By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CL300M Mini Lathe Motor issues
12/08/2020 09:03:44

Hi Dave. If you enter CL300 into the search box at the top of the page above the green header you will get to a whole list of previous posts on the subject. Blew the board on my machine many years ago and bought a replacement (ouch). Learnt my lesson and haven't done it since. Best of luck .

Anthony.

Thread: Paint for mild steel sheet brazing hearth.
10/08/2020 10:18:22

Apologies if this breaks any rules. Just trying to help.

paint.jpg

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
05/08/2020 18:41:02

I thought the scratch gauge in the last MEW would be really useful, so I went into the workshop today with the intention of making one. I couldn't find a suitable piece of square bar or a TC tip so I came up with this.

scratch.jpg

The 8mm rod is a piece from a dismantled printer and the scriber is part of a 3mm drill with a point ground on it. I make no claim as to originality, but I'm not really taking up woodwork.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 05/08/2020 18:41:51

04/08/2020 08:45:52

Thank you for that information gentlemen.

01/08/2020 17:02:34

Today I was cutting my lawn when the mower died. A quick check with my test meter revealed that, fuse OK, switch OK, motor not OK, in fact reading open circuit. this mower is about 30 years old and I am not going to reveal the make. Sufficient to say it has a revolving horizontal blade and is based on hovercraft technology. Lasting this long it had obviously avoided the final checks before leaving the factory. " We can't have these machines lasting more than ten years".

As any engineer would do, I stripped it down to look at the motor and found that the problem was due to a "spade" connector, which had gone high resistance and burnt out. A quick clean-up, solder the offending joint and back up and running. The thing which really annoyed me is that the motor is constructed in such a way as to make it impossible to check the motor brushes, without taking the risk of breaking the tabs with which the motor has been constructed in the first place. Motor label says "made in Sweden" which were obviously not into recycling back then. Should the brushes fail in the near future I will obviously have to risk bending the assembly tabs and hope they don't break.

Thread: Jobs
31/07/2020 07:58:30

Grumpy old got? Guilty as charged m'lud. By coincidence the following appeared today on the firefox page

**LINK**

30/07/2020 17:30:15

If nothing else, the reported furloughing of certain jobs has pointed out how many jobs these days are not essential to the continuation of civilisation. Two spring to mind, the first being the people who make sandwiches ( at 4 or 5 times the actual cost) for people who are too idle to make their own before the leave home. The exorbadant cost is, I believe, due to the fact that they have to bin so many.

Nail Bars? Are people incapable of cutting and filing and if they desire painting their own fingernails?

Comments and suggestion are invited. In the mean time I will retire to my Nuclear Shelter.

Thread: Opions sought on using the USB Photo Stick for photo storage
29/07/2020 13:19:46

USB memory sticks/thumb drives or whatever else you care to call the are just blocks of non-volatile memory that you can store data on. I have USB memory with DVD's stored on them, but you have to use NTFS format as the old FAT32 format cannot handle files larger than 4GB. My computer hard drives are backed up onto memory sticks as well as onto spare HDDs.

29/07/2020 02:58:47

All the bits for the Starret type clamps are completed, so I can assemble them. I'm not sure how they will be finished off yet. Polish on a sheet of fine emery cloth or blacken? Compromised with the jaw size which I have made 16mm. No second set because its just something else for the workshop gremlins to hide.

clamps.jpg

Edited By Anthony Knights on 29/07/2020 02:59:48

Thread: Science Museum needs help identifying mystery objects
20/07/2020 10:27:37

I can remember my dad having the "Hobbies" catalogue and also possibly the magazine. He did a lot of marquetry work as a hobby and really wanted a mechanical fretsaw. He eventually made one powered by a rotary converter used as a motor. I think I may have inherited a lot of his practical skills which is why I am here on this site.

Thread: Upload photos - canít identify which one
04/07/2020 09:25:06

I always process my photo's with an old Adobe photoshop type program. They are always renamed and resized before uploading. As a bonus, they always come out the right way up.

Thread: TOOL BOXES
02/07/2020 07:18:08

A lot of portable power tools come with their own box/carry case. Those of mine which haven't are stored in their own box, usually bought from B&Q. This ensures that any consumables, special spanners, etc are all together with the tool itself. I have an old steel cantilever tool box for storing my collection of spanners, a box containing plumbing tools and another with electrical installation kit.

Because of a damp problem in the garage/AKA workshop, all the sensitive measuring equipment is stored in a Clarke wooden cabinet , which is kept in the house. Cutters, taper sockets and other bits for the lathe and milling machine are stored in plastic food boxes stacked up on shelves at the back of the bench. The only snag with this is that Sod's Law makes sure that the next item you want is always in the box at the bottom of the stack.

30/06/2020 10:31:24

Yesterday the guard on my bench pillar drill finally disintergrated. I has been a PIA for sometime, constantly coming loose and to be honest, was more dangerous than not having one.guard_broke.jpg

It also supported a primitive depth gauge/stop. (those of you with a similar model drill will know what I mean). I decided not to re-instate this as the hole it was in makes a convenient chuck key storage point.

gauge.jpg

I decided that I would make a large graduated wheel to fit the operating spindle and finally finished and fitted it this morning. I do have some 2.5mm number punches, so the next job is to make a jig to accurately mark the dial. I will have to check how they perform on a curved surface first. It is perfectly useable as it is.

dial.jpg

edited for duff formatting.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 30/06/2020 10:33:41

Edited By Anthony Knights on 30/06/2020 10:35:56

Thread: Power feed for mill head
29/06/2020 16:25:03

Just to clarify, "Parvalux" is the name of a motor manufacturer.

Thread: Making Parallels
21/06/2020 07:50:12

I have half a dozen pairs of HSS tool blanks which I use as parallels when required. I don't know how accurate they are, other than that my measuring kit shows the individual pairs as identical.

Thread: DYMO labels [safe removal] ... what method ?
20/06/2020 10:22:28

I have found that brake and clutch cleaning fluid shifts almost any sticky stuff I have come across. As above, check on non visible area of paint first.

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
20/06/2020 09:22:35

I have heard (although it could be a load of BS) that advanced technology means that hand held detectors have replaced the detector van. Don't know how they would check stuff coming via the internet.

Thread: New member in Ireland
18/06/2020 08:06:26

There are people who slag off far eastern imports, but I personally, would not have been able to get into this hobby, if it was not for them.

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
18/06/2020 07:57:53

I have no intention of paying for the TV license when it is re introduced for us oldies. I have already removed my TV aerial and disconnected the aerial and distribution amplifiers. There is now no RF tv signal in the house. I am also in the process of blocking live streaming URLs on my 2 laptops which have internet capability. Anything to do with the BBC is already blocked and I am working my way through all the other sites I can find. Hopefully I will soon only be watching non BBC catchup sites, for which one does NOT need a license. Oh I cannot watch TV on my smart phone because I don't have one. I expect to be harassed by the license authority, but they can get stuffed!

In the workshop I have a CD player and listen to a lot of heavy metal. (appropriate for a metal mangling shop)

Edited By Anthony Knights on 18/06/2020 07:59:49

Thread: sievert gas torch
17/06/2020 08:14:40

When finished, I always turn the gas off using the valve on the top of the cylinder.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest