable, no drawing errors so far, the only problem is finding the small adjustable handles(dont know their proper name) at the moment I have some M6 ones from Axminster at a push they will do but would like a couple of M4 ones, anybody know of any stockists?

Thread: What direction should this forum be taking?
13/11/2015 16:10:19

Agree entirely with Julian Atkins.

Thread: Clarkson Autolock vs ER collets
16/10/2015 20:26:57

Roy M

What you have got sounds like an FC3 adapter. Clarkson made them to fit 5/8 and 16mm collets and also one to fit directly into the small Autolock chuck body

Thread: Arc Euro boring and facing head
22/09/2015 17:19:11

Graham Meek has a design for a boring and facing head in his book Projects for your workshop, available from TEE Publishing. A friend of mine has made one and is very pleased with it. I have a small Wohlhaupter boring and facing head and use it a lot on the Myford when castings are clamped to the cross slide, it does enable a hole to be bored and the end faced square, and chamfered all in one setup.

Thread: Smokebox to Boiler joint
26/08/2015 16:22:44

Julian,

Silicon sealant as in the stuff the local DIY shop sells for sealing the bath etc? I was not sure if it would take the heat but if you recommend it I am sure there is half a tube of it in the shed, left over from domestic duties.

Thanks

Barry

25/08/2015 20:05:11

Thank you Paul and Bob for your replies, I have located a stockist of Heldtite so I will be purchasing some this week.

25/08/2015 12:25:51

Please can I call on you all again for some assistance, I am trying to fit a smokebox to a boiler, the front of the boiler is out of round, as you would expect it to be, by about 15 thou. I am boring the smokebox rear ring to fit the high spots but I will be left with gaps which I assume need to be sealed. I have read lots of construction articles by Evans, Young and LBSC and none cover the fitting and sealing, Jack Buckler in the Sweet Pea book says to bore it a relatively easy fit on the front of the boiler barrel, not a word about any subsequent sealing. How do you all do yours?

Thread: Homeworkshop web site
29/07/2015 08:55:41

Had the same trouble last night with Firefox, just got 403 Forbidden, thought it was my lousy computer. Just tried again and it is still the same.

Thread: which wheel dresser?
23/07/2015 14:41:50

Naughtyboy, any diamond size will do the job, the bigger the diamond the more you will have to pay.

Thread: clarkson tooling and cutter grinder mk 1
16/07/2015 12:26:20

You would most probably be better off buying a copy of the Quorn book, that contains quite a bit of info on actual set ups. As Involute Curve says, all the Clarkson stuff is basically a catalogue.

Thread: Rolling up a smokebox
08/07/2015 16:07:34

Gentlemen, sorry to have been so long in replying, I can however report some success. I have now rolled up two pieces of brass using a set of George Thomas bending rolls and am very pleased with the result. I finally settled on an overall length of 17.395 inches which is 20 thou longer than pi times the mid diameter. Thank you all for your help

Baz

Thread: Help identify milling machine
06/07/2015 20:38:24

Looks very much like an ABENE to me, I think they are Swedish.

Thread: New ideas for tool grinding in the workshop
04/06/2015 16:56:38

Has anybody got any views or comments on the new Acute system from Eccentric Engineering, it was on display at Harrogate but I was too busy buying other bits to get a good look at it. I think it was available as a kit of bits or just drawings

Thread: Rolling up a smokebox
01/06/2015 18:33:17

Gentlemen, I want to roll up a smokebox from 2.5mm (3/32 inch) brass sheet. The outside diameter is 5.625 inches and bore 5.437 inches. What length do I need to cut the material to, is it o/d times Pi or i/d times Pi the difference in the two being .591 or is there some other formula? I only have enough material for one attempt so I cannot cut a test piece and do it by trial and error.

Thread: MYFORD VMB MILLING MACHINE
16/01/2015 15:50:06

The motor is a Brook Hansen D80B duty S1 .75Kw 1400 rev Diag B IP55, Made in EU. details taken from makers plate. I purchased the varispeed package complete from Myford as a plug and play unit

Thread: Preserving a lathe for long-term storage?
29/08/2014 20:52:39

Hi,

I have used Waxoyl, the car underbody protection stuff with great success. It seems to be white spirit based and it kept my trusty old Holbrook in rust free condition for 4 years. It is removed with white spirit. Available in gallon cans (or the metric equivalent) from most high street car accessory shops.

Thread: Aquired a set of carbide gauge blocks
28/08/2014 19:48:43

Simon, congratulations on your set of slips, as Bob H says, white spirit and a bit of kitchen roll should do the job, a drop of petrol would also work. Bandersnatch - you are correct in what you say, but in relation to industry where the slips are used in an inspection department at 20 deg C,and where work is allowed to stabilise at that temperature. We are all working in sheds or garages where temperature can be anywhere between 0 deg C and 30 deg C . I think the precision of any slips, providing they wring together, will exceed any precision a model engineer could ever imagine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest