By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: If it ain't broke don't fix it - or should I?
19/07/2019 10:06:37

Leave it! If you re machine it you may make it worse, angle wise or finish wise, use it until it needs re machining, which will most probably be ten years time with the amount of use model engineers stuff has.

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 16:00:52

Andrew, I am saddened to hear you are leaving the forum, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your gliding exploits, your pair of traction engines and your CNC and manual machining methods, I think your work is an inspiration to a lot of people on this forum. It is totally wrong to criticise you for using and talking about ex industrial machines, it just proves how narrow minded some of the contributors on this forum are. I wish you all the best with your engineering exploits and thank you for the pleasure you have given me in reading about them. Please consider posting on another forum where people seem to be better mannered.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/07/2019 13:51:21

Nigel Graham 2, I believe the little darlings have been caught but to date have not heard about them being up before the beak.

Thread: Kennions Excellent Service
16/07/2019 15:07:45

Kennions are always my first choice of supplier, service has always been excellent, another excellent supplier is EKP supplies in Devon.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
16/07/2019 10:54:28

I have manual machines and also CNC mills and lathe, I don’t think it really matters how you make a part, the important thing is that you are making something.

Thread: Rounded Torx Screw Removal
16/07/2019 08:40:15

+1 for the Dremel and thin cutting disk, I have got many screws out successfully this way.

Thread: Osborn UK
13/07/2019 21:14:12

Top quality stuff.

Thread: Electric Cars
13/07/2019 08:31:45

Replacing road fuel duty, probably by road tax on the car or a mileage tax and / or taxing electricity, maybe just for charging cars but who knows? They certainly cannot afford to loose the billions of pounds of revenue earned from petrol and diesel.

12/07/2019 21:39:48

What is MSM, google tells me it is a drug useful for Arthritis, must be doing something wrong, silly me.

Thread: Supaburner's for Model & Toy Steam Boilers Explained
12/07/2019 11:23:30

+1 for further details of fibreglass wick

Thread: Electric Cars
11/07/2019 20:35:45

Barnaby, is it anything to do with battery fires or explosions in a crash, If I am right I was always taught charity begins at home and I look forward to a hundred quid to buy some coal stock for the locos😊

11/07/2019 14:44:04

34046, you are correct, I am 66 this year so it will see me out, most probably my daughter as well. I need a large estate to get my locos in plus all the garden rubbish up to the tip, I have yet to see a large electric estate car. Son in law works for a well known central heating boiler manufacturer and his current company car is a Volvo XC60, he is due for a change and has asked for a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, he says the RAV4 has a lot more “ toys” than the Volvo but is not as comfortable for a full days driving, he has only had one for a couple of days test drive so far, so no real experience yet.

11/07/2019 13:45:33

Like Fizzy I tow a caravan and I tow it with a diesel guzzling Land Rover Discovery 3, a V6 2.7 litre engine, I have no intention of going electric, now or any time in the future.

Thread: Genmitsu
09/07/2019 15:03:11

Fizzy what size holes are you drilling?

Thread: Gas Burners?
07/07/2019 15:11:36

After many years of trying expensive weed killers that don’t work I now use my sievert torch with long neck tube, I think it is about 18 inches long and the 2944 burner. This does the job on approx 1200 sq foot of block paving, I try to do it on a calm evening and don’t get problems with it going out, I have tried Wilco weed burners but they take forever.

Thread: Sieg KX1 next step
03/07/2019 11:26:59

All these feed and speed calculators are meant for industry where cycle times are important, they are way out for model engineers.

Thread: broken myford changewheel
30/06/2019 10:57:18

Bought a Clarkson about 15 years ago and done all my cutters on that, ends and flutes, it was a pain swapping setups over so last year purchased one of Arc Euros End mill grinders the EMG20, a superb piece of kit in my opinion, the Clarkson can now stay set up permanently for doing flutes. No connection to Arc, just a satisfied customer.

Thread: Do you use Chinese HSS?
29/06/2019 12:39:11

Having been in industry all my working life I have a very good stock of quality of HSS, all top quality brands and had no need to try the foreign stuff until five years ago, just before I retired. I wanted to make some injector cone reamers and had no stock of 3/16 round HSS so I bought some from Chronos. I cannot remember what I paid for it but it was cheap, I got about a dozen pieces two inches or thereabouts long. To save grinding time I rough turned them on a little Hardinge second op lathe, short bed, no tailstock and basic cross slide, the HSS turned very easily with a carbide tip, high revs and light cuts, I roughed them all out in less than half an hour, afterwards I tried a piece of 1/4 dia Old stock Eclipse HSS and found it considerably tougher to machine, so there you are, it’s horses for courses, for brass etc cheap stuff should be more than ok but for tougher steels and cast iron I would delve into the box of old stock

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
28/06/2019 19:55:55

Tidyness has nothing to do with being anal or snobbery about makes of equipment in the workshop, it comes down to the simple fact that in industry, especially the aerospace industry tidiness is drummed in to you, benches must be clean and tidy, only the job you are working on is on the bench, there is absolutely no clutter, machines are cleaned at the end of every day, time is allowed for it, this is all due to the quality management system 5s or 6 sigma etc. Having worked in aerospace as a toolmaker for many years old habits die hard.

28/06/2019 14:36:35

At the end of the day all tools are put away, machines cleaned down and oiled and floor hoovered so that it is ready for the next work session. I cannot abide working in mess and most probably spend ( waste, according to your opinion) a good half hour cleaning up after every session.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest