By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Guiness world record?
18/02/2021 20:46:23

Velcro is easier than laces.

18/02/2021 18:10:50

Hello Mr Pete Smith. What you need is one of these;-

sockon.jpg

sock_on.jpg

My daughter bought me one, now I'm unfortunately on my own. I couldn't manage without it.

Regards Anthony

Thread: BA threads
31/01/2021 22:43:05

Thank you peak4 for an interesting read. So we copied the 47.5 degrees and all the fault of the Swiss.

31/01/2021 13:40:12

I am puzzled by the 47.5 degree angle between the flanks of BA threads. Was there some obscure mathematical reason for this value, or were the design committee split as to whether to use 47 or 48 degrees. Whatever the reason, I don't see how half a degree would make any difference one way or the other. If it was up to me, I would have chosen 48 degrees, purely on the KISS principle. 48 factorises to 3 x 2e4 and would be really easy to set up for grinding threading tools. Forgive me for asking stupid questions, but I spent my life as an electronics engineer, where one learns to think logically and learns something new every week.

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
17/01/2021 10:27:21

covid1.jpg

Hopefully I won't now be dying from covid, although I do have other conditions which could see me off.

Thread: New Covid Rules
13/01/2021 08:54:57

Deleted

Edited By Anthony Knights on 13/01/2021 08:56:42

Thread: Angle grinder cut off stand
11/01/2021 14:39:51

This is an Aldi cut off stand, fitted with a 115mm angle grinder. I used it a lot until I bought a "Fermi" band saw. Still used for cutting HSS blanks. It has a crappy vice arrangement, but at least has a cast iron baseplate, rather than the steel pressing that a similar machine sold by Machine Mart had.chopsaw.jpg

Thread: Humbrol Enamels
10/01/2021 10:38:04

Thank you for your replies gentlemen. I'm not bothered about any matting effect as I will be painting figures and most clothing and skin is not glossy.

10/01/2021 07:58:38

I was recently given a large number of the small tins of Humbrol enamel, most of which have never been opened. On the tin it says to use Humbrol thinners. Is this a special composition, or would white spirit or some other solvent work? It has been many years since I made plastic models (moon shot) and I'm afraid I can't remember what I used back then. It is presently so cold in the workshop, I thought I would try something I can do in the house.

Thread: A white xmas
29/12/2020 10:52:42

I woke up this morning to snow on the ground (North Yorkshire). The freezer has needed de-frosting for some time, so I bagged up the contents and dumped them outside. Then did the defrost (aided by a heat gun). Freezer is now refilled, neatly for now, but it won't last. Another round tuit job done.

Thread: Stewart Harts Grasshopper Beam Engine
29/12/2020 08:48:58

Hi there. I am building the same engine and Stewart sent me the original plans. Does this Help?

base.jpg

Regards Anthony.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
28/12/2020 14:35:48

More parts for the beam engine. The cylinder has been machined to length and diameter. Now requires boring. Finished the cylinder end caps, and also the vertical beam. I didn't have any suitable brass to fabricate the beam with, so I machined something similar from a solid piece of 10 x 25 mm black bar.more.jpg

Thread: Change display font size?
28/12/2020 12:52:24

edited duplicate post

Edited By Anthony Knights on 28/12/2020 12:53:19

28/12/2020 12:51:22

Using the mouse scroll wheel with control key pressed, zooms in or out.

Thread: Christmas Disasters!
26/12/2020 07:35:52

This is my second Christmas on my own. A friend invited me round for dinner yesterday, which was very enjoyable. At the moment, I am on a course of anti-biotics which specifically forbid consumption of alcohol, which means a dry Christmas and New Year for me. The only consolation is that the local corner shop sells a good brand of zero alcohol lager. To top it all, my son phoned me yesterday to say his fridge went "Bang" while cooking dinner and all the kitchen sockets are dead. Fortunately, he does have several extension leads.

Thread: Colchester MK1 Bantam
21/12/2020 08:15:37

For my mini lathe, I get maximum travel by cutting the tang off the morse tapers used in the tailstock. I have also made an adjustable scale to read tailstock travel.

tsscale.jpg

Thread: Brushless motor question
20/12/2020 10:34:43

My CL300 mini lathe has a relay interlock system and a switch on the speed control pot which makes it impossible to start the machine if the speed control is not at zero.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 20/12/2020 10:35:13

Thread: Oil proof brush?
19/12/2020 10:33:21

I buy the cheapest packs of paint brushes from the local DIY shop and I class them as "consumable products". Whether used for painting or brushing swarf, it's not really worth the effort of cleaning or restoring them when a pack of 6 is less than £3. So bin them.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
17/12/2020 18:08:25

Very true Ian. I still have Whit/BSF spanners from when I had a motor bike, although they don't get much use these days. I still have a tap wrench I made when I was about 18 years old and coincidently, used it yesterday.

16/12/2020 11:45:44

Today I went to change the bit on my almost antique Weller 60watt soldering iron and managed to destroy the bit retaining collar. Looked on line and they have changed the model, so chances are a new collar/nut won't fit my old iron. After measuring the thread (3/8ths x 20tpi) I made a new collar.new_collar.jpg

The iron is at least 25 years old and is a bit like Triggers broom. Over the years it's had new mains cable, new handle, new element and numerous new tips. Having seen the price of a new iron, I will try and keep this one going as long as possible.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest