By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Johnson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Johnson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aldi bargain laser level
16/07/2019 00:11:30
Posted by RMA on 15/07/2019 23:27:58:

I'm all for a bit of banter.....but rudeness is quite unacceptable. This is a great forum and there's a wealth of knowledge and experience just for the asking. No one knows everything, so for the few that appear to spoil things, please stop. The original poster was pleased to share his experience at Aldi and good luck to him and I hope the final project is a success. It didn't warrant all the opinions on the product.....he didn't ask for that!

I've said my bit and I will refrain from responding to any further negative comments.

Thanks RMA I tried my best to get my original post back on track! But 3 pages and over 2500 views! best £3.49 I ever spent! laugh

Ian

15/07/2019 21:36:12

Ah ha! After a rummage around in my camera bag I found the 5/8" to 1/4" adaptor I made for fitting on the surveying posts. It is indeed 5/8" UNC. I can sleep easy now! laugh

20190715_200058[1].jpg

15/07/2019 20:03:08
Posted by Clive Hartland on 14/07/2019 08:29:02:

Standard Instrument securing thread in the UK is 5/8" x 11 Tpi. Whit. form. There is another US style at 11/16 " x 11 Tpi. This is mainly used in Aircraft building, test equipment.. Also some military applications, just to be awkward I think.

I give up! I'm going to make my own standards! I had a quick Google for 5/8" to 1/4" adaptors and got loads of 5/8" x 27 tpi for microphones, but I'll still stick with my theory that 5/8" x UNC is a standard for surveying stuff , in the UK at least!

And as for acronyms, two common ones when I was on the tools were 'US' (Un-serviceable) and 'MT' (empty) usually written in chalk.

Ian

12/07/2019 23:47:17

Yes it is rubbish but I suppose we all buy some rubbish at some point in our lives, last week I bought a pack of 'Deluxe' biscuits ... I ate one and they were disgusting so the rest went in the bin! 3 quid wasted! I can guarantee the tripod and level will last a lot longer and be more useful than the biscuits, and probably taste nicer too! laugh

Thread: V-Twin 100cc Design & Build
11/07/2019 22:16:22

This is a great project, looking forward to seeing it all come together and running.

Thread: Aldi bargain laser level
11/07/2019 21:48:25

Thread mystery solved! I checked it again and paid a bit more attention this time! It's actually a very bad cast plastic M16 x 2mm pitch at 15.25 mm dia nowhere near 16mm or 5/8" diameter come to think of it! dont know

I wrongly assumed tripod fittings were imperial thread sizes like camera mounts. Although I am pretty certain I machined an adaptor for theodolite survey posts, which were used to check a massive bridge being built locally, which had a 5/8" UNC stud on top of them to accept a 1/4" x 20 camera mount many years ago.

Ian

11/07/2019 20:53:06
Posted by Barnaby Wilde on 11/07/2019 20:27:14:

Laser levelling caused a revolution in sooo many areas of my life, I remember authorising the purchase of a site level for £18k back in the 80's.

Forgive me, but how does this qualify as a laser level?

The laser will point a straight line but it seems to rely on the good 'ole bubble in the glass.

What will happen when I rotate it 180deg ???

£18,000!!!! Wow! Quick question is the 5/8" x 13 a standard thread for survey equipment?

The instructions are pretty good as to getting it level, but I'm not bothered because I am pretty certain I won't be using it as a laser level! For £3.49 I got a cheap and cheerful tripod which I can use for my camera or phone, and a spirit level (with a built in laser beam!) and the bubble has a built in magnifier too which is cool.

Last week they had the last one of their table top band saws in a battered box, I was going to ask the price but I haven't got the room for a band saw. It probably would have sold for 20 quid or so too!

Ian

11/07/2019 13:55:18

I love a bargain and this morning I picked up this laser level and tripod for £3.49 at the local Aldi store. Should be £14.99. It's not very sturdy but could come in handy as a camera tripod, just needs a little thread converter making from the weird 5/8" x 13tpi to 1/4" x20tpi. UK only they must be getting rid of the stock I think.20190711_130928.jpg

Thread: Beamish Museum
08/07/2019 18:56:56

Something for everyone at Beamish. Steam and tram enthusiasts are well catered for. And the £19 ticket gives you a year long entry and you can hop on and off the trams and buses included in the price! Bargain!

PS. I can also recommend a visit to Cragside, the home of engineer William Armstrong, famous for his hydraulics which power the London Tower Bridge. First house in the world to be powered by hydro electric power! The house is stunning.

Ian

20190626_140921.jpg20190626_141456.jpg

08/07/2019 00:21:44

Visited Beamish Living Museum last week for the first time, and what an amazing place it is! Located near to Durham in the UK it houses living exhibits of town life in a 1820's mining village and 1900's and 1940's towns, they're even building a 1950's town too.

But hidden away are a few machine tools. The little lathe is a 'Super Adept', and the belt driven planer is really cute! I haven't seen a one as small as this before, no idea what make it is though!

Ian

20190626_142015[1].jpg20190626_122104[1].jpg20190626_122040[1].jpg

Thread: Sieg KX1 next step
03/07/2019 21:27:18

I have a KX1 and find that it is happy cutting most material ..... but only after I fiddle around with the speeds and feeds to get it sounding and feeling okay, starting off nice and slow. It is after all a little diddy hobby machine and should be treated as such.

I find all the speed and feed tables are absolutely meaningless for a machine this size, maybe if I was making a thousand off pieces I might, just might, look at feed and speed tables. But until then nah!

Ian

Thread: How to machine Acetal
17/06/2019 00:41:14

Hi Martin I get those tips from JB Cutting Tools. They usually have a stall or two at classic bike shows (Stafford), steam fairs or model engineering shows. I think you can order on-line too although I haven't tried that yet. I don't know the technical specification for the tips, but if you ask Jenny she will give you the same ones, very good quality. About £3.50 each Silver or Gold I think they are the same spec, gold is prettier though!

Ian

16/06/2019 21:58:42
Posted by AdrianR on 16/06/2019 10:18:40:

Well it turned out OK in the end, I made a couple of mistakes which ruined the finish in places, but I am happy with it.

I rounded the part that broke and the camera angle makes it look a lot longer,

dscf0961.jpg

That turned out nice. Looks like a very aggressive square thread! And there is always more than one way to get the job done.

I tend to use tips with a good positive top rake for all my general machining these days, and apart from form tools I try to avoid grinding HSS, it's just too messy!!!. My favourite tips are these DCMT 070204 with the ground/polished finish, they will machine anything, brass, aluminium, steel etc. and are very good on plastic especially Acetal.

Ian

Carbide tips

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 16:51:44

I've got no problem with water companies charging for water that I use. And they make it perfectly clear that the water charges relate to fresh water supplied in their pipes and sewage water taken away in their pipes. If my house wasn't connected to their pipes and was off grid I wouldn't get any water Bills

16/06/2019 13:52:48

No problem with water harvesting in NW England, we went to the southport flower show last year and came back with a 300 litre water butt, free gratis from United Utilities! Who also supply our water which is the best in country, coming from lake vrynwy and the river Dee.

Ian

Thread: Acetal Faced Machinist Hammer
04/06/2019 17:26:18

Yes HDPE is good for a hammer head, years ago I made a small machinists hammer with a brass head and the other head was made from PTFE (Teflon) both held in by two small grub screws, occasionally need tightening up but works very well, the PTFE is especially good at not marking delicate components.

Ian

Thread: Hi and GMT Question
04/06/2019 16:33:12

Nice one Mark don't forget to show us piccies of the workshop build, it should be quite a workshop if you are building a 6 inch scale engine!

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 16:05:34
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 04/06/2019 12:33:48:

In terms of huge volumes of Hg, the Castner-Kelner process for producing chlorine and caustic soda by the electrolysis of brine is worth a mention. The old ICI "cell rooms" in Cheshire were incredible; in each, the amount of Hg could be around 100 tons, the current required upto 200,000 amps at 200V. The gap between the electrodes and the Hg surface was very critical for efficiency - too close and imagine the result !
Hazards of Hg were well known in the 60s and workers were routinely monitored. Mercury vapour was released along with the hydrogen from electrolysis and traps were needed to recover the liquid Hg. When the diaphragm process began to replace the mercury process from the mid 70s those huge volumes of Hg would have had to have been disposed of - maybe sold?

Crikey! That's a blast from the past! I was a fitter in those cell rooms, we regularly had 'piss tests' to monitor our Hg levels. Mercury seemed to be everywhere! When we 'hogged' the cell base plate we had to run the Mercury pumps to check the flow was straight down the middle of the cell for peak efficiency, it was a really beautiful sight to see a river of mercury shimmering down the base plate. The main cell rooms were 'J' 'K' and 'L' units. J and K ran at 200,000 amps and L unit ran at 400,000 amps.

The other big issue apart from Mercury was the powerful magnetism, which played havoc with steel toe capped boots!

Thread: North West 200 coverage
15/05/2019 22:22:12

I'm following the Northwest 200 via Isle of Man TT on Twitter, just found out that TT legend Michael Rutter will be riding a Honda RC213V-S GP replica in Saturdays Superbike race! should be fun on a road circuit! There is also the all new Ducati V4 Panigale and Norton too.

Thanks for the heads up. Racing is on Thursday and Saturday

Ian

Thread: Irish Road Racing season on TV
01/05/2019 22:17:32

Thanks for the heads up, it's good that the BBC NI are doing the coverage. I always watch the TT races on ITV4, they do some brilliant on-bike footage, usually the day after the race, but this year I think they have plans to do live coverage which will be even better.

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest