By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
26/09/2021 14:22:47

Avo meters might be loved by the purists, but they are a bit inconvenient to use, when you are 30ft up in a cherry picker basket, trying to sort out a microwave link.

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
22/09/2021 12:37:25

Also have a Fermi. Quite expensive, but worth every penny.

fermi.jpg

Thread: Back to Imperial
22/09/2021 12:31:57

At one time, measured pumps were introduced to serve beer into oversize glasses. ( exactly 1/2 pint at a time ) These proved to be unpopular with the licensees, as they couldn't make anything on the head. These days, at least around here, it's either hand pumps or free-flow into pint glasses. That way you get between one and two fluid ounces short of a pint and the pub makes more money. Probably doesn't apply down South where they like beer without a head.

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
22/09/2021 11:50:51

I can remember many years ago, visiting the then ICI site on Teeside and noticing that in the area surrounding the fertiliser plant, not even grass or weeds would grow.

Thread: Stuart engine paint colours
21/09/2021 17:53:43

Here's my beam engine painted in Red Lead Primer. Looks functional.dscf0008.jpg

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
21/09/2021 13:42:48
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 21/09/2021 10:36:23:

Back to the food shortage problem; Isn't it possible to change over to nitrogen in the packaging? I seem to remember that's what was used in the past.

More sensible than trying to extract CO2 from the air.

21/09/2021 08:31:07

Apparently, the carbon left over from the natural gas used to make ammonia (fertiliser) gives carbon dioxide used in the food industry. High gas price = shut down fertiliser plant = no CO2 = food shortage.

We have been told for years, that there is too much CO2 in the atmosphere, so why don't we extract it? The answer is probably that the actual amount is so miniscule at about 450 parts per million, that it's not an economic proposition.

I will now retire to my nuclear shelter.

Thread: Back to Imperial
18/09/2021 09:09:47

My current project is an model American civil war cannon. The drawings came off the internet and are in imperial fractions - an absolute nightmare. I am in the process of converting all the dimensions to millimetres, just to make life easier.

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
16/09/2021 10:27:08

There was talk of the EU banning high power electric kettles. As it takes the same amount of energy to boil a pint of water whether you have a 250 watt or 750 watt heater this seems a pretty pointless exercise to me. In fact a low power element will take longer and have more heat loss. Some times these politicians just don't think things through.

Thread: Myford ML7 accuracy
13/09/2021 18:06:28

I have had my Chinese lathe for 12 years and have only had one major problem when I blew the control PCB thanks to my own stupidity. This happened about 6 months after I got it and has worked fine ever since I replaced the PCB.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
10/09/2021 13:53:48

When I was working, the company issued the engineers with "Fluke" meters. When I retired, mine had to be returned, so I bought this one from Maplin for about £20 at the time. Since then I have not noticed a difference in performance between this and the Fluke. The same model is currently on sale at Amazon for about £45.meter2.jpg

At the other extreme is this one, which also came from Maplin and on Amazon at the princely sum of £9.99

meter1.jpg

I can't remember how much I paid for it but not a lot. It is very similar in size and shape to the first moving coil meter I ever got (now long gone)

Thread: Astronomy/cosmology
09/09/2021 11:19:55

For anyone interested in the above, I have come across the following U-tube site which has a series of lectures and links on the subject.**LINK**

WARNING.I have just lost a full morning watching some of these videos.

Thread: small white spots
27/08/2021 09:33:36

Thanks Russell

Anthony

26/08/2021 11:25:02

Hi there Dave. Just tried removing and then re installing Firefox as per your instructions, but the little swines are till there. I am still learning about Linux command line and actually have the terminal icon in my favourites list. Are you or anyone else able to recommend a suitable book to learn more from.

Thanks Anthony

26/08/2021 08:35:02

Writing this from windows 10 using firefox on the same computer and there is no sign of the white pixels. Possibly need to re install ubuntu?

From a puzzled Anthony

26/08/2021 08:04:07

Hi all. The white pixels actually scroll with the green bars so it's not a faulty screen. I will have to boot the windows 10 partition and see what happens with that.

25/08/2021 18:27:03

As an experiment, I tried switching the enhanced tracking protection OFF for this site and it did not appear to make any difference. It's back on now.

25/08/2021 17:53:41

Hi Michael. Why didn't I think of that. Anyway here it is. Apologies for photo quality.spots.jpg

25/08/2021 17:15:52

Must be me. I've got everything set to "strict" security settings. I have just taken a screen shot and they are not visible on that, although they are still there when I view normally.

25/08/2021 10:01:28

Is there any reason for the small white squares and dashes in the green headers on some of the posts. Some flash on and off and others are there all the time. Has any one else noticed this or is it just me?

I am using Firefox on a Linux Ubuntu machine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest