By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How can I make an accurate 90 grind using a diamond whetstone?
27/10/2021 14:36:48

Howard I told him this when he asked about the sixty four pieces he wanted with a knife edge or some such machined on them. I don’t think he appreciated my advice then and I doubt if he will now. I think I shall be ignoring his posts in future.

Thread: LBSC 440 Virginia
25/10/2021 15:56:37

When I was an apprentice the Forman was building a Virginia, he had done a beautiful Juliet before and Virginia was his second loco build, most of it being done at work. I distinctly remember him going into town one lunchtime and coming back with about half a dozen refills for very small steel tape rules, these were no more then a quarter inch wide. He spent the afternoon soaking them in chemiclene and then setting fire to them, all the lettering disappeared and he had strips of beautiful spring steel. Next day he made up punches and dies and made the sets of leaves, by the end of the week he had beautiful sets of springs. Small steel tapes are still available, Stanley 1metre powerlock 39-133 if you want to go that route, often seen on checkouts in builders merchants.

Thread: Mag chuck dismantling
24/10/2021 09:36:04

Thanks Bill, I will in future grind it with magnet off. Never seen any manual for the chucks before.

23/10/2021 21:31:57

Gerry, don’t bother removing the handle, it should come away with the centre section of the chuck. I have taken a few of these apart in my time and some can be reluctant to come apart, one chuck needed persuading with a four inch bricklayers bolster applied under the top plate to lift it up, it had to come apart, it was seized solid, others have fallen apart as soon as the screws came out.

23/10/2021 18:23:02

I took my Eclipse 10 by 5 mag chuck apart many years ago because the on off handle was very stiff. The handle on mine was held in by a taper pin and a good wallop got it out. Undo all the screws in the base and it should come apart quite easily, there are three pieces, top and bottom plates and an ally casting for the middle bit. Mine was full of crud, it had been used with coolant and some had got inside and rusted everything. A good wash out and reassembled the same way it came apart and jobs a good un. Would be worth just kissing the top over just to make sure everything is dead true, I was always taught to grind the top of the chuck with the magnets on, others say with them off, no doubt someone will tell me what is correct and why.

Thread: Locomotive boiler wrap
22/10/2021 22:29:42

Michael if you can get paint to stick to ally I would go for it, especially if you already have plenty of it.

22/10/2021 17:24:27

Empty cereal boxes are useful for templates and are basically free!

22/10/2021 14:08:22

Roy if you told us roughly where you are maybe there is someone close you could ask for advice.

Edited By Baz on 22/10/2021 14:09:16

Thread: Britan Lathe - New Lathe Day
20/10/2021 17:28:07

I think Britan are still trading, last address I have got is Unit 3 Goodwin business park CB8 7SQ.

18/10/2021 15:56:20

I think I would go with Kozo, never heard a bad word about his designs which is more than can be said for any of the English/ UK designers. Having the Kozo books already is a bonus as they are not cheap thing to purchase. Don’t worry about too many projects on the go, I must have a dozen. If I live to 150 I might finish half of them!

Thread: Super 7 questions
17/10/2021 22:11:44

My countershaft oil cups empty as fast as I fill them, I now use chainsaw oil in them hoping that being thicker it may stay in the bearing a bit longer. The oiler on the headstock front bearing seems to last about a day before it empties, I have no idea if this correct or not, it would be nice to know how often others have to lubricate the spindle.

Thread: Is it best to buy M/C or sub out?
17/10/2021 17:54:42

As all Brian needs to do is to produce a drawing for his component he is not tied to using Fusion 360. Any cad programme preferably 3D should do the job and leave it to the sub contractor to do the Cam side of things. Most loco builders are happy to have frames etc water or laser cut so why not sub out machining. The only problem is finding a friendly company that is happy to do very small runs, there is no money in it.

Thread: Flexispeed Lathe
16/10/2021 19:55:32

FWIW = for what it’s worth, another favourite on here is AFAIK = as far as I know. As far as I am concerned they are all a PITA = Pain in the A##e to decipher.

Thread: 0-6-0 pansy
15/10/2021 21:08:30

The articles have been running in ME for most of this year, if not a bit longer, sorry I cannot be more prescise but I am sure someone will be along with exact dates.

Edited By Baz on 15/10/2021 21:09:21

Thread: SKY abandoning their satellite customers
11/10/2021 17:35:44

A few years ago I wanted to change from Sky to Virgin, we had a Virgin shop in town so I enquired and nobody could tell me how they would get the cable from the pavement into the house, all I was told was that the installation engineer would sort it out. Ended up staying with Sky because I didn’t want the block paved drive dug up as that is the only way to route the cable.

Thread: Rust Protection
08/10/2021 12:52:37

Totally agree with Bo’sun, I keep a desiccant dehumidifier running in the workshop, a single skin brick double garage and have no rust problems. I did have a refrigerant dehumidifier but it froze up solid every winter. A bonus of the dessicant type is that you get a bit of warm air out of it, every little helps!

Thread: Paint stripper
07/10/2021 18:35:04

I have recently used Dial brand pant stripper which I believe is a brand name of that large diy outlet whose name is two letters of the alphabet. Removed paint from steel and cast iron quite easily.

Thread: Walker Midgley Prize Draw for Model Engineers
06/10/2021 17:56:18

Totally agree with Kwil.

Thread: Stolen Locos
05/10/2021 13:11:32

Hope they are found and that the scum that stole them are severely dealt with. Yes I know I am dreaming, slap on wrists and a couple of hours community service if you’re lucky.

Thread: Bronze or brass
03/10/2021 13:32:42

From your photo I would say round is bronze and hex is brass.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest