By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coal being phased out
22/02/2020 07:55:55

What happens to the smoke that is not in "smokeless"coal?

Thread: Encryption software
16/02/2020 08:24:31

It has never seen sensible to me, to keep your computer passwords in your computer where they can possibly be hacked. I cannot remember mine, so they are written down in an A5 ring binder so I can easily change individual pages when I change passwords. I live on my own and the book is in a safe place, but easily accessible when I need it. Lets see if the nerds can hack my notebook.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 16/02/2020 08:27:32

Thread: mystery file
15/02/2020 23:54:37

Thank you everyone who replied.

15/02/2020 16:48:04

file1.jpgThis used to be my Dad's and I've had it for years, but never knew what it was for. Some one on here will probably know. It's the same on both sides and has one safe edge. The writing at the top looks like "Dreadnought". Sorry for the poor quality photos.file2.jpg

Thread: Blueing (blacking) steel
14/02/2020 08:50:34

Potassium Nitrate is available as a meat preservative. It is probably on a watch list, and there could be consequences if you order large amounts. As to the method, I don't fancy using boiling solutions containing sodium hydroxide. Call me "chicken" if you wish.

Thread: Log in
13/02/2020 10:35:01

I use Linux Ubuntu with Firefox browser. I usually stay logged in unless I don't visit the site for several days, in which case I find I have been logged out. I have never checked to find out precisely how long this is. It doesn't bother me as I only need to log in if I want to make a post.

Thread: Old Computers - why do people bother
04/02/2020 07:44:51

Todays computers might all be bigger, better and faster, but I still type at the same speed as when I had a windows 95 machine.

03/02/2020 10:53:15

I have just been looking up minimum system requirements for various Windows operating systems to see how bloated the latest systems are.

Windows 98SE- 200MB hard drive. Windows 2000- 2GB hard drive. Windows 10- 20 GB hard drive

Installation discs Windows 98SE, 2000 and XP all fitted on a CD, although win2000 and XP had to crush the data into CAD files in order to get them to fit.

Vista needed a DVD and win7 at 5.1 GB needed a dual layer DVD when I made a backup. It's probably all gone to USB memory sticks now. God knows how big the windows 10 installation file is.

Every tine Microsoft brought out a new system, it all changed changed and you spent weeks finding out where they had moved everything. I'm sorry but I have just got fed up with constant battle to keep up. I don't like windows 10 and get by with Linux for the internet and Win7 or XP for printers and old windows programs.

Thread: Left handed lathe.
01/02/2020 10:53:15

Because the majority of the population is right handed, I assume this is the reason every lathe I know of has the headstock on the left. If the majority of people were left handed, would lathes have the headstock on the right? Also, would a "normal" screw thread be left handed?

Thread: Win10
31/01/2020 10:37:07

I have tried installing Office 97 on Win7 and Win10 machines and it worked OK. You can't beat having the original installation disks. On the Windows 7 system, I have disabled the ethernet and network devices to stop it going on line, because when it updates, it stops some other programs working properly. I use it in a dual boot configuration with Linux Ubuntu. This can go on line and can also access the Windows files, which comes in handy sometimes.

Thread: Home made T&C jig
30/01/2020 14:14:48

Hi Clive. I had to machine new dovetails on the part where the vice fitted, in order to get the milling table to fit. The travel on here is really smooth. I did detail the process in last years workshop progress posts.https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/members/postings.asp?p=2

I replaced the gib strip and adjusting screws on the Y motion and that is now quite smooth and wobble free. The leadscrew is a bit coarse though (8TPI or 3mm pitch), although with the grinder being mounted on a turntable, it helps when moving from one configuration to the other. I'm in the process of rebuilding it on a new baseboard as I had to make several modifications to the assembly, because of the lower height of the ex-milling table.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 30/01/2020 14:20:39

Thread: Ink jet printer woes
30/01/2020 09:42:09

I have found that Epson printer software tends to tell lies when you are not using epson ink cartridges. I bought a small electronic scale to weigh allegedly empty cartridges and often they still contained quite a lot of ink. I now have one of their "eco" models with the refillable ink tanks. I will have to see how long that lasts.

With really cheap inkjet printers, the new ink cartridges can cost as much, if not more than the price of the printer.

Thread: Avast Anti virus
29/01/2020 22:05:09

I use Linux OS, Duckduckgo search engine and Firefox Web browser. Am I paranoid?

Thread: Home made T&C jig
29/01/2020 21:42:23

Nothing wrong with using a cross vice to get the X-Y movement you require. No point in using expensive precision devices when you're going to spray them with abrasive dust. I have used one for years. I recently removed the vice and fitted a T slotted table which became available when I upgraded my mini mill/drill. I am presently rebuilding the whole grinder assembly.assembled1.jpggrinding rest1.jpggrinding rest2.jpgmilling_cutter.jpgprecision.jpg

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
29/01/2020 09:06:58

Made these what I presume are called T bolts, from some redundant 8mm coach bolts. Turned down the threaded 8mm part to 6mm and cut a new thread. Then milled flats on the sides of the bolt heads so they would fit in the T slots of the table I will be using on a tool and cutter grinder I am rebuilding.t_bolts.jpg

Thread: Morse Taper Removal
25/01/2020 11:32:07

You could always make something similar to this **LINK**

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 17:57:12

I cannot believe this subject has run to three pages. Welding involves melting the adjacent parts of the parts to be joined and when they cool they are attached. I am rubbish at welding.

Soldering, be it Tin/ lead alloy, alloy containing silver or brass all join metals by alloying with them at a temperature below the melting point of the metals you are joining together. The only difference between the various processes is the temperature at which this is done and the soldering rod used. Done this with soft solder and silver solder. Not tried brass as I have had no reason to do so.

Thread: Watch servicing
06/01/2020 07:30:51

I haven't worn a watch since I got my first mobile phone.

Thread: Win10
26/12/2019 08:25:01

Danny M2Z you have a message in your in box

Thread: fitting new heating thermostat
25/12/2019 06:23:45

My recently installed gas central heating has a portable thermostat with a radio link to the boiler. It does however read 2 degrees higher than any of the thermometers I have in the house. I wonder if it has been "adjusted " by the eco-police.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest