By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Apprentice Pieces
18/09/2018 12:15:56

I still have a depth gauge, set square and tap wrench, which I made as an apprentice many years ago. Does anyone know of a book or other source of drawings for items produced as learning exercises by engineering apprentices in days gone by?

Thread: Beer and Grapefruit
15/09/2018 13:33:47

I live a few miles from Tadcaster where there are THREE breweries. One was Bass which is now owned by Coors. The second is John Smiths, now owned by Heineken Carling or some such conglomerate. The third is Sam Smiths, an independent brewery currently owned by the somewhat eccentric Humphrey Smith, Eccentric he may be, but he only uses malt, hops and water from the brewerie's own well, to make his beer. The beer is also sold at least £1 cheaper than any one else. Unfortunately the local Sam Smiths pub is closed for refurbishment at the moment, so I'm having to drink the rival stuff.

They also sell several flavors of Belgian style fruit beer in bottles. Not tried it myself as fruity beer just doesn't appeal to me.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 15/09/2018 13:38:37

Thread: New Workshop
15/09/2018 12:53:47

It's alright for people in certain parts of the world who have plenty of space. My son lives near Darwin in Australia and his "garden shed" is bigger than my house. He isn't a model engineer. In the UK I have to make do in a 10 by 20 ft garage. With a bench either side and storage racks, I can fit in a mini lathe, a small mill/drill on one side and a bench drill and home made tool grinder on the other. What available space is left has to be used for everything else. Operations involving large amounts of sawdust are done outside.

Thread: Is there a new standard for taps?
02/09/2018 11:49:05

The first set of metric taps I bought (3 to 12 mm) were serial type with the blank, single and double grooved shanks.

Never had a problem using them and even though I've had them for 10 years I've not broken one yet, Probably tempting fate putting that !

Thread: Cyclone Vacuum Separator
02/09/2018 11:27:30

This from Machine Mart could be a possibility. Vac hose fits in 2nd hole in lid.ashcan.jpg

Edited By Anthony Knights on 02/09/2018 11:29:39

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
16/07/2018 13:40:59

Greetiigs everybody.

Today is the first time I've been able to log on for 11 weeks because I've just been quite seriously ill in hospital for that time. They now consider me well enough to come home to recuperate. My only means of transport is a Zimmer Frame and a wheelchair s II don't see me doing much in the workshop for a while. I'm currently looking through this site and catching up on all the postings I've missed.

Thread: Your Facebook information
22/03/2018 16:20:53

I'm not on Facebook or any of the other Social Media sites. If I'm required to enter a Phone number I use the one on an old SIM I no longer use. Use "DUCK DUCK GO" on the internet, which allegedly doesn't track you.

Thread: high temperature lubrication
05/03/2018 11:46:14

Thank you for the replies. I do have some graphite powder for locks somewhere in the workshop, so I'll give that a try.

05/03/2018 11:23:30

The main heating source in my house is a large multi-fuel stove. This has recently developed annoying squeaks on both doors. Can anyone suggest a suitable lubricant for this area which gets very hot (150 to 250 degrees C)

Thread: LED lamp failure
16/12/2017 10:57:38

My bathroom light fitting is of the correct type for use in this location, with a rubber seal where the globe screws to the flush fitting ceiling mount. It has worked well over the years with both incandescent and minature fluorescent lamps.

I have cut one of the failed LED lamps open and found what appears to be a minature switched mode PCB which plugs into the LED array. I haven't tested it yet, but I suspect that it is this part of the device which fails.

13/12/2017 07:54:29

Earlier this year, I replaced most of the lighting in the house and the workshop with GLS type LED lamps. These are all working well, apart from the one in the bathroom, which I have just replaced for the third time. This tends to be switched on and off more frequently than any of the others. So, do these LED lamps not like frequent on/off cycling?

Thread: Funny Old World....
24/11/2017 11:51:31

Georgineer -Thank you for your helpful reply. I'm trying to blacken some nuts and bolts by heating them and dunking in oil, but the zinc plating is interfering with the process.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 24/11/2017 11:54:31

24/11/2017 09:32:21

Question about brick cleaner. Will it remove zinc plating from steel nuts and bolts ?

Thread: empty drill case
18/11/2017 17:14:21

Why not get a block of wood. Drill holes for each drill and use this to store them. So simple.

Thread: PSA - Daylight Savings: Check Detector Batteries & Extinguishers
07/11/2017 09:36:14

With BST it's dark in the mornings. With GMT it's dark in the evenings. Whats the point of mucking about with the clocks when you're still travelling in the dark at one time of the day or another.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 07/11/2017 09:40:16

Thread: BSF and Whitworth "Across the flats " sizes.
08/10/2017 10:35:05

All my Whit/BSF spanners (which date from my motorcycle days in the early 60's) are dual marked with the whitworth size being one smaller than the BSF. eg 5/16 whit also fits 3/8 BSF.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
05/10/2017 08:58:31

Whisky (without the "E" is made in Scotland.

Whiskey (with the "E" is made elsewhere.

Roy beat me to it.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 05/10/2017 08:59:36

Thread: A bit of humour
20/09/2017 21:15:16

choccybar.jpg

I KNOW CHOCCY BARS ARE GETTING SMALLER, BUT THIS IS REDICULOUS.

20/09/2017 21:05:49

Ianus.jpg                    ITS TRUE

Edited By Anthony Knights on 20/09/2017 21:07:50

Edited By Anthony Knights on 20/09/2017 21:08:36

Thread: 5 ft diameter copper rings.
10/09/2017 09:54:52

Has your friend been inspired by this - BIGG TESLA COIL OF OKLAHOMA ? (sorry, not sure how to post a link)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 5
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest