By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
14/10/2020 10:33:49

**LINK**

Thread: Grumpy old men
11/10/2020 16:44:32

You plant BULBS in the garden to grow daffodils, tulips, onions etc. You plug LAMPS into light sockets. I really hate the supermarkets, where you have to buy a pack of three leeks, courgettes or whatever when you only need ONE. Also "offer", £2 each, 2 for £3.00. I will not continue any further as I will probably get banned.

Thread: Engineering Sights on Google Streetview
10/10/2020 11:37:10

Ten years ago, I was visiting my son in Australia. He lives outside Darwin near a place called Humpty Doo and the subject of the photos was on private property at the side of the road, near where my son was living. I can't find it on Google street view, but I'm either looking in the wrong place or it's no longer there.

1engine.jpg

2engine.jpg

Thread: New Energy Supplier Companies
05/10/2020 09:08:06

Last year, I had a problem with my Gas supplier which they appeared unable to resolve. I eventually lost patience with them and referred the matter to the Ombudsman. The problem was swiftly sorted out and I received £30 compensation. The Ombudsman CAN deal with individual cases. It's what he's there for, so send the details of your complaint to him.

Google "Energy Ombudsman" for details.

Best of luck Anthony.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 05/10/2020 09:11:14

Thread: Awstin or Ostin
05/10/2020 08:28:46

Two place names from East Anglia. Wymondham and Happisburgh. I leave it to you to work out the correct pronunciation.

Thread: Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues
03/10/2020 08:08:50

Lighten up guys. Life's too short.

teddies.jpg

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
01/10/2020 19:59:20

I have made a start on the "Grasshopper" engine by Stewart Hart after he kindly emailed me the plans. So far I have completed the horizontal beam assembly.beam assy.jpg

Thread: Where's this rust come from ?
01/10/2020 08:48:37

cabinet.jpgI have an identical tool chest (Machine Mart), which I bought to store my measuring equipment. It is kept in the house as my workshop has a damp problem in the winter. I have had no issues with rust, so perhaps it is the location of your chest rather than the chest itself.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 01/10/2020 09:00:32

Thread: WHY THE TANG?
16/09/2020 09:34:48

Tapers are ejected by the screw on my mini lathe tail stock. In order to get maximum travel on it, I have cut the tangs off all the tail stock tooling. The mini mill/drill uses a 10mm drawbar and has been modified to be self ejecting. No tangs needed.

Thread: Missing magazine?
16/09/2020 09:25:44

I have just looked at the back issues with a view to buying Model Engineer issue 4646 which for some reason was not available in the local W H Smiths, but it's not there either. Is there any special reason for this? I'm very disappointed as I was going to make the beam engine my next project.

Thread: BSF and Whitworth "Across the flats " sizes.
16/09/2020 09:02:13

Posted by S.O.D 15/09/2020

I suppose we have to live with the nuisance. Just as hex heads started to become more rational, a huge number of different screw drives have sprouted. JIS, Torx, Phillips, Posidrive, Tri-wing, Hex, Frearson, Double Square, the list seems endless. It's very annoying. Clutch is my favourite - can't be undone!

Don't get me started about them. Introduced mainly by car makers to make life difficult for people who didn't want to pay brain surgeon rates to have their car serviced at a main dealer. I have a box of splines, torx bits, star drives and numerous other "specials" which were bought to do a particular job and have never seen the light of day since.

15/09/2020 09:47:27

The only oddball size I have come across is some thin M8 lock nuts which need a 14mm spanner. Mind you, I gave up messing about inside cars over 10 years ago, so have missed out on the joys of many sized bolt heads.

I thought that ISO stood for INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS ORGANISATION or something to that effect.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 15/09/2020 09:51:12

15/09/2020 08:24:43

Many years ago I bought a set of 12 metric open ended spanners with jaw sizes ranging from 6 to 32 mm. This thread has made me look at the ISO standard for metric hex head sizes. Out of the 24 different ends on my spanners, only 11 sizes match the standard, leaving 13 ends and 3 complete spanners redundant. It seems to be a strange "standard " to me.

My Whit/BSF spanners are double ended, and the large end of one matches the smaller end of the next size up. This means you always have a pair of spanners the same size (except for the smallest and biggest size of course). A couple of correctly sized sockets sorts that out.

Thread: Soldering aluminium
08/09/2020 09:29:38

I found this in my drawer of soldering stuff. I've had it for a few years and haven't tried it lately, so I don't know if it still works. I haven't checked the RS site to see if they still sell it.ally_solder.jpg

Thread: Stainless steel
28/08/2020 08:26:26

+1 for the Ecotank. I've had one for about 18 months and still using original ink bottles.

Thread: Mini lathe blown fuses and Motor overheating
27/08/2020 08:52:10

It is possible to check the operation of the control circuit by fitting a 60 watt INCANDESCENT lamp (if you can still get one) in place of the motor. The speed control should vary the brightness of the lamp if working properly. There have been a whole series of posts regarding the CL300 lathe and its clones. Find these by putting CL300 in the search box at the top of this thread. Good luck.

Thread: Do you clean the workshop up every day?
23/08/2020 12:12:05

Sometimes you HAVE to clean up as you work.

swarf.jpg

Thread: Twerps with hats on back to front and no front number plates
18/08/2020 10:33:35

ye-haaa to that!

Thread: capacitor droppers and power factor
18/08/2020 09:02:59

Low current yes. I recently looked inside a defunct central heating controller. I was basically one large chip, LCD display and a small relay providing a set of change over contacts to the outside world. The whole thing was powered from the mains via a capacitor/resistor potential divider, rectifier and possibly a zener diode. I didn't investigate further as it was dead, so it went for electrical goods recycling.

The main problem has usually been, as stated above, inductive loads such as washing machines, vacuum cleaners and men with industrial machine tools tucked away in their sheds. There is also (according to what I have read) a problem with distortion of the sine wave caused by millions of switched mode power supplies, where the rectifiers all star to conduct towards the peak of the cycle as they top up the reservoir capacitors. I don't know how true this is, as there have always been rectifier circuits used on the mains supply. Maybe not so many.

Thread: Twerps with hats on back to front and no front number plates
18/08/2020 07:54:38

The question is

1 Does wearing it back to front lower the IQ? or

2 Is the persons IQ such, that they cannot work out which way round it goes?

Having said that, I have on rare occasions worn one with the peak at the back, purely to keep the sun off my neck.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest