By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Baz

Here is a list of all the postings Baz has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: First workbench, for an ML7 lathe
28/10/2020 13:56:36

I must agree with Duncan regarding lathe height, I am of average height, five foot nine tall and every lathe I have worked on is in my opinion too low, the worst for me being the Colchester Bantam, which I have now raised four inches and perhaps needs to go up another two inches to be ideal. The Myford for me needs to be raised four inches to make it comfortable to stand at for a full days machining.

Thread: For the latest in PC fashion! (Anyone here with a Master's Degree?)
28/10/2020 09:53:09

Totally agree with Peter. What about Master and Slave chucks, are they now supposed to be called primary and secondary chucks? The worlds going crazy!

Thread: Reducing diameter cylinder bobs
26/10/2020 12:48:32

Chris, you say you have found online an article, can you please share the link with us.

Thread: Collector's Item
23/10/2020 21:56:56

Over half a million quid and you only get 300 Nectar points!

Thread: Mitutoyo Caliper
21/10/2020 19:02:48

I don’t really see what the problem is, I have Mitutoyo, Mahr and Aldi / Lidl brand digital callipers, as said before the Mitutoyo are always on and the others turn off after a period of time, just moving the slide on the Lidl / Aldi ones brings them to life again at the correct setting, the Mahr brand has to be closed shut and then turned on. I buy packets of batteries from a pound shop, they have about five of five different sizes, the grandchildren’s toys take two of the sizes and the callipers take another size so jolly good for a quid. Sometimes I turn them off, sometimes I don’t, I seem to use two batteries per calliper per year.

Thread: Hemingway Myford Saddle Stop kit
21/10/2020 17:25:34

Martin, I much prefer a stop on the left hand side, if you had different length screws you could possibly get a greater range of lengths, the Hemmingway version is only any good for a couple of inches and the big downside of it is that you cannot wind the saddle towards the tailstock, the clamping block being on the right hand side of the apron limits this so it is impossible to get say a boring tool far enough away for you to be able to measure a hole.

21/10/2020 12:04:16

My personal opinion is that the saddle clamp is unnecessary, Myford provided a perfectly good one on the back of the saddle.

20/10/2020 13:20:13

Have made a couple of them, PM me and I will send pics etc. Would upload them here but is a bit beyond my abilities.

Thread: Myford Mk1 Super 7 restoration
17/10/2020 22:41:56

Morty be careful what you fix the felt on with, many years ago I was given a surface plate so I made a nice wooden cover for it, varnished it and decided to put felt inside it. Glued the felt on with evo stick resin w wood glue, put a drop of glue all round the edges then across the diagonals then across the middle, stuck the felt on and thought no more about it for a week, removed the cover to find a beautiful surface plate with a very rusty Union Jack shape on the top.

Thread: Help needed to identify a surface grinder
16/10/2020 17:32:43

M.O.S is that ministry of supply, if so probably Second World War and rented? Absolutely no idea of what make it is but like Oldiron says motor and spindle missing for a start.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
16/10/2020 14:50:43

Followed Jason’s link and now everything is working fine, thanks for the help.

15/10/2020 20:22:15

Just tried installing the latest version 2.2, almost got to the end of installing and it couldn’t find a file so I lost the lot, the original version as well, all I was left with was my folder of drawings, not impressed to say the least.

Thread: Grumpy old men
13/10/2020 15:09:21

I would be very keen for a virtual meeting.

Thread: 1000 to make a Spitfire aircraft fuel tank gauge. Can it be done cheaper?
12/10/2020 20:39:20

I think around £1000 is a bargain price, as Stuart says most of the cost is in paperwork as an example a certificate of conformity for a piece of metal will add about £30 to the bill, you may need a couple of springs, about £1.50 each plus again £30 for c of c, it doesn’t take long to run up a fair old bill. Problem is it’s £30 for two springs or two thousand springs, same for a bar of brass, one length or fifty lengths from the same batch, the price is the same.

Thread: Grumpy old men
11/10/2020 21:51:47

I was always told that a boat was the thing you got in to when the ship started sinking.

11/10/2020 12:55:19

People who start a sentence with so. So I bought a whatever...... So I have a problem.......

Thread: Information sought on Rubor Stub Drills
08/10/2020 13:01:47

Trubor is a brand name of Metalbor, Google will tell you more. Edited due to predictive text

Edited By Baz on 08/10/2020 13:02:53

Thread: Horizontal Milling Attachments
07/10/2020 19:22:48

I have one of the Target horizontal milling attachments, used it quite a few times for small slitting saws and side and face cutters and it worked well, then along came a Sharp horizontal and vertical mill, not used the attachment much since then but still a handy thing for the small cutters as it has a half inch diameter arbor.

07/10/2020 15:16:27

Martyn instead of paying out for a four slot rotary table why not put a sub plate on the top, a chunk of steel about 16mm thick fixed down into tee nuts in your three slots then you have the choice of peppering the top with tapped holes or cutting the four tee slots that you require, only downside is you loose a bit of height due to sub plate thickness.

Thread: Elidir - 3 inch scale Hunslet
05/10/2020 22:00:18

That is gorgeous!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest