By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Turnbuckle manufacture
07/01/2021 09:35:54

As well as Drill Service (Horley) and Tracy Tools there is also The Tap and Die company who do a range of left hand threads.

Thread: Odd thread
05/01/2021 14:19:06

11/32” x 40tpi gets my vote.

Thread: bronze
04/01/2021 22:13:42

I agree with Jason, SAE660 silver solders well.

Thread: A finished project - at last!
04/01/2021 19:40:52

Absolutely beautiful, did the Arnold Throp design go on to become the Southworth range of engines?

Thread: Re-grinding 2 MT Socket
04/01/2021 17:30:03

If it were mine I think I would try the morse taper reamer, if the spindle taper is damaged it cannot be that hard, a HSS reamer should be harder, what have you got to loose, only a morse taper reamer and they are easily and fairly cheaply replaced. You don’t say what make of machine it is, if it is still in production could you just buy a new spindle?

Thread: ME magazine late again
04/01/2021 10:59:59

I am still waiting for mine in North Hampshire, let’s hope it’s not lost mailbags like it was a couple of years ago.

Thread: CAM software for CNC Lathes - With C axis and constrained live tool
04/01/2021 10:08:21

Joseph I wouldn’t worry about the space taken up by the CNC programme, far more space is wasted on this forum by pointless discussions on what lathe is best, what lathe do I need, comparing Myford to Chinese etc etc.

Thread: Clarkson Radius Grinding Fixture
02/01/2021 10:52:38

Ian Armstrong, you have a PM.

Thread: Bar size and dies
01/01/2021 21:53:05

10 x 1.25 pitch can be truncated down to a diameter of about 9.8mm dia, that will make threading with a die a little bit easier.

Thread: Warco UNIVERSAL TOOL & CUTTER GRINDER v Quorn Mk 3
01/01/2021 20:04:38

Another possibility is the Acute sharpener from Eccentric Engineering.

Thread: 2021
31/12/2020 14:44:17

Best wishes to everyone wherever you are in the world for a better 2021.

Thread: Clarkson Radius Grinding Fixture
30/12/2020 21:53:14

Clarkson instructions are very vague, they seem to assume everyone using the equipment is a professional cutter grinder and just needs a simple drawing of what goes where. The instructions for the basic machine at least include a list of standard parts so you know what you have and what you are missing but the radius attachment and drill grinding attachment booklets don’t, so as Noel says you may have an important part missing and not know about it.

Noel, I will photograph my threaded sleeve tomorrow and mail it to you.

28/12/2020 14:17:01
Posted by Phil P on 26/12/2020 11:38:07:

I had an "interesting" debate with an expert on one of the forums a few years ago about the radius grinding fixture.

The debate was on how one should apply the cut after each new pass on the grinding wheel the expert said that you apply the cut by advancing the table of the cutter grinder as you would in most other cases.

Mt argument was that if you do that the finished radius with get progressively smaller as you are moving the pivot point closer to the wheel.

This is the explanatory sketch I did at the time.
diagram 1.jpg

What is needed is a way of advancing the cutter holder forwards on the grinding fixture, the mk2 head has the tenon in line with the angled holder so that could be achieved, but I plan on making mine with a fine adjustment screw built into the design. That might be something you want to think about.

If you need an instruction manual for the radius attachment mk1 or mk2 let me know by PM.

Phil

Phil I am a bit late coming to this discussion due to Christmas jobs for her who must be obeyed. Regarding your sketches you are correct that winding the table nearer the wheel reduces the radius. The correct way to use the radius grinding attachment is to set the tool as in your initial setup illustration and then touch the end of the tool onto the grinding wheel. The table is then locked and the tool is advanced into the wheel by using the threaded sleeve that fits into the aluminium block. The cutter to be ground is held in a standard holder with a collar in front and behind the ally block / sleeve assembly so the tool can be rotated. A finger is mounted in the usual fashion to locate and index the cutter.

Thread: A Christmas Conundeum - to Case Harden or not to Case Harden?
24/12/2020 13:09:31

Chris I can answer your last question, how easy is case hardening, very easy indeed, plenty of info on here in other posts on how it’s done.

Thread: Calor gas butane workshop radiant heater
23/12/2020 21:10:54

For the sake of twenty quid you could buy a carbon monoxide alarm and put in the workshop, when the alarm goes off turn the heater off and get out fast!

Thread: Which Laptop
22/12/2020 15:29:31

Peter, if you can afford it upgrade to a new machine, life is too short.

Thread: Milton Keynes Metals?
21/12/2020 12:11:30

Bought some chainsaw oil for the lathe at the beginning of the year because I had run out of the proper stuff, Magna 68. I cannot notice any difference between the two. I don’t think it really matters what you use, as long you use something, don’t run the slides dry, except of course for cast iron. The chap in the mower place told me that the local tree surgeons had given up using proper chainsaw oil because it is too expensive and now they buy sunflower oil from the local supermarket.

Thread: Colchester MK1 Bantam
19/12/2020 17:33:50

Rob I don’t think you can adjust the ejection point, I think it is fixed by the end of the barrel thread. Only way that springs to mind is to shorten the tang on whatever tool you are using.

Thread: Steinel Bench Milling Machine
17/12/2020 14:34:29

Is it a mill, is it a jig borer? Call it what you like, what’s in a name, it’s what it can do and more importantly what you can do on it that matters.

Thread: Holbrook 10B
17/12/2020 09:20:01

Ady1 except for the B8 which has steel headstock bearings front and rear and has small oil cups on the front of the headstock.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest