By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Johnson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Johnson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help choosing my lathe
22/01/2020 23:55:16

I only buy metric milling cutters for my metric milling machine nowadays. I've got loads of 3.175mm cutters which fit quite nicely in a 1/8" end mill holder laugh

Thread: London MEX on Forces TV
22/01/2020 18:48:30
Posted by martin perman on 22/01/2020 18:32:06:

Ian,

Just been through tomorrows listings, nothing mentioned.

Martin P

I can't help with the schedules, I don't know what time it's on, I'm just passing on some info from Forces TV and YouTube. Follow Jason's link for more info.

Ian

Thread: Help choosing my lathe
22/01/2020 18:24:53

If you are used to imperial get the imperial lathe. I've got an imperial mini lathe with dials reading 0.001" & 0.025mm per graduation, any error is not worth worrying about, and the final dimensions and finishing cuts will be measured anyway so with a bit of experience you will know how much to turn the dial.

My little milling machine is metric with dials only reading 0.025mm.

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

Good choice of lathe by the way, the 250V is a versatile machine, I was looking at the Chester DB10 which is similar.

Ian

Thread: Power Hacksaw Blades
22/01/2020 16:16:51

Possible source of hacksaw blades is from a Steam Fair, seen a few in the junk bins

I made a very useful machete out of a powered hacksaw blade years ago, use it to cut down troublesome shrubs, think it was an Eclipse blade about 16 inches long.

Added bonus! Now I'm ready for the Zombie apocalypse!

Ian

Thread: London MEX on Forces TV
22/01/2020 16:06:32

Just had a YouTube notification from 'ForcesTV' (UK Military TV channel) that they will be showing a new video on the channel tomorrow Thursday 23 with a visit to the London Model Engineering Show at Alexandras Palace.

Focusing on the model navy collection, apparently valued at £70,000.

No timings given, but if you want to watch the programme they recommend to check the channel listings.

Ian

Thread: Back plunger indicators - does anyone use them?
20/01/2020 22:35:19

I've got a nice Mercer which is only really used for tramming the mill tables, easy to see the dial face. Other than that particular job I can't see any advantage of using a back plunger dial gauge rather than the usual type or Verdict lever type.

20200120_221918[1].jpg

Ian

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition 2020
18/01/2020 23:43:00

Just got back from the London Show, It's a good excuse to meet up with my brother who lives in London and we both thought the show had deteriorated over a few years to a shadow of it's former self.

I have a small CNC mill and was disappointed there was nothing much for the CNC machinists, 3d printing, water jet cutting or laser cutting.

We did have a good look at the Hornby O gauge live steam display though, almost tempted to buy one!

Did I buy anything? Spent about fifty quid on bits and pieces, including left hand drills, taper pins, DCMT tips from JB Cutting tools and a little cheap and nasty vernier (£1) to put in my overall pocket, handy for measuring bolt diameters and anything else that requires rough and ready measurement.

Although the show did have attractions for the younger enthusiast, like a big table of Lego and R2D2 entertaining everyone I think the show needs to get up to speed with modern technology and maybe team up with other 'maker' organisations to put on a bigger joint show, and expand into the two big halls again.

Ian

Thread: Lathes as bling!
17/01/2020 20:59:18

The posts above made me think about Taiwan's relationship with China! I never really considered Taiwan as being part of China, it always seemed to be a separate entity to me! I think China may have 'claimed' Taiwan as part of their PRC territory.

17/01/2020 19:57:59
Posted by RMA on 17/01/2020 14:49:54:
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 17/01/2020 14:23:32:

There is a market for good quality lathes and they are made in Taiwan not China. In the USA Precision Mathews supply some Taiwanese made machines and they are very good quality, with a correspondingly higher price than Chinese made lathes. Myford lost the plot when they stopped making the 254, which could have been developed into the modern blingy lathe, I think they should have binned the traditional Myford lathe years ago. And I think Harrison M300 (and other models) lathes are now made in Taiwan too?

Ian

Have a look at Excel at Coventry. I bought one of their lathes way back in the 80's when Excel and Myford had stands at the London show. The Excel beat the Myford 254 hands down for value for money then, it also came with everything, and it's made in Taiwan.

Obviously models have changed since then, but their range is well worth looking at.

I've not considered Excel lathes before, so after a quick Google I found a few vendors selling a 330x1000 single phase Excel lathe in the UK for just over £7000. Little bit bigger than a myford more suited to a bigger workshop or toolroom, but if you are in the market for a quality bit of kit what's not to like? I saw a Myford top of the range ML7 for sale at a model engineering show for 12 grand!!! I know which one I would buy!

Ian

17/01/2020 16:51:21
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 15:35:42:
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 17/01/2020 14:23:32:

I don't know about blingy lathes but anybody can take photos with 10 grands worth of camera kit, and it's dead easy to take a very good photo these days with no effort at all, especially with digital photo manipulation.

There are some people who can reliably take better photos on a cellphone (or a box brownie) than some people can take with 10 grand of kit...

Same goes for lathes...

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 15:36:28

It's still easier to take a good photo than it is to make a steam engine! laugh

17/01/2020 14:23:32

I don't know about blingy lathes but anybody can take photos with 10 grands worth of camera kit, and it's dead easy to take a very good photo these days with no effort at all, especially with digital photo manipulation.

But making stuff out of metal and plastic is a lot harder to do.

That's why people will gravitate to the easier hobby of photographing ducks!

There is a market for good quality lathes and they are made in Taiwan not China. In the USA Precision Mathews supply some Taiwanese made machines and they are very good quality, with a correspondingly higher price than Chinese made lathes. Myford lost the plot when they stopped making the 254, which could have been developed into the modern blingy lathe, I think they should have binned the traditional Myford lathe years ago. And I think Harrison M300 (and other models) lathes are now made in Taiwan too?

Ian

Thread: Total power loss today!
12/01/2020 10:07:24

Yes the alarm needs servicing! But I think it is designed to detect interference with the power supply, I need to read the manual!

12/01/2020 00:54:36

This is a good news story:

Bit of a weird day today started at precisely 0730hrs (UK time) with the house intruder alarm going off, went down stairs in the pitch black to find nothing electrical working! Found a torch and checked fuses, slowly realised it was a power failure to the house.

Quick phone call to 105 electricity fault helpline, SP Energy sent out an engineer who arrived about 90 minutes later. Turns out my house supply is fed from next door, who also had no power. They organised a large portable wheeled generator to be delivered and wired up a temporary supply to both houses all done within 3-4 hours of the fault.

A couple of hours later a team arrived to dig up next doors front garden to find and fix the offending faulty joint, all done and full mains power back on by 10pm same day.

Excellent response from SP Energy and the guys doing the work, very professional.

It's good to see high standards and good work ethic still exists in the country.

Ian

Thread: Machine mart
12/01/2020 00:18:08

I ordered a small half ton arbor press on line from Machine Mart last month, because it said on line order only, to be picked up from the local store. Went to pick it up a couple of days later because it came from their main warehouse, and the bloke behind the counter said they had them in stock at their shop! No need to order it on line!

Moral of the story is to phone the local branch and check if they have it in their shop, or if they know if any of the other branches has the item. He said they stock 95% of what's in the catalogue and the computer system is archaic!

I like Machine Mart and spend money there often. It's one of the few places near me where I can get engineering stuff from.

Ian

Thread: The cultural status of engineers in the UK
10/01/2020 10:02:50
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 10/01/2020 07:43:24:

I spent my 50 year working life as a Toolmaker (Mould and Die) 22 of those years managing a company with 35 toolmakers. If I was in Italy or Germany I would be referred to as "Ing" and have some status for my skills. Here in the UK it is very much a blue collar/manual trade sneered at by many.

When I came out of my time I had the title of 'Esquire' abbreviated to 'Esq' on mail correspondence. After many years it seemed to fade away and was no longer used. Probably at the same time in the eighties when trades and skills were downgraded to an evil necessity in most companies, just when the service industries like banking, insurance and more office based work was becoming more prominent.

Thankfully the emphasis (in the UK) is turning back to a more balanced economy with a good mix of service and manufacturing, especially engineering.

Ian

09/01/2020 23:56:17

The status of engineering and associated trades is certainly gaining more respect in the UK these days, especially more so with the introduction of 'T' Level vocational qualifications which are set to be the equivalent of 'A' Level academic qualifications.

And it's my experience with both workshop and academia people that any fitter or engineer will always argue the toss with any head of department no matter how high they are in the food chain.

it seems to me that academia seem too eager to roll over and accept their so called peers commands.

Just my tuppence worth!

Ian

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 fixed steady
08/01/2020 21:32:31

Hi Gene here is a photo from my Hobbymat manual, it shows the set up using the angle plate to convert the lathe into a useful milling machine. The top slide is taken off and replaced by the angle plate. Remove the tool post and bolt the vice to the top slide. The top slide and vice is then bolted to the angle plate. All the holes will line up for easy fitment.

20191230_225636.jpg

Ian

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 20:38:27
Posted by duncan webster on 08/01/2020 15:27:12:

There actually is a British Standard (yes British, nothing to do with EU or ISO) for making a cup of tea

I'll drink to that!

Thread: Watch servicing
06/01/2020 14:48:41

I've got a very nice Longines watch which I haven't worn for about 20 years and I haven't worn any watch at all for the past 15 years or so!

Somebody else always knows the time! Or I just look at my mobile phone!

Not going to pay 55 million dolllars for one though!!!!

Ian

Thread: Hobbymat lathe - couple of questions
04/01/2020 21:19:17

No problem glad to help out, it's always a problem finding the right material at the right size for the right price! I usually pick up some good material in useful sizes from steam engine shows or classic motorbike shows also.

Your photos of the face plate and table should do the job, and if you were wondering how to convert your lathe to a mill using your angle plate and vice here is a page of the set up from the Hobbymat manual.

20191230_225636.jpg

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest