By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robbo

Here is a list of all the postings Robbo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old can with unknown trademark
12/08/2018 19:04:37

Not Braime's. They had brass pump and nozzle, handle a different shape. And name stamped into the sliding lid.

But can't say what brand it is.

Thread: using the Worden
07/08/2018 09:08:33

Deric

Have sent you a PM

Thread: Reliance drill grinding attachment.
05/08/2018 23:53:41

This thread on the Spiralux grinding device might be of help - **LINK**

Thread: Lathe motor
01/08/2018 21:48:37

John

The "cwl20rv" is the type number of the lathe to which the motor was fitted (ClarkeWoodLathe20(probably 20" between centres) Reversible Head Variable speed) The speed control was a mechanical one of tapered pulley type.

So the motor is probably not reversible. Take the cover off the connection box and if there are only 2 terminals plus earth then it isn't. If there are 4 terminals and 2 pairs are linked then it is. You might be lucky!

Thread: Boxford "Little Giant" Tool Post Grinder - Manual Needed
22/07/2018 21:55:33

Mike

The Popular Mechanics magazine with the relevant article is Nov 1949, you can find it in the US Archive, you want file page number 228 - 232.

Link to the magazine in the Archive - **LINK**

22/07/2018 10:23:43

Mike

I have never seen any instructions for the Little Giant grinder, but have an old article from Popular Mechanics (1949) which used the South Bend version as an example. I'll try and look it out.

Meanwhile you can find the instructions for the Dumore series 14 toolpost grinder, which is a similar size, here - **LINK**

Thread: Clarke CL430 Metal Lathe
21/07/2018 23:22:25

A look at this old thread might be of help - **LINK**

Thread: Another bush drilling question
16/07/2018 23:42:56

Ian

The bushes in question on the Super 7 were originally specified as "Oilite". What may have been changed over the lathe's life is another matter frown

Thread: Myford belt Tension Lever Stuck!
10/07/2018 15:04:12

As Martin says, take the tension off the belt by moving it to a smaller pulley. If you can't move it then slacken off the tension adjusting screws on the swing head. Then see if the tension lever works and the motor runs

Edited By Robbo on 10/07/2018 15:04:51

Thread: AMOLCO milling attachment
08/07/2018 10:52:56

Leszek

As has been said, the Amolco was designed to use Myford patent collets, with an external locking ring which fits on the nose thread.

If you want to use a drawbar you will find the the hole through the spindle is too small for most drawbars which are usually inserted through the top of the spindle. I have used an M8 thread drawbar in an Amolco by reducing the diameter of the part above the thread and inserting the drawbar up through the spindle nose before inserting the collet.

Thread: Myford super 7
22/06/2018 10:03:21

When you do come to use the backgear, you can do so with complete peace of mind laugh

Thread: L. H. Sparey Running Centre
22/06/2018 09:44:49

James

Like most of the designs in 'The Amateur's Lathe', Sparey first published this in 'The Model Mechanic' magazine, of which he was Editor. This one was in July 1948.

In the text he said that "As the centre revolves, it may be made of mild steel, but a steel of harder grade is preferable as this will withstand accidental damage much better. A cast steel or silver steel may be used- although the centre is not hardened...……."

For those with an interest in such things I have put a copy of the 2-page article in my albums as "Sparey Running Centre"

20/06/2018 15:53:15

Michael

It's been quiet while I've been absent! I thought you would have a lot of posts advising the use of link belts instead of V, so obviating the need to remove the spindle. Link belts are very popular with some members! I did find that a link made the running smoother between the motor and countershaft, but have had problems with slippage using one between countershaft and spindle.

As a regular user of backgear I wouldn't use it with a missing tooth, though presumably its on the 53 tooth cog which meshes with the 20 Tooth on the spindle pulley, so it will probably run over OK.

If you want a 17/53 tooth backgear, send me a message, I've found one in my box of old Myford bits. Postage in UK is a "small parcel" so £3 - 5.

Thread: ML10 Apron Wheel
16/06/2018 19:38:36

Paul

The apron handwheel on an ML7, and the older Super 7, is 3.5 inches diameter. That should tell you if it will swing clear of the cross slide.

Thread: How to remove four jaw chuck screws?
13/06/2018 22:13:52

Eugene

Trevor's is the only way to get the yokes out and remove the screws. They will be a tight fit so as you say a good soaking in Plus Gas is a good idea. It can sometimes help to give the reverse side a tap to break the seal which will have formed. A little heat is usually a good idea.

They usually come out eventually. I have dismantled lots, and only had to give up on one which just wouldn't be shifted crook

Thread: AMOLCO milling attachment
12/06/2018 20:45:03

Looks like there was probably a brass pad in yours and its got lost, as the screw is too short.

I checked the Amolco I've got hanging around and there is no pad, but the screw is long enough to lock on the column, and it also has had its end flattened and smoothed off before blackening, so looks like original. There are no visible marks on the column.

I would go for a shaped brass pad though.

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 08/07/2018 22:48:47

Thread: Emco FB-2 Oil Change
12/06/2018 09:31:06

Emil

Standard method from the FB2 manual is to remove the sight glass, put a receptacle for the oil on the table, and then turn the head through a quarter turn until the sight glass hole is underneath and the oil runs out.

Run the machine for a while beforehand to warm up the oil and stir up any sediment. Be prepared for oil to get everywhere it rarely runs out in a nice stream!

Thread: Myford ml7
08/06/2018 23:38:10
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/06/2018 17:10:46:

ml7.jpg

The top cover of the Dewhurst switch gives the game away here Neil wink

Thread: trackrod end
19/05/2018 09:38:16

As a pivot point for a lever action tailstock - it's been done before wink

19/05/2018 00:19:40

That's right Michael. The adjusting screw is simply a grub screw with a rounded end  threaded through the push rod, and should be removable from either end. Your picture shows it sticking out of the 'bottom' end of the push rod, where it rests on the taper of the actuating shaft. You will have noticed that the adjusting screw has a smaller thread (1/4" BSF x 3/4" long) than the locking screw (5/16" BSF x 3/8" long).

Your lathe bed number is correct for 1963, so you must have a modified lathe. Probably had some bed damage to the original and a used bed as a replacement. With old machinery you need a very open mind!

Your picture doesn't show the whole push rod, it should look like this:

clutch push rod.jpg

Edited By Robbo on 19/05/2018 00:21:44

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest