By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boiler maker identification
20/11/2019 15:23:31

Agree with Robert, Reg Chambers of Weymouth.

Thread: What G-code to use?
18/11/2019 08:45:55

Sounds real state of the art, it’s got a 3.5 inch floppy disk drive!

Thread: Metric micrometer what t buy?
14/11/2019 12:33:09

Agree with pgk pgk, a cheap one will be more than accurate enough after all we are not working to tenths of thous.

Thread: S50 valve chest cover is chilled
09/11/2019 22:29:23

Send the casting back, they should replace it.

Thread: Carbon steel taps and dies
02/11/2019 12:55:00

Nothing wrong with carbon steel, will stay sharp for ages if only used on brass, copper and bronze. Once you have used them on steel they will not cut non ferrous as well any more. Needn’t cost a fortune, Tracy tools them singly at a couple of pounds each, many people on here have good things to say about this company. The great advantage of carbon steel is that it is easily machined with a carbide tool so you can modify your taps if required, I have one to modify this afternoon, I want an 1/8 inch diameter pilot on the front, so a simple turning job and a lick on the grinder to back off the edges and jobs done. I THINK union nuts are 32 tpi.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
25/10/2019 15:04:39

All our sets of slips that failed calibration were given to the machine shop where they were mostly used on the lathes as length stops.

Thread: Those little screws for carbide inserts...
25/10/2019 11:10:19

Robin Graham, nothing wrong with Tracy Tools carbon steel taps, I have been buying them for at least 25 years and never had a problem.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
24/10/2019 09:19:08

They were called joe blocks because some sets were made by a company called joehannsen, not sure if I have spelt that correctly though.

Thread: Brass sheet
23/10/2019 22:21:37

Pretty sure GLR will do 24 inch lengths but not on their website, you may have to phone and ask.

Thread: End mill regrinding
22/10/2019 13:57:00

How often do you use the full length of the cutter, not very often, so total waste of time sharpening the diameter, all you are doing is resharpening a fairly sharp cutter. Most model engineers only take silly little cuts so it is the corners that wear therefore a good resharpening of the end will do the job. The cutter end should be hollow ground by 2 degrees to ensure only the tips cut. If you have a spare cutter sharpen the end and then sharpen a five degree angle up the flute for a length of about 5mm, every time you resharpen do the end and side and you have the best of both worlds, sharp end and side, it is also a very economical way of sharpening a cutter, it will not give square corners so rough out with it and change to your best cutter for finishing.

Thread: Holbrook Model B No.8 Lathe
21/10/2019 16:59:58

Don’t think you will have much luck with a casting, I certainly couldn’t find one big enough on the boss dimensions. Best bet is get a slice of steel or cast iron off a bar. Largest chuck you can usefully use on the B8 is five inch diameter. A 1-2 micrometer and bore gauge is all you really need plus ideally a plug tap just for use as a gauge, not for tapping the thread with. When I done mine I done it on the B8 and held the billet in the 4 jaw, screwcutting was easy using the lathes screwcutting stop. Certainly would not dismantle the spindle just for this job, unless you intend totally rebuilding headstock.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
21/10/2019 16:41:41

JasonB, that is the problem, having to attend twice. It cost me eight gallons of diesel to get there and back on Friday, yes I know it’s my choice to drive a gas guzzling Land Rover but I have to have one because I am also a so called Shed Dragger (I tow a caravan), to have to do that journey again just isn’t worth it to exhibit a couple of models. Maybe when / if the Model Engineer magazine decide to do another Brooklands show I might consider it as it is only an hour up the road from me.

Thread: Two weeks wasted
20/10/2019 21:11:48

Don Young, don’t you just love him, I am having great fun, or something like that with his Marie E design. Typical draughtsman, nice drawings but impossible to make or else every dimension you don’t need and not the one you do. No wonder these bl**dy locos take so long to build.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
19/10/2019 17:28:01

Went yesterday with a clubmate and had a very pleasant day, about 1:30 went into the downstairs tent catering and had lunch, standing room only, but not a problem. We both got all the bits and pieces we wanted, got some great help from Solder Connection and CuP Alloys, I agree with Ketan’s comment above that the organisers have done their bit, they certainly filled the place with punters, it’s down to stall holders to bring decent stuff and price it sensibility, then it will sell. There were some very good models on display, the Gatling gun springs to mind, the club stands were good, I cannot really find anything to complain about, left about 4:00 with a couple of bags of coal in the boot, thanks to Signal fuels being there. Will I go next year, yes

Thread: The age old question of varnishing....
19/10/2019 16:27:50

Would very strongly advise using the same manufacturer for the paint and varnish, gloss, satin or matt is up to you.

Thread: Cheap ER collet advice please
14/10/2019 09:35:18

I am sure that it’s been said before but I feel it needs repeating, you get what you pay for, pay next to nowt and you will get rubbish, pay a good price and you will get good stuff, pay top dollar and you get top quality.

Thread: Grinding wheel 'washers'
07/10/2019 22:02:27

Use your favourite cereal packet, makes excellent washers, not convinced that vinyl flooring is suitable though.

Thread: Caravan Insurance
06/10/2019 11:40:07

My caravan, a 2016 Bailey Pegasus is insured with Caravan Guard, they were half the price of the Caravan Club and the Camping and caravanning club for a similar policy.

Thread: Has to be seen to be believed
05/10/2019 11:01:52

What is the significance of his statement he volunteers at Hollycombe Steam Collection?

Thread: Hammer/Drift
01/10/2019 19:10:34

I found one in North Devon many years ago, it was in the window of an antique shop in Coombe Martin, a little seaside village, the shop owner didn’t have a clue what it was and wanted ten quid for it, in as new condition, needless to say money quickly changed hands.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest