By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Look
30/09/2013 14:28:08

Clickable links in BLACK!!! This is not serious - the whole rest of the world uses BLUE...

Greetings, HR.

Thread: Modern taps.......
29/09/2013 13:03:01

Tapping size for roll forming metric taps is easy: Just take the average between nominal size and the usual tapping hole diameter. Say for M6: nominal 6 mm, tapping size 5 mm, for a roll tap use 5.5 mm.

Don't know how it works out for other thread forms, but the manufacturere should know!!!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

P.S. they work also very well in free cutting steel

Edited By Versaboss on 29/09/2013 13:04:08

Thread: Help with this spline
16/08/2013 22:46:04

Just fyi, Stub: This is the axle for moving the quill of the FP1 up and down (like on a drill press).

The 'splines' mate with a rack cut into the quill,

How someone could bring that axle into such a desolate state goes over my head...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Tungsten Disulphide (WS2 )
14/08/2013 22:30:20

Try it and report, Paul!

I am interested in this (for another purpose) and wanted to make an order. But I was very p...d off when I saw that they send it with Fedex. Value of good £ 11.21 (without VAT); Fedex Economy £ 34.04, Fedex Priority £ 27.37 (!!!) . Delivery time difference is 2 days...
What's economy for them? What would Royal Mail ask for a 500 g parcel?
Well I have to admit it would be almost the same amount (£27 i mean) in the other directtion.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Harrier Grace or the 5"
27/07/2013 21:50:05

Harrier? isn't that a VTOL fighter? A bit early, methinks laugh

Hansrudolf

Thread: Feedscrews
26/07/2013 22:18:06

Easiest way out: buy one of these: cool

Vinylrecorder

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Using oil as coolant
10/06/2013 15:17:13

Hi Steamer,

how do you get the oil out of the swarf? I suppose such a 20 L canister as shown in the link above does not last very long if it is not possible to regain most of what clings to the swarf.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: centering the chuck
07/06/2013 18:34:48

Hi Becky, many good advices have been said above. I especially can endorse the trick to lightly tap the jaws or the workpiece with a plastic hammer. I have a small handle-less type residing on the lathe for this.

For what I will write now, I'm sure I will be nailed to the wall by others...
If you are really desperate, remove the chuck from its backplate and turn down the register one or 2 tenths of a mm. Remount the chuck afterwards. Then, if you loosen the screws which attach the chuck to the backplate (just a tiny bit), you can bring your finger thingy scale to good use and tapping the chuck and workpiece true. Don't forget to give these screws a bit of torsion again when you are happy with the runout.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Lathe Accuracy Problems
10/04/2013 22:29:10
Posted by ChrisH on 10/04/2013 18:36:39:

Only bright point was at the end I put a dial gauge on that reads to 0.0001in, and ran it down the length of cut and it confirmed that my mic readings were good!

Chris, that's something I don't really understand. When your turned bar is not parallel, and then you mount a dti (in the place of the tool I suppose), then the point of the dti should move along the same line as the tool's point before. So you cannot see a movement of the pointer, imho.

Now some questions. Which model of Weiler lathe is it? Weiler lathes are from the highest quality, and it is only 30 years old you say?

I own a Leinen of at least over 40 years old. Just a couple of days ago I turned a similar bar as you did, but the turned part (90 mm) was about 50-60 mm away from the chuck. As an experiment I used no tailstock support. The dia. difference was about 0.02 mm maximal (rather less iirc). This lathe cannot be 'corrected' with shims, as it is screwed down to the heavy stand since leaving the factory. Without having a look (rather difficult to do) I think there are only 2 screws, centrally arranged.

I know that this doesn't help you much, but I believe that you should get a better result from a Weiler.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Barrel Lap
19/03/2013 19:19:15

Thanks Graham (#2) for that link to moldshoptools. In umpteen years of buying tools I have never seen that such laps are commercially available.

As I just need some sizes, I made an order and they are already under way!

I made laps myself before, but at these prices - life is too short!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: How to stay in control of mill depth of cut? (My mill has no fine quill feed)
11/03/2013 22:28:36

ian, I see on your other photos that you added digital scales to a (this?) mill. So do it as I did on my Emco mill (I have the newer model, but think there is no difference in these parts:

- make an adaptor plate above the bracket which holds the z handwheel. It can be fastened with the same (or maybe a bit longer) 4 screws.

- make an adaptor plate and screw it to the side of the big square lump on which the head hangs.

- now mount a Chinese scale between these adaptor plates.

Just thinking about what I really did: the scale is free hanging (fixed on the top plate. only) The reading head is fixed on the lower adaptor. As usual the adaprors need some means to adjust the free running of the whole system, but in my case it works without troubles.

What wonders me a bit is that you have such a crude scale on Z. I did not work with my Emco since a long time (having other machines), but I can't remember that setting the vertical position is so coarse. I would not using the quill for setting depth; that's much too complicated to achieve any precision.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Edited By Versaboss on 11/03/2013 22:29:34

Thread: Turning hard stuff
22/02/2013 22:58:55

Yes, even hardened steel can be turned.

These are commercial cylindrical dowels, 12 mm diameter. They are hardened trrough (not only case hardened).

Turning with Sumitomo cermet insert (with diamond honed edge).

600 RPM, d.o.c 0.25 mm, feed around 0.1 mm.

I wish every material I use would give that mirror-like surface!

p1020404 (small).jpg

p1020405 (small).jpg

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Adverts obliterate text
16/02/2013 17:07:24

Well Wolfie, maybe you would see even better solutions when you look at the HTML of e.g. this page.

After some preliminary stuff it starts with writing "My goodness, that was quick..." and ensd with "...resize images automatically <p> Ian"

After this (and you agree that HTML is processed/rendered top to bottom?) it starts writing the side columns, which then in some cases write over the text.

So it would (imho) be a very easy solution to change the sequence oof these parts, and write the forum text last. That would perhaps miff the advertisers, but as you can see the same in every thread the damage would be minimal.

If I'm wrong, please explain. I don't know much about HTML, I admit.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Brass Durability
02/02/2013 12:11:54

If it looks like brass but is d@mn hard it could well be Aluminium Bronze. The colour is almost the same. I once gave up drilling a 3 mm hole in this stuff (yes I used a good drill...)

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Offline copies
29/01/2013 22:29:02

Ooooops - what happened with my posting about using Windows Script to download and save the digital content?

Did I reveal a well hidden secret here? Maybe my idea was not altogether bad, or else there would not be reason for censorship.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

(wonder what happens with this one ...)

Thread: Ad link broken?
14/01/2013 23:36:59

Just saw that the problem only exists when I choose 'open in new tab'.

A direct click is ok.

Sorry for the slight confusion,

Hansrudolf

Thread: Which tool to cut small rods of D2 steel
14/01/2013 23:32:05
Posted by LADmachining on 14/01/2013 15:47:07:

I guess that is a copy of some data from a table in your last post. I would ignore all of it, as it will only really apply to you if you had a large industrial lathe or machining centre. For a small hobby lathe (you don't specify which one), all of that goes out of the window.

True, JS did not say which lathe he has. But the vc value of 15 m/min seems very correct for me on any lathe and HSS tooling. I admit that the f and ap values would be a tad high for an Unimat wink !

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Ad link broken?
14/01/2013 23:16:30
Posted by Steambuff on 14/01/2013 21:57:12:

They work OK for me ... so someone must have fixed it

Dave

Not true here - just checked with two ads. Both came back full circle to this page.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Using a shaping machine
27/12/2012 21:57:53

Until now no one mentioned that the vise of the Boxford shaper can be mounted on the side of the worktable. The hole for this can be seen clearly in the picture above. The O.P. could have avoided lots of troubles if he did it that way.

Happy New Year,

Hansrudolf

Thread: Lathe gears
18/12/2012 22:26:21
Posted by Terryd on 18/12/2012 14:19:20:

I apologise for my omission and oversight and hope that I have not irritated you so much as to spoil your Christmas celebrations.

Best regards and seasons greetings,

Terry

No, Terry, not much Christmas celebrations here winkand no need to apologise! It was not you who wrote that description I think, or are you khkgears.co.uk perchance?

Kind regards and greetings too,

Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest