By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spring Tapping Guide
15/09/2019 13:36:07

dscf3274.jpgHi NDIY. The point isn't hardened. The oxide colours are a result of silver soldering the 10mm collar on the other end of the shaft.

edited to add photo

Edited By Anthony Knights on 15/09/2019 13:45:23

14/09/2019 08:04:27

I made a spring centre using a MT2 blank. Just swop with the chuck when it needs to be used.spring centre.jpg

Thread: CRT Free!
13/09/2019 09:13:02

Not sure if the decorative glass is a good idea as there some exotic materials in the phosphors which produced the colours.

Thread: Fitzroy storm glass
06/09/2019 08:25:40

I believe in my first post I said I was making it as a "novelty".

I have calculated with my rusty maths that adding 33ml of meths or similar. to 100ml of 40% vodka should give me the correct ABV of 54.8%. A good excuse to buy a bottle of decent vodka anyway.

05/09/2019 06:40:24

This is turning into a major research project. Checked up on bio ethanol. Seems to be 97% ethanol with the remainder presumably additives to prevent people drinking it. Virtually identical to meths (without the dye?)

Isopropyl alcohol has virtually the same density as ethanol, but nearly twice the viscosity. It's molar mass (molecular weight?) is bigger (ethanol 46.069, isopropyl alcohol 60.069). How these differences would alter the precipitation or crystalisation process in the mixture,I don't know. It's nearly 60 years since I did my Chemistry A levels.

Now is the time for some empirical design work AKA suck it and see.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 05/09/2019 06:55:20

04/09/2019 16:44:05

Googled Polish Spirit and found 2 sites selling it with an ABV of 95%. At £30+ a bottle I'll try the other options first.

04/09/2019 16:23:00

Thank you for the replies.

I have checked the local stores and the strongest vodka I can find is 40% ABV. The ratio in the storm glass recipe is 40ml ethanol, 33ml water, which I work out to needing a vodka with an alcohol content of almost 55%. I need to research "Polish Spirit" which has a high alcohol content, allegedly to stop it freezing in their winters.

I had to go to the local chemists today to collect some medication, so bought a bottle of Surgical Spirit while I was there. I will try that and if it doesn't work I'll try the bleached meths.

Potassium nitrate is available on the net as a meat preservative and is also probably in the local garden centre.

I suppose mixing ammonium nitrate and potassium chloride would give the same mix of ions.

04/09/2019 09:23:17

Although this isn't strictly model engineering, I am hoping some of the clever people on here can provide an answer. For a novelty, I intend building a "Fitztroy" storm glass.**LINK**

Among other things I require 40ml of ethanol. The smallest quantity I can find on Ebay is 500ml. I am concerned that if I order this, it it will either be confiscated by Customs as it enters the country or I will be stuck with a big bill for Excise Duty, VAT etc.

I have looked at Surgical Spirit, which is similar to methylated spirits without the colouring. It can also contain other additives. Does anyone think this stuff would work?

Thread: Glass cutting
28/08/2019 08:35:19

lamp1.jpgIf you have one, I would go for the diamond wheel tile cutter, to cut the bottle. On this relatively new miners lamp the wall thickness of the glass is just under 5mm.lamp glass.jpg

Thread: be careful out there people!
26/08/2019 07:51:36

I was given the same advice when working as a TV service man, on the old LIVE chassis televisions.

Thread: Back issues to give away
24/08/2019 09:34:41

I'm pleased to say that a gentleman is calling tomorrow morning to collect the magazines I have on offer. I 'm so glad that someone else can use them as it would be tragic if I they had been destroyed. I did go through them all and scan a few items of interest that I hadn't already printed off. I now have projects to keep me going for quite some time.

23/08/2019 09:30:44

Because of lack of storage space, I am reluctantly having to get rid of my accumulated collection of "Model Engineers Workshop" magazines. These comprise all issues from Jan 2010 (159) to Dec 2018 (275). There are also odd issues from 2008 and 2009.

Before I take them to be recycled I am offering them for FREE to any one who wants to collect them. I am located between Leeds and Selby, about 2 miles from the A1/A63 junction. I will reply to the first person to send me a PM and arrange for them to collect these magazines.

Apologies to the moderators if this should have gone in the classified ads.

Thread: Babani Press
19/08/2019 03:18:13

Wonderful home site. I took Practical Electronics from it's first edition until some time in the eighties. I eventually had to give them away as they were taking up too much storage space. I didn't have the same scanning facilities I have now. so it's nice to be able to look at some of the old editions I used to have. I might even built some of the projects I couldn't afford at the time.

Thread: Heartbroken!
17/08/2019 08:52:33

Hi Norman. Hydrochloric acid is the main constituent of B&Q's Brick Cleaner.

Thread: strange power socket
15/08/2019 07:21:16

Thqnk you for the info Speedy Builder5. It seems to have been the first system with fuses in the plug. Looked at the plug museum site and after clicking on one picture, ended up on Ebay where there are numerous obsolete electrical fittings for sale. I wish I had known this back in 2016 when I binned a load of 13 amp plugs with un-shrouded pins.

15/08/2019 06:49:05

I did google "Wylex" and got their site which obviously shows their present (was going to put current) products.

15/08/2019 02:53:56

Found this in a box of electrical bits. It's about the same size as a 13 amp socket. It must be quite old because the screw (there should be 2) holding the two parts together is 1/8th inch x 40 tpi. I was wondering if it lost out to the 13 amp socket when the when we changed from the 15 amp round pin plugs.socket1.jpg opened-1.jpg

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
14/08/2019 08:49:36

It has just been on the news that the Lib Dems want 80% renewable electicity generation soon. In view of what has been said above, plus two recent threads on electric cars, I have a sense of impending disaster. I currently have a solid fuel central heating system which is on the verge of being converted to gas, Both systems need electricity to run, so perhaps I should consider getting a suitably sized standby generator. I will also be keeping the old solid fuel stove (less boiler) so I will still have some chance of keeping warm when the power cuts occur.

Thread: Black Oxide coating
11/08/2019 22:51:43

For blackening steel my choice is used cooking oil as there are fewer nasty chemicals in it compared to old engine oil.

Speelwork, it's possible your screws were either stainless steel or bright zinc plated.

Thread: Serious question, What is a Mini Lathe?
06/08/2019 19:31:10

Hi there Nick Clark 3. My first SLR camera was a Russian Zenit which I bought at a second hand shop after going to my first air show and found my ordinary camera wasn't up to the job. Upgraded to a Minolta clone and eventually an actual Minolta (still manual with no fancy auto focus etc). Eventually stopped going to air shows when no new aircraft were on display. I have still got all the kit although is now obsolete. The most spectacular photo I took is below, taken with a 500mm telephoto lens with a X2 multiplier, which accounts for the poor focus.iatmigs.jpg

Apologies for  thread drift .

Edited By Anthony Knights on 06/08/2019 19:32:19

Edited By Anthony Knights on 06/08/2019 19:41:42

Edited By Anthony Knights on 06/08/2019 19:42:59

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest