By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best Milling Machine Ever????
23/02/2020 17:43:58

DSG are not bad, I have worked on quite a few but far prefer Holbrook lathes, models B8 and C10 in particular, as for mills, large one would have to be Huron and for a small mill something like Aciera F3.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
23/02/2020 14:14:19

Oscillating engine with a form of reversing gear?

Thread: Coal being phased out
23/02/2020 12:58:34

JA, not only Black Death etc don’t forget all the wars we used to have where a few million died in each one.

Thread: kennedy hacksaw
23/02/2020 09:46:29

I purchased a brand new Kennedy from AJ Reeves about 25 years ago, it has never cut straight and the dashpot has never worked, I cannot get any tension on the blade so it flexes sideways as it cuts, the dashpot does nothing, no matter how I adjust it, it certainly does not relieve on the return stroke. Can someone please tell me the correct way to install the blade, teeth forward or backward.

Thread: cylinder boring
19/02/2020 19:32:28

Looks good to me, lovely Keats angle plate. Is the lathe a Bantam 1600?

Thread: Miller Machine -
18/02/2020 17:07:59

It is a Warco clone of the Emco FB2. Warco dropped it from their range at least ten years ago.

Thread: Drill sharpeners
18/02/2020 17:03:09

Alexander Smith1 I have a Christen 05-10 and uses the collets you describe, they are still available as are all bits for the Christens, the company you need to google is Anglo Swiss tools, they are based in London. Sit down before you ask the prices though,as with all Swiss stuff they are eye watering expensive!

Thread: Facing off backwards
17/02/2020 12:44:31

Bad practice, absolute rubbish. Nothing at all wrong facing out from the centre, used to do it hundreds of times a day on a CNC lathe, rough face into centre and then after roughing o/d back into centre, face outwards and finish profile, nothing wrong either with back turning, rough along towards chuck as usual but then apply a thou or so deep cut and feed back to tailstock, you are now using an unused edge of tip and will get a good finish.

Thread: ME taps and dies
17/02/2020 12:35:08

Bob, the company you purchased your taps and dies from, would it be the Tap and Die company, if it is I have had a few dies from them that have a lead on both sides. I have also purchased a set of ME dies at a show many years ago that were twisted, it transpires they were originally solid dies but some enterprising soul decided it would be a good idea to make them into split dies so they slit them and ground a chamfer on them for the adjusting screw and all was well, until they removed them from the vice, and they twisted, not a lot but enough to stop them cutting a thread, no matter what I done with them all they would do is just chew up the material. Learnt my lesson, buy cheap, buy twice!

Thread: Grub screws for 16 Colchester chuck
16/02/2020 21:25:59

Old Mart, I don’t suppose there are many lathes with a screwed spindle 16” chuck, I certainly have never seen one, the point is that all the damage has been caused by someone over tightening the jaws, not removing the chuck. Makes you wonder what other abuse the machine has been subjected to.

16/02/2020 16:25:12

Looks like the chuck is fitted to a Colchester lathe so I assume it is a camlock mounting, therefore the damage has been caused purely by over tightening, a couple of foot long extension to the chuck key springs to mind.

Thread: Centec Myford Rodney
16/02/2020 16:15:58

Another vote for selling it, they seem to fetch a decent price.

Thread: First loco steel choice
13/02/2020 12:56:53

Just looked on Kennions site and it looks like round bar is EN1 or EN8 and flats are listed as EN3, angle etc will also be EN3, if it doesn’t say it is most probably EN3, give them a call, they are very friendly and offer a very fast turnaround on orders, I have used them for many years and never had any problems, I suppose I must now state that I am only a customer and have no commercial connection to them at all.

13/02/2020 11:45:18

It is true that you can’t weld EN1 due to the lead content, and is usually sold as round bar, any flat plate is usually EN3 and this is fine for frames and valve links etc. Why not silver solder, much neater than weld.

Thread: Noisy Lathe Gearbox
08/02/2020 15:42:50

No, sawdust goes into the engines sump, supposed to quieten the big ends!

Thread: Linked belt for Myford 7
08/02/2020 12:49:52

I have used a link belt on my Myford from the motor to the countershaft, I was not impressed with it, the belt had to be drum tight before it would transmit power without slipping. Maybe I was doing something wrong if I was can someone please enlighten me.

Thread: Frost steel blacking kit.
08/02/2020 08:35:53

I have used Metalblak cold blacking kits for many years and have never had any problems getting a lovely black finish on steel, the smallest kit is 100ml and is available for about £20 from model engineering suppliers, GLR kennions, EKP supplies and Blackgates, just to name a few.

Thread: milling crankshaft on cnc mill using A axis
04/02/2020 17:46:02

Hi Geoff, crankpin will be barrel shaped due to your milling cutter being hollow ground by a couple of degrees, you could grind milling cutter truly flat across the bottom or I think you can do another pass around the journals but with Y axis offset by just under half the cutter diameter, this should just flatten off the high spots.

Thread: Painting fittings
04/02/2020 14:45:30

Metal to metal contact must be better than metal to paint contact so I would say no to painting. I build complete and then strip down to paint rather than paint as I go, reason is that I don’t seem to get any rust in the workshop, probably has something to do with a dehumidifier running constantly!

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
03/02/2020 22:15:08

I’ve got some G clamps 🗜 like those, i was told that you can measure with them as well.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest