By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
27/03/2020 11:41:16

Another "round tuit" job. Made a new tool height gauge for my mini lathe.tool height gauge.jpg

Now off into the garden to clean the fish pond out.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 27/03/2020 11:42:37

26/03/2020 22:13:36

Today I finished the drill chuck removal gadget. The wing nuts work but look a bit naff, so I'll probably make some knurled finger nuts when I get around to it.clamp.jpg

Thread: Sanitizer
23/03/2020 05:40:33

Just a thought. I use Swarfega which seems to get rid of all sorts of oil, grease etc. Just wonder if it would dissolve the virus?

21/03/2020 21:15:42

The first "round tuit" project I've completed in the coronavirus lockdown. Fitted a box carrying terminal posts, fuse holders and indicating LEDS, to a spare PC power supply. I now have a bench power supply with 12, 5 and 3.3 volt outputs. Handy for electrolytic rust removal an electroplating.psu.jpg

Thread: Coronavirus
21/03/2020 19:01:09

Protection?protection.jpg

Thread: Drawing instruments
17/03/2020 18:39:03

I have a number of drawing instruments (compasses etc) that I have aquired over the years and actually used at one time. They range from cheap school sets to more expensive draughtsman type equipment. Over the years some of them have lost various bits which I would like to make replacements for, now I have a lathe. My question is, does any one know what threads were used?

Some of the cheaper ones seem to have threads ranging from M1.4 to M3 but my thread gauges don't seem to fit some of the others. I suppose they could be BA, because that's the only set of gauges I don't have. Any information will be appreciated.

16/03/2020 09:34:30

If you are going to catch the Coronavirus, now might be a good time as the Health service is not presently overwhelmed by thousands of cases as it may well be in a few weeks time. If I caught it when half the country was infected I would probably be put in a corner and left to die, The government would then say "Thats another £12.000 pension we won't have to pay next year". The insurance companies would also have to take my remaining private pension pots.

14/03/2020 07:00:17

Today, well it's yesterday now, I noticed the fan on the charger for my mobility scooter wasn't working. The batteries were charged and the charger seemed to be OK. It was quite cold in the conservatory where it was being used so it didn't overheat.

I had a look in the box of electronic bits and found a suitable sized fan on an old PC motherboard. This was used to replace the faulty one in the charger. It's now working fine.

This is probably one of the rare occasions where I have wanted some thing off a scrap item BEFORE throwing it away.

14/03/2020 06:30:05

The value of the small amount of shares I own has dropped dramatically due to the Corona Virus panic. I'm wondering if this would be a good time to buy some more.

Thread: Old model engineer magazines
12/03/2020 07:18:11

Last August I offered 8 years worth of MEW back issues on this site for free. A gentleman from Leeds responded and came and collected them. Prior to giving them away I went through them and scanned any articles of interest. Very pleased that someone else made use of them, rather than taking them to the tip.

Thread: A good toolpost drill design
04/03/2020 11:05:18

This is one I put together several years ago for a certain job. I don't think I've ever used it since then. The spindle, chuck and flexible drive came as a complete assembly, but I can't remember where I got it from. All I had to do was make the brackets to hold it in the tool post. It was driven with a portable electric drill held in a bench vice.tolpost_spindle.jpg

Thread: Coal being phased out
23/02/2020 19:25:23

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming it Mr Vintage Engineer.

Hopper. I'm not blaming anyone, merely stating an opinion.

23/02/2020 10:36:08

Neil's video shows a clip from "Soylent Green",which is a film based on the Harry Harrison book "Make Room, Make Room". This book is more about overpopulation, which in my opinion is the biggest threat to the planet. Climate change, may well be the planet's response to this threat.

Thread: What sort of things DO NOT inspire you
23/02/2020 08:18:08

With the right disc, angle grinders are great for cutting.chopsaw.jpg

Thread: Coal being phased out
22/02/2020 07:55:55

What happens to the smoke that is not in "smokeless"coal?

Thread: Encryption software
16/02/2020 08:24:31

It has never seen sensible to me, to keep your computer passwords in your computer where they can possibly be hacked. I cannot remember mine, so they are written down in an A5 ring binder so I can easily change individual pages when I change passwords. I live on my own and the book is in a safe place, but easily accessible when I need it. Lets see if the nerds can hack my notebook.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 16/02/2020 08:27:32

Thread: mystery file
15/02/2020 23:54:37

Thank you everyone who replied.

15/02/2020 16:48:04

file1.jpgThis used to be my Dad's and I've had it for years, but never knew what it was for. Some one on here will probably know. It's the same on both sides and has one safe edge. The writing at the top looks like "Dreadnought". Sorry for the poor quality photos.file2.jpg

Thread: Blueing (blacking) steel
14/02/2020 08:50:34

Potassium Nitrate is available as a meat preservative. It is probably on a watch list, and there could be consequences if you order large amounts. As to the method, I don't fancy using boiling solutions containing sodium hydroxide. Call me "chicken" if you wish.

Thread: Log in
13/02/2020 10:35:01

I use Linux Ubuntu with Firefox browser. I usually stay logged in unless I don't visit the site for several days, in which case I find I have been logged out. I have never checked to find out precisely how long this is. It doesn't bother me as I only need to log in if I want to make a post.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest