By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Swarf Maker

Here is a list of all the postings Swarf Maker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pink Flux-coated Silver Solder Rods
16/12/2016 14:25:18

A friend of mine overseas who is 'in' to motorcycle restoration required to silver solder a 1/4" copper pipe into a steel housing. Silver soldering or brazing was a new thing for his restoration repertoire and he purchased some pink flux coated rods which, on the face of it, were quite expensive.

He didn't use any flux on the components themselves and perhaps unsurprisingly, the result looks awful!

Does anyone have any experience of these rods and if so, what flux can be used to protect the components from oxidation as they come up to temperature and before the rod, with its flux, is applied?

I would be intrested to learn for my own benefit and, of course, to pass on the knowledge.

Thread: Elliot 3 1/2 dividing head.
08/12/2016 00:24:48

The key to dismantling something can often be found simply by thinking about how it was put together in the first place!

I would have assumed that the worm was no larger in diameter than the bushing, otherwise how would it be assembled? Granted, the worm will need to rotate as it is withdrawn from the worm wheel.

Edited By Swarf Maker on 08/12/2016 00:26:33

Edited By Swarf Maker on 08/12/2016 00:26:57

07/12/2016 23:50:24

As this bushing retains the worm shaft, isn't it a simple case of withdrawing the worm shaft such that it brings the remains of the bushing out with it?

If it's really tight then a tube with an internal bore larger than the bushing diameter and of a length such that the wormshaft nut can be tightened against a washer over the end of the tube, will allow tightening of the wormshaft nut to withdraw the shaft and the bushing.

Thread: Windows 10...more worries so listen...
29/05/2016 21:43:04

Has anybody any experience of the Pro version of Win10 and does it offer any more user control over what MS can and can't do to your system?

Thread: Recommissioning lathe size of hole to cut for belt
20/05/2016 14:25:49

Martin, you have a pm.

Thread: Stirling Engine : Laura
05/03/2016 12:34:59

I once thought that the taper on the fins of an air cooled engine were the result of a drafting angle for the castings.

However, there is some experimental science that shows that a tapered section fin conducts heat away from the base of the fin more rapidly than a fin of constant cross-section.

Thread: Help needed with CAD drawings
01/03/2016 18:47:39

QCAD does all that anybody is likely to wish to undertake in a 2D drafting environment. Like all packages, there is a learning curve, but QCAD is quite intuitive if you are used to manual drafting.

I don't think that it is fair to damn it if you have only spent such a short time trying to use it. Give yourself a bit more time playing and using the help.

Thread: Removing bearing housing
05/02/2016 14:39:01

On later magnetos the outer races of the bearings were insulated from the casing with dense insulating paper sleeves to avoid re-circulating earth currents being passed through the bearings and causing arc erosion. It may well be the case that this magneto has the same interface, in which case the differential heating method will not work - the paper grips both surfaces too well. Also, too high a heat and the insulator gets destroyed! I've sent you a personal message.

Edited By Swarf Maker on 05/02/2016 14:43:54

Edited By Swarf Maker on 05/02/2016 14:44:52

Thread: Prettiest Panther I've Seen
22/12/2015 14:24:03

In addition to the above link by 'KWIL', the pictured bike is a 1932 Model 100.

Thread: Affordable CAD software?.
14/12/2015 13:10:00

While Fusion 360 uses cloud storage for its proprietary file format, you do have the option of importing and exporting your work to your local storage. This seems to work well enough and I freely exchange files each way between F360 and TCAD Pro21 as some things are easiest done in one package or the other.

There are some detail differences between the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of TCAD Pro21 to be aware of. It also does on occasion get its knickers in a twist so saving progress frequently is worthwhile. Its ability to deal with many file types is a distinct advantage. I don't like its sequential history however and that is something that F360 has to strongly commend it. Being able to quickly and easily modify an earlier action is an excellent facility.

The best route to acquiring TCAD if you so wish is through 'PaulTheCAD' as advertised on this site. Very helpful.

The comments regarding whether files are compatible with industry standard machines is largely down to versions of supposedly standard 'file standards'. There are many subtle variations to trip everybody up - have a look at 'Teigha'.

'Onshape' also has some features that are quite useful such as the ease with which 2D drawings are taken from a 3D model. However, it does not have a 'quality' feel about it and having to be 'online' is a real pain with a slow connection, and for me, with several projects on the go at once, the 10 project limitation is a nuisance.

For most of what is normally required of a hobby manufacturing process, 2D CAD is the easiest and most useful thing to get proficient at. My previous recommendation of QCAD still stands in that regard.

Edited By Swarf Maker on 14/12/2015 13:25:39

13/12/2015 09:46:39

Peter Krogh,

I don't normally require to import files but I have just checked an import of an AutoCAD file from the net. It seems to have imported perfectly OK with all of the layers and attributes as one would expect them to be. Also, I am PC based so I suggest that you give QCAD a try on your MacBook. The latest version (3.12.4) is around $36.

12/12/2015 23:52:27

QCAD is brilliant. It can be used in much the same way as conventional drafting. It does not 'time expire' so you can use any version as long as you wish. It operates on just about any operating system, windows, linux, MAC, and does not 'embed' itself with lots of calls to the operating system. If you purchase a copy you get free updates throughout the following year and you can run different versions alongside each other if you are worried about any of the update versions. If you choose to subscribe for a further year you can do so with a loyalty discount. If you find a problem with it (there is continuous development) then the response is (in my experience) rapid and exemplary.

The dxf files seem to work correctly with the needs of laser, etc cutting programmes but I don't have CNC to check it with.

For 3D stuff the files import OK into TurboCAD v21 Pro, Onshape and Fusion 360.

Thread: where does one go.
14/12/2014 20:25:41

Ian, you have a personal message

Thread: Bridging the CAD CAM Divide
21/03/2012 20:54:52

Having only done technical drawing at school the search for an easy to use CAD programme for 2D led me to QCAD. It is an accurate, reasonably comprehensive and 'paper and pencil' intuitive programme that fills all of my requirements. A non technical friend has also found it easy to use and provide me with drawings of the bits he has needed me to make. Even my wife has used it for house layouts and garden plans!

Thread: 3 phase inverters - static vs digital
11/02/2012 20:17:23
Well, I'm not pretending that they are quiet but my rotary is the same as the one you have/had. My motor has been seperated from the control box as the box amplified the noise, and sits on a piece of construction (high density) foam. However, it is still inside the workshop sat alongside the Colchester Master 2500, and also powers the Centec and Beaver mills. The (portable) radio is perfectly audible when these machines are running and when I have visitors in the workshop, conversation is not a problem.

Clearly, we have different experience in this regard so perhaps I am particularly lucky in having a quiet motor!
09/02/2012 08:37:37
Don't get too hung up about the noise of a rotary - it's only the sound of a motor! Take some steps to prevent vibration transmitting to the floor and provide a bit of acoustic baffling. You can always seperate the electical box from the motor and put the motor outside of the workshop - suitably protected of course.
Thread: Stuart Beam engine
25/11/2011 00:04:22
Terry,

You have a PM.
Thread: Crompton Parkinson Motor Bearings
22/01/2010 13:28:42
Try Simply Bearings: website is www.simply bearings.co.uk.

They have oilite bushes at 16mm ID X 20mm OD X 25mm long so you could turn to suit. Part No AM1620-25 price £3.08 + VAT.

No connection with company other than good and fast service.

Does mean you may need to re-assemble the motor first of course!

Cheers,

Fred
Thread: Subscribers only
03/09/2009 21:42:25
This whole matter of favouring subscribers is totally wrong. As I have said once before, there are many of us for whom subscription to the paper magazine is not practical.

As newsagent buyers we pay more, get issues later and miss out on special offers. Now it seems we must miss out on archive and other useful information.

Will the publishers be restricting access to magazine subscribers that were not subscribers when the archive material was first published?

This is just a very poor commercial decision that has not been properly thought through.

Leave subscription to the paper product as is, with its current incentives. Make online access an independent subscription process.
25/08/2009 10:05:20
Hello to all on this site.

This is my first (and perhaps only) posting!

I am somewhat incensed by the concept of making certain content only available to magazine subscribers. Whilst I understand that there is a potential commercial incentive for the publishers in promoting guaranteed sales, it is unreasonably divisive for the purchasing public.

Subscribers already pay a lower price and benefit from cover offers. Should they get more?

My lifestyle makes subscription impractical and I like to get my magazines from shops wherever I might be at publication time. As a newsagent purchaser I pay more and get less.

With a view to the future and an increasing demand for electronic publication, the publishers could simplify the access conditions for this site, obtain some additional income, and pave the way for those who may only want electronic copy in the future.

Instead of locking content to magazine subscribers, make extra content available to website subscribers. In the first instance, some of the locked content might be free to those with sufficient interest to have set up an account. Other content in the future might attract a charge requiring subscription to the web content (which could still give a preferential rate to magazine subscribers if that were insisted upon by the publishers). Finally, this would pave the way for those wishing to subscribe to a magazine in purely electronic form.

The bottom line of what I have proposed is to segregate the use of the website from the mode of purchasing of a paper magazine. Does this make sense to others and satisfy the points already made in this thread?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest