By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Measuring tilt angles
13/08/2020 15:18:23

All depends on the accuracy required, a cheap plastic protractor up to a sine bar.

Thread: Surface gauge reconditioning
10/08/2020 21:26:24

Nothing at all wrong with grinding a couple of thou off the base to rescue them.

Thread: Bantam thread cutting set-up?
09/08/2020 16:39:31

Must be me being thick as usual but all I see is a picture of a Bantam 800, is there a question or some statement of some sort to go with it.

Thread: Piddington/ Reeves Rotary Table
08/08/2020 11:16:23

Clive, the only one I can see on their website costs best part of £90 including drawings, I would imagine a decent worm and wheel would be a similar price, you can get a Chinese job for that money and save all the grief of making one. Have you checked that Reeves actually still stock the castings because a few weeks ago I tried to purchase castings for a small machine vice, it was just like the Myford machine vice but about twice the length, placed the order and got a phone call saying that they no longer done it and it was promptly removed from website.

Thread: Myford Mod
07/08/2020 08:31:33

This modification also moves the topslide dial away from the tailstock body, I would consider it a very useful modification to a Myford and one is on my to do list, which despite lockdown and a lot more workshop time doesn’t seem to be getting any shorter. Don’t know if this a good or bad thing.

Thread: Painting on old galvanize
04/08/2020 17:20:23

Seem to remember that Hammerite do a speciality metals primer which works on galvanised, I purchased a tin before lockdown but cannot seem to find it at the moment, along with quite a few other things.

Thread: Midlands Exhibition cancelled
04/08/2020 17:00:24

No great surprise, I couldn’t see how maintaining a social distance and wearing a mask would work. Hope this virus is sorted out in time for next years exhibition.

Thread: Jobs
30/07/2020 19:46:49
Posted by Phil McAvity on 30/07/2020 19:34:36:

Thankfully, hobby engineers don't run the economy. dont know

I think we could do a much better job, certainly couldn’t do a worse one👍

Thread: Which tool would cut Hardened steel ?
28/07/2020 08:56:52

Totally agree with Hopper, buy from a reputable source. Myford lathes just don’t have the rigidity and power to deal with hardened or alloy steels, neither do any of the similar sized Chinese offerings for that matter.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
26/07/2020 10:55:12

Don’t beat yourself up over a few mistakes, the bloke who never made a mistake never made anything. Some days everything goes perfectly in the workshop, other days I wonder why I bother, I just cannot get anything right.

Thread: How Best to Sell a Clarkson Cutter Grinder & Accessories?
26/07/2020 09:15:40

Mark, it is my experience that most dealers split items up to maximise profits, it’s just the way they do business. A dealer will argue that a customer will want to buy a basic machine and add what accessories he requires at time of purchase and then buy what he needs as he needs it.

Thread: Is a drip feed coolant advisable
25/07/2020 18:22:54

When I was an apprentice all the machines had pumped coolant and no matter how we tried we ended the day covered in the stinking stuff, working in aerospace we used a small paintbrush and a can of soluble oil, far better, some jobs we done in stainless had to be done dry or with water only as a coolant, the job had to live in an oven until fitted into final assembly. In my home workshop I only use cutting oil put on by a brush or from a dripper bottle, I use it on carbide and have never had a problem with thermal shock, I don’t believe we are running the tips hard enough to generate much heat, in industry the tips are worked far harder and get a lot hotter and thermal shock does become a problem, it becomes difficult to see what is happening inside the cabinet because of all the coolant spray. Most of the machines I worked on had large extractors fitted on top to suck all the mist out of the cabinet so the operator didn’t inhale it.

Thread: 4BA or 5BA
24/07/2020 22:20:41

Would have thought that stainless or bronze would be far better than steel, steel rusts doesn’t it?

Thread: Engineers' Level adjustment - why 4 holes?
24/07/2020 17:36:17

Looks crude but obviously works, cannot think of a more elegant way of doing it without costing a lot of 💰

Thread: S7 saddle
24/07/2020 17:32:13

Plenty of information on here, the subject has been discussed many, many times recently, someone will be along shortly telling you what to search for.

Thread: 4BA or 5BA
23/07/2020 16:54:56

Buy some 5/32 or 3/16 diameter bronze and turn it down, should be able to do it in one cut.

Thread: Message from the prime minister
20/07/2020 22:07:30

Obviously I have been in lockdown for too long, missed that one totally👍

20/07/2020 21:06:35

OK I give up, what is the significance of Ian Johnson1 bottle of Loctite 271 photo.

Thread: where to buy ground lathe mandrels
20/07/2020 16:55:17
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 20/07/2020 15:20:56:
Posted by ega on 20/07/2020 13:55:10:

I can't vouch for the method but I have heard of the use of adjustable reamers as between centres mandrels.

The mind bogglessad

Tony

Only needs a bit of a heavy cut and the job will stop rotating while the reamer reams your hole oversize, sounds totally stupid to me, but what do I know?

Thread: microscope refurbishment
16/07/2020 08:44:11

I have had the same problem of satin chrome knurls with rusty spots and have improved it by brushing with a brass bristle brush.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest