By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scalped on my doorstep - it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
06/06/2021 08:30:20

I have a video doorbell/intercom. If I get an unknown caller, I can see who it is and speak to them without going to the door. Potential scammers can be told I am disabled (true). Unable to come to the door ( not true) and that I don't have any money in the house (big lie). The door is locked so they get the message and try else where.

Thread: Amnesiac Remember Me?
03/06/2021 12:41:29

If I did get broken into and robbed, I think the robber would be more interested in grabbing the laptop and a few other portable valuables and leaving as quickly as possible. He would hardly be likely to go raking through bookshelves of catalogues and manuals on the off chance he would find anything useful.

Try putting a password on the actual hard drive and then put that in another machine. When I tried it I was asked for the hard drive password before the operating system would boot. The way round that is to do a quick format (from Linux) and then use a software file recovery tool to restore the files.

My latest PC which came with Windows 10 has a thing called "bitlocker" which I believe encrypts the hard drive. This has a 48 digit recovery code, so I'm hoping that would be secure enough for you.

Anthony

03/06/2021 08:44:29

My Password Manager is an A5 ringbinder. Keeping passwords on the computer is a bit like leaving the keys for the safe in an envelope on top of said safe.

Edited By Anthony Knights on 03/06/2021 08:49:11

Thread: Axminster C1 lathe accessories
03/06/2021 07:59:53

Machine Mart used to sell a version of this machine and I did buy a cross slide from them ( as part of a tool and cutter grinder I was building). They have discontinued selling the lathe but they may possibly still have a cross slide in stock? Otherwise, Jason's suggestion is your best bet.

Thread: Can one buy pliers with parallel jaws that lock like mol
28/05/2021 11:38:06
Posted by John Smith 47 on 27/05/2021 14:28:13:

General comment:
Nobody is forcing any of you to read this thread!
All your criticisms about me/my motives are worthless.
I repeat: If you don't enjoy the conversation please don't engage in it.

Understood. You are unique as being the only person in in the entire universe to go on my"Ignore Member" list.

26/05/2021 16:32:43

Personally, I think this guy is a wind-up merchant who's extracting the urine. He has come up with objections for every sensible suggestion made by people on this forum. If he's that desperate and genuine about what he wants, he should design something himself. How about this?

mini vice.jpg

If he replies, there's bound to be something wrong with it.

Thread: Some help needed with threads
20/05/2021 08:16:49
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 19/05/2021 20:04:09:
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 19/05/2021 09:54:29:

The SO239 connectors are a blast from the past, must be 40 odd years since I've used one. smile

Andrew

Still standard fare on almost all modern Ham Transceivers , not only on the HF Antenna connection, but even on VHF and UHF - in fact, the SO239 was known as a UHF connector..

Used on most CCTV equipment in the '70's and early 80's, until increasing miniaturisation caused a change to BNC connectors.

Thread: Can 2 people use the same mobile with NHS Covid app?
18/05/2021 09:05:52

I have two cheap mobile phones (not "Smart Phones" ). One is for "normal" use with a with held number. The second one has the number I give to internet sites which insist I give them one, but it spends most of it's time switched off.

Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
18/05/2021 08:47:10

I have found a trigger lock is useful in this situation.chopsaw.jpg

Thread: miniature copper pipe
12/05/2021 08:03:21

That's me sorted. It's confirmed that my tube is the correct size and thanks to Jim, I now know what fittings to order, should I decide to use them. I must also remember, that should I do any more plumbing work in my house, I will be working with copper TUBE, not PIPE!

Thank you all who contributed.

Anthony

Thread: What to do when you lose something
11/05/2021 17:07:48

I have heard a story that the sale of vegetable peelers plummeted when they started making them with brightly coloured handles.

Thread: miniature copper pipe
11/05/2021 16:59:27

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Jim

Anthony

11/05/2021 11:05:15

Hi Hopper. I was aware that BSP is specified by bore, but I wasn't aware of the difference between "tube" and "pipe". To me they both had holes down the middle. The old Imperial system defined size by bore but when we went metric, just to be awkward, they changed it to OD. Thus the difference between 1/2" pipe OD and 15mm is so small that you can join them with a 15mm compression fitting, provided you use a slightly differently size olive for the 1/2" end.

If it turns out that the actual 1/8" fittings look too cumbersome and out of scale, I may just solder the ends and use some suitable sized hex bar to make dummy nuts.

Anthony

11/05/2021 10:34:04

Thanks guys. If you see my first post, you will see I was already aware of the discrepancy with the BSP specification and the size of pipe (1/8" ) OD which I have. This was one reason for asking the original question. I have been on the internet for ages, looked at loads of different sites, but nowhere can I find the AF size of the nuts used on the 1/8" fittings. The threads seem to be either 7/32" or 1/4" x 40 tpi. Jim has mentioned 1/4" x40tpi so that must be it. Still don't know what size hex bar to order. I may have to order some nuts and measure them.

Anthony

Stupid smiley thing deleted

Edited By Anthony Knights on 11/05/2021 10:35:14

11/05/2021 09:25:07

Thank you all.

I have looked on the Macc Models site and that is the type of stuff I'm looking for, although not much in 1/8" sizes. I now know what I'm looking for, so I can search else where. If all else fails I can order a 1/8" tap and die, some brass hex bar and make the fittings myself. Both 1/8" whit and ME are 40tpi while 1/8" BSP is shown as 28tpi. Personally, I think the finer thread would look better so I'll go for that. Just got to trawl the internet to find the correct AF size for the hex bar.

10/05/2021 11:29:07

I have now got to the stage with my latest build where plumbing the steam ( or in my case, air) is involved. I do have some small copper pipe but am unsure of the actual size. The OD is 3.192 mm, which is just a bit over 1/8th of an inch. The bore was checked using drill shanks and is between 1.9mm (go) and 2mm (no-go). This is about 5/64 of an inch.

I always understood that imperial copper pipes were specified by their bore. Does this change when the smaller sizes are involved?

pipe.jpg

Is my pipe an actual "proper" size? I can't remember where it came from because I've had it for so long. The item I'm building does specify 1/8" pipe and the related holes are 3mm so it's close.

Finally, what type of fittings are available for this sized pipe and could someone point me towards a source, even if I have to buy correctly dimensioned pipe. Thank you in advance gentlemen.

Anthony

Edited By Anthony Knights on 10/05/2021 11:32:08

Thread: T Handle Allen Key Sets
10/05/2021 09:48:11
Posted by Journeyman on 09/05/2021 09:38:33:

That's a neat idea. How did you secure the hex key into the handle? Would make a good beginners project.

John

Beginners project is correct. I made them over 10 years ago when I first started. Handles are drilled with a hole the same size as the hex AF size and the key ( with the angled piece cut off) knocked or pressed into the hole. I wasn't sure at the time, how successful it would be, but they have lasted all this time. The 6mm one is used all the time on my mini-lathe tool post. A good exercise in basic turning and cross drilling.

09/05/2021 08:19:21

I made my set myself (because I could).t handle wrenches.jpg

Thread: Vitamin B12 / Pernicious Anaemia
05/05/2021 09:31:31

A few years ago, I used to have the B12 injections. That has now changed and I have tablets of cyanobalamin (B12) which I have to take daily. I don't know what the difference is.

Thread: Repair It? Wossat Mean, Like?
04/05/2021 11:44:21

Back in the 1980's we had a "Hotpoint" washing machine which had a wireing diagram on the inside of the top cover.

Some 20 years later I was trying to get service information about a washer with an Italian sounding name, only to find that they would only supply service information to their official agents.

Nowdays, most white goods are built down to a price, with paper thin panels and cheapest possible bearings etc. With a bit of luck they will last just beyond the warrentry period, at which point it is usually as cheap to buy a new machine as have the old one repaired.

I really hope the "Right to repair" movement really takes off as it sickens me to see some of the repairable stuff that gets scrapped.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest